Topic: We survived the heat, driving and even the mosquitos

Thank you to all the volunteers, staff, corner workers, judges and yes, even Jay for putting on once again a great event.

Thank you all!

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Re: We survived the heat, driving and even the mosquitos

Oy, and the mosquitoes were terrible!  Many thanks to Mostly Harmless, all of the SHO teams, our neighbors the Dallas folks (both sides!), Christine, Scott, Laura G (and her awesome wrestler-husband), Phil, the JEWS (it's not a verb, damn it!), my co-drivers and MSR staff for making the weekend fun.  Without any of the above the whole weekend would have been a hot (VERY HOT) mess. 

And if anyone needs a washer, let me know.  wink

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

This weekend was so fun, and considering the last time I think we had like 3 or more rollovers and rain-induced carnage, this was very clean!  Just *@(%$#$ HOT.  Saturday we about incinerated our drivers by not having enough air flow, but we addressed that Saturday night and it was much better Sunday.

I think the mosquitoes depended on where you were, we had a few but not horrible. 

I hope the corner workers and safety guys had a good supply of cold drinks, what a weekend for an endurance race!  Congrats to all teams who toughed it out.

Big shout out to IOE winners in the VW Type 3, hey Monica see they really didn't HATE your little white VW after all!  It was fun meeting you after the battleship game.  Scott

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

The winning car and driver....seriously.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3pzyr.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/20606yf.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2z89njs.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2nsqgz4.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2poe6w7.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/jayrgo.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/9k403o.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/1043vb7.jpg

Justice...with a smile.

5 (edited by H.K. Phooey 2010-09-13 06:42 AM)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2d1quwx.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/25z3tyw.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/28c0av6.jpg

It's this big...really?
http://i54.tinypic.com/edmhx.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/260fxuu.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/nl1mc2.jpg

Justice...with a smile.

I'll just reiterate the thank yous and kudos to all the corner workers, track porters, saftey crews, track management, and Lemons staff.  And everyone else who pitches in to make this a great event.   And especially Bill and Tommy of the BOC and Bastardos who toiled long and hard to bring the cars to the track, and allowed me to share in the fun.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Thanks to MSR & all those that worked the event.

Pandas dwell in the cool highlands!  G^(*&damn it was hot but still fun as usual.

Pistols for Pandas:  1988 beat to hell RX-7
Big Wheels Racing: 1985 beat to hell RX-7

8 (edited by YesIFit 2010-09-13 07:16 AM)

As always, we had a blast! Thanks to Jay, Phil, Scott, etc., for putting on a great show/race, and all the people at MSR (especially the corner workers ... they might have been the best yet) for a fantastic, albeit hot and muggy, weekend.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I guess this is the semi-officialy thank you thread now, so I'll throw mine in now.

A huge thanks to all the organizers for putting on such a great event. This was our first race, and we all had a blast despite our engine dying after 6 hours on the first day and thus our weekend ending early. We hope to find another engine to put in our Audi, but upon first glance it seems like a cheap 20V is going to be hard to find...

I'd also like to thank the other Audi team for their help throughout the weekend, especially when attempting to diagnose our engine problem. Hopefully we'll keep our car together next race and we can have 3 Audi 90s in the top 20 to show all those E30s they aren't the only German ringer lemon big_smile

Also if anyone has any pictures/video of us, I'd really appreciate them. Ours was the white Audi with yellow/orange/red stripes (based on the old Ivan Stewart baja Toyota of the 80s). You can e-mail them to me at: halsteadfrost@gmail.com

Hal
Frost Racing

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5565/lemon01.jpg

10 (edited by ninjacoco 2010-09-13 05:55 PM)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you^42 all for putting up with me all weekend! I was the girl with the huge camera (though not as huge as the TV station's EX-1) hanging around the Unintended Acceleration team all weekend getting footage for a short film about the event. It's my big last film project EVER as an undergrad at Baylor, and I don't think I could have picked a more fun subject to do it on. The organizers, track staff, participants, and everyone I met couldn't have been nicer, and I had an absolute blast hanging out at Lemons all weekend.

I couldn't have asked for more fun pit-neighbors than Team Sensory Assault and their hot tub army truck. It was awesome to finally meet the Frost Racing guys, too, who were cool enough to bring the other 90. smile Hope to see y'all at another race!

If anyone thinks I caught them on camera and wants footage, let me know and I'll be happy to share. I've got to go through it all now, so maybe I can recover from the sunburn while I'm locked up in the editing room, haha. On the flip side, if anyone caught any epic footage of on-track/in-car action, I'd love to have it and try to work it into the film. The whole thing is due in December, but I'll probably upload a few clips of punishments and such this week.

