Re: Has anyone noticed how well the Infiniti J30 has done?

They are great drivers on the track. I had fun racing with them, in what eventually because the best pass in my life. Lots of fun, those guys.

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...

I'm friends with two of the drivers. Robert blamed his doing well on all the street racing we did in high school, His '66 mustang against my 70 bug, and lots of twisty roads. My goal is to beat him!!  for a case of beer!!!

1985 BMW 535i... one of the slowest builds ever!!!

It actually looks good with the splitter and wing now too.

http://i51.tinypic.com/33o711e.jpg

29 (edited by ray96disco 2010-10-14 01:37 PM)

Don't mean to dredge up old posts but I just heard about this one. Thanks for the picture. So few good ones on track and always from someone else.

You were spot on on the wheels.

Our Infiniti doesn't have a limited slip differential. As I understand it, only the touring models received them. We'd like to find one but there are so many other things the Little Pig needs.

It does have a detuned 300ZX engine coupled to an automatic. And it wallows, too. Very soft suspension but we've worked on that some by getting junkyard 300ZX turbo springs in the front and cutting a coil or so off the stock ones in back. Can't get stiffer shocks - only oem parts are available. Nobody ever made go-fast parts for these things. Still have the original dinky sway bars and would love to get some thicker ones.

It was abused in its early life by an alcoholic who practically lived in it and never did maintenance. Just stored her crap in it (bags of dog food rotted and moldered for three years with a couple of the window seals gone). We had to take all of her shit out of before we could have it and emptied two or three large trashcans. Why she wanted the mildewed clothing has always been something of a mystery to us. She smoked so much, she burned out the ashtray (how the %#^! do you do that!?) and, when we pulled the carpet, we found more cigarette butts and dead cockroaches than you can shake a stick at. Of course we did this in Robert’s backyard and he was threatening to call the EPA because the smell was so bad on warm days, which is most of the time in San Antonio (at least when it was at Gregg’s house and mine the windows were still in it).

So now, we've saved it from the clutches of that poor wretch to use for the track and I only hope it's grateful for getting away from her because, while we beat on it like its a drum on the track, it's been living the life of Riley off track, like living in a garage, getting fluids changed, new shoes, brakes, fancy plywood splitter (yes I was the one that broke it coming back from the gas pump late Friday night) and tuner’s special spoiler etc. And the disgusting stench of the interior is gone since we finally got rid of the dashboard, though you still catch the slightest whiff every so often on a hot day. Come to Gregg's house and open the tool box in his pickup to find out what the car smelled like - the jumper cables were in the Little Pig for 6 mos. or so after we bought it and I’ve got money riding that smell never completely goes away.

But it's a fun little car & we've had a blast. Only Ed had track experience other than autocrossing and one driver hadn’t even done that. He was an off-roader from way back. But one of the staffers or someone once said, "This is more like rush-hour driving on the freeway than racing. We've so much fun doing this. Much better than autocrossing ever will be because you get so much seat time and get to run wheel to wheel like you always dreamed about. My only gripe is that we're only running a couple of races each year because the skirts don't get too fussy about two weekends a year. If only they really wanted us out of the house!

My hat's off to the schemers that thought this one up. Only wish it had been me...

Swine Flew Raycing
1995 Infiniti J30

30 (edited by Jer 2010-10-15 04:33 AM)

Loren wrote:

Easy.  A 25-year-old $500 sports car has been likely put through the ringer by one or more young male drivers and is genuinely beat to shit.  A 25-year-old J30 likely spent its first 10 years being driven by a yuppie who may not have known anything about cars, but at least kept it well-maintained and didn't flog the snot out of it.  And after that, it was just a second-hand luxury car and driven in much the same manner, perhaps with a lesser degree of regular maintenance.

QFT.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Hmmm theres a J30 in Philly for $700 with an "electrical issue".  If anyone is interested I can provide a link.  Says everything is fine but will need to be towed.  LOL

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)