Topic: Nomex flight suits

Do9es anyone know if the Nomex flights suits are a passable substitue for the long johns when going with a two piece set up?

Re: Nomex flight suits

From what I gather EVERYTHING must have an SFI or FIA tag, no tag, no go.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

3.7: Fire-Retardant Clothing: Full SFI 3.2/A- or FIA 8856-2000-certified fire-retardant driving suits must be worn by all drivers at all times while inside the car. If using a single-layer SFI 3.2/A1 or 3.2/A3 suit, driver must also wear fire-retardant SFI- or FIA-certified longjohns. Multilayer suits rated SFI 3.2/A5 or higher are highly recommended and may be worn without longjohns. Fire-retardant FIA- or SFI-rated racing gloves and shoes are required. And yeah, while they may very well be superior, military-spec or firefighter suits are not FIA- or SFI-rated, so we can't accept them.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

At MSR Houston the inspectors also wanted to see nomex socks.......that were being sold close by for those that didn't have!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

First I'd like to say I bought nomex socks already, and think people should have them, but if it isn't in the rules its kind of shady to demand them at the track, and force those that didn't have them to go to the store around the corner to buy them.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

6 (edited by sergio 2010-09-24 08:55 AM)

BoB wrote:

First I'd like to say I bought nomex socks already, and think people should have them, but if it isn't in the rules its kind of shady to demand them at the track, and force those that didn't have them to go to the store around the corner to buy them.

+1

I was a MSRH 2 or 3 races ago when they teched my gear and the guy asked where were my nomex socks? I said the rules don't say you need them. He goes get some for next time. WTF? I got some but guess what? I seldom wear them. I think my Hans provides more real world protection than a pair of socks do. I see more crashes than fires.

No one asked me about my lack of nomex socks at MSR just a few weeks ago?

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

T-Money645 wrote:

No one asked me about my lack of nomex socks at MSR just a few weeks ago?

And yours was the only car that caught on fire ... lol

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

You guys should have been at the Sears Point race. There was a gal there doing gear check who was impossibly obnoxious about the nomex socks. She had worked up a little speech that was oh-so-dear about the importance of nomex socks and far more "clever" than the time-worn adage about ten cent heads and ten cent helmets. I was privileged to be entertained by her speech only about half a dozen times while waiting in line.

Of course, then when I presented my gear, complete with nomex socks, she then felt like I needed to enjoy her monologue one more time before I tore my ears off.

It was so annoying that now that I think about it again, I almost wonder if she wasn't doing it as a sort of public performance art thing. That race is in the San Fran environs...

FWIW and in the interest of adding something of possibly valuable contribution to this thread beyond venting my spleen, IMHO the Carbon-X socks are much more comfortable than nomex.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I don't currently have nomex socks and was not planning on buying them. They are not in the rules and IMO you should not be made have them if they are not in the rules. If Lemons wants everyone to have them,  then put them in the damn rules.

I figured nomex socks were a given.  I have them anyway from my (very short) open wheel days.  They are cheap enough I don't see what the big deal is when some of us are spending nearly $1k on a helmet/HANS setup.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Mulry wrote:

You guys should have been at the Sears Point race. There was a gal there doing gear check who was impossibly obnoxious about the nomex socks.

haha yup, I remember that well. Annoying was an understatement.

I'll admit that I had to fudge and tell her that my socks were all cotton (I have no idea if they were) to get past her. There is no mention of any sock requirements in the rules so I told her this to get her off my back. Having said that, I am buying nomex socks for my own sake, but as others here have stated, if they want to enforce a rule, it first has to BE a rule.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

RogueLeader wrote:

I figured nomex socks were a given.  I have them anyway from my (very short) open wheel days.  They are cheap enough I don't see what the big deal is when some of us are spending nearly $1k on a helmet/HANS setup.

Nothing is a given IMO. I don't need to be hassled or talked down to by some lady at tech if something is not a rule. I have been in that situation before and it is a big pain in the ass. Although I might just buy them to not have an issue, but the instigator in me wants to not buy them just to be an ass. smile

JD1969 wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Nothing is a given IMO. I don't need to be hassled or talked down to by some lady at tech if something is not a rule. I have been in that situation before and it is a big pain in the ass. Although I might just buy them to not have an issue, but the instigator in me wants to not buy them just to be an ass. smile

so buy them and just don't bring them to tech. You can be an ass and still not singe your toes.

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

JMo wrote:

so buy them and just don't bring them to tech. You can be an ass and still not singe your toes.

LOL. Best laugh of the day so far. Well done, sir.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

LTDScott wrote:
Mulry wrote:

You guys should have been at the Sears Point race. There was a gal there doing gear check who was impossibly obnoxious about the nomex socks.

haha yup, I remember that well. Annoying was an understatement.

I'll admit that I had to fudge and tell her that my socks were all cotton (I have no idea if they were) to get past her. There is no mention of any sock requirements in the rules so I told her this to get her off my back. Having said that, I am buying nomex socks for my own sake, but as others here have stated, if they want to enforce a rule, it first has to BE a rule.

I thought cotton was bad....isn't wool the "char but not burn" old time material? Now if you'll excuse me, I have to soak my Les Leston driving suit in borax...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

If I remember right wool and silk are the best of the natural materials but cotton is good.   I don't think there are such a thing as silk socks, but it does mean your fine to race with your Silk Pajamas under your race suit like you are Hugh Hefner.

Facebook Page

jimeditorial wrote:

I thought cotton was bad....isn't wool the "char but not burn" old time material? Now if you'll excuse me, I have to soak my Les Leston driving suit in borax...

Actually I think you're correct.... it was wool, not cotton.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

BoB wrote:

If I remember right wool and silk are the best of the natural materials but cotton is good.   I don't think there are such a thing as silk socks, but it does mean your fine to race with your Silk Pajamas under your race suit like you are Hugh Hefner.

There are silk socks, at least there used to be. Skiers used them, because they are warm and thin, so boots fit better. Now we have synthetics that are much better, but VERY flammable. I don't intend to be an ass at tech, I will  probably buy the stupid socks, my point was that if the tech people are going to hassle us about it, just make it a rule and that way there is no room for argument.

The problem isn't that they catch fire its that the synthetics melt which is actually far worse than fire since you can put the fire out but the melted materials fuse to the skin, Plus cotton would have to get in contact with the fire to catch fire, but the sythetics will melt if they get hot enough.

Facebook Page

Yea I know they melt, I should have said that instead of calling them flammable. I actually advise my customers to not put their ski sock in the drier because it can affect them.

I know two ladies who like to knit socks.   Now they want to know where to get Nomex yarn, and if you can get it in colors.   I may wind up with some, er, "interesting" nomex socks.   :-)

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I heard one of the guys at CMP "strongly recommend" nomex socks. I smell a rule change coming.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I know you can buy nomex thread don't know about yarn though.

Facebook Page

What about nomex/fireproof wigs?

I would REALLY like to zip around the track with a big-ass Bob Ross wig glued to my helmet.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.