1 (edited by OMGuar 2010-09-09 06:09 AM)

Topic: Alternate fuels.

Can we use E85 gasolene in the race cars?
I live where E85 is grown and have several friends who work in the industry.. Since it's for non-hwy use I can buy it without the taxes which makes a nice savings, Plus I can denature it with whatever Gasolene stock I want..
Which opens up some real interesting options..

2 (edited by VKZ24 2010-09-09 06:31 AM)

Re: Alternate fuels.

OMGuar wrote:

Can we use E85 gasolene in the race cars?
I live where E85 is grown and have several friends who work in the industry.. Since it's for non-hwy use I can buy it without the taxes which makes a nice savings, Plus I can denature it with whatever Gasolene stock I want..
Which opens up some real interesting options..

There are no restrictions on types of fuel AFAIK.  I know the smell of race gas and a few cars were running it at CMP last time.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

$1.00 a gallon for 114 octane fuel.. hmmm sounds like a deal to me..  Sure I will have to change injectors to use it but that's not a biggie,  Lucas makes injectors from 24 pounds per hour all the way up to 120 pounds per hour without having to go high dollar custom route.
I think I'd need about 40 pounds per hour so I'll look up which cars use that size and do a swap.. (It's nice to have friends who own junk yards)

OMGuar wrote:

$1.00 a gallon for 114 octane fuel.. hmmm sounds like a deal to me..  Sure I will have to change injectors to use it but that's not a biggie,  Lucas makes injectors from 24 pounds per hour all the way up to 120 pounds per hour without having to go high dollar custom route.
I think I'd need about 40 pounds per hour so I'll look up which cars use that size and do a swap.. (It's nice to have friends who own junk yards)

dont forget a bigger pump and lines.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Team Stimulus Package, the HondAcura with the Giant corn cob on the roof ran E85 for the August Thunderhill race. Now we didn't run very many laps, but we did have plenty of E85 and boiled corn.

The biggest problem is having enough fuel at the track. How are you going to store the 150-300 gallons of fuel you race car will burn through??

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

We ran e85 at Thunderhill last month, inspiring our theme:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_63yByAurRNE/TGDhJzkYmrI/AAAAAAAAC6c/QajbX40nySY/s400/CIMG7108.JPG

Unfortunately, for other reasons, our car looked like this for 95% of the race:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_63yByAurRNE/TGDhY3n6v9I/AAAAAAAAC7M/ovHO9OEmUw0/s288/CIMG7164.JPG

mackwagon wrote:

Team Stimulus Package, the HondAcura with the Giant corn cob on the roof ran E85 for the August Thunderhill race. Now we didn't run very many laps, but we did have plenty of E85 and boiled corn.

The biggest problem is having enough fuel at the track. How are you going to store the 150-300 gallons of fuel you race car will burn through??

I suspect it would be closer to 700 gallons..  I'm assuming something like 3 MPG with gas and only 1.5 with ethanol.   say on a 14 hour weekend  that works out to be 700 gallons.  (Is my math correct?)  I know when I race my "D" Jag on methanol I use the full 55 gallon gas tank that car has.. on a vintage weekend.. I drip a little Castrol R into it so I can tell the guys with the sensitive noses that it's "cause I run Castrol R"    (The castor Bean oil used back in the 30's-40's-50's)