Topic: First Race -- what do you need to bring?

Have car -- all safety gear/suits/  think we have the basics for driving.

What else is needed/suggested?

Fire Extinguisher?

Fuel Cans -- what size/what type?

What are the R&Rs needed:
cooler/beer/water
chairs?
Is there a place to get out of the heat?
Will ICE/food be available?

how much space will there be?

When are the gates open for off loading -- we get in Thursday.

I'm sure we'll forget something -- many things -- but the better
we can prepare -- the better off we'll be.

thx,

M

2 (edited by Mulry 2010-09-03 01:11 PM)

Re: First Race -- what do you need to bring?

You must have a fire extinguisher (a) in your car to pass tech and (b) one for fueling. Most teams have 2, but you could use the same one for both functions but it will slow down your stops. Make sure that you bring a jack and jackstands, those are mandatory to take to tech so they can get under the car to see your exhaust and gas tank. Might want to bring a wagon if you have one, it's handy for dragging your stuff to tech and also to get your fuel (&etc.) back and forth from the hot pits.

Fuel cans are necessary, but size and type are up to you. Lots of teams use the 5-6 gallon ones that you find at circle track race shops that run about $15 each, but you can use the ones you buy at Wal-Mart just fine too. Might want to make sure to bring something to drain oil/coolant into, as well as extra oil and water for the car.

Bring everything you would think that you'd need for a 2 or 3-day tailgate. Food, drinks, ice, chairs, tables, plates, napkins, cutlery. There is a very small concession stand that is open during the race on Sat and Sun, but it's not usually open early for breakfast. It gets very busy. We always bring all our food for the weekend. I don't think that there is an ice machine on premises, but I might just be spacing that. We always bring 3-4 coolers and recharge the ice at the gas station on the way back to the track in the mornings.

There is not really anyplace to get out of the heat for much time at all. The spotter positions on top of the garage row are covered but not enclosed. Your best bet is to either set up camp inside your trailer (if enclosed) or bring a pop-up shelter or canopy to keep the sun off you and your team.

Don't forget to bring spares. You can go overboard with this, so you'll just have to use your best judgment on what to bring and what to leave behind. If you live closer to the track, this is an easier decision.

It's looking like you might want to bring rain gear too, but keep an eye on the forecast. It is the height of hurricane season...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Guys running light 4 cyl cars, what is typical amount of fuel you guys use? Sorry for the minor 'jack, but the it might help the OP. I know it is dependent on the car, how you drive etc. etc. Just looking for a rough guess.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

We burn about 4 gallons an hour.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

What to bring:
Every tool you own x2
Lots of booze to borrow the tools you forget
a couple hundred in 20's for more shit you forgot
A credit card with a high limit for all the parts you break that you can't fix with everyone else's tools

Yup, that will cover it.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Here's an extended Ford 1-ton van and what we brought to our first race:

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/1571478/100_2508_detail.JPG

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

What to bring:
Every tool you own x2
Lots of booze to borrow the tools you forget
a couple hundred in 20's for more shit you forgot
A credit card with a high limit for all the parts you break that you can't fix with everyone else's tools

Yup, that will cover it.

Good answer !!!!!

A couple of beater bicycles will save you a lot of walking, especially at venues like MSR and Thunderhill.

A parts car is a really, really good idea. If you can't bring a parts car, bring a junkyard engine.

Judge Phil wrote:

A couple of beater bicycles will save you a lot of walking, especially at venues like MSR and Thunderhill.

A parts car is a really, really good idea. If you can't bring a parts car, bring a junkyard engine.

this

You will get tired of walking.

and we are bringing a junk engine for parts in case something happens to our $50 junkyard powerplant. What could possibly go wrong?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Look at your garage/driveway/wherever your car and bits are parked.  Now find a way to stuff all that in your truck/van/geo.  The one thing you decide you wont need and leave out due to space....yep, that's the one you'll need.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Tarp to lay on, sunblock by the barrel, know the primary size of bolts on your car and bring three sockets/wrenches that will fit them, spare belts, spare hoses, spare radiator, minimum of 6 wheels/tires, spare set of rotors and pads, container of random nuts and bolts, spare lug nuts, electrical tape, gloves, burn kit, first aid kit, safety glasses, Sawzall, big hammer, bigger hammer, charged up extra battery, LOTS of water, stuff needed to bleed your brakes and RainX. 

Organize before you go.  Put things in bins.  Label them.  Come with a sense of humor and have fun.

Every single non-cosmetic part you took off your car. Seriously. We ran into overheating problems with our revised setup and had to go back to stock - which was back at the garage. Fortunately it was only 45 minutes away and not all our team had even left there yet.

Every tool you own including ones that don't have anything to do with your car. You can barter them to other teams that need them. Don't forget things like a sawzall and come-along for emergency bodywork.

If you have any power tools, bring a generator just in case you can't get track power.

Every pair of clean underwear you own - because that goes in the race suit with you and gets turned into a sweat-soaked rag that you totally do not want to wear when you change back into real clothes.

All the air handling gear you can swing - at least one fan you can point at the radiator when it's in the paddock, and some stuff to point.

