Re: Nomex flight suits

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

What about nomex/fireproof wigs?

I would REALLY like to zip around the track with a big-ass Bob Ross wig glued to my helmet.

Don't worry your purdy little head there Pete, that's why we have to have the wear the Snell SA2000 or better helmets so that you and all the other Bob Ross naturals will never have to worry.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

No but I'm serious. This has been bothering me late at night. Are there fireproof wigs that will pass tech?

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

No but I'm serious. This has been bothering me late at night. Are there fireproof wigs that will pass tech?

Well Pete if this is keeping you up at night than I will give you a good answer. There are no SFI rated wigs on the market, there are however wigs made from Kanekalon which is a non flammable fiber.
There are also Flame Retardant Fabric Sprays that you can coat your wig with.
My first answer I  also think is correct, having the wig on top of your helmet is not going to reduce the effectiveness of the materials inside your helmet that are designed to protect your head in case of fire.

Having said all this.... I don't think even after buying a wig and spraying it with flame retardant is going to fly with anyone in tech. You know insurance, Lawyers and such.
Suggestions: Wear two SFI head socks, Velcro wig to helmet, (That way you can rip it off if it does catch on fire) or two helmets one for the paparazzi and one for the race.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno

this has to be, the most non useful but most entertaining thread i've read for a while.....I don't know whether to laugh at the 'I might buy the Nomex sock and not take them to be an ass' (cos thats my way of dealing with life) or to have a great guffaw at the thought of a Bob Ross themed racing team, with easels and brushes and hushed team commands!  Brilliant!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Markdas wrote:

this has to be, the most non useful but most entertaining thread i've read for a while.....I don't know whether to laugh at the 'I might buy the Nomex sock and not take them to be an ass' (cos thats my way of dealing with life) or to have a great guffaw at the thought of a Bob Ross themed racing team, with easels and brushes and hushed team commands!  Brilliant!

Actually that is not my way of dealing with life, just my attempt at humor. Although I do not like being lectured at for something not in the rules.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

Well....it brightened up my day.......It sounds like its going to be a rule in the future, I have socks already.....and if the inspection guys on the day say you need them.......your're going to need them!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Markdas wrote:

Well....it brightened up my day.......It sounds like its going to be a rule in the future, I have socks already.....and if the inspection guys on the day say you need them.......your're going to need them!

i don't think that is true.  the gear inspectors cannot make up their own rules; if nomex socks are not required in the rules, they are not required.  what if an inspector decided on his own that everyone needs a HANS device?  there is no difference.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Bah, I just ordered a pair of Nomex socks. I still might be an ass though, I make no promises. Buzz I agree, your example with a HANS is spot on. To be honest, I would wear a HANS, but if it was mandated it would be a deal breaker for me and my team at this point. Another $3-500 in safety gear (I know it's about being safe bla bla bla) and I just could not swing it money wise. The cost for a start up team is pretty high, and for a guy with kids, house, wife, car payments etc. it really adds up. Now maybe next year, after the car is built and all that stuff, I will swing a HANS.

Never underestimate the power of Mom. My mother paid for me to get a Hans instead of a donut.

I thought socks were required, so I've never had a problem with tech.

EriktheAwful wrote:

Never underestimate the power of Mom. My mother paid for me to get a Hans instead of a donut.

my mom bought me my whole original setup (Helmet, suit, etc) for graduating college in 2002.  However now that I'm out on my own, AND she already paid for it once, I believe it will probably be a cold day in hell before that happens again!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

36 (edited by JD1969 2010-10-01 08:03 AM)

My mom is 70 years old and on a fixed income, there is no way in hell I would ask to her drop $600 on anything for me.

RogueLeader wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

my mom bought me my whole original setup (Helmet, suit, etc) for graduating college in 2002.  However now that I'm out on my own, AND she already paid for it once, I believe it will probably be a cold day in hell before that happens again!

We got mom to sponsor $500.00 bucks worth of safety, this is what we put on the car.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0tq6LmDi_Fs/S … R/Mom2.jpg

Let me share a little story with ya's...about 35 years ago, i started running the bull rings around Indiana.  I promised myself I would do SAFETY @ 100%.  Weht to Hinchman and bought a $500 suit, gloves, socks, belaclava and a $150 Bell Racestar.  Put in RJS belts, w/ sub strap, a $200 fire system and a very good cage.  When I got to the track I was nearly laughed outta the place.  Most of the guys were wearing jeans and nylon jackets in their colors with their names on 'em.  I took the laughing in stride along with the jokes.  Fast forward 2 years...most of the guys were now in Nomex but refused to wear gloves or sox or shoes.  In mid July at a track in Wisconsin there was a terrible wreck and one of the competitors was not wearing gloves...you guessed it, the fire burnt his hands to the point that after 8 surgeries and grafts, he still can't pick his nose or his ass.  QWIT YER BITCHIN'!! It seems that there are rules about gloves, sox and underwear some don't like!  It's better than not being able to hold yourself while you pee!  Get over it...do what is best, not just for yourself, but wives, girlfriends, (never these 2 in the same place together) kids and grandkids!  'Nuff Said!

Don't worry about things you have no control over!

Captain Morgan's Rumrunners
Central Indiana

windowman99 wrote:

Let me share a little story with ya's...about 35 years ago, i started running the bull rings around Indiana.  I promised myself I would do SAFETY @ 100%.  Weht to Hinchman and bought a $500 suit, gloves, socks, belaclava and a $150 Bell Racestar.  Put in RJS belts, w/ sub strap, a $200 fire system and a very good cage.  When I got to the track I was nearly laughed outta the place.  Most of the guys were wearing jeans and nylon jackets in their colors with their names on 'em.  I took the laughing in stride along with the jokes.  Fast forward 2 years...most of the guys were now in Nomex but refused to wear gloves or sox or shoes.  In mid July at a track in Wisconsin there was a terrible wreck and one of the competitors was not wearing gloves...you guessed it, the fire burnt his hands to the point that after 8 surgeries and grafts, he still can't pick his nose or his ass.  QWIT YER BITCHIN'!! It seems that there are rules about gloves, sox and underwear some don't like!  It's better than not being able to hold yourself while you pee!  Get over it...do what is best, not just for yourself, but wives, girlfriends, (never these 2 in the same place together) kids and grandkids!  'Nuff Said!

that's beside the point.  no one is questioning the need for any safety gear, but you can't have inspectors making up rules on the spot.  if X is required, than X is required, not X + Y, no matter how good of an idea Y might be.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
windowman99 wrote:

that's beside the point.  no one is questioning the need for any safety gear, but you can't have inspectors making up rules on the spot.  if X is required, than X is required, not X + Y, no matter how good of an idea Y might be.

And what made it even worse was that you were being told were to buy this saftey item that wasn't written in the rules so you wouldn't have known you needed to buy it before hand.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Markdas wrote:

Just quote the fool Rule 3.7.1...socks highly recommended but NOT required!

Don't worry about things you have no control over!

Captain Morgan's Rumrunners
Central Indiana

windowman99 wrote:

Just quote the fool Rule 3.7.1...socks highly recommended but NOT required!

And then get the "ten cent head/ten cent helmet" litany in addition to the original diatribe? Hardly. I recommend "something mumble mumble, okay," get your sticker and leave. Dealing with underpaid low-level governmental clerks teaches the value of grudging acceptance and moving on.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We're supposed to wear socks while in the car?

It doesn't say you need socks in the rules.  Heck I've always assumed the people wearing multilayer suits are completely naked underneath.

Its best not to think about that less sentence.

Facebook Page

Heck I've always assumed the people wearing multilayer suits are completely naked underneath.

Well, you're not supposed to wear cotton skivvies under the suit, right?

BoB wrote:

It doesn't say you need socks in the rules.  Heck I've always assumed the people wearing multilayer suits are completely naked underneath.

Its best not to think about that less sentence.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060415023005/muppet/images/thumb/0/07/Sam_Eagle.JPG/250px-Sam_Eagle.JPG

“I would like to say a few words about nudity in the world today. And I, for one, and just appalled by it.

“Are you aware that underneath their clothing, every single human is walking around completely NAKED?

“Yes, and it’s not just the people, although goodness knows that’s bad enough. Animals too, even cute little doggies and pussycats can’t be trusted. Underneath their fur…absolutely NAKED!!

big_smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

BoB wrote:

I know you can buy nomex thread don't know about yarn though.

I am now on a quest to find Nomex yarn. My wife is a knitter, and I think I need some hand knit Nomex socks before Buttonwillow. I have regular Nomex socks, but they are thin and got stained blue from my shoes.

Key Lemon Racing #963
Haze Gray and Underway Wagovan

cmcpokey wrote:
BoB wrote:

I am now on a quest to find Nomex yarn. My wife is a knitter, and I think I need some hand knit Nomex socks before Buttonwillow. I have regular Nomex socks, but they are thin and got stained blue from my shoes.

A nomex scarf would look rather nice blowing in the breeze as you drive.

Facebook Page

cmcpokey wrote:
BoB wrote:

Let me know what you find.   I can just imagine our wives sitting there knitting at Buttonwillow.   It may start a new fad!   :-)

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Nomex yarn:

http://www.saunders-thread.com/

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.