1 (edited by OMGuar 2010-09-09 12:48 PM)

Topic: Do you guys know How to use junk yards? (oops recycling yards)

I'm sorry if I offend but talking to guys I know who run junk yards it seems like most people today don't really know how to deal wiith junk yards..
   First for our racing it should be  the main place to shop!
  Knowing about pricing might help.   Go to the web site       www.car-parts.com       It's a Hollander manual* every person in the country can access without bothering anybody!    check out prices..  there will be guys selling a part at a variety of prices. The top prices will usually have some sort of warrantee or claim of rebuild..  the lower prices may or may not be lessor quality / higher mileage parts. They may simply be less accessable yards..
    So don't go into a yard and ask for a impossible price.. You're just wasting time..
Next  dealing with the people there
  You won't be his best customer!  Don't expect to be treated like you are..
Chances are his best customer is a repair shop or body shop etc.. Business is straight forward between them.  No hassles and quick! Plus they know each other and sometimes have a chance to chat.

You'd be amazed at the number of people who are either stupid, dishonest or rude to guys who are just trying to make a living.
Eventually that wears untill they pick up the phone in a bad attitude.

So somehow you need to become their friend..
Once they know you and feel comfortable with you, Know that you aren't simply going to waste their time and try to screw them. They like to be friendly. 
  If it's not a U-pull-it yard and they aren't insured accordingly  don't ask to wander around..  (but there is still the possiblitity of them letting you wander around.) they have to trust you that you won't do something stupid, or try to rip them off etc.. Don't go asking favors when they are busy.  If the phones are ringing and people are crowding the counter, simply state your business and be polite.    You need to be there when they aren't rushed and maybe a little bored.. just ask when those times are.. explain that you'd love to see what options they have for wheels or whatever.. 
  Your best technique is to ask to look at something that's not easy for them to pick up and set on the counter>  Can I see those wheels/tires, body panels etc?  Or ask open ended questions.. what do you have in 15 inch aluminum wheels? 
   Share information with them.. I race $500 cars in 24 hour events etc.. here's what's important to me and why..
Take maybe the scratched ones or offer to give them your, radio, power windows, interior parts etc. stuff you'd simply throw in the trash anyway..
At some point they might tell you, hey we're getting that turbo'd whammy jammy in on thursday Paint our name on it and you can race it.. Or we got a nearly new set of those tires you've been using. Invite them to the event..
Many of these guys are doing what they do because they are fellow gear heads.   Treat them decently and fair and who knows what good can happen..

*Hollander Manual  the junk yard Bible,  tells what interchanges and going prices etc..

Re: Do you guys know How to use junk yards? (oops recycling yards)

OMGuar wrote:

I'm sorry if I offend but talking to guys I know who run junk yards it seems like most people today don't really know how to deal wiith junk yards..
   First for our racing it should be  the main place to shop!
  Knowing about pricing might help.   Go to the web site       www.car-parts.com       It's a Hollander manual* every person in the country can access without bothering anybody!    check out prices..  there will be guys selling a part at a variety of prices. The top prices will usually have some sort of warrantee or claim of rebuild..  the lower prices may or may not be lessor quality / higher mileage parts. They may simply be less accessable yards..
    So don't go into a yard and ask for a impossible price.. You're just wasting time..
Next  dealing with the people there
  You won't be his best customer!  Don't expect to be treated like you are..
Chances are his best customer is a repair shop or body shop etc.. Business is straight forward between them.  No hassles and quick! Plus they know each other and sometimes have a chance to chat.

You'd be amazed at the number of people who are either stupid, dishonest or rude to guys who are just trying to make a living.
Eventually that wears untill they pick up the phone in a bad attitude.

So somehow you need to become their friend..
Once they know you and feel comfortable with you, Know that you aren't simply going to waste their time and try to screw them. They like to be friendly. 
  If it's not a U-pull-it yard and they aren't insured accordingly  don't ask to wander around..  (but there is still the possiblitity of them letting you wander around.) they have to trust you that you won't do something stupid, or try to rip them off etc.. Don't go asking favors when they are busy.  If the phones are ringing and people are crowding the counter, simply state your business and be polite.    You need to be there when they aren't rushed and maybe a little bored.. just ask when those times are.. explain that you'd love to see what options they have for wheels or whatever.. 
  Your best technique is to ask to look at something that's not easy for them to pick up and set on the counter>  Can I see those wheels/tires, body panels etc?  Or ask open ended questions.. what do you have in 15 inch aluminum wheels? 
   Share information with them.. I race $500 cars in 24 hour events etc.. here's what's important to me and why..
Take maybe the scratched ones or offer to give them your, radio, power windows, interior parts etc. stuff you'd simply throw in the trash anyway..
At some point they might tell you, hey we're getting that turbo'd whammy jammy in on thursday Paint our name on it and you can race it.. Or we got a nearly new set of those tires you've been using. Invite them to the event..
Many of these guys are doing what they do because they are fellow gear heads.   Treat them decently and fair and who knows what good can happen..

