Topic: slight green tinge to water

I have emptied and refilled the engine and radiator 3 times.  When you open the radiator and look inside the water has a slight greenish tint.  Will this be a problem in tech?

Re: slight green tinge to water

remove top radiator hose or thermostat housing or both, start up car, feed freshwater garden hose into the inlet and watch the water come out of the thermostat housing / top hose while the engine is running. When it's clear, shut off car, top off and you're done. Draining and refilling will not flush it out. It's gotta cycle through and to make that happen the water pump should be turning (and thermostat open or removed) and to make that happen the engine has to be running.

Thanks, auto mechanix 101 thanks to the race.

4 (edited by OMGuar 2010-09-09 05:31 AM)

Don't leave water in the radiator between races! The slow build up of rust could possibly pose a problem but  that's nothing compared to the fear of freezing.  If you should happen to leave it outside when it freezes you probably just bought yourself a new engine and maybe a radiator as well.
  Bring a Magic marker and masking/duck tape to the track with you..
  Write in big letters          NO WATER        and tape it over the tach untill you fill the radiator then tear it off.  Make it a habbit and you won't regret it..   (You'll also learn to carry water to the race track with you, a smart thing I promise you)..
  It's not so much now but at the end of the season and you come home worn out and maybe the car let you down again! So you shove it into the back yard and come spring you now have a reason not to go racing or a expense you hadn't planned on.. even if it never freezes the rust generated over the winter from water sitting in there will cause the car to run hust.. If it runs hot enough you can't simply flush the rust away completely!

You should turn on your heater too the get stuff moving through the heater core.  I left water in our Volvo over winter and it froze solid.  We were lucky and only had to replace the radiator.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Trevor57 wrote:

You should turn on your heater too the get stuff moving through the heater core.  I left water in our Volvo over winter and it froze solid.  We were lucky and only had to replace the radiator.

Heater core?  Who still has one of those?  This past February at CMP I wish we still had ours (and the HVAC duct work) to make the defroster work.

FWIW, we added anti-freeze to our car last winter and then re-flushed the whole system again when racing season started up again this year.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Trevor57 wrote:

Heater core?  Who still has one of those?  This past February at CMP I wish we still had ours (and the HVAC duct work) to make the defroster work.

FWIW, we added anti-freeze to our car last winter and then re-flushed the whole system again when racing season started up again this year.

we kept the heater as well for the same reason. Haven't needed it yet...

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

We too have the heater.  The water valve is wired open and the fan has only high speed.  A simple toggle switch is all we have rather than the OE cables and levers.  If the windshield gets foggy on a rainy night, it will be worth the extra 5 lbs.  It also doubles as a second radiator if the car starts running hot.  Driver discomfort = cool engine.  Luckily, we haven't needed it for either purpose yet.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

With a race in Chicago in October we decided to keep the heater core and we can control speed and temp but it only blows out the defrosters and heater.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I store a V-8 Triumph in a place that sees -30C nighttime temps in winter....I just remove the lower rad hose and crank the engine for a few seconds

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

I store a V-8 Triumph in a place that sees -30C nighttime temps in winter....I just remove the lower rad hose and crank the engine for a few seconds

I see what you did there.

Big difference between crank and start smile

'67 TR4A here tongue

Amateur Welder, Professional Grinder

No seriously, what could go wrong?

It might start at -30 but I've never tried...too much snow to shovel, gotta install a battery, winter gas, etc. What's it like driving a sports car in January?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

13 (edited by OMGuar 2010-09-26 05:45 AM)

Like racing only at a slower speed.. Excellant race training..
   Ever wonder why those Fins tend to do so well in Formula 1?  That training they get at the edge of traction teaches well the lessons it takes to run right at the ragged edge of Formula 1 Qualifing.   You race down some snow and ice covered road at insane speeds and your level of skill goes up dramatically or you wind up off the the road and stuck..  The fact that in all likelyhood little damage is done since snow is an excellant gravel trap.  However the time you spend getting out of the ditch/woods/whatever provides you with plenty of time to review what you did and how you can do it better..
   Besides the really beautiful ballet of an Ice race has to be seen to be believed..
  Insanely long, lorrid, slides that if done properly puts you right at the very edge of the track with the snow bank providing that tiny berm to get that fraction of a second over your competitors..  Get it wrong and you wind up IN the snow bank waiting for the rescue Jeep to pull you out so you can continue on your way. (likely a lap down)..
But don't worry! This is an enduro and chances are better than likely he'll make a mistake too..
  You can start the season with a pristene car but by the end of the season you'll have few undamaged panels.  If you hit another car because of poor traction you will likely bounce off each other with only a small dent or 2 to show the impact.
OOPs! I just noticed where you are from..
Sorry!

Maybe I should have said Canadians?