Thanks again for a wonderful weekend!

This was our first event and it was a doozey! Thanks to everyone for making this fun even when you only complete 14 laps!

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2d1quwx.jpg

Great shot of the Purple Drank penalty. We would have used that penalty every 10 minutes, but the heat made it impossible for teams to do the staggering Drank Dance for more than a few seconds at a time.

Great event. It was hot, but the Dallas Hooptie was hotter.

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...

T-Money645 wrote:

This was our first event and it was a doozey! Thanks to everyone for making this fun even when you only complete 14 laps!

It was my first event, and I have to say:  Hats off to you guys.  It was truly epic to see you guys a few spots down from us in the paddock putting a new engine in on saturday night.  You may have only gotten 14 laps in at this event, but you guys understand the spirit of the race better than anybody else that I saw all weekend.  I hope to see you guys in february!

-rick

When life hands you Lemons...
WELD A ROLL CAGE IN THAT PIECE OF SH!T AND RACE IT!

My buddy Dave and I comprise Scuderia Ignorante, but as of yet our car is unfinished (or technically, unstarted), and so we beg, borrow or buy rides in the show.  Last race in Dallas we were signed up with Blue Oval Cult and we helped build a SHO-powered Mustang that made all of 3 laps before going BANG!  Dave and I finished that race with the Dirty Some Beaches in a Hawaiian-themed Honda.

For Houston we had higher hopes.  The ShoStang had a new motor, a new paint job, and several hundred more hours into the build.  Even better, garage buddies/teammates Los Bastardos de la Lemons were bringing out the much anticipated Renault Dauphine.  The 1957 model French car is dropped over a custom built tube frame and powered by a Mercury Sable V6 front-wheel-drive setup, now mounted behind the driver and powering the rear wheels.  Radical is precisely the way to describe this car.

The teams had trouble getting to the track (sunk trailers, bad bearings, etc. etc.) but did make it out on Friday.  Dave made it in about midnight from San Angelo.  I had server troubles at work and then crashed, and so ended up leaving at 2 AM and never did make it to the hotel that night.  I rolled into the paddock about 8:30 AM after dropping Ash with her friend in The Woodlands north of Houston.

Neither car had made it through tech yet, so I helped Bill work on the Renault while the ShoStang was getting a brake job.  Wiring, foam, brake lights, tow hooks, etc.  As it happened, both cars made it to tech about the same time, and about an hour or so after the race start.  The Mustang got a clean bill of health, the Renault did too after some minor remedial work.  The tech inspectors required the Renault be set on jack stands front and rear for a thorough look.  After some confused mumbling, they let it go on the track.

Tom took the Mustang out first, and Bill took the Renault.  The Renault came back in first, with smoke billowing off of it.  There wasn’t anything wrong, though, just a year’s worth of shop dust and build gunk working its way off the car.  It was just that Bill was done after working heroic hours to get the car there at all.  Driver swap time, and it went back out.

Tom showed up at the penalty box after spinning the ShoStang.  The judges decided that a proper penalty would be to repeat his spinning antics in front of the entire crowd, so we went in front of the grandstand and Tom gracefully spun in place to a boombox until the crowd gave him a thumbs up.

So my turn in the car.  Unfortunately, Tom is something like 7’3”, and built the car to fit him nicely.  I had some trouble reaching the start/kill switch and had to shove foam under and behind me to reach the switches.  That worked well, but also ended up putting my head high enough to block the mirror.  Fun stuff driving the car with no rearward visibility.  I was –slow- due to not knowing the car or track, and couldn’t see the fast guys coming, but it was a good time.  The car handled wicked, and we found out why later.

I ran for about 45 minutes and had to come in.  It was really hot, and we didn’t have the time to put in a cool suit unit or any hydration equipment.

After my turn Dave went out, and he had some good laps too.  After about an hour the heat got to him too, and he spun the car.  We didn’t see any black flag, but he pulled in anyway.

When our next driver tried to go out, we were informed we had 3 black flags and were on a mandatory 3-hour hold (with 2 hours left in the day).  After some discussion at the judging table, it turned out we had picked up 2 black flags on the same lap that Tom spun on, and we just didn’t know it.  Add those to Dave’s and we’re done for the day.

That let us focus on the Renault, which had been on and off the track.  Several folks had driven it and all loved the car, but it was having teething issues.  Specifically, it was puking transmission fluid and melting plastics in the engine bay.  Bill and Randy and everyone else dove in and worked on it to make it better.  The heating problem was eventually traced to the exhaust not exiting the engine bay (fixed with a sawzall), and the transmission fluid problem was reduced with Lucas Oil miracle stuff and tightened clamps.  There was also a fuel delivery problem – as in, there was no fuel to deliver.  Oops.

