Topic: GREED IS GOOD?

So, get a $500.00 car, gather some friends, and head to a Lemon's race for a good time... right. Not exactly. Lemon's has become like a wall street stock broker, take your money and then f-you. The fall race at CMP was a prime example of how money corrupts. What happens when you pack $100,000.00 oops, I mean 100 cars on a 1 mile course? I'll tell you, they bump, they spin, they crash, they put 2 or 4 off to avoid a wreck. These all lead to black flags. Black flags means you and your buddies get to park your car, and watch everyone else race. Not because your a bad driver, but because no one actually saw what happened and they already have your money. Jay and gang gave some teams 3 black flags and parked them, but gave other teams 5 black flags and still let them race. ??? Rules are inconsistent and different for some teams, but not for others. Oh, and guess what...... a "$500.00" BMW that was brutally fast, WON!  (With NO penalty laps) Big surprise there.  Lemon's has become like NASCAR, boring. Thankfully there is another series that allows $500.00 crapcans to race, because that is where me and 20 teammates will be spending our time & money.... actually racing, not parked because someone ran into us, or we put 2 off to avoid a wreck. So long Lemon's, good luck with your new rules. I realize that this post will be deleted, and I will be relentlessly trashed, but it's the truth,

If foaming occurs, pull relief.

Re: GREED IS GOOD?

Angry, isn't he!
Chill out Fransis!!
You knew how this goes before you went in.
Don't drive like an ass hat and play nice and you wont get flagged.
One flag for being hit is usually only a stop and go talking to.
If you act like a fool and come in with attitude,of course they will treat you with an iron hand.
Cool down and remember what this is all about.

Manny.
Elmo's revenge.

Your first 2 flags are usually a quick talking to - but they still count.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

jgorman wrote:

So, get a $500.00 car, gather some friends, and head to a Lemon's race for a good time... right. Not exactly. Lemon's has become like a wall street stock broker, take your money and then f-you. The fall race at CMP was a prime example of how money corrupts. What happens when you pack $100,000.00 oops, I mean 100 cars on a 1 mile course? I'll tell you, they bump, they spin, they crash, they put 2 or 4 off to avoid a wreck. These all lead to black flags. Black flags means you and your buddies get to park your car, and watch everyone else race. Not because your a bad driver, but because no one actually saw what happened and they already have your money. Jay and gang gave some teams 3 black flags and parked them, but gave other teams 5 black flags and still let them race. ??? Rules are inconsistent and different for some teams, but not for others. Oh, and guess what...... a "$500.00" BMW that was brutally fast, WON!  (With NO penalty laps) Big surprise there.  Lemon's has become like NASCAR, boring. Thankfully there is another series that allows $500.00 crapcans to race, because that is where me and 20 teammates will be spending our time & money.... actually racing, not parked because someone ran into us, or we put 2 off to avoid a wreck. So long Lemon's, good luck with your new rules. I realize that this post will be deleted, and I will be relentlessly trashed, but it's the truth,

yeah, because there are no cheaters in that other series are there Dude?  no miatas dominating the finishes, no cheater e36s?  please, get a grip.

glad you got to try Lemons, sorry to see you go.  but please just go.  go away. far, far away.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

I think you should investigate why you are the minority before trying other race series, or retrying ours. granted, there are a few wrinkles to work out but I've done CMP repeatedly in huge lard-ass land barges with as many as 100 cars on track and came out clean, and in a top 20. The rules are clear, if your car made contact with another; regardless of fault; YOU'RE COMING IN! It's not a hard concept to grasp, and is designed specifically for the "it wasn't me!" crowd. It takes 2 to tango buddy; you don't like it see rule 2.4.

jgorman wrote:

you want some cheese with that whine, Sally?  get a grip.

we've done CMP plenty of times, and usually don't have any contact or flags.  maybe the problem is in the mirror.

and i'll tell you what...if you get called in, it's b/c someone saw what happened.  fi you don't get called in, it's b/c no one saw what happened.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

