Topic: I have a few questions.

1) I am wanting to know information about fueling. The first race we will be running in is going to be Gingerman. I see that Gingerman sells fuel, can we fill our 5 gallon jugs and then fuel the car with the jugs in the pit? is anyone using the NASCAR style 11 gallon fuel jugs to refill?

2) We will be running a 1988 rust bucket...I mean Integra. Do people chain or strap the rear of the car down on front wheel drive cars so during breaking weight transfer is limited?

3) I see SS headers on ebay for 50 dollars including shipping...has anyone had any experiences with these breaking or cracking?

4) Has anyone tried going to one of the Evening Test and Tunes at Gingerman with a Lemons car?

5) Our car currently has 14" minivan wheels on it, but it came with 13" steel wheels also. What is the best/cheapest tire for 13" wheels that is close to the 190 wear rating?

Thanks,

Team Lousy Liars

Re: I have a few questions.

6)  Is 1/8" thick Lexan from Home Depot good enough for a front windshield?

1) We use 8 gallon quick fill jugs.

That's all I can help with.

AndrewJ wrote:

1) I am wanting to know information about fueling. The first race we will be running in is going to be Gingerman. I see that Gingerman sells fuel, can we fill our 5 gallon jugs and then fuel the car with the jugs in the pit? is anyone using the NASCAR style 11 gallon fuel jugs to refill?

Only buy track fuel if you have to.  It gets expensive.  There are gas stations within a few miles of GingerMan.  It's best to have as many 5 gallon cans as you can get your hands on.  It takes time to go get fuel, so the fewer trips, the better.  We had four 5 gallon jugs and an 11 gallon jug at the CCWS race in August and it worked pretty well.  CCWS only allows 5 gallon jugs to be used for fuelling, so the 11 gallon jug was just used during runs to the gas station.  The best jugs are those with a large diameter hose.  Be sure whatever you use fits in your car's filler neck.  Our 36 year old Datsun has a 2-1/2" hole, so it makes it easy.  Modern cars are much smaller and most race can hoses won't fit past the neck.

AndrewJ wrote:

4) Has anyone tried going to one of the Evening Test and Tunes at Gingerman with a Lemons car?

Yes.  One important thing to know is that they charge per driver, so you will be overpaying if you bring several teammates.  Otherwise, it's a good deal and they have no problem with crapcans.  Sadly, someone died there two weeks ago at a test and tune.  The initial thinking is that he had a heart attack before going off track and crashing into a corner station.  No matter what they find, it wouldn't surprise me if they change their T&T rules.  They have no ambulance on site and only man a few corner stations.  If they are forced to add more workers, the price might have to go up.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

If we get our heap done in time, we are thinking of bringing it out to Gingerman on a Wednesday night. I'll PM you if it happens.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

Try to avoid Wednesdays.  They allow motorcycles on Wednesdays, so it adds a run group and the cars get less track time.

We are going to miss the GingerMan Lemons race.  One teammate's wife is pregnant and is on bedrest and another just got laid off, so we will be lucky to get back on the track again this year.  We want to hit a Grattan open track day in October, but I don't see it happening.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

AndrewJ wrote:

2) We will be running a 1988 rust bucket...I mean Integra. Do people chain or strap the rear of the car down on front wheel drive cars so during breaking weight transfer is limited?

3) I see SS headers on ebay for 50 dollars including shipping...has anyone had any experiences with these breaking or cracking?

5) Our car currently has 14" minivan wheels on it, but it came with 13" steel wheels also. What is the best/cheapest tire for 13" wheels that is close to the 190 wear rating?

Thanks,

Team Lousy Liars

My two cents, YMMV:

1. You can use the 11 gallon jugs in Lemons. We will be trying an 11 gallon jug out at MSR-H, but not one of the expensive Nascar metal cans.
2. I've never seen it in Lemons, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I think that cutting the coils is probably more common.
3. Keep in mind that Lemons is first and foremost an endurance race. It isn't really about HP so much as it's about keeping your car on track for the longest durations. If you put a go-fast part on your car and then it breaks and you have to fix it while other cars are still circulating, you've done worse than if you'd kept the stock part on the car. It's easy to get caught up in modifying your car for more HP or speed, but if it comes at the cost of reliability, it's very probably not worth it for an endurance race. Just ask Peugeot how their program worked out this year for using lighter con rods at Le Mans to make more power. Sure, they made more power -- until they grenaded all their engines.

Good luck!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Keep in mind that Lemons is first and foremost an endurance race. It isn't really about HP so much as it's about keeping your car on track for the longest durations.

^^^That is what you need to keep telling yourself.  The two main enemies in pretty much all motorsports are weight and heat.  Make the car as light as possible and do everythiing you can to prevent it from overheating.  I'll wager more cars go boom due to overheating than any other single issue.  IOW, a perfomance mod it won't due you any good if the car overheats and you are sitting in the paddock working on it.  Translation - Make sure the entire cooling system is in good working order and forget the power adders.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

As for tires, I would suggest looking for 15" wheels. Your tire selection is excellant in that size, and you could fit larger rotors and callipers from a 3rd gen integra or a civic.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

To the points made above, we have a 55HP Geo Metro that weighs about 1700lbs.  It's slow, but handles decently.  Had we not had three off's (and 3 black flags) the first day, and had not sat for the last 3 1/2 hours of Saturday, we would've been around the 490 lap mark, which would've been a class win and about 7th overall (from an "ugly car").

While other teams were wrenching, we waxed the car, fueled the car, changed the oil, checked tire pressures and ate steak and drank beer. 

A light car is easy on brakes and tires also.  We had about 500 miles on the track, and our pads look brand new.  We won't even change them prior to the Autobahn race.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.