Topic: Chevy smallblock ????

Traditionally Chevy small blocks haven't done very well at Lemons
Yet in almost all other motorsports, they dominate.

My question to all is WHY?

Re: Chevy smallblock ????

CSB have a fatal flaw.  They froth the oil in the pan.  In most other motorsports, you can take corrective actions with larger pans, windage trays, etc.  This lack of lubrication manifests itself as overheating and not spun bearings so it's hard to diagnosis.  As a side note, most CSB cooling systems are hopelessly undersized. 

So the cars will be driving along, making passes, having fun, then when a yellow flag comes out he cars temp starts to spike quickly.  Turning the engine off will only make this worse, so they overheat and warp the heads and blow headgaskets.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Because a lot of teams figure that if their car has 350+ HP, they'll have no trouble winning the race, they don't understand that in Lemons it's reliability that wins and not raw horsepower. Lemons has done a good job of weeding out which engines can really stand up to abuse and which ones can't.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

RobL wrote:

CSB have a fatal flaw.  They froth the oil in the pan.  In most other motorsports, you can take corrective actions with larger pans, windage trays, etc.  This lack of lubrication manifests itself as overheating and not spun bearings so it's hard to diagnosis.  As a side note, most CSB cooling systems are hopelessly undersized. 

So the cars will be driving along, making passes, having fun, then when a yellow flag comes out he cars temp starts to spike quickly.  Turning the engine off will only make this worse, so they overheat and warp the heads and blow headgaskets.

So are you saying that a windage tray and larger pan doesn't work to minimize oil frothing with a CSB, or just that the budgetary considerations of this particular series rule them out?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Undersized cooling system I'll agree... but the oil froth? I know plenty of low budget guys on the dirt tracks that go mulitiple seasons with a stock oil pan.

Most of the Lemons guys are complaining about major fails (broken cranks, Mains spun, rods snapped and pistons shattered.)

I personally have seen small blocks with 10psi of oil pressure last YEARS!!!

We were told our SBC had no chance of lasting in the race...especially with the auto tranny. Its a 305TBI w/ 700R4.  We ran MAM (Omaha in August) without a single problem. Running all out would cause the temp to slowly climb, then we would back out of it for about 3 laps and the temp would be right back to normal. We have an aftermarket (cheapo) gauge to watch coolant temp. Our trans temp never saw over 220F.

We are using the stock radiator. We are using a very large aftermarket trans cooler we pulled from a suburban at the junk yard. We are using a trans cooler from a explorer for an oil cooler, and a power steering cooler off of an F250. Needless to say, we went borderline overboard with junk yard cooler and it payed off.

The other thing helping us is that auto trany. It shifts at 4k rpm. When you are making less than 150hp and shifting that low, there is less heat to reject out of the system. I bet our setup couldn't handle 300hp, but it doesn't need to. We weren't as fast as some on the straights even with the V8, but haveing zero issues makes for alot of fun out on track.

7 (edited by Mkotzias 2010-09-17 12:31 PM)

JBgotM wrote:

We were told our SBC had no chance of lasting in the race...especially with the auto tranny. Its a 305TBI w/ 700R4.  We ran MAM (Omaha in August) without a single problem. Running all out would cause the temp to slowly climb, then we would back out of it for about 3 laps and the temp would be right back to normal. We have an aftermarket (cheapo) gauge to watch coolant temp. Our trans temp never saw over 220F.

We are using the stock radiator. We are using a very large aftermarket trans cooler we pulled from a suburban at the junk yard. We are using a trans cooler from a explorer for an oil cooler, and a power steering cooler off of an F250. Needless to say, we went borderline overboard with junk yard cooler and it payed off.

The other thing helping us is that auto trany. It shifts at 4k rpm. When you are making less than 150hp and shifting that low, there is less heat to reject out of the system. I bet our setup couldn't handle 300hp, but it doesn't need to. We weren't as fast as some on the straights even with the V8, but haveing zero issues makes for alot of fun out on track.

Thats the answer I was looking for!!
It appears to be the cooling issues.
Do you run a Camaro?

8 (edited by JBgotM 2010-09-17 12:38 PM)

Mkotzias wrote:

Thats the answer I was looking for!!
It appears to be the cooling issues.
Do you run a Camaro?

Its a Firebird. We are actually going to rearrange our coler setup a little to see if we can improve it for the next race. Oh, the other thing is the fan. We made a fan shroud out of a refrigerator door and had a fan good enough to keep some good airflow in there. We also made a pretty stout airdam (out of an oven drip tray) to draw in fresh air at the bottom. Check out the pictures below.Like I said, we went OCD on the cooling stuff with coolers, airflow, and gauges. It worked.

Here's a like to a couple galleries. One is during the build, and one is at MAM.
http://picasaweb.google.com/LandsharkMZ3/BigOilRacing
http://picasaweb.google.com/LandsharkMZ … fOmaha2010

Mulry wrote:

So are you saying that a windage tray and larger pan doesn't work to minimize oil frothing with a CSB, or just that the budgetary considerations of this particular series rule them out?

Budget - of course saying that I know I can make a pan out of sheet metal scavenged from a trucklid...  But you have to know about the problem in order to address it.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

I think if most guys would go the low rpm route, their v8 would last a long time on track.

The guys across from us were shifting a JY (200 K miles?) motor at over 6000 rpm.  No wonder it broke.  Granted, a screaming V8 makes a great sound, but you've got to be realistic.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Not in a racing application.

So are you saying that... the budgetary considerations of this particular series rule them out?

That's the gist of it.

12 (edited by JBgotM 2010-09-17 07:03 PM)

We fluxuate between 20-30psi on track. At least that what our cheap mechanical gauge says.

The only Detroit V8s that have proven to be very reliable in Lemons racing are the Ford Modular 4.6 (2-valve) and the Chrysler LA small-block (and we've only seen a handful of 318s and 360s, so the sample size might be too small). The Ford Windsors have done better than the Chevy small-blocks, but they still fail with alarming frequency.

Why not swap a Ford 4.6 into a Camaro? Instant Lemons Legend status!

We had an aluminum radiator left over from a wrecked circle track car and a big transmission cooler for our turbo 350 automatic trans. Everything else was stock. We ran the car at two events and the motor ran great until the radiator cap let go in one race and in another race spun a bearing after a guy tried going 100mph in 2nd not drive and over revving the motor.

We also ran a truck oil filter and overfilled the oil by one quart. It seemed to keep any heat issues away from our car. You also want a good shroud for the fan that seals well to the radiator. Ideal spacing for the fan is half in, half out of the shroud.

With that all said, we're switching from our SBC car to a Chevette because the fuel mileage flat out sucked in the V8. We burnt through 250 gallons of gas at the last race and that got old.

I highly recommend an oil cooler. It gives you a larger oil capacity and also keeps you from cooking things. I whole-heartedly believe that's what kept our Jaguar running for 10 more laps AFTER the gauge pegged at 130+C.

Judge Phil wrote:

The only Detroit V8s that have proven to be very reliable in Lemons racing are the Ford Modular 4.6 (2-valve) and the Chrysler LA small-block (and we've only seen a handful of 318s and 360s, so the sample size might be too small). The Ford Windsors have done better than the Chevy small-blocks, but they still fail with alarming frequency.

Just yesterday I was trying to talk my team into putting a Ford diesel truck motor into our firebird. It would be an unholy union, but hilarious. We were afraid hitting the brakes would cause us to do a nose stand in every braking zone.

JBgotM wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Just yesterday I was trying to talk my team into putting a Ford diesel truck motor into our firebird. It would be an unholy union, but hilarious. We were afraid hitting the brakes would cause us to do a nose stand in every braking zone.

So put the engine in the back. Duh.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Our 305 is going into it's 3rd race, including one full 24-hr. Agree with everyone on the cooling, we're running the heavy-duty dual fans from an IROC.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

We are going to be on our 3rd race with our Camaro (305 auto)  and the engine has never missed a beat yet.  Now our team has been circle track racing with the SBC for years so we simply applied what we knew to our Lemons car...and all has been good.  This is what we did.

1.  We put the cooling fans on a switch,  the computer is set to turn them on at a very toasty 220 degrees so now we can turn it on earlier to keep the temps down.

2.  We snagged a transmission cooler out of a junk yard, not only does it keep the transmission happy, but it takes some of the strain off the radiator.

3. We run a thermostat blank.  It helps increase the flow of coolant, some people pull out the thermosat all togethor...but that actaully makes the cooling issue worse!

4. We flushed the cooling system NUMEROUS times to get all the crap out of it.  The car had a  (almost) new radiator in it when we bought it so we were in luck but make sure the guts of your radiator are not too corroded to do the cooling. 

5.  We don't beat the car to death!!  Keep the RPMs low, its a pushrod V8  that's what it wants to do anyways!!

As far as why everyone else with a SBC fails, I think its a combination of all the things everyone has mentioned,  not enough cooling, too much power from junk parts, and many of the SBCs that get to Lemons are VERY tired by the time they get to the track.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Mkotzias wrote:

street use =/= endurance racing.  there are plenty of 20-year-old Hondas running around out there with perfectly fine head gaskets, but hammer that same engine on a track for 9 hours straight and the results are often quite different.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on street SBCs, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive one to Tierra Del Fuego tomorrow. Great engine... but not great for Lemons.

That said, at least 25% of Lemons SBCs make it through an entire race without a major problem. That's not as good as the 35% success rate for Honda Bs and Ds, but good enough to be worth a shot.

i've run 2 races in a firebird and it has failed to finish twice, but neither was engine related.  shifting at less than 4000rpm because the power drops off the map probably helped

Ford 5.0's have done well & won.....but only in non ford cars.....  :>)

The engines in the cop cars seem good (4.6) with "less" problems...  The mercedes V8 that won clearly did well......the 928 V8 held has improved to a 2 in 3 "finished" rate....as in of the 3 races 928's entered it was actually running in the end twice

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I believe there is a secret way to make SBC's cool very much better but I don't think it's Lemons legal and I wouldn't want to be accused of even thinking of creative rule interpretation...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Reverse the coolant flow?