Sunday was more of the same, thrashing on the Renault (now with periscope-powered driver cooling).  The Mustang had the custom-built clutch disk come apart in the first stint, but it was handling much better once Randy reminded us to check the air pressure in the tires.  48 in one rear and 26 in the opposite front makes for ‘interesting’ handling.  Chuck pulled competitive laps, and he feels the car will actually be a contender when the bugs are worked through.  It certainly sounds great and has good power and balance.

The team decided to park the Mustang until the closing laps and then have Tom get out there to finish the race.  It would shift by rev matching, it just had to be started in gear.  Mara and Randy and Bill and (Bill’s brother) got to drive the Renault on Sunday.

I had to leave before the end of the race to get back north.  Dave and Tanner headed west to San Angelo.  Judging from the time sheets, Tom did get the Mustang back out to finish the race.

In the battle between the teams, the Mustang won with 59 completed laps with a fast lap of 2:08.8, and the Dauphine made 54 with a fast lap of 2:06.1

Good times!  Thanks to Blue Oval Cult and Los Bastardos for letting me hang out.

16 (edited by Team BenzGay 2010-09-14 08:50 AM)

Think it was the red SHO, but someone lightly hit me from behind on Sunday morning, and I just wanted to say thank you ;-).

Team BenzGay

"You can’t make a pig into a race car, but you can make a very fast pig."

17 (edited by Troy 2010-09-14 08:56 AM)

We had a great event and like everyone else your like to extend our thanks to the staff and corner workers as well.

I think this was one of the cleanest races I've seen with very little significant contact.

The weather was deceptively hot.  I think the heat index may have been higher the ECR.

I couldn't make it through the whole day in full gear on Saturday like I did at ECR.

We had a great time and look forward to doing again.

Congrats to all the Winners too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I just want to thank whoever tapped our left rear and sliced some plastic off the bumper cover.  We'll take weight-savings any way we can get it.

Pucker Factor Racing #85 '91 Nissan Sentra SE-R (no, not a ex-SE-R Cup car)

We had a great time. Many thanks to Jay, Phil, Sam and eveyone else for a super event. Kudos to MSR Houston for keeping the track & facilities in such nice condition. See you in February!

Swine Flew Raycing
1995 Infiniti J30

Thanks to all from Super Dooper Troopers, car # 91, for a fantastic weekend.  This was our first Lemons event, and if I could have changed anything it would have been the heat.  Everything else was fantanstic.  The racing was clean (maybe a couple bad seeds out there on the track), all the support from Lemons and MSR workers was much appreciated, and the other teams were friendly, supportive and help.  We look forward to seeing you all at MSR early next year.

I'll echo doctawife's thanks, and add one final team I really appreciated getting a bit of help from-- Tetanus Neon stalled during the post-checker parade lap, and the final driver for the Not So Fresh Racing BMW 318i (972) was kind enough to use their car to push me back to the pits. Thanks a whole bunch for that, whoever you are!
Find me at a future event for a thank-you offering of a tasty beverage.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

cpchampion wrote:

I'll echo doctawife's thanks, and add one final team I really appreciated getting a bit of help from-- Tetanus Neon stalled during the post-checker parade lap, and the final driver for the Not So Fresh Racing BMW 318i (972) was kind enough to use their car to push me back to the pits. Thanks a whole bunch for that, whoever you are!
Find me at a future event for a thank-you offering of a tasty beverage.

That would be me! You are more than welcome, I know everyone was tired and just wanted to get back in.

Team BenzGay wrote:

Think it was the red SHO, but someone lightly hit me from behind on Sunday morning, and I just wanted to say thank you ;-).

Team BenzGay

I hope that wasn't us.We are the ones with no doors. Our first driver on Sunday didn't say anything about hitting anyone. If it was us, sorry.

There was some pretty clean racing out there. No flipped cars. I saw one car to car contact.

I hope the corner workers and staff enjoyed the 3 12-packs of Shiner. The paddock parking was much better than ever. Orlando and crew rationed the spaces very well.

Next year I bet the race will be in October like before. It's still boiling hot here.

Team BenzGay wrote:

Team BenzGay

Did you want it harder in the rear?

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

ray96disco wrote:

We had a great time. Many thanks to Jay, Phil, Sam and eveyone else for a super event. Kudos to MSR Houston for keeping the track & facilities in such nice condition. See you in February!

who is Sam?

Justice...with a smile.