A shelter of some kind. We have a BIG tent that the whole car (and the whole crew) will fit under for shade. Something that just the front half of the car will fit under is plenty, though. This is especially important if you aren't bringing an RV.

If you intend to use your enclosed trailer as anything other than parking and storage space, INSULATE IT AND AIR CONDITION IT. PERIOD. We had an air conditioner running into our (black, aluminum-roofed) trailer and no insulation - if we hadn't had as much water as we did, there would have been hospital trips. You need both.

Speaking of water and hospital trips... Bring as much water as you can carry. We had 8 cases of non-booze liquid for 10 people. It was barely enough, and wouldn't have been if people hadn't gone home overnight. Water is both cheap and life-sustaining. Don't cut corners.

That said, warm water sucks. Fill every cooler you can find with ice, and figure out where you can buy more nearby.

A tow strap of your own, and a vehicle to tie it to. You DON'T want to have to push your car all the way across the paddock by hand.

PHONE CHARGERS. A lot of these racetracks are out in the middle of nowhere and even if your phone has 5 days of battery life, it'll probably drop to less than a day as it amps up its transmission power in a struggle to stay in contact with the network.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Spank wrote:

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photo … detail.JPG

That's all you brought?

http://pic.phyrefile.com/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/06/18/LSP_1.JPG

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

PunisherBass wrote:
Spank wrote:

That's all you brought?

http://pic.phyrefile.com/p/pu/punisherb … /LSP_1.JPG

To be totally fair most of that was filled with car. A 1-ton van holds FAR more than the actual surviving cargo space in the front of the trailer.

Team FinalGear

A couple of magnetic parts trays for nuts and bolts and a dedicated tarp to spread under the car if you work on grass/dirt. A cordless drop light is good, as well as those headband LED spot lights campers use. Spare brake bleeders. Spare lug nuts ( I used to wire two spares to the roll cage) A distributor cap with wires pre-attached and tagged with masking tape for quick installation. Paint/Sharpie your firing order on the underside of the hood along with any timing spec and plug gap....oh yeah, spare plugs. Lots and lots of rags. Waterless hand cleaner. Safety glasses. Anti-fog stuff for your visor. A nail brush....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

16 (edited by PunisherBass 2010-09-03 10:13 PM)

EyeMWing wrote:
PunisherBass wrote:
Spank wrote:

That's all you brought?

http://pic.phyrefile.com/p/pu/punisherb … /LSP_1.JPG

To be totally fair most of that was filled with car. A 1-ton van holds FAR more than the actual surviving cargo space in the front of the trailer.

Perfectly good joke you had to go and ruin.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

jimeditorial wrote:

Anti-fog stuff for your visor.

Lemon Pledge works pretty well for this. Seriously.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

jimeditorial wrote:

Paint/Sharpie your firing order on the underside of the hood

That reminds me, a sharpie for everyone on your team in case you get the Bart Simpson. None shall be provided.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

Paint/Sharpie your firing order on the underside of the hood

That reminds me, a sharpie for everyone on your team in case you get the Bart Simpson. None shall be provided.

Cordless drill and heavy-duty sheet metal screws for installation of tires to the roof.

Oh, wait!  Nobody on this forum will need supplies for either the Bart Simpson or the tire penalty - we're all angelic drivers.  Awww...

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

20 (edited by Spank 2010-09-04 09:06 AM)

Something I wish we would have had: a Videographer who also has backup batteries and extra memory cards/tapes. So much is happening your first time there you miss more than half of it. With someone who just captures goings-on in video, you can watch what you missed later once you've fully recovered from the weekend.

Actually, it might be kinda fun to have a Wedding theme complete with videographer just for that purpose. When the track goes cold Saturday night, have a mock reception complete with cheesy DJ who holds such wedding reception favorites like the "Judge/Daughter --- Mother/Sonsofbitches" dance and of course, the chicken dance and The Hustle.

If you have random junkyard radiators lying around, bring them all. You'll be able to trade them for cool stuff to desperate teams.

Motrin and beer.  Otherwise, you won't be able to sooth your sorrows after race days #1 and #2.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

The first two Lemons races we did (Toledo and Nelson) it POURED rain.  So plan for wet weather, drop some coin on a good easy up to park the car under.  Even if it doesnt rain its nice to have shelter for shade and so forth.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Things we should have brought to our last two races:

* Drip trays for fueling
* Spare master brake cylinder
* Heavy duty cutting tools (this is what you'll do if you don't have it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9GwKpsNSXA)
* 30 gallons of water (for us, not the car)
* Giant tent/canopy for shade
* Fast fueling jugs, the ones we had take about 3-4 minutes for 5 gallons, which adds up over 2 days
* A good bribe, er, gift for the judges
* Food/beer for other teams, helps grease the skids and make friends

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

25 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-09-05 02:50 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

If you have random junkyard radiators lying around, bring them all. You'll be able to trade them for cool stuff to desperate teams.

On this note, I will be bringing this glorious item to CMP:
http://www.phyrefile.com/image/view/2v5B2RM9bqG2nlyZ

Yep. That's a radiator. With no fins (the ones in the picture have since washed away in the rain). Somehow, it actually worked, too.

Team FinalGear