Topic: Various questions on my Most Stupid Idea build

I'm starting my most stupid idea build. I know what some of you are thinking, How can it be any more stupid than this:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs110.snc4/35873_443230475271_189928185271_6409155_4579880_n.jpg

Well, it can. It has, and I have only sketched some gray-prints in my head, but I'm determined to make it work. I will post some technical questions here from time to time. I also plan on visiting the shop of chief tech inspector Dave of the Houston races from time to time, so that I don't spend all weekend fixing what he thinks is wrong.

First up

1) fuel tank / cell. In a perfect world, I would have a FIA cell, but I may not. Is this an acceptable substitute: Use an OEM tank in the passenger seat (there is no room for it elsewhere) with a carbon fiber firewall, or is metal a requirement? CF would be easier to conform to the floor and firewall, then resin in place.

2) Could the CF be used as a firewall between the driver and the engine? I think I will use an old metal firewall I have, but cover it in CF to make it a solid wall with no holes.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Re: Various questions on my Most Stupid Idea build

This is not a flame.  Read the rules.

Start by reading the rules.

You've effectively asked one question in your post... and it's clearly answered in the rules.

In short:  Firewalls are metal and must have no open holes or gaps larger than 1/2" in diameter.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

If your going as far as getting a oem tank why not mount it in the stock (safer) location.  Putting a gas tank in the passenger side just sounds like a bad idea.

What about putting it in the trunk and making a firewall that way?  Firewall or not I would not want a fuel tank right next to me.  If something happened and that thing started spraying you would be covered in gas very quickly.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

You are right. I've read the rules so many times... I've just forgotten.

Still,
What are your thoughts on FIA vs OEM in non-stock location?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

rpone605 wrote:

If your going as far as getting a oem tank why not mount it in the stock (safer) location.  Putting a gas tank in the passenger side just sounds like a bad idea.

What about putting it in the trunk and making a firewall that way?  Firewall or not I would not want a fuel tank right next to me.  If something happened and that thing started spraying you would be covered in gas very quickly.

There is no trunk.

My options seem to be passenger seat, or the roof.
Option A is atleast protected by a roll cage. It would be encased in it's own firewall.

OK.  As a fellow who has done a bit of this kind of thing...

If you are going to move the fuel tank and not get an FIA one, get a steel can fuel tank like they sell at JEGS.  They are under $200.  You will still have to make a cover for it out of metal.  Use aluminum sheet, glue, and rivets.  All seams should be glued AND riveted.  Carbon would be a great idea if you dropped the $$ for high temp resin.  That cover in carbon will cost about $500 for the materials.  Go aluminum.

Make sure you mount the tank very solidly.  It will weigh 100lbs when full and in a roll over crash you will be very unhappy if it breaks free and sends streams of fuel everywhere. 

Where is the engine going?  What kind of car?

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

OK.  As a fellow who has done a bit of this kind of thing...

If you are going to move the fuel tank and not get an FIA one, get a steel can fuel tank like they sell at JEGS.  They are under $200.  You will still have to make a cover for it out of metal.  Use aluminum sheet, glue, and rivets.  All seams should be glued AND riveted.  Carbon would be a great idea if you dropped the $$ for high temp resin.  That cover in carbon will cost about $500 for the materials.  Go aluminum.

Make sure you mount the tank very solidly.  It will weigh 100lbs when full and in a roll over crash you will be very unhappy if it breaks free and sends streams of fuel everywhere. 

Where is the engine going?  What kind of car?

This is the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks.

8 (edited by Mulry 2010-09-27 11:01 AM)

One cautionary note. I think that the work you did on the last car was fabulous and you deserve your awards. But also note that it may have had the effect of branding you as someone willing to go outside the box -- not a bad thing -- but in terms of fuel cell issues, there is no tolerance for outside the box thinking. Or so it seems. If you think that your car got scrutinized closely the last time you went through tech using a stock fuel tank in the stock position, you have no idea what you're about to run into if you go with this idea. It's the difference between a prostate exam and a colonoscopy. Neither one is a lot of fun, but one has you only bent over for a second humming "Moon River" and the other one has you lying on a table for a good while longer, meanwhile a doctor is ramming something in that most delicate of places, all for your own good. Maybe there's a better metaphor out there somewhere?...

Anyway, I'm not trying to discourage you, just want to make sure you're aware of the pitfalls before you start swinging over the gorge. Jay's band of merry scrutineers will go over any fuel tank mods with a fine tooth comb and won't think twice about bouncing you out of tech for what you might consider to be a trivial oversight or construction flaw. So if you're going to do it, make sure that you've got it locked down. And pre-teched well in advance would be a good idea too. Cheers and good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Have a long discussion with Nick and Jay about this.  When I was having issues fitting the fuel cell in the Wartburg I was told with no uncertianty that if its in the passenger compartment, covered or not, it has to be FIA.   I'd hate for you to get too much into the process just to have to start over anyway.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

Have a long discussion with Nick and Jay about this.  When I was having issues fitting the fuel cell in the Wartburg I was told with no uncertianty that if its in the passenger compartment, covered or not, it has to be FIA.   I'd hate for you to get too much into the process just to have to start over anyway.

Good idea. Email sent.

Just got encouraging news:

Nick wrote:

We have seen a couple passenger-seat-area mounts for the fuel cell. To meet the letter of the rules, you'll need either an FIA-rated cell (with intact FIA tag), or a non-FIA cell with a fully enclosed metal firewall separating it from the driver.

That said, an FIA cell WITH a firewall is highly recommended for the application. The more separation between the fuel source and the driver, the better.

He closed with:

Hope that helps, and good luck! We've been waiting for a ***** car for a while now.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

He closed with:

Hope that helps, and good luck! We've been waiting for a ***** car for a while now.

If that's contextually correct (ie. number of stars = correct number of letters) I think I know what you are planning and you're right, you have no choice but to put it in the passenger compartment.  You sick sick man.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

If that's contextually correct (ie. number of stars = correct number of letters) I think I know what you are planning and you're right, you have no choice but to put it in the passenger compartment.  You sick sick man.

No, there were a few words that were condensed to 5 stars, but ya, everyone tells me I'm sick.

John,

Jay made it pretty clear he never wanted to see the Integra again.

What happened to the plan to combine the CRX left at the track and the Integra.

The CRX was fairly complete with a pretty good looking cage.

Our Z is a hatchback with a fuel cell in the rear hatch and the cage protects it.  It is covered in a metal all the way around too.

We have a passenger seat to do instruction, I am sure you and many of your team mates would all benefit from some god instruction. 

We take the passenger seat out during races and put in a water holder.

If you show up with another car like the Integra, your efforts are not as likely to be as well rewarded. 

The SHO's guys first engne swap at MSR was pretty heroic.  When they had to do the same thing at their second race, it was like did you learn anything the first time?

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

John....you're mad......but it might just work!.....what about two smaller fuel tanks located low as possible, piped with a common fill line for ease of filling.

If anyone can do this, its you!  You may wear out your tyres traveling between the paddock and tech inspection mind you!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Troy wrote:

John,

We have a passenger seat to do instruction, I am sure you and many of your team mates would all benefit from some god instruction.

Inadvertent or not, that was funny...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:
Troy wrote:

John,

Inadvertent or not, that was funny...

We all know I don't have team mates. Troy was talking directly to me.

Jay Lamm wrote:

The rules 
as written are only a minimum, bear in mind--the inspectors are 
obliged to flag and bar anything that strikes them as unreasonably 
dangerous, even if it meets the technical letter of the Rulebook, so 
you'd be going after an incredibly high bar here. I suppose in theory 
it could be done, but in practice I think it would be almost 
impossible. There are just too many dangers crammed into too little 
real estate. But of course all of this is moot, since only a total 
whackjob would build something like this anyway

You know you are retarded when Jay calls you a whackjob! :-)

Put the fuel cell on a little trailer inside a small metal box that you pull behind the car.  No hazards to the driver there and it might prevent tailgating

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

Put the fuel cell on a little trailer inside a small metal box that you pull behind the car.  No hazards to the driver there and it might prevent tailgating

Maybe paint a bullseye like the Cajuns.

I have desided to go with a FIA and a firewall.

Anyone got a FIA Cell kicking around they want to trade for a lemony 2001 Ninja 900 or a massive T3 turbo I bought new 6 years ago, but never used?

TheHeckler wrote:

Or a sidecar, then you're always 2 wide around the turns.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

so, the new rule update for fuel cell location will make my Twin Engine CRX impossible. there just isnt enough room. i could put a small cell in each engine compartment, but even I draw the safty line with fuel heating.

The CRX is just too small. Maybe I can convince Sergio to let me do it to the SHO. I could easily fit the cell in the back seat, and a second motor in the trunk. The extra horsepower will make up for the fact that he must now run with his doors.

Give Jay a call and talk to him.  There might be a way to make the project happen.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Can you put the fuel tank on a trailer and tow it behind the car? I haven't seen a rule prohibiting trailers. Fab up two trailers and fuel stops can be really quick and won't even need a two-person crew with fire suits.

I know, bad idea, but it's interesting to consider the possibilities.

I really wonder what was the rationale behind this rule change. I don't think we've had any problems so far in this series with fuel cells rupturing next to drivers, have we? Not that we want to push it, but a lot of the fun engine swap projects are going to go from difficult to near-impossible if you can't put a fully-enclosed fuel cell in the passenger seat area. Seems like a fuel cell in the passenger seat area is infinitely more safe than one in front of the driver. I dunno.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.