1 (edited by Kyle 2010-09-08 12:50 PM)

Topic: Miami FL Event - Name Change

Local whiners complain incessantly: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/race- … e=rss_news

Boy, I'm embarrassed to have this track in my backyard. What a bunch of weasels. In the spirit of turning "Lemons" into lemonade - I'd like to humbly offer the following for consideration of the new name for the Miami event.

"Boca Del Vista - Phase II, Tour de Pends"
"Tar Balls-to-the-Wall 2010"
"Kennedy Compound Park-n-Swim"
"No Habla - No Problemo GP"
"24 Hours of Swamp Ass"

On edit:
"Nolo Contendere d'Mons"

Kyle
Team ExperiMENTALS

2010 23.4 Horas de Cuba del Norte

Re: Miami FL Event - Name Change

"Gusanos( Cuban governments name for Cuban exiles, means worm in spanish) Podridos(rotten in spanish) GP"

Ouch. That would calm things down, but I like it.

Maybe another Arse-??? theme.

It's too bad we (the general public) has to always give into the whiny brats.  I understand where the race organizers are coming from on this, it's just too bad.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

5 (edited by eljefe17 2010-09-08 09:33 AM)

now i'm definitely going to be wearing a che shirt all week down there.  screw them

'the 24 hours of death to free speech'

It really does make sense,  unfortunately.  Jay and the boys only have to pander to us, and we don't take much pandering.  We "get it".

The track owners have to appeal to their local audience, which is 62% hispanic*, on a day-to-day basis. 

It's kind of ironic, really.  I've seen the judges "take offense" to a car's theme when it was too slanted against a particular religion or race and force the offending team to re-theme the car on the spot.  This sort of feels like the same thing.  They crossed somebody else's line, that's all.

* http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12/12086.html

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I understand your point Loren, but realistically, none of these "complainers" have any intention of driving 20 miles into the swamp to spectate at this event. This area is surrounded by PGA golf courses and gated Uber-Communities.

If you really want to be offended about anything - wait 'til you see the track facilities. LOL. Don't get me wrong - the driving surface is a great improvement to the old facility. However - be prepared to pee in a bucket and parachute-drop any concessions or niceties you may require for these 3 days. But, they do have 4 or 5 power outlets in the paddock area.

And the mosquitoes - don't bring any pets or small children after dark that you have any fondness for.

Kyle
Team ExperiMENTALS

8 (edited by gsmith2424 2010-09-08 09:58 AM)

Kyle wrote:

I understand your point Loren, but realistically, none of these "complainers" have any intention of driving 20 miles into the swamp to spectate at this event. This area is surrounded by PGA golf courses and gated Uber-Communities.

If you really want to be offended about anything - wait 'til you see the track facilities. LOL. Don't get me wrong - the driving surface is a great improvement to the old facility. However - be prepared to pee in a bucket and parachute-drop any concessions or niceties you may require for these 3 days. But, they do have 4 or 5 power outlets in the paddock area.

And the mosquitoes - don't bring any pets or small children after dark that you have any fondness for.

Also don't forget about the aligators out back of the kart shop, which is very close to pit lane.

Kyle wrote:

Wow, really?  The website makes it look sooo nice.  Almost like VIR nice, but w/o the rolling hills country-club feel.  Are the ammenities that crappy?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VIR?  Haa haaa haa haa haa... No

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

VKZ24 wrote:

Are the ammenities that crappy?

They haven't built any of the amenities yet. At least not as of last weekend.

Kyle
Team ExperiMENTALS

VKZ24 wrote:
Kyle wrote:

Wow, really?  The website makes it look sooo nice.  Almost like VIR nice, but w/o the rolling hills country-club feel.  Are the ammenities that crappy?

Its not bad but could be better. Not many bathrooms and the ones that are there are on the complete other side from the paddock near the pits. So unless they do decide to bring in porta cans be preparred for a walk to the bathrooms. Power is also very limited so a generator is just about a must. Also another thing is that the paddock will more than likely be a big haul to go to the pits if the paddock is set up on the drag racing side(just about the only option).

13 (edited by VKZ24 2010-09-08 10:28 AM)

gsmith2424 wrote:

Its not bad but could be better. Not many bathrooms and the ones that are there are on the complete other side from the paddock near the pits. So unless they do decide to bring in porta cans be preparred for a walk to the bathrooms. Power is also very limited so a generator is just about a must. Also another thing is that the paddock will more than likely be a big haul to go to the pits if the paddock is set up on the drag racing side(just about the only option).

Good information, thanks.  Assuming our car survives CMP in a few weeks, our team plans to go.  Are you EK guys going?  Maybe us NC-based teams can caravan down together or something?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Kyle wrote:

I don't think that's what they're worried about.  What they don't want is protestors in front of their facility on race day, or potential political backlash in the future.  As we've seen with tracks closing and other tracks getting shut down before they even open, keeping a track open is a political nightmare... pissing off the locals is NOT a good idea.

