1 (edited by rockwood 2010-09-22 02:19 PM)

Topic: Fenders

We actually bought a former Altamont 88 Honda CRX (I know) that came without fenders (no extra charge for that).  As we've subsequently found out, trying to find fenders for this vehicle at a reasonable price has proven difficult.

So, I was thinking of fabbing up some EMT-reinforced sheetmetal fenders since the slightest contact will likely push the fender onto the tire (hence, our car didn't come with them).  As long as I'm pretty close to the stock bodywork's dimensions, I take it this is kosher?

Thanks!

Re: Fenders

Kinda.. The important thing is the fenders are constructed to minimize potential wheel-to-wheel contact. There has been a couple of Lemons cars flipped over in races due to this. You won't make it through tech if you have wheels extending much beyond the bodywork. Other than that the fenders can look like whatever you want.

Oh.. They also can't be constructed in a way to be usable as a weapon on other cars. No Mad Max stuff ya know.

The silver Paseo at Omaha was using what looked like a chunk cut out an old galvanized trash can as a fender.  Seemed to work fine for them smile

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

There is a toyota in Houston that uses a right side fender from the wrong car on the left side, backwards, screwed in with drywall screws...

Whatever you can do to make it work.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Who gives a shit if they are stock dimensions?

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Tractor Supply and Northern Tool both sell trailer fenders that lend themselves well to on the fly fabrication for Lemons fenders. The Dauphine used 3 Tractor Supply fenders, one on each of the rears and one split down the middle and shared on the fronts.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Fenders are safety and exempt from budget, anyway.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

That probably depends on the fenders. Widebody kit is never going to come under safety. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Cool, thanks for the replies.  Maybe I'll use diamond plate, for that extra bling... big_smile

That, or rob Dave for his election day poster idea.

Just go the junkyard and get two any old fenders.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Arn't CRX fenders the same as any other Civic from that era? If they don't bolt in I bet a bit of weld will make them fit.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

What about wood?  Anything in the rules that says you can't make body parts out of wood?

I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life there. When I stop coming here, I will be well...

13 (edited by Akaishi 2010-10-20 06:57 PM)

I've heard mention of a request for a "plywoodghini"...

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

14 (edited by rockwood 2010-10-28 01:52 PM)

Jer wrote:

Just go the junkyard and get two any old fenders.  smile

I would.

However, the junkyards around here want an amazing amount of money for fenders.  Cheapest I could find was $80 for a pair of beat up fenders from a Civic.  Trust me, if I could, I would use them.  Just hard to spend $80 on crap, you know?

I DO have one fender from a 2000 Sentra SE lying around...  Maybe a little deadblow hammer, and a welder can make that shit work... big_smile

However, since the CRX fenders are ludicrously weak, I think I'll just make some out of a beefier material, with only round stuff near the tires.

too bad you are not closer. i would give you the fenders from my 96 Integra. they are beat to hell, have extra holes in them, and are completely the wrong size, but you're not entering a beauty contest.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

too bad you are not closer. i would give you the fenders from my 96 Integra. they are beat to hell, have extra holes in them, and are completely the wrong size, but you're not entering a beauty contest.

Thanks for the half-assed offer... big_smile

We ended up making some out of EMT ($1.97 for 10'), pre-stamped tabs (24 for $8), and a sheet of the ugliest 1/4" particle-board-come-"oak" you've ever seen ($9.97):

http://www.sr20forum.com/gallery/data/500/medium/CRX_Fender.jpg

Purty, ain't they?

Have you tried the self serve yards in Otay Mesa? I got a new pair of fenders for my E30 for like $35/pair.

Looks like it's too late, but I still have my old dented fenders that I could have given you, heh.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

Have you tried the self serve yards in Otay Mesa? I got a new pair of fenders for my E30 for like $35/pair.

Looks like it's too late, but I still have my old dented fenders that I could have given you, heh.

Yep.  We pulled two disgusting fenders from a Civic: $80 for the pair.  We left disgusted and I made our own. 

Anyone think we'll have problems with these from a tech standpoint?  The tires are nearly completely covered up when looking at them from directly above...

Shoot, how did I not see this?  I'm in Ohio, but I have an extra pair of CRX fenders   in the garage.  Of course, they're PLASTIC.  (Not even fiber reinforced.  Just plastic.)  The HF apparently uses really chintzy fenders.

I hope you don't have a tech problem with that - it is stronger than the factory fenders.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

rockwood wrote:

Yep.  We pulled two disgusting fenders from a Civic: $80 for the pair.  We left disgusted and I made our own. 

Anyone think we'll have problems with these from a tech standpoint?  The tires are nearly completely covered up when looking at them from directly above...

I went on 1/2 off weekend, so that probably explained it.

Can't say on the tech standpoint.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Hit the back of a body shop to see what they left by the dumpster.  Just about everything has bolt on fronts which means the shop throws them out and gets new ones for anything with front end damage.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

dculberson wrote:

Shoot, how did I not see this?  I'm in Ohio, but I have an extra pair of CRX fenders   in the garage.  Of course, they're PLASTIC.  (Not even fiber reinforced.  Just plastic.)  The HF apparently uses really chintzy fenders.

I hope you don't have a tech problem with that - it is stronger than the factory fenders.

ANYTHING is stronger than the factory fenders.  I could've glued a bunch of aluminum cans on there and been better off. big_smile

rockwood wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Thanks for the half-assed offer... big_smile

We ended up making some out of EMT ($1.97 for 10'), pre-stamped tabs (24 for $8), and a sheet of the ugliest 1/4" particle-board-come-"oak" you've ever seen ($9.97):

http://www.sr20forum.com/gallery/data/5 … Fender.jpg

Purty, ain't they?

i doubt those will pass...you're most likely going to need to cover the top fo the wheel a little better.  for the our crown vic @ Bull Oil, we cut strips of steel from the roof and pop-riveted them to the tubing we had installed after we cut off the OE fenders.  Check out the front fender:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs116.snc4/36175_10150302106705122_896410121_15584831_7652035_n.jpg

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

24 (edited by rockwood 2010-11-22 03:22 PM)

Yeah, I'm going to add another span of EMT, then probably stitch-weld some sheetmetal to it.

BTW, Buzz, that's a Crown Vic?  WTF?!?! big_smile

rockwood wrote:

Yeah, I'm going to add another span of EMT, then probably stitch-weld some sheetmetal to it.

BTW, Buzz, that's a Crown Vic?  WTF?!?! big_smile

big_smile  yep.  a '94 P71 minus ~1400lbs.  sawzalls and plasma cutters are fun.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11