When I started reading the first post at 9:06 am, I thought great another whiner, sore loser, whatever. This guy is going to get crucified. After some thought and reflecting on this weekends race and the other 5 Lemons I have done and 3 with a competeing series, I agree with this guy on most of what he says. Yes, Lemons has turned into a money making machine that will gladly take your money in exchange for fun and safe racing and this it should deliver. However, Lemons should not stack the track with 100+ cars, run to the bank with a deposit and then decide they are going to reduce the risk factor by thining the field with numerous and undeserving black flags. (By the way having 3 in my first day first race to getting through a whole weekend with 1 or none since, I know what a black flag should be and shouldn't be) I will cut the Lemon guys some slack because these guys are promoters and not true gear heads but these guys should know that we know this and they shouldn't pretend to be race/car experts and disparage us for making an argument. These guys have gotten so inconsistent with flags and penaltys and then label you a whiner, sore loser, or bad egg because you want to question or debate it. That I think is BS. If Lemons is going to take our money for fun safe racing then it should deliver it and it better know what they are talking about before they flag/park me and get in anyones way of fun racing.

My advice to Lemons is know who your customer is, know what your talking about and be consistent with  your rules for all cars and not just the teams that stroke your ego in the pits.

gamecock5 wrote:

When I started reading the first post at 9:06 am, I thought great another whiner, sore loser, whatever. This guy is going to get crucified. After some thought and reflecting on this weekends race and the other 5 Lemons I have done and 3 with a competeing series, I agree with this guy on most of what he says. Yes, Lemons has turned into a money making machine that will gladly take your money in exchange for fun and safe racing and this it should deliver. However, Lemons should not stack the track with 100+ cars, run to the bank with a deposit and then decide they are going to reduce the risk factor by thining the field with numerous and undeserving black flags. (By the way having 3 in my first day first race to getting through a whole weekend with 1 or none since, I know what a black flag should be and shouldn't be) I will cut the Lemon guys some slack because these guys are promoters and not true gear heads but these guys should know that we know this and they shouldn't pretend to be race/car experts and disparage us for making an argument. These guys have gotten so inconsistent with flags and penaltys and then label you a whiner, sore loser, or bad egg because you want to question or debate it. That I think is BS. If Lemons is going to take our money for fun safe racing then it should deliver it and it better know what they are talking about before they flag/park me and get in anyones way of fun racing.

My advice to Lemons is know who your customer is, know what your talking about and be consistent with  your rules for all cars and not just the teams that stroke your ego in the pits.

i don't think you have any idea what ther hell you're talking about.  do you know Jay, Nick, or Phil personally?

there is no arguing about flags.  the rules are very clear...any off, any contact is a BF.  Period.

12+-time loser

Schumacher Taxi. I applaude you for your lack of black flags however rolling your car in turn 1 a few races back clearly does not make you an expert or speak to your racing prowess. Are you the same guys? You do however have wonderful costumes and make great cheerleaders.

It is possible to have more then 4 black flags. If your transponder stops working, you get a BF, but it does not count against your 4. The BF is how the track notifies you.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

no I do not know Jay, Phil or the gang personally. It is obvious that you do. I am sure these guys are fun cool guys, I am just saying be consistent and know what your talking about.

gamecock5 wrote:

Schumacher Taxi. I applaude you for your lack of black flags however rolling your car in turn 1 a few races back clearly does not make you an expert or speak to your racing prowess. Are you the same guys? You do however have wonderful costumes and make great cheerleaders.

It was many races back and even the best drivers occasionally have incidents.  If you have a legitimate gripe, feel free to voice it in a rational adult manner. 

If you want to try and start flinging crap at other teams then by all means GTFO.

Your last line there makes it pretty clear to me that you do not "get it"  You want to be a "real" racer.  Good for you, plenty of places to do that.  But Lemons is about making fun of all you types who take it too seriously while having some fun ourselves.

Lighten up, put on a cheerleader costume and change your perspective a bit.  wink

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

gamecock5 wrote:

Not true gear heads?  Good damn luck finding anyone with more knowledge of the automotive obscure than Phil.  I used to consider myself a pretty sharp car-guy till I ran into him. 

I think coming into the penalty box, one must approach it like any other argument/discussion with your spouse, you may be right, but you ain't gonna win.

In other words, come in with humility and a sense of humor, and they will treat you in the same manner.  When you come in with the red mist, acting like an ass, prepare to really  be screwed with.

Put yourself in their shoes, listening to the same old excuses (even if this one time are in fact true, the other 2,375 times they heard it before most likely were not) has got to get old after a while.  I think they do an excellent job of keeping it safe and fun at the same time. Sure, some times justice may not be evenly distributed on each and every incident, but jeez, they have a ton of incidents so cut them some slack and just have fun.

