Topic: What's the Ultimate Horrific Repair Attempt

I'm not talking your typical head gasket on a MR2 or G-body engine swap... We're talking NASTY, "No one in their right mind" kind of deal.

My vote is the 63 T-bird Transmission "rebuild" at Gingerman - but I'm a little bias... hehehe

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

2 (edited by Spank 2010-09-18 10:38 PM)

Re: What's the Ultimate Horrific Repair Attempt

Didn't witness it, but a 1 cylinder fiero sounds pretty friggin' bad ass (no pun intended). I mean, WTF!

(edit: oops. Didnt' realize those two were at the same event. Kinda sucks that probably the two most epic repairs ever happened at the same event with only 1 Heroic Fix award)

I witnessed both, and sort of helped motivate the 4-2-1 Fiero repair. I'd have to give the nod to the transmission repair, if only because an Iron Duke is a piece of cake to work on compared to the nightmarish innards of practically any auto transmission.

Wheel welded back onto the hub.  While the transmission was interesting, it wouldn't leave you on your roof if/when it failed.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I thought that our 1/8 inch stainless steel angle bracket with zip ties to kludge a broken shifter cable back together was pretty horrific.  I do not any longer.

-Eric
Team Dead Presidents
MR2 President Yee-Haw Lemons Texas 2010 (Yes, it WAS bouncing up and down the WHOLE time!)

I vaguely recall something about a team pulling off an engine swap without a hoist by welding an A-frame to the strut towers or something. Summit Point maybe?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

I vaguely recall something about a team pulling off an engine swap without a hoist by welding an A-frame to the strut towers or something. Summit Point maybe?

Yeah that was Summit Point.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Didn't a team make a clutch disc from sheet metal and some old brake pads?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

That was a Saab team at CMP Spring09 or Fall08.

Ranger wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

It was the Turbo Schnitzels XR4Ti team at CMP.

Jeff G 78 wrote:

WHAT? Please god tell me someone has pictures.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/images/poster29471850.jpg

We made lifelong friends that day.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

EyeMWing wrote:

Yeah, that was my cage they used.

I just ground some of the old welds off one of the tubes to use as a new harness bar Saturday.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

RobL wrote:

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/images … 471850.jpg

Rob,

You've made a whole bunch of friends over the last couple of years.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
RobL wrote:

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/images … 471850.jpg

Rob,

You've made a whole bunch of friends over the last couple of years.

Yes they have.  Never met someone more willing to go waaaaay out of there way for someone they have never met.  We will have beer for you at Gingerman rob.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I would now like to change my stance on a Lemons TV show.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Seemed kinda horrific at the time.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs268.ash1/19538_1306132777957_1369652107_850425_3945515_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Judge Phil wrote:
Ranger wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

It was the Turbo Schnitzels XR4Ti team at CMP.

Where the Jalopnik article for this heroism?!

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

I was at GingerMan, the T-Bird and the Fiero both deserved serious props for their efforts. But I have to hand it to the clutch disc/brake pads guys - that was serious ingenuity and hilarious to boot.

The engine swap thing depends on your perspective - MkI VW peeps routinely use a 2x4 and a chain for this purpose. Even I've done it that way. smile It is completely hilarious to watch, though. I mean, it is really funny.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?