Re: GREED IS GOOD?

Xceler8x wrote:

I'm just saying that it was frustrating to be kept from racing for silly, and at times, arbitrary reasons.

I agree with this.

JThw8 wrote:

The only words out of your mouth when you come in for BF should be "Im sorry, it wont happen again" if you try to make your case, no matter how politely you do it, they will come down on you, always has been, always will be.

This is a good point, and we've drilled it into our drivers. Our version is "I fucked up out there. I need to calm down and dial it back. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again." I did that when I got BF'd for passing under yellow, even though I knew that I hadn't passed under yellow (turned out they called in the wrong number, 22 vice 122). When they figured it out they gave us a get out of jail free card, which we ended up needing, so it's all good. But any kind of argument or explanation is going to make things worse, so we just agree with whatever they tell us, no matter if they get it wrong or right. The only time that I've really had a problem with that is when I saw that a car had dumped their entire oil pan on the track. I drove straight off into the grass after I drove through the oil, and when I tried to tell Jay about it, he called me a liar and said that I was just trying to weasel out of a penalty. I thought they should have taken it seriously and red flagged the track, but I've never organized and run an event like that, so what do I know.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Judge Phil wrote:

One tip for Penalty Box visits: Don't make the first words out of your mouth "Whose fucking dick to I need to suck to get treated fairly in this fucking race?"

Please tell me this really happened ... if so, this is right up there with Mr. Mole in Lemons Forum lore.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I would hate to see this post get deleted.

I can not recall a controversial discussion getting deleted from the Lemons forum.  I think it kind of adds some integrity.

I had a post from the Chump forum deleted which very factually stated information about John Condren the founder. 

He formed Chump to cash in on Crap Cans, not to offer a better service to the community than Lemons.

John Condren is a marketing guy, not an engineer.  He may be a car nut too like the rest of us.  I have read posts that clearly showed he did not understand all the structural aspects of the roll cage yet he is supposed to determine what is safe.

The Integra that won the Chump race at TMS is a cheater.  I know the guy that built it and I am aware of the guys that race it now and they drive like pricks.

The Nudists SHO is a hardcore cheating machine and they have brought in hardcore drivers too.  They and their Tilton oil pumps for coolers were endorsed by Chump at TMS.  The blew a few wheel bearings and lost a master cylinder.  Of course according to John Condren, stock brakes are adequate for what we are doing. 

Those are two cars in the Gulf Coast region that are fast and they drive like pricks and most competitors and staff know it.  They are also two of the few cars that have run into my car out of many 100+ car events.

There seem to be cars that are always in trouble and other cars that never are.  It isn't because the organizers or corner workers are biased.  It's due to the quality of the drivers.

Chump allows more contact and bad driving because John Condren feels that's okay.  That does not make it right.  They also don't have enough cars in their events to be real picky.

Regarding real racing and competition in Lemons.  We typically set some of the fastest laps times in the events we are in.  Our best finish however has been 3rd overall and first in class.

We led our last race at MSR for about the first 2.5 hours until our water pump belt snapped.  We made our fastest lap under 2 minutes in the first two hours while there were 100+ cars on the track.  We had a good driver in the car.  That was the fastest lap of the race well into Sunday.

We ran most of the day Saturday in the top 10 until our engine died yet we had Zero black flags.  Why?  We had good drivers.

The one black flag I have earned this year, was legit.  I went wheels off when the car I was trying to pass went wide out of the turn and I ran out of track.  I don't think they saw me but it was my responsibility to make a clean pass and I failed.  I told the Judges what happened, we did a quick driver change and they sent the car back out while I paid for my penalty.

The Judges an Organizers are far more aware of what is going on than you may realize.  Of course they notice you more when you earn frequent flier miles to the penalty box.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Why not have the instant replay rule? (sarcasm)
I've been hit from the rear and turned around at speed, I was angry too but that was only one flag.
If you had 3 then you need to reevaluate your drivers, Jay and the boys are fair unless you are an asshat first.

Xceler8x/jgorman,

I recommend at your next race (should you choose to attend one) that you sit in the judging area for a couple of hours and watch how they log black flags and what Phil and Jay do.  You'll come away impressed.

If all you want to do is race, then by all means go race ChumpCar.  It's oriented more towards "All I want to do is drive fast relatively cheaply".  Lemons is about taking a piece of crap and pushing at far as it will go.  Most Lemons races involve spending almost as much time fixing the car as racing it.

You may have found some bad luck with your black flags.  We average about 1 per race without counting flags for mechanical issues (they don't hold the mechanicals against you).  Good mirrors (and actually looking at them) are a big help.   The all fault policy is in place because the only training required is a valid drivers license and $50.  Some of the drivers out there don't even know what "line" and "apex" mean.  That means you need to leave room for them to screw up.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

I guess I'll chime in my .02 £

Something I'd like to see considered is to allow 1 penalty per driver (for lack of a better term) grace period instead of the just "4 and done".