Keep up the good work Lemons folks!

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

14 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-09-28 06:33 AM)

gamecock5 wrote:

the same guys but we have a couple of different cars.  that car was being driven by some other guys on our team that day.  i was in an MR2.

but you know what?  when that happened we didn't bitch and moan about it.  even very good drivers (which i never claimed we were) make mistakes.  the question is whether you're going to own up to it or whether you're going to whine about it.

12+-time loser

I can feel for him a bit. It took us three races to realize that we were not "racing" in the sense that the team is used to (time trial, sprints, Formula, etc). Once we stopped attempting to pass anyone and concentrated on driving at 60% of capacity, staying away from other cars, especially around turns, and generally playing defense, we stopped getting black flags. Oddly enough we also did much better results-wise, once rising as high as 2nd or 3rd (not sure which, the lead car had pitted and we may or may not have passed them) before our motor blew up. When you stop trying to go fast, you get in a lot less situations where you have to drive off to avoid someone or where you're in the way of someone who's out of control.

The other thing that we've observed is that there are some very good drivers with a lot of track time (real track time in fast/expensive cars, not Lemons track time) out there and there are a lot of ignoramuses with little or no seat time who tend to make poor choices on track. The judges have no way of determining which of these a black-flagged driver is, so they have to treat all drivers as ignoramuses. It's very frustrating sometimes, and does engender the urge to punch someone in the face.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Ok folks, fair warning.  I have no problem with a discussion of the event and as long as Jay or Nick are ok leaving it up then up it will stay.

But personal attacks, rude comments towards other teams are just getting deleted.  Keep it civil and act like adults.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

gamecock5 wrote:

no I do not know Jay, Phil or the gang personally. It is obvious that you do. I am sure these guys are fun cool guys, I am just saying be consistent and know what your talking about.

actually, only through Lemons, and only in passing.  that's why i don't make categorical statements about what they may or may not know.  how can you say they are "not real gear heads?"  what do you base that on?

12+-time loser

Scumacher - I am sorry, low blow.  The guys right.  Just ease off on the guys that may have a potential argument. Our team has never come out to win, just to be on the track.

DIPSTICK wrote:
gamecock5 wrote:

Not true gear heads?  Good damn luck finding anyone with more knowledge of the automotive obscure than Phil.  I used to consider myself a pretty sharp car-guy till I ran into him. 

I think coming into the penalty box, one must approach it like any other argument/discussion with your spouse, you may be right, but you ain't gonna win.

In other words, come in with humility and a sense of humor, and they will treat you in the same manner.  When you come in with the red mist, acting like an ass, prepare to really  be screwed with.

Put yourself in their shoes, listening to the same old excuses (even if this one time are in fact true, the other 2,375 times they heard it before most likely were not) has got to get old after a while.  I think they do an excellent job of keeping it safe and fun at the same time. Sure, some times justice may not be evenly distributed on each and every incident, but jeez, they have a ton of incidents so cut them some slack and just have fun.

Keep up the good work Lemons folks!

I agree, we never raised our voices or argued with the Lemon's staff, I had many freindly & civilized conversations with Jay.We took all our BF's and lumps with humbleness. I'm not angry, just disapointed, this used to be a fun series.

If foaming occurs, pull relief.

20 (edited by RobL 2010-09-28 06:26 AM)

gamecock5 wrote:

We are the same guys and we wear that roll with pride.  We are on our 11th race and about 20th car entry.  We have also volunteered at a race  and do know Jay and Co. personally having hung out with them with dinner and drinks a few times. 

I can personally attest to: they are more gear heads than me, you, and most of the people who show up.  They know more general information about cars than me, you, and most of the people who show up.  Jay is a racer and has been in more races than me, you, and most of the people who show up. 

Black flags are called in from the corner workers (except for those that are for speeding in the pits and fueling areas).  Jay and Co. have absolutely no control of what is or is not called in.  The workers are given instructions as to what to look for and then sent to thier corners.  Penalties are called in over a radio to race control (and black flag station) where it is then relayed to the organizers black flag area via an IM.  Once it is called in, you are going to come in and it's logged.  When you are stopped in the black area, will be the first time in this process that the organizers have any control.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

There is no talking this guy down and the whole infighting thing is not Lemons.
I have had complete strangers grab a wrench and lend a hand when I needed it at Lemons.
That is what it is all about.
If you want to whine about semantics go try big money races.
F1 guys bring their Lawyers to the race.
Such BS.

Manny.
Elmo's revenge.

Now that everyone has calmed down I can put on my other hat and give my 2 cents.

Many people tried to talk us out of racing our car because it was too nice to risk the damage (meh)

My drivers had one rule, preserve the car.  Hey, guess what? no wrecks, noone going 2 or 4 off to "avoid a wreck"   You avoid the wreck by giving up the space early on.  Getting into a dogfight in a turn for a single position in an endurance race is just foolhardy. 

Folks who come with the mentality of sprints drivers and want to mix it up are going to end up in trouble.  There's a reason that alot of newbs dont get black flaged, because they are so scared out there they wont get near another car even if it means giving up a postion.  Perhaps some of the "real racers" out there can learn a thing or 2 from them.

If you want to do "real racing" for cheap check out your local dirt tracks.  Lemons isnt just about cars on a track, its about people, its about the party, its about the spectacle.  If you take that away its just NASA/SCCA with crappy cars, or Chumpcar.  I have no interest in that.  It is the ability for the series to not take itself too seriously that has made it great and more importantly kept it from being choked off with too many rules.

If you aren't having fun, dont do it, I will back you up on that 100%.  This isnt for everyone.  The series is pretty clear about what it is and what it isnt, not much has changed over the years.  So evaluate your desires and if it doesnt meet them move on, no shame in that, this aint everyones cup of tea.

well said JThw8 !!!
Hope to see you at the next summit point race.

Manny.
Elmo's revenge

Xceler8X forgive me for not quoting, its too time consuming so hopefully my comments will find the right context.

Things are and always have been very clear, 2 off is a black flag.  There's no reason to be 2 off.  What other series' allow is not the point.  Same goes for contact.  I, for one, am very happy that this is not the rolling demo derby it used to be back in the day. 
And a thing to consider, in context with the title of the thread, the greed is all on the part of the insurance man, as are many of the rules.  I cannot even begin to fathom what it must cost to insure events like this and if a firm hand is not kept to prevent it from becoming a hoon fest then the rates skyrocket and you dont have "cheap" racing anymore.

It is not impossible to avoid contact and avoid going 2 off, its just the fact, it can be done.

Also as previously stated, Jay and Co have ZERO to do will calling the flags.  Only the enforcement of them.  There were problems at Summit with bad flagging and Jay read the flaggers the riot act.  He does try to keep things going in our favor.
The only words out of your mouth when you come in for BF should be "Im sorry, it wont happen again" if you try to make your case, no matter how politely you do it, they will come down on you, always has been, always will be.

On BABE...let's make a more realistic comparo, since noone is stopping anyone because they aren't having fun (although you can be penalized in other ways for it)  But if the organizer of the event removed me from the event because my car was unsafe or I was being unsafe then no I wouldn't be upset, because he is doing what he has to do to protect his business and his interests.   (and I highly recommend everyone here doing BABE at least once, crapcans on a closed track with support vehicles and help is for wusses, crapcans on the open road is where the real stupidity is at)

Bottom line and I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time about this, but most of the rules are set by the guys who write the insurance policy.  You can be darned sure they also come around to spot check the enforcement of those rules so Jay has to be on his toes at all times.  If no one will write the insurance, none of us are gonna play.  Jay has to do everything he can to protect that insurance policy.  To be honest I can't even imagine the hoops he had to jump through to get one in the first place.  They must have laughed him out of the office the first time or 2 he tried.

One tip for Penalty Box visits: Don't make the first words out of your mouth "Whose fucking dick to I need to suck to get treated fairly in this fucking race?" That starts the whole driver-judge interaction off on the wrong foot. This is an especially bad policy when you do it several minutes after I've put one of my favorite teams on the trailer for the rest of the day and had to watch them shuffle off like I'd just chopped off their puppy's head.

The corner workers make mistakes, not as often as some think, but of course it happens. All we get over the radio is a car number and an infraction, though in some very rare cases we'll hear that "Car A was the aggressor, Cars B and C not at fault." Some teams will get away with shit for a while, but eventually their pattern of bad driving will catch up with them and we'll punish them. Some teams will get hosed for crimes they did not commit, but odds are this won't happen more than once or twice in a weekend.