*Hollander Manual  the junk yard Bible,  tells what interchanges and going prices etc..

Good info. You must be in the biz, where at?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

3 (edited by OMGuar 2010-09-09 04:36 PM)

NO just have several friends in the business and know more than a few others through those friends. I'm in Minnesota near the twin cities (Mpls/St Paul)

My Rant about junkyards.

Of all the businesses dedicated to the automotive sector, I've never been treated with the disrespect that I receive visiting a random junkyard. I've visited at least 30 yards in the Chicagoland area, and when dealing with 80% of them, I walk in prepared for anything. I understand everything in your post, and I always walk in friendly and understanding. Yet, most of these places really don't know how to deal with customers. When I tell them I'm making something custom and want to look around cause I'm not sure what I need, they act like I want to steal their lawn furniture.

Just go to Pick N Pull. It's the McDonald's of junkyards, and I'm trying to think of a reason you would not want to go there.

Now there is one local yard I visit when I'm desperate and need something rare or hard to find. This place is so horrible, it is literally straight out of the movie Nothing But Trouble. I call it "Planet Cat Piss". Nobody ever goes there, so I usually find what I'm looking for. The downside is they always want the part brought in front of them before they even think of a price. You can imagine how well  that works.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Pick-N-pull is about the only place I go to anymore. The rest of them almost always treat you like shit no matter what. Pick-N-Pull may not have a great selection, but you almost always can find something you "need". I used to go to Awesome Auto Salvage because they are a huge yard in DFW, but those guy seem really, really shady and the prices are based on who knows what. Everytime I go in there I feel like I just walked in on a coke or meth deal between 15 guys who act like I'm bothering them with my business.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

I second Crab Spirits.  The yards around Chicago are full of a bunch of fuckers.  They will also try to rip you a new asshole on almost worthless parts.  I now almost exclusively use Craigslist and EBAY, and get better parts for less money.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

+2 Crab Spirits.  As much as I love a good JY, the majority are terrible places to visit.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Trevor57 wrote:

I second Crab Spirits.  The yards around Chicago are full of a bunch of fuckers.  They will also try to rip you a new asshole on almost worthless parts.  I now almost exclusively use Craigslist and EBAY, and get better parts for less money.

I am in the Chicago area as well and I agree. I don't expect much at JY, it's not like they are run/staffed by the best mannered, shall we say people.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

Prices?   Go to  www.car-parts.com  before you go anyplace, Junkyards, e-bay, swap meets etc..
  Without that bit of knowledge how in the heck do you know if you're being treated fair..

Second..
   Having your hands on the parts tells a sharp Junkee how badly you want it..
They are a lot smarter than you give them credit for..  It's called body language and it says more than what comes out of your mouth about how bad you really want something..

The fact that you have such lack of respect for them is reflected back in the way they treat you..

OK you could be right.. to say all Junkees are nice is stupid..  Some are lousy drunks, addicts, and have other problems. However anytime you start saying all you have a problem..

OK
   Let me help both of you. 
If you're there in the evening, weekend that's their high frustration time.  Not everybody knows what they want or how to ask for it.. Evenings and weekends is when they come out..
So you start off with a disadvantage.   Are you honest?? How does the Junkee know that? 
Do you know what you're talking about? again how would a stranger know that? 
Are you well informed? Again how many times do you think the junkee has dealt with those who wouldn't know their butt from deep second base?

Now Think of how much knowledge the average junkee has in his head.. Compare that knowledge  to the erronious stuff a lot of people who come to him with. 
  He knows how to remove parts with out damaging them, how stuff works, what demands are for a given product..  Interchange, and what fits what..
    He may be a really serious gear head.. Loves cars but hates to be challenged.. He may know for example that most of the cars come in with that part shot, worn out, or broken.. That's why he's being porkish about it and maybe you might find someone who doesn't know the market that well sells it too cheap..   Or maybe he knows that it's common for that part to fail in a new setting.. (it happens) So while it may work on the way out, in it's new home it might fail!
  I will tell you that most of the guys I've dealt with are decent helpful guys.. However I've heard the crap they get.. somebody angery because their car broke they don't have the money it's gonna take to fix it. and they take it out on the junkee. 
Once you prove to them what you are worth watch how their whole attitude changes..