What happens when those Uber-golf-communities decide that they don't want to hear race cars during their weekend golf games?  And those are just the kinds of people who have enough political clout to make life difficult for a track owner.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

24 Hours of Capitalist Oppression.
The Cuban Logo Crisis. (Same logo, just swap Che for Khrushchev)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

If there is one thing that Florida is known for, it is their overwhelming sensitivity to other cultures. 
<a href>http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/07/florida.quran.burning/index.html?iref=allsearch</a href>

I see their reasoning, but man, did I ever want one of those patches!  Also, should we expect to see massive crowds of spectators due to such acceptable promotion?  I'm sure that now an image of Guavara isn't involved, the masses will feel at ease and will flock to the raceway.  I'm looking forward to the throngs of race fans!

How about:
Cuban Missive Crisis - 'cause they were writing letters of protest and... forget it.
The No-Go Logo Enduro
The Inoffensive 500
The PC GP
24 Hours of Lemons - No Che, No How

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Cuban Misfit Crisis

Fig Newton Racing, prepare for the Day of Figs Invasion

hey Ricki........ chessssssss Lucy?  fu*** Youhh Rehki!!!!!!!!!!

so a generator and big fans then?  thanks for the tip Loren.  any showers?  garages?

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

the thongs of race f... oh. never mind, carry on.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

Too bad this article didn't come out a week earlier. Jay could've referenced it and they'd have had nothing to whine about.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100908/ap_ … del_castro

In my opinion they're just pissed off because the CIA donated Cuba to the Mafia in exchange for Lucky Luciano's help with the invasion of Sicily in WWII. Then Batista overlooked too many murders and Castro and Che took over. Having read Machiavelli's Prince I understand why Che was such a brutal d!ck - not that I approve. He got his in Bolivia. Get over it. Makes me want to put something borderline politically edgy on my car now. How about Sarah Palin with her legs wide open inserting a huge tool? We can talk to our kids about tastelessness beforehand, right?

[/rabid brain droppings]

20 (edited by gsmith2424 2010-09-09 02:21 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:
gsmith2424 wrote:

Good information, thanks.  Assuming our car survives CMP in a few weeks, our team plans to go.  Are you EK guys going?  Maybe us NC-based teams can caravan down together or something?

No race this time at CMP as the main drivers on the team have to work up at LIme Rock for a karting event. I'm not based with the karting business but will be around during the weekend.

Added: Not sure about the 24 hr race as our car is based up in Connecticut. I've worked 3 24 hr kart races there at Moroso/PBIR. and it can get really humid during the night there. We didn't have the 24 hr race this year in January but was down there fo a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale and we just about frozze. We were in snow from Daytona to just South the Cape (happened during Rolex 24 HR testing).

wrappedinbacon wrote:

If there is one thing that Florida is known for, it is their overwhelming sensitivity to other cultures.

The difference between north Florida (where Gainesville is located, and which is basically just an extension of the "old South") and south Florida (the track is located, and which is populated by Puerto Ricans who've come into the country by way of a prolonged stay in New York City, Cuban exiles, and 75-year old Jewish doctors) is very well illustrated by this nonsense.

Recall the 2000 presidential election and think back to all the media coverage of people in Palm Beach county. Remember how obnoxious all those people were? Those are the assholes who are responsible for this. 

I say this as one of the few remaining Florida natives left in the state, who wishes another hurricane would come through and displace everyone in godforsaken shithole that is Florida south of state road 60 (except the old crackers who still live down by Okeechobee and farm cane on small multigenerational family farms.)

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

New name is sorta up. Now add on is: Censored by order of Glenn Beck.

EyeMWing wrote:

The Cuban Logo Crisis.

^^ This is genius.

I was so looking forward to getting a Che patch to add to my Capitol Offense patch as well... shouldn't these complainers focus on something more important instead of a silly little Lemons race... Ugh.

ronman wrote:
wrappedinbacon wrote:

The difference between north Florida (where Gainesville is located, and which is basically just an extension of the "old South") and south Florida (the track is located, and which is populated by Puerto Ricans who've come into the country by way of a prolonged stay in New York City, Cuban exiles, and 75-year old Jewish doctors) is very well illustrated by this nonsense.

Recall the 2000 presidential election and think back to all the media coverage of people in Palm Beach county. Remember how obnoxious all those people were? Those are the assholes who are responsible for this. 

I say this as one of the few remaining Florida natives left in the state, who wishes another hurricane would come through and displace everyone in godforsaken shithole that is Florida south of state road 60 (except the old crackers who still live down by Okeechobee and farm cane on small multigenerational family farms.)

Jeez RM, half of Toronto winters down there. We're generally pretty quiet about this kind of thing. Hell, if you'd just switch to the Metric system and bring in a national health system, FLA would be the most perfect place on Earth...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....