Topic: CMP Sout Fall 2010

Just want to thank everyone at CMP last weekend, especially the staff and crew, for a wonderful time.  Sunday morning's rain was the most fun I have ever had in a car, and made the three months of late nights buliding all worth it. 

It was a traffic jam at times, and our car took a good bit of damage, but almost everyone took it all in stride.  It cracked me up when the guys in the Golf brought back part of our bumper they found stuck in our car.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Re: CMP Sout Fall 2010

was this the blue 535, #55?

do you have your build documented on-line anywhere?  looking for some ideas for our 528.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

It is all on our link on Facebook.  The best thing we did was 735i calipers and rotors front and rear with braided lines and E36 M3 pads. Direct bolt on.

Rich DeFrancisco
1986 BMW 535im

<<SoldMyStang's teammate

I'm looking at their FB page now...I have that covered, sir.

Our thanks as well.  This was our best finish ever and we had a great time.  We spoiled our new teammembers with the experience.  We were sad to see the Tunachuckers take out the Duff Civic.  Those are both cars (and teams) that we enjoy seeing on the track.  I hope you guys bring them back.

On the plus side I don't think there were any other serious incidents.  That's a big improvement from the days of multiple red flags for burning cars.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Judges, can you share the BF count?  When I was driving people seemed to be behaving very well for the most part.  I saw a few wheels off, but only one metal-to-metal contact in my 4 hours behind the wheel.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We had a great time in the Eagle Talon while it lasted. It blew the headgasket with a couple hours left on Saturday. Looks like the engine could be toast. Broke the timing belt and crunched up some valves. Oh well, but it left plenty of time to work on the webcast.

Thanks to everyone at the track that made for a great weekend. Even with a blown motor it was tons of fun!

8 (edited by Uncle Humjaba 2010-09-27 07:38 AM)

I had a blast this weekend as well. First time on track for 5 of our 6 drivers, including myself, so I apologize for any idiot driving that may have been experienced by y'all tongue

I was out for about 30 minutes before quiet hour sunday and for an hour after before the brakes got smooshy. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of traction our car had, especially compared to everyone else out there. Going through turn 3(? the first sharp left) 3-wide between a crown vic and the uss enterprise (i think) in the rain was scary to say the least.

VKZ724, I think almost all of our drivers had some sort of contact with other cars at least once during our 8 hours of time on the track.  Lots of cars were coming into corners too hot and we were hit despite doing our best to make room for them.  I was personally rear-ended twice and a car scraped me while passing on the inside.  No major damage though; the worst looks like our front passenger-side fender was pushed in 3 inches.  Not sure how, but all our pink and purple stars stayed in place and the wheel itself was fine.  Also found some fiberglass from another car where our passenger seat would be.

I understand the rain was heavy, but IMO South Spring was a much cleaner race.  None of this is complaint; we had lots of fun despite a 9 hour engine swap (my first one!).

st_rage wrote:

We were sad to see the Tunachuckers take out the Duff Civic.  Those are both cars (and teams) that we enjoy seeing on the track.  I hope you guys bring them back.

The Duff car will be back. I got under it and the damage is all to the wheel, trailing arm, and upper control arm (other than the cosmetic damage, but that just adds character). It looks like the wheel took the initial hit, which probably saved the car. The subframe looks untouched. I'll grab some parts from LKQ and head down there in a few days and fetch it. I don't know about the Tunachuckers car though, it looked like they shifted the whole front end of it seriously sideways. I'd be surprised if they need anything short of welding a full front clip onto it.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

We took on paint everywhere but the front right.  With over 100 cars on a mile track, it is expected.

Rich DeFrancisco
1986 BMW 535im

rmcdaniels wrote:

The Duff car will be back. I got under it and the damage is all to the wheel, trailing arm, and upper control arm (other than the cosmetic damage, but that just adds character). It looks like the wheel took the initial hit, which probably saved the car. The subframe looks untouched. I'll grab some parts from LKQ and head down there in a few days and fetch it. I don't know about the Tunachuckers car though, it looked like they shifted the whole front end of it seriously sideways. I'd be surprised if they need anything short of welding a full front clip onto it.

I certainly hope to see the Duff car back.. it's always fun drinking and driving - not necessarily in that order - with you guys.  I was worried when I saw it parked by the Palmetto Motorsports building on the way out of CMP yesterday.

Tunachunkers said the steering rack was totally locked up, and the front end was certainly ugly, but I'm sure they'll be back.  They can always strap a cage in that awesome judgemobile!

