Topic: Lets talk rear suspension: specifically straight axle

We ended up with a dirty cheap (and just plain dirty) Mustang II we are going to start on in the next few weeks.

Front suspension is easy and cheap (is is a MII after all) but the rear is going to need some help. the car has the choked down 302, so I expect a tad bit of torque and half as many horses.

keep the leaves? Ebay coil overs? 3 link, 4 link, Watts, panhard, torque arm?

We are working in a fairly well equiped fab shop, but no CNC's or anything really cool.

HELP!

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Re: Lets talk rear suspension: specifically straight axle

Tennis balls. wink

m610 wrote:

Tennis balls. wink

Where do you propose we stick them?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Custom fab torque arm and panhard rod

Uncle Humjaba wrote:

Custom fab torque arm and panhard rod

doable. Do we keep the leafs and just add these?

I'm kinda newbish to this stuff, is there a good source to check out? I didnt find any good books at the bookstore, and web searches are hand to get any "real" info on.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

A 3 or 4 link can be done for Lemons money if you have fabricating skills... I am only just learning about this stuff so I might get the terminology wrong, but Tommy fabbed up some home-grown suspension improvements using lots of scrap metal for the SHO-stang... such as boxing in the stock trailing arms... I think he made it a 3 link?

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

If you can create or graft on a Watt's Linkage-style assembly to the pumpkin, it would work great. I've talked to some people running pickups and it seems that the rear leafs partially act in the same manner. I would just get some nice stiff shocks. The jury's out and dependant on the amount of rear sway the car gets, a ghetto anti-sway bar could be a big help.

The bottom line is that you want to limit or prevent undesired geometry changes back there. stuff like the axle sliding forward/back on it's perches or side-to-side movement. converting to coils may sound like an easy solution but may wind up being a bigger hassle than simply dialing in the leaf/live axle properly.

A quick & dirty "how-to" on a 3rd link and panhard bar --> http://www.spike.com/full-episode/project-street/30578

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Good stuff! thanks guys. We were doing some digging, and apparently the new crown vics have a watts style link on top. We can snag one of those and try it out.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

if you are going for IOE do a quarter elliptical!

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

A panhard rod would be a good thing to add, but maybe you should drive the car first. It may not be really necessary. All depends on how much the rear end is moving around in the corners/

Springs, go get another set of the M2 rear springs. disassemble. Then you can add extra leafs to the existing packs on the M2 and if you want to lower it, flip one of the add on leafs.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

What the Hell? Disassemble the spring pack and put in fresh isolation pads lubed up with moly/graphite/EP etc. grease and reassemble to minimize inter leaf friction. Check eye bushings and the mounts for cracking then add a fat (and maybe adjustable) sway bar and half-decent shocks. Then drink a beer and start on the things that really matter to finishing a race....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

mackwagon wrote:

but maybe you should drive the car first. It may not be really necessary. All depends on how much the rear end is moving around in the corners.

This.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We ran stock Pinto wagon leaf springs on our Bobcat.  No sway bar, panhard bar, nothing.  She handled like a dream.  If I were you, I'd worry about the beating your front tires will take with all of the weight up front.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Lemonious Monk wrote:

We ran stock Pinto wagon leaf springs on our Bobcat.  No sway bar, panhard bar, nothing.  She handled like a dream.  If I were you, I'd worry about the beating your front tires will take with all of the weight up front.

Same thing for our firebird. We talked about all the possibilities to modify the rear with boxing things and reinforcing things. All the weight is iver the front. We are trying to get the front end from shredding tires so all the suspension focus is up there.. The rears weren't really a problem and the overall balance was decent.

If you have rear leafs, leave it alone. Why worry about a panhard or watts when your springs do the work of centering the rearend? If it comes to panhard vs. watts, I'd go panhard with a 3rd link. Watts links can cause binding (especially on 1st gen RX-7s) that makes for tricky handling. Panhards cause some side-to-side movement of the axle, but it's inconsequential if you set it up right. It's also lighter. But that's my take, YMMV.

EriktheAwful wrote:

If you have rear leafs, leave it alone. Why worry about a panhard or watts when your springs do the work of centering the rearend? If it comes to panhard vs. watts, I'd go panhard with a 3rd link. Watts links can cause binding (especially on 1st gen RX-7s) that makes for tricky handling. Panhards cause some side-to-side movement of the axle, but it's inconsequential if you set it up right. It's also lighter. But that's my take, YMMV.

I wish I could find the video I was watching a year or two ago. There was a ex-dirttrack Monte carlo at one of the houston events, and you could watch the two rear wheels bouncing around in the wheel well as the car came off a straight and into a turn.

A leaf spring will let the axle rap up, turning the spring into an 'S' on acceleration. I have done a lot of straight line drag junk, just never set anything RWD up to handle. I have watched high speed of a 2nd gen camaro on the drag strip wheel hopping, and it was not pretty how much the spring let the rear end jump, both up and down, back and forth, and side to side.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Loren wrote:
mackwagon wrote:

but maybe you should drive the car first. It may not be really necessary. All depends on how much the rear end is moving around in the corners.

This.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This - is why I get the big money.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Baron wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

I wish I could find the video I was watching a year or two ago. There was a ex-dirttrack Monte carlo at one of the houston events, and you could watch the two rear wheels bouncing around in the wheel well as the car came off a straight and into a turn.

A leaf spring will let the axle rap up, turning the spring into an 'S' on acceleration. I have done a lot of straight line drag junk, just never set anything RWD up to handle. I have watched high speed of a 2nd gen camaro on the drag strip wheel hopping, and it was not pretty how much the spring let the rear end jump, both up and down, back and forth, and side to side.

Is it currently set up as spring over, or under?  I'd do some quick hoon-testing to see if wheelhop is a problem on your particular vehicle before you end up re-engineering the rear suspension.  With a spring over setup, as long as there isn't much in the way of blocks, should be reasonable for wheelhop.

You can also get wheel hop with coils and a 3 or 4 link...

http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Engineeri … amp;sr=8-1

It's a good reference for a basic understanding of suspensions. You do have to keep in mind that the writer was a GM suspension engineer in the '80s, so everything he recommends is mushy with a big sway bar.

Baron wrote:

We ended up with a dirty cheap (and just plain dirty) Mustang II we are going to start on in the next few weeks.

Front suspension is easy and cheap (is is a MII after all) but the rear is going to need some help. the car has the choked down 302, so I expect a tad bit of torque and half as many horses.

keep the leaves? Ebay coil overs? 3 link, 4 link, Watts, panhard, torque arm?

We are working in a fairly well equiped fab shop, but no CNC's or anything really cool.

HELP!

It's about priorities. Most races aren't won becuase of a Killer trick suspension. They are won because the car doesn't beak down!

If you have the absolute best rear suspension in the world.. as trick as there is.   You might save 3 seconds a day over what you have..
  Chances of you making anything that will massively increase reliability (which his how races are really won)  or speed is pretty slim..
  This isn't the cut and thrust of sprint racing like SCCA and Gymkana's have..
Get reasonably stiff shocks..
a wide wheel and tire and you have developed the rear end to 90% of it's full potential within the rules..
If the rest of your car is at 90% and you drive at 90% of the car's potential you will win every single event you enter..

90%?  A Lemons car? 

Bwaaaaaahahahahahaha!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:

90%?  A Lemons car? 

Bwaaaaaahahahahahaha!

Yes you are right, However anybody with the idea that a rear suspension update is critical doesn't realize how these events are won.. They are still in SCCA cut and thrust mode..  Simply not ready to believe the reality.

OMGuar wrote:
Loren wrote:

90%?  A Lemons car? 

Bwaaaaaahahahahahaha!

Yes you are right, However anybody with the idea that a rear suspension update is critical doesn't realize how these events are won.. They are still in SCCA cut and thrust mode..  Simply not ready to believe the reality.

who the fuck ever said anything about winning?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

There are winners at Lemons?

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...