Topic: A plea for help

Ok, The safety gear I was going to borrow pretty much fell through yesterday. Our team is going to (hopefully) race at MSR next weekend, but we effectively have no safety gear. Does anyone who is going to be at the race have any extra safety gear my team could borrow/rent for the weekend? I'm desperate here, any help would be immensely appreciated. My e-mail is taylornorton@att.net, again thanks a million billion to any one who replies.

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

Re: A plea for help

be specific: Car gear ie: belts, seat, extinguisher, cutoff switch? Driver gear ie: Helmets, gloves, suit, shoes? Sizes?

With all respect, I don't see this being a good idea for anyone. While we all want to be nice, with all of the running around and important timing that goes on in a race you don't want to put safety gear in the middle of it.

You really need your own stuff.

Specifically we need suits (gloves & shoes) and helmets. I know this is not the greatest idea, but I am running out of options. Thanks for you help!

#101 Moby Slick

You could always pool your money together and buy 1 suit to share.

Another fella on here was renting safety gear:
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=5628

6 (edited by Mulry 2010-09-01 08:19 PM)

I've got an extra suit you can have. Double-XL (I think, maybe triple?) UltraShield multilayer. Black, nearly brand new, never used (very slightly stained on the white stretchy part from some water damage when it was in my bag at soggy Nelson Ledges last year but dry cleaned since then). Comes with a matching and barely used (maybe not used at all?) neck roll. I'll trade both for a case of good beer (Shiner or better).

If you're really in a pinch and you're in the North Texas area, you might try to run by Smiley's in Mesquite. They stock a ton of safety gear. It's not the cheapest, but it is at least readily available on very short notice.

I've also got a used 6-point harness (latch/link) that's still in spec and was used for 2 races, never crashed, good condition. It's yours for another case of beer (see the theme here?).

Lemme know if you need me to bring the stuff to Houston with me.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Whatever anyone thinks, you should plan ahead to have your own gear.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

8 (edited by T-Money645 2010-09-02 05:20 AM)

Hey, do you think this helmet would pass if we wore goggles with it? Its full face but does not have a visor.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … oduct=2393

Thanks again to those who have offered help.

#101 Moby Slick

T-Money645 wrote:

Hey, do you think this helmet would pass if we wore goggles with it? Its full face but does not have a visor.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … oduct=2393

Thanks again to those who have offered help.

No sir. From the rules:

3.4: Driver's Helmet: Undamaged, full-face Type SA helmet, Snell SA2000 or better, mandatory. FIA 8860-2000 certification is acceptable. No open-face helmets allowed, ever, period, finito. Visors must be intact and in place.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

trekkor wrote:

Whatever anyone thinks, you should plan ahead to have your own gear.

Not to beat this dead horse, but what he said.  Was your whole team planning to borrow safety gear...like four suits, helmets etc?  I personally don't see how you could ALL share one setup.  Talk about the worlds longest pit stop for a driver change.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

11 (edited by T-Money645 2010-09-02 06:09 AM)

Thats what I figured, thanks for confirmation. We had two full sets lined up to borrow, but it fell through a few days ago. It would have meant longer pits, but it would have saved us all a ton of cash. We are all fairly broke and were expecting to be able to borrow previously mentioned equipment, so none of use budgeted in 500-600 a person for safety gear. Lesson learned, but there isn't time is moan about, we just have to start begging and hope for the best.

#101 Moby Slick

Check NASA and SCCA websites for cheap gear.  Ebay also has used/ closeouts.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

13 (edited by wgriffin4 2010-09-02 09:07 AM)

Borrowing safety equipment is usually not a grand idea......especially on a race day that is expected to be HOT!

Check the forums and eBay for people selling used safety gear.....peeps getting out of racing usually sell for rather cheap.

Bill Griffin
Hazardous Motorsports - Jimmie's Johnson Racing #48
1995 Ford Mustang

So have you seen this for $425?

http://yhst-14891464457018.stores.yahoo … h-kit.html

Even when you buy "closeouts", this still turns out to be the best deal for EVERYTHING you need (except for neck roll) and it arrives in just a couple days. most of the new folks who have driven in one of my cars have bought this. $250/person with shipping and you can have 2 setups to swap (which isn't so bad).

Spank wrote:

So have you seen this for $425?

http://yhst-14891464457018.stores.yahoo … h-kit.html

Even when you buy "closeouts", this still turns out to be the best deal for EVERYTHING you need (except for neck roll) and it arrives in just a couple days. most of the new folks who have driven in one of my cars have bought this. $250/person with shipping and you can have 2 setups to swap (which isn't so bad).

That's a damn good deal!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I was able to snip a 3.2/5a drivers suit on ebay for $136 (shipped) and a Simpson helmet for $250 at Summit Racing. Gloves and shoes from Summit as well. This put me at $486, a tad higher than the deal above, but I don't have to use the nomex underware. The deal for $425 is about as cheap as it gets. I only went the way I did because I have a 0% deal on my Summit card.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

Spank wrote:

You could always pool your money together and buy 1 suit to share.

Another fella on here was renting safety gear:
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=5628

http://racesuitrental.com/rent_gear.html

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Some of the guys from GoMotorBids.com were at the Omaha race, and they often have used-but-serviceable race suits (with weird sponsor patches and all) at cheap prices.

If you do wind up buying any stuff online, make sure to steer away from any Impact Racing suits. Unless you can prove that they were manufactured in 2009 or 2010 (and good luck with that, since the suits don't typically carry a date of manufacture on them), Impact Racing suits have been de-certified and won't pass muster at tech.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.