Re: Using Che Guevara image riles some Cuban Americans

the more comments in the news posts i read, the more I laugh my ass off. I am not sure which is more funny, the Pro-Che people who think we're abusing his image or the misguided idiots who think we're idolizing him somehow.

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00725/kuba59_batista_DW_P_725200a.jpg

I can see that I'll need the full Fulgencio Batista outfit for the Miami race.

Judge Phil wrote:

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/0 … 25200a.jpg

only if you shave your moustache and slick your hair back like that! hahahaha

The local news is reporting that the Logo is going to be changed.

http://m.tcpalm.com/news/2010/sep/08/ju … -year-eve/

Floridiot wrote:

This makes me sad. I wish Jay could find a new venue that get Lemons, instead of changing. That would be a true Cuban tribute: When the powers that be tell you that you can not use the advertisement you want, run away!

Something I really don't get is why change the name of the race? I mean, it's called "Northern Cuba" not "Race of the Cuban Murderers". What is offensive about naming a race after an island?

Phil, convince Jay to change the name of the Dallas race to "Stalin's Mother Russia Race of the West".

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Wasn't Fangio kidnapped in Cuba during the revolution? gotta be a theme there somewhere

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

"It's a free country" they say. Sure it is, there's your proof. Can't take a joke MF's....Just for that, I'm not going to Miami.

I think we need to have the race in Cuba. They won't object to using El Che.

The 52nd Annual "Where's Fangio?" Scavenger Hunt.

All it takes to get your way is to be butt-hurt about something.

Time to bolt on a Megasquirt and a GT3071R on our car. See you in BS. Our car will be the one that says "Cubans" on it. Don't like it? You don't like Cubans.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Floridiot wrote:

"This shows good taste."

Just goes to show you, there's a first time for everything.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

There is something odd, fishy, about that story. Usually a news writer looks for ways to insert conflict into a story, but this one goes all in one direction, no dissenting opinions, no controversy. It's a "Jay has seen the error of his ways and will do things our way now, so you can all go back to what you were doing." story.

Maybe its time to change the theme to "Racing for Ellio Gonzalez", or however you spell his name.

If they are going to change the name of our race, maybe it could be the 24 Hours of English Speaking America or something like that.

The reality is our country was founded primarily by a bunch of Europeans.  I have Italian and supposedly Irish decedents to name a few.  I don't consider myself an Italian-American, Irish-American or Italian-Irish-American, I'm an "American."

Our founding fathers are of all these various backgrounds and yet somehow they  all managed to write the Constitution and Bill of Rights in English.  They did not officially declare English as our national language but the writing is on the wall or in this case on the articles that founded our country.

If they change the name of the race and the logo, I think all the racers should put it on their cars.

If some Cuban-Americans are offended, they could go back to being Cubans.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

m610 wrote:

There is something odd, fishy, about that story. Usually a news writer looks for ways to insert conflict into a story, but this one goes all in one direction, no dissenting opinions, no controversy. It's a "Jay has seen the error of his ways and will do things our way now, so you can all go back to what you were doing." story.

Maybe its time to change the theme to "Racing for Ellio Gonzalez", or however you spell his name.

the article states back-handedly that the track owners were pressured to step in to the discussion.  i'm quite sure that is the only reason the changes are taking place.

but i am sure given the twisted minds of Lemons staffers, we haven't seen the last of this. 

i see ESL penalties, rubber raft penalties, fruit basket hat penalties,oh the possibilities.

is it true Batista fled on New Years Eve?

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

39 (edited by m610 2010-09-08 08:17 AM)

"The Hyphenated-American GP"? a celebration of America's multi-disingenuous-culturalism.

Special awards given for anyone who wants to milk the "I'm really from somewhere else, even though my parents came here 100 years ago, so treat me special" lame excuse for whatever you need an excuse for at the moment.

Penalty box:
Judges: Contact on the track, your penalty is a three-legged race around the....
Self-described Victim: As a German-American whose family fled Bismark's war in the 1890's I demand that...
Judges: OK, a 10-legged race. Go find 9 more hyphenated Americans, preferably Bismarkian-Americans, and duct tape yourselves together...

Troy wrote:

If they are going to change the name of our race, maybe it could be the 24 Hours of English Speaking America or something like that.

The reality is our country was founded primarily by a bunch of Europeans.  I have Italian and supposedly Irish decedents to name a few.  I don't consider myself an Italian-American, Irish-American or Italian-Irish-American, I'm an "American."

Our founding fathers are of all these various backgrounds and yet somehow they  all managed to write the Constitution and Bill of Rights in English.  They did not officially declare English as our national language but the writing is on the wall or in this case on the articles that founded our country.

If they change the name of the race and the logo, I think all the racers should put it on their cars.

uh, our country was founded basically by English dudes...I don't see a lot of French, Greek, Italian, Polish, German, Finnish, or Spanish guys in that group.  they wrote the documents in English b/c that's what they spoke, not b/c they intended English to be some sort of standard.

and how is any of that relevant anyway?

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Troy wrote:

I don't consider myself an Italian-American, Irish-American or Italian-Irish-American, I'm an "American."

I AGREE 100%!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyone who is offended is welcome to leave the good ole USA any time.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

That article also notes that fans were upset by all this. What fans? Lemons has fans?

Buzz Killington wrote:

uh, our country was founded basically by English dudes...I don't see a lot of French, Greek, Italian, Polish, German, Finnish, or Spanish guys in that group.  they wrote the documents in English b/c that's what they spoke, not b/c they intended English to be some sort of standard.

and how is any of that relevant anyway?

Umm, the Declaration of Independence was printed in German before it was printed in English. There was such a huge German influence in America, we almost joined Germany's side in World War I.

Spain settled most of the southwest, and France the south. The English are just really good at bureaucracy, and took control of the Spanish and French territories.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

IgnoranteWest wrote:
Floridiot wrote:

"This shows good taste."

Just goes to show you, there's a first time for everything.

Hrm, something less offensive.....

24 Hours of Lemons - The Cuban Blockage

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

45 (edited by Tyrannosullyrex 2010-09-08 10:02 AM)

Be sure to have Che as the image on the "bribed" stencil.

Or a "modified" Che.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ywaf5s.jpg

this is such crap.  we should all roll our crap cans down through little havana all with che and fidel themes on them.

very disappointing that jay would do this.  it's not like there are many locals that come to these things to spend money anyway.  must have been track management coming down on this

Judge Phil wrote:

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/0 … 25200a.jpg

don't forget your gold plated telephone

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Gold_coated_telephone_batista_ITT_habana.JPG

eljefe17 wrote:

this is such crap.  we should all roll our crap cans down through little havana all with che and fidel themes on them.

very disappointing that jay would do this.  it's not like there are many locals that come to these things to spend money anyway.  must have been track management coming down on this

You realize that this would be about as dumb as rolling through a gang neighborhood with gang-themed cars, right?

Y'all are taking this way too seriously.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:
eljefe17 wrote:

You realize that this would be about as dumb as rolling through a gang neighborhood with gang-themed cars, right?

Y'all are taking this way too seriously.

i was joking, and yes, it is dumb, but no less so than the calls for censorship

sergio wrote:

I think we need to have the race in Cuba. They won't object to using El Che.

Think of the totally awesome old cars we'd find!

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/