Swede Sixteen Racing - 85 Volvo 740 - Southern Discomfort '10, South Spring '10, South Fall '10,
Southern Discomfort '11 (GRM Most from the Least Winner), Shine Country Classic '11
Quattro Libre Racing - 82 Audi Quattro - South Fall '09

We had a blast as well, and I'd like to add my thanks to the organizers and staff. 

I also want to thank SpeedyCop, who graciously loaned us his welder during quiet hour so we could put our exhaust back together and get back out on the track.  We lost a lot of positions because of the fix, but it held and all of our drivers got back out for some fun on Sunday afternoon.

CMP is a lot more fun in a 944 than it is in an e12, that's for sure.  Looking forward to getting back out there!

1984 Porsche 944 -- Miller High Life 962
1975 BMW 530i -- Jagermeister CSL, Lemons South Fall 2009 IoE Winner
www.facebook.com/rustyboltracing
www.rustyboltracing.com

vinzclortho wrote:

I was worried when I saw it parked by the Palmetto Motorsports building on the way out of CMP yesterday.

It wasn't really drivable with the bent trailing arm, so they let me leave it there for a few days because I had to get back to work. I'll head down there toward the end of the week with another trailing arm and upper control arm, bolt the new stuff on, and drive it back to Raleigh.

I drive my Lemons car to and from work all the time.  Cracks me up seeing all the kids in minivans looking at it.

Rich DeFrancisco
1986 BMW 535im

Your car looks really good though; if I squint my eyes mostly closed I might mistake it for a real race car.

The magic of RustOleum

Rich DeFrancisco
1986 BMW 535im

Rustoleum was way too baller for us, Dollar store spray paint applied by free child labor was all that we could afford.

VKZ24 wrote:

Judges, can you share the BF count?  When I was driving people seemed to be behaving very well for the most part.  I saw a few wheels off, but only one metal-to-metal contact in my 4 hours behind the wheel.

We didn't have as many penalties as in past CMP races, and the contact incidents were definitely down, but the level of driver anger and general red-mistiness was way higher than what we're used to at CMP. I think most of this is due to the increasing intensity of competition, as drivers who are now on their fifth Lemons race have become pretty damn fast.

As we've seen at other races since we started enforcing the letter of the law on the "three black flags equals three hours' time out" rule, taking the 10% of cars that get 60% of the penalties off the track results in a nearly deserted Penalty Box for the last few hours of the day.

Judge Phil wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

We didn't have as many penalties as in past CMP races, and the contact incidents were definitely down, but the level of driver anger and general red-mistiness was way higher than what we're used to at CMP. I think most of this is due to the increasing intensity of competition, as drivers who are now on their fifth Lemons race have become pretty damn fast.

As we've seen at other races since we started enforcing the letter of the law on the "three black flags equals three hours' time out" rule, taking the 10% of cars that get 60% of the penalties off the track results in a nearly deserted Penalty Box for the last few hours of the day.

respectfully Your Honor, i suspect the increased intensity is due to the increasing number of Yankees migrating to the CMP event.  them boys is known to be a little up-tight.  smile:)

tongue-in cheek, firmly Ya'll

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Modelwerks wrote:

Just want to thank everyone at CMP last weekend, especially the staff and crew, for a wonderful time.  Sunday morning's rain was the most fun I have ever had in a car, and made the three months of late nights buliding all worth it. 

It was a traffic jam at times, and our car took a good bit of damage, but almost everyone took it all in stride.  It cracked me up when the guys in the Golf brought back part of our bumper they found stuck in our car.

You are quite welcome.  Never let it be said that Team SOB kept something that belonged to another team!  We knew that black rubber was not off our car, and you may have needed it.  And now our car is a tad bit more pointed to cut through the air better.....

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

soldmystang wrote:

respectfully Your Honor, i suspect the increased intensity is due to the increasing number of Yankees migrating to the CMP event.  them boys is known to be a little up-tight.  smile:)

Come to think of it, all the guys who flipped out/stormed off in a huff had non-Southern accents.

Last weekend was the mos fun I've had at a racetrack in a long time.  looking forward to the next one!  hopefully next time we can keep the water temp below 260.

I had to spool my wife down when she got black flagged due to contact.  Made me laugh afterward.  The number of cautions seemed to be way down.  There were long stints of green running, or so it seemed to me.  Huge fun was had by our entire team.  We did end up with a few more bent body panels than we've had in the past.  We were happy to help the Tuna Chuckers stay on the track at turn 5 toward the end of day 1.

I about fell over when the guy was waving his hands around arguing with the judges and hit Jay in the face. The look on both of their faces was priceless.