Just like you, they have bad days.. stuff goes wrong and sometimes you take it out on the wrong person..
   Shif happens..
   Nobody is perfect!

JD1969 wrote:
Trevor57 wrote:

I am in the Chicago area as well and I agree. I don't expect much at JY, it's not like they are run/staffed by the best mannered, shall we say people.

I really understand your frustration  please read the post right above..
I wanted in the worst way to visit a nearby junkyard that had a lot of cars from the 40's 50's early 60's
Mean junkyard dogs, nasty, mean,  people telling me threatening stuff..
All of it amounted to get out of here and don't ever come back/
I'm a nice guy!
A really serious gear head..
   Eventually with enough persistance and polite response to the nastyness I got to visit the place..
  It was so much more than I'd hoped for..  So many great cars and only a few were missing parts..
  This guy didn't run a junk yard. he was a collector.. nothing was for sale..
The cars that were missing parts was from people who snuck in and stole from him.. 
  My point is that it's part of the life of a junkard that people will steal from him.. people will sneak in, get hurt and sue him..  He will sell good parts and get back the old part saying it wasn't good when installed..  they want their money back!  He might even insist that the labor charge to install the part be refunded..
  Yes sometimes mistakes are made.  Not always is the right thing done either by the junkee or by the customer..

My gripe with our local ones is that they don't know what the (*$* they have most of the time, wasting a great deal of my time visiting them and wandering around (paying entry fee for the privlidge) and then finding they want more than I  think is reasonable for a worn part w/o warranty.  I bought a windsheild wiper motor there and first one did not work, then I went back in the mud pull another.  It did not work as expected (leaves wipers up in rest position) but they would not refund money.  For like $10 more I could have gotten a warrantied one to fit at Advance auto.

I found a near worthless console tray for these rapidly dying out of favor vans, dirty but intact, and the guy wanted like $15 for it.  screw that, left it on the counter.  For my effort and money its not very appealing, although it is fun looking for the most part.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

and then finding they want more than I  think is reasonable for a worn part w/o warranty

That's why if I go the junkyard route I only go to Pull-A-Part. A 2000 Honda Accord window regulator is only $40 from the dealer. The Honda junkyard quoted me $100.

@OMGuar, hey, you're up in the Cities?  I'm down in Rochester, and I have to say, the junkyards down here I've visited are excellent.  Oronoco, Dillon's, and McNeilus have great selection, the parts don't suck, they are friendly, and they deal on price.

This is basic bartering technique, I suppose, but I've had good luck with it--if they throw you a price, and you hem and haw about it a bit, more often than not they'll bump their price down to make the sale.  Usually they are already prepared to offer a discount; they were just waiting for you to prove that you know something first.  Your odds double if you point out a legitimate defect.  For example, one yard was asking $60 for a windshield, I pointed out a small rock chip (dime size), got it for $40.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Yeh, I think the best advice for anybody using a junk yard is first go to www.car-part.com  and find out what the part normally sells for. I mean you name the part and it lists who's got one and how much they want for it!!
  Want a left handed framus bearing for a 1947 wartbug?  look it up!
You are correct though ,mention that the framous bearing they have is completely out of exhaust fluid and the price comes down..
    I've watched guys at the yard have more fun selling the part when the customer knows how to play the game..
  Do it in good humor make them laugh and they might beat YOU to the bottom..
  One buddy sold a Saab Motor that way..   Guy came in and wanted the motor.. he had pulled it out running and knew it was a good one so he offered it at a decent price. The customer said that was too cheap!   smiling so The price was lowered..  (yeh, lowered!)  and told him Take it or leave it!  Growling (with a silly grin on his face)  Customer was smart enough to catch on so he offered even more..
and the race was on!!  Eventually he took it for $100.00 (loaded into the trunk of his car natuarly!)
Yes guys in Junk yards like to have a good time and not always are they out to screw you..
   NO, not everybody is a nice guy, it might surprise you that not all racers are nice guys either.   That's why the rules for Lemons is written the way they are..