Unfortunately, this would require a means of managing that.

Here's what I propose:

Every driver must wear a wristband: When the offending driver gets a BF, use a hole punch or a sharpie to mark that driver's wristband-- also record the BF on the car's BF total.

Park the whole team if the car is getting it's 4th BF in a day and it is the driver's 2nd, 3rd, or 4th offense (wrist band already punched from a previous BF).

If there are 5 paid/registered driver's on the team and the car is in for it's 4th BF of the day but it is the driver's first, then the car can go back out. It is then up to the team to self-police. The only driver on the team who should be allowed in the car at that point shouldn't have ANY BFs because if the car comes in for a 5th BF in the day and the driver behind the wheel is already punched, the car gets parked. But if the car comes in for a 5th BF and it is that particular driver's first (no hole punched) then the car can go back out. If the car comes in for it's 6th BF regardless of who is driving, it is parked (so # of registered drivers +1 BF or 2nd offense for the same driver after 4 BFs for the team.

Re-reading it seems a little complicated, but it isn't:

# of registered drivers +1 BF
or
4 BFs total and a single driver's second BF

whichever comes first.

Examples:

Team of 4 drivers: Parked at 5th BF period. Parked at 4th BF if it is the driver's second or 3rd offense (basically, the team should not have let that guy drive again until all of the other team members had a stint-- if they let him go out after 2 BFs and he /she gets a 3rd, then they deserve to be parked).

Team of 5 drivers: Parked at 6th BF period. Parked at the 4th if it is a driver's 2nd or 3rd offense (again, why the hell would you let him back in your car after his 1st offense and others haven't drive yet?)

Team of 6 drivers: Parked at 7th BF period. Parked at 4th if it is a driver's 2nd or 3rd offense (and again, why the hell would you let him back in after his 1st offense when others haven't yet driven).

Team of 7 or more drivers: Same as for Team of 6 above. Why? Because to register more than 6 drivers you need special permission, so beyond 6 drivers you are already treading in undesired territory. And if you are just letting drivers not registered to your team out in your car to avoid getting it parked, this will also help catch you and park your car.

Penalty box goes like this:
Car drives in, judge calls out car #, table announces offense and # of flags for the car. Judge checks wristband for previous marks/punches. If the driver has no punch, Judge punches or marks wristband (punch of marker on chain around neck). If driver has a previous punch, Judge announces repeat offender and confirms # of BFs with table announces. Table checks the cheat sheet (examples above) and says whether or not car should be parked. Only database change is the table at the BF area will need to record the # of registered drivers along side the car #.

Spank wrote:

I guess I'll chime in my .02 £

Something I'd like to see considered is to allow 1 penalty per driver (for lack of a better term) grace period instead of the just "4 and done".

Unfortunately, this would require a means of managing that.

Here's what I propose:

Every driver must wear a wristband: When the offending driver gets a BF, use a hole punch or a sharpie to mark that driver's wristband-- also record the BF on the car's BF total.

Park the whole team if the car is getting it's 4th BF in a day and it is the driver's 2nd, 3rd, or 4th offense (wrist band already punched from a previous BF).

If there are 5 paid/registered driver's on the team and the car is in for it's 4th BF of the day but it is the driver's first, then the car can go back out. It is then up to the team to self-police. The only driver on the team who should be allowed in the car at that point shouldn't have ANY BFs because if the car comes in for a 5th BF in the day and the driver behind the wheel is already punched, the car gets parked. But if the car comes in for a 5th BF and it is that particular driver's first (no hole punched) then the car can go back out. If the car comes in for it's 6th BF regardless of who is driving, it is parked (so # of registered drivers +1 BF or 2nd offense for the same driver after 4 BFs for the team.

Re-reading it seems a little complicated, but it isn't:

# of registered drivers +1 BF
or
4 BFs total and a single driver's second BF

whichever comes first.

Examples:

Team of 4 drivers: Parked at 5th BF period. Parked at 4th BF if it is the driver's second or 3rd offense (basically, the team should not have let that guy drive again until all of the other team members had a stint-- if they let him go out after 2 BFs and he /she gets a 3rd, then they deserve to be parked).

Team of 5 drivers: Parked at 6th BF period. Parked at the 4th if it is a driver's 2nd or 3rd offense (again, why the hell would you let him back in your car after his 1st offense and others haven't drive yet?)

Team of 6 drivers: Parked at 7th BF period. Parked at 4th if it is a driver's 2nd or 3rd offense (and again, why the hell would you let him back in after his 1st offense when others haven't yet driven).

Team of 7 or more drivers: Same as for Team of 6 above. