Topic: Tech checkout for theam or single driver?

We've got 5 guys on our team and are sharing 2 full suits - does tech inspection just require one driver to be fully suited and buckled or does the whole team need to pass?  We need to do time consuming belt adjustments as well since we've got guys of all sizes and hope that we can setup for just one guy.  Thanks.

Re: Tech checkout for theam or single driver?

I've never seen tech make anyone suit up or strap in.   I keep my suit/gloves/shoes in a container that I bring with me to tech.  If you bring the two suits to tech and say that you are sharing they should be fine.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We are now requiring one guy to strap into the car during tech to make sure he can get out of the car in the event on an emergency--ideally we'd like to see everyone do it, but we hope that the one guy who does go through that process will spread the word to his guys that they need to know how to get out of the car QUICKLY.

Sharing suits is fine--check in all the gear at tech (all team members need not be present), and swap them amongst your guys during the race however you'd like.

Good post. thanks!

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

We are now requiring one guy to strap into the car during tech to make sure he can get out of the car in the event on an emergency--ideally we'd like to see everyone do it, but we hope that the one guy who does go through that process will spread the word to his guys that they need to know how to get out

Love the new addition to Tech inspection smile  It was a blast to watch at Reno

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Sharing suits is fine--

ewww.  i like my teammates, but they're (like me) a bunch of sweaty bastards.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Sharing suits is fine--

ewww.  i like my teammates, but they're (like me) a bunch of sweaty bastards.

I hear ya man.  There are a few things I won't share with anyone.  A few are my toothbrush, my helmet, and a sweaty-@ss driving suit.  Yuck!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

i've done worse to save a few hundred...

i hear you.  but if you're planning on doing more than one Lemons, it's probably worth springing for your own duds.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

i hear you.  but if you're planning on doing more than one Lemons, it's probably worth springing for your own duds.

After you do one Lemons you'll want to do more. It's like a drug. I'm trying to find a way to do SC. Credit card be damned!!!!!!

I've always just brought my stuff up in a box after tech.  One guy on each team needs to be suited but that's it.  At least they are letting us know about the getting out part, we were the first to get teched at Reno and the guy in the car jumped a foot when Jay started yelling in at him from two feet away "GET OUT!!!  YOUR FRIGGIN CAR IS ON FIRE, GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!".  Good times.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

Sharing a sweat soaked, dirty gym-sock smelling race suit is easy but requires you to use transcendental meditation to put yourself in a happy place so that you don't think about what you're actually doing

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!
BMW 6 Series ... "All Bitched Out!"

I'd also add that every team that wants to share suits are first-timers. Guys that come back ALWAYS bring their own stuff the second time....

14 (edited by BlackSheep1 2009-07-07 01:12 PM)

Also, (not sure if this is the same at every track but) at CMP if you pit or change drivers in the hot pits, everyone on the track side of the wall needs to be in a suit. 

It will really slow you guys down if one person has to help the other in/out of the car then add fuel before taking off while the rest of the team watches from behind the fence.

15 (edited by bongle 2009-07-07 08:17 AM)

We'll be second-timers at Nelson ledges if we get in, still sharing gross suits (and helmets!).  The trick to sharing suits is to not have any money and thus not have a choice.

Though sharing a suit at the northern fall races probably isn't as bad as sharing them at races like Texas, Carolina, or Buttonwillow.  I tried on our new suits last week when it was just room temperature here in Canada and very quickly broke a sweat.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

We've got 2 suits shared by 5 drivers so the plan is to always have the next driver suited and set to go.

pcross71 wrote:

We've got 2 suits shared by 5 drivers so the plan is to always have the next driver suited and set to go.

And you know that everyone over the wall (specifically the fueler) has to be wearing a suit, right?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I know about the fueler.  i figure we're not doing nascar speed level pitt stops anywy so we'll just make the best of it.  thanks

At CMP... do the teammates over the wall need to have the Multi Layer Race Suits like the drivers? Or can they be just Single Layer Race Suits?

AmericanAggressionRacing wrote:

At CMP... do the teammates over the wall need to have the Multi Layer Race Suits like the drivers? Or can they be just Single Layer Race Suits?

Don't worry, they will tell you at the drivers meeting...maybe.

Last time you needed the same stuff you wore in the car.  Single layer + nomex underwear or multi-layer without.

Captain

Perhaps i don't understand the rules afterall.  I understand that the fueler needs to be in a firesuit and think we've got that covered.  Does the rest of the gang (off duty drivers/pitt crew) need to be suited to work on the car?  surely not.  what exactly is "over the wall"??

So I guess for serious work on the car..... It can go "behind the wall" for repairs? With no suites required.

23 (edited by VKZ24 2009-07-07 12:46 PM)

pcross71 wrote:

Perhaps i don't understand the rules afterall.  I understand that the fueler needs to be in a firesuit and think we've got that covered.  Does the rest of the gang (off duty drivers/pitt crew) need to be suited to work on the car?  surely not.  what exactly is "over the wall"??

All others who work on the car 'over wall' have to be in full gear minus the helmet.  The gas man has to have a helmet with visor in addition.

Also they limit the number of people 'over the wall' just like NASCAR. In the spring I think it was three plus the driver.

Captain

AmericanAggressionRacing wrote:

So I guess for serious work on the car..... It can go "behind the wall" for repairs? With no suites required.

Correct!

Captain

Do people wear aprons to protect their expensive driving suits while fueling and doing pit work?  It's not like we are NASCAR and can buy new suits for the crew every race.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584