1 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-08 07:33 AM)

Topic: College student unpreparedness

Hello there

I'm a student and a few of us are putting together a car for the Sept 26/27 race at CMP. We're already registered (I think) but we haven't picked who's going to be driving yet (we're college students)... What's the policy on switching out drivers at the last minute?

Re: College student unpreparedness

About a week out from the race they close registration.  You gotta have your team set by then.  You should be getting an email letting you know when that will happen.  If its a last second thing, like the friday of race weekend, I think there's an inconvenience fee they charge you for changing that late.

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

Hello there

I'm a student and a few of us are putting together a car for the Sept 26/27 race at CMP. We're already registered (I think) but we haven't picked who's going to be driving yet (we're college students)... What's the policy on switching out drivers at the last minute?

If you think your registered then your not.... You should have received an acceptance letter from Jay a month ago with the usual "pay up  now"! If 'not' beg forgiveness from Jay and plead your case and he might let you in. If your "in" and just having a "Brain Fart" Moemann is correct. They will do a last call a week before the race so that they can prepare all of the entry information so that the registration goes as smooth as possible at the track. Good Luck Either way....

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

I wasn't positive because I'm not the one handling registration tongue But we met tonight and we're all signed up with 6 drivers. moemann answered my question - gotta have the roster finalized a week prior. I think we should be able to pull that off.

Worked on the car a bit tonight... This is gonna be fun smile

Worked on the car a bit tonight... This is gonna be fun

Unless your car runs and has a cage in it already you better not plan on sleeping much....
ask me how I know.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

st_rage wrote:

Worked on the car a bit tonight... This is gonna be fun

Unless your car runs and has a cage in it already you better not plan on sleeping much....
ask me how I know.

That's what I was gonna say. 3 weeks fly right by.......

7 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-09 10:50 AM)

Not sure how much the team wants me to give away (I'm not el captain) but the car runs great from the short blast I did in it last night and the cage gets here next week. The interior had been stripped for the most part by the time I joined the team; last night we just got rid of the console, dash, etc.
Hopefully we can make some money off this stuff before race day.. The tires that are on there are terrible.

Tires are budget-exempt, so TireRack will just give them to you for free. wink

They may be lemons-budget exempt... Not so sure about college-student-budget exempt tongue Anyone need S13 240SX interior parts?

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

They may be lemons-budget exempt... Not so sure about college-student-budget exempt

What car number do you guys have? I have to see this with my own eyes - I tried to organize a team several times throughout my college career and whenever it came time to actually get even a PENNY out of anybody, it became "This is all a stupid idea anyway"

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

They may be lemons-budget exempt... Not so sure about college-student-budget exempt tongue Anyone need S13 240SX interior parts?

I think you just gave too much away. This is a tough place to sell interior parts for old cars. We tend to all have them for sale. Go to ebay there are plenty of people looking there.

12 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-17 01:01 PM)

So I have a question about rules -

3.8.1: Brake Lights: At all times, each car must have at least one working brake light that is easily seen from the rear. The light should be located where a mild rear-end impact won't break or obscure it. Good spots include inside the rear-windshield area; on top of the parcel shelf; and on the deck at the base of the rear-windshield area.

But on the CMP Fall event page, it says
THE CARS
Lights: Headlights,taillights, and sidemarkers removed or fully taped
Rear side and back glass: Keep it or toss it, your choice
Noise Limit: 92dB @ 50 feet

So, do we need taillights or no?
And, souseless, I wouldn't actually expect to sell interior parts to a racing forum tongue

Yeah, you need them, just put clear packing tape over them.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

14 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-23 03:43 PM)

So more newbie logistics questions

About how much fuel should we expect to use? 2.4L dohc 4cyl (nissan k24de to be specific, in a ~2600lbs 240sx) And we only have a couple 5-gal gas cans this should be about enough to fill up the 240's tank, but I suppose we'll have to keep folks running to the station off track constantly.

How fast is CMP?

And we're running NAPA Dot3 fluid. How bad of an idea is this? No local sources for better stuff...

Finally, we keep blowing the fuse on our starter button. There's a 15A fuse in there, there's no way it should take 15A to click the starter relay. Would this indicate a short somewhere?

-Tyler

Oh, also, I'm anxious as all get-out.

15 (edited by YesIFit 2010-09-23 03:50 PM)

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

About how much fuel should we expect to use?

If your car actually runs all weekend, a lot.

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

And we're running NAPA Dot3 fluid. How bad of an idea is this?

Pretty bad...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

At Omaha, our 2.8L V6 Beretta drank roughly 6 gallons of fuel an hour.  We thought this was pretty good.

You have a (30A?) relay set up for your starter solenoid, and it's blowing a 15A fuse?  Uhh...you got me stumped there.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

No experience with electronics at all before two days ago; just spent an hour pouring over the FSM and came to the conclusion that, yes, we're trying to run what used to be a 30a circuit through a 15a fuse.

Starter + ignition used to be on 30a fuse
Now, starter is on 15a fuse and ignition is on separate 15a fuse.
Tomorrow, hopefully, starter + ignition fuse will be fixed and we can get them both back on that one. Bleh, electrical gremlins.

Good learning experience though.

Start solenoid can easily pull 30 amps on initial contact.  Not surprised it is blowing a 15A fuse.  I'd go to a 30 amp self resetting breaker, look to motorcycle parts shops or in the underhood space on newer cars for such a thing.

Go to amazon or summit, order ATE super Blue, it is only $15 per quart and it is far better than DOT and you can see the blue juice leaking.

Expect to get 9 mpg in any car.  if you do better, great.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

19 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-24 05:10 AM)

Thanks for the info heckler. We're racing tomorrow at CMP.. I'm going to see if there's better fluid between Clemson and Kershaw, but if not we'll be stuck with the napa stuff.

If anyone is out at CMP today, would you mind lending the team with the orange and black stripe 240sx a hand? We don't have a clue what we're doing, I'm the only one on my team who knows how the ignition works (/doesnt work) and I'm not going to be there until about 6 tonight.

Valvoline Synpower brake fluid is decent.  It's not Motul or ATE but it's readily available at Autozone and better than your typical house brand DOT 3.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

what about plain Jane Dot 4?

I wanna say Valvoline Synpower is DOT 4

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Do you have a Ford dealer near by? Motorcraft High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid. PM-1-C. Dry boiling 500 degrees. 12 oz. bottles $3.49 each.

We use Castrol DOT4 in our cars and except for one car, where we knew we'd have brake problems, we didn't have a single fluid releated problem.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Napa's dry point Dot 3 is 482... 500 isn't much better. what is typical Dot 4?