Topic: Rolls-Royce?

So I know where there is a barn fresh 70's Rolls-Royce parked.  Rumor has it that it was parked just because it needed a water pump.

I'd love to get my hands on it and build some sort of sacrilegious racecar.  I could be way wrong, but I really don't think that they're worth enough to not cut it up.  I know there have been some luxo-barges like Mercs and Jags raced in the past, but has anyone ever seen a ultra-luxo-barge like a Rolls on the track?  It would be a handful even if everything was in perfect running order... what could possibly go wrong?

Re: Rolls-Royce?

Funny...I watched a Monster Garage tonight featuring a RR.  They turned it into a Porta-Potty collection machine.  Can one running a Lemons be any worse than that?

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

One word: claimed.

A RR might serve better as a judgemobile...

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

It should be possible to run a Rolls in Lemons. I've seen beat-to-hell 70s examples for under $1500, and trim/interior/glass parts should be worth bucks (also, we're not going to be very strict with a Rolls during BS). We would be very, very happy to see a Lemons rolls, maybe even happier than we'd be with a Humber Sceptre.

There is no way in hell Jay would ever claim some hoopty-ass, Chevy 350-powered Silver Shadow, so don't worry about getting claimed.

They're all a little high right now ($3K range). There was one for under $1500 in Fl not too long ago I recall.

http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/1977408205.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1937547276.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/1976553934.html

This one was rolled-- a Rolled Royce! Perfect for Lemons
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/1967835924.html

Damn! Our team was discussing adding an RR for the 2012 season to join the Jag from this year and the super secret lamentable British iron that we plan on running with the Jag next year.

Actually I'd keep the RR engine, ditch the twin SUs but the motors, if maintained are very well made and pretty strong.

The hydraulics make a citroen look simple and I don't know where you would find a RR under 4400 pounds

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

it would be cool to see a RR.....hmm maybe with one Clarkson dumped in the public pool in Topgear could be bought for the right price?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I think the older ones had chrysler autos in them too.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Didn't they use pure mineral oil as brake fluid? Wonder at what temp it boils...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

What drives up the maintenance cost is the wiper fluid: 100% pure unicorn tears. And despite the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they still won't let you buy replacement fluid at your auto parts store without voiding the warranty.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

And the shifter doesn't connect to the transmission, it is purely electrical so if the wiring ( which is often possessed by the devil ) goes strange the car doesn't drive very well.

That and the 9 volume shop manual, which really is required, is very expensive.

That said, I do love working on them.  Every single part is rebuildable, even the switches and the parts are available from RR.  You need a second mortgage to buy them but they are available.  Favorite one to have rebuilt was a 1929 RR Springfield, I spent many many hours under that car.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

Actually I'd keep the RR engine, ditch the twin SUs but the motors, if maintained are very well made and pretty strong.

The hydraulics make a citroen look simple and I don't know where you would find a RR under 4400 pounds

The SU carbs are great racing carbs..  My little 238 cu. in six cylinder has over 1250 CFM carbs on it and it runs like  a banshee.
3 HD8's equal 1250 CFM..
  You put a Holley that big on an engine that small and you'd never get it to run.. Never! 
Plus SU's can have their "jets" changed simply by adjusting the large nut..
  You can also change the accerator pump simply by changing fluid in the dash pots..
ON top of that the fuel flow curve can be adjusted like those high tech computers on electronic Fuel injection. Except you don't need a lap top.. simply a screw driver and the needle book.
  You can totally adjust a SU carb and never need to buy a single new gasket (or reuse an old one)
Just to review.. Biggest carb available, easiest to adjust, fastest to adjust.. Most flexible, and you don't have to buy anything else or fabricate something..
Want more power in a Rolls Royce?  Camshaft and compression. Plus port the heads and use decent sized valves etc..  for higher RPM. 
However that would be like watching the queen in spandex..

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I think the older ones had chrysler autos in them too.

Borg Warner Model 8 Used in Studebackers and a handful of GM engines..

Thanks for all the input guys.  After looking further into it, building the Rolls into a half-assed racecar would be a pretty big mountain to climb for my first Lemons build.  The car would basically need a donor drivetrain, suspension, and brakes to be safe along with a serious diet.  The car is roughly 4700lbs.  On top of that, the car that I have in mind isn't for sale.  I'd have to somehow swindle the owner out of it (it's clear that they don't give two shit's about it, but they are also the type to keep everything).

Sadly, I think I'll have to something slightly simpler than this for my first build.

I would have loved to build something really wacky and far out for my first Lemons build. I have the skill, but in my case time is the major factor. I think if you have never built a car before, the first one should be as simple and easy as possible. Find a solid running (or close to runnign car) and go from there. That's what we are doing for the first build and it is proving to be a good choice as we are IMO down to the wire and the car is still not 100% done.  Maybe when our team decides to expand we can do a weird car car. For now our 92 Capri will have to serve us well.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs452.ash1/24906_347444639328_671564328_3316841_8061250_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs412.snc3/24906_347444644328_671564328_3316842_1114435_n.jpg

This one resides in Napa. I've been eyeing it...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

That thing is way too nice looking.  It's probably still worth something.

I tell you guys what... if you manage to get yourselves a Rolls for Lemons, I'm going to find myself a Bentley and we'll have to pick a race to have a British Luxury Battle Royale!

WAY too nice

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

22 (edited by OMGuar 2010-09-30 05:20 AM)

Serj wrote:

I tell you guys what... if you manage to get yourselves a Rolls for Lemons, I'm going to find myself a Bentley and we'll have to pick a race to have a British Luxury Battle Royale!

Well then we could have that poser, Jaguar as a grid filler..
Nah! then whiney Aston Martin would insist on playing too and there would go the neighborhood!

Serj wrote:

the Grey Poupon cup...winner gets Lehman Bros. stock options..

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:
Serj wrote:

the Grey Poupon cup...winner gets Lehman Bros. stock options..

THIS. FTW!!!

I spent a lot of time looking into a rolls as a Lemons car after our pimp-a-lac blew up.

Problem isn't the engine or the transmission.  Both are easy to swap, GM TH and a chevy engine.

Problem is the brakes.  They are insanely expensive to modify for racing.  The pricing would be somewhere in the 12k range just for the braking system.  Plus mineral oil makes crap for racing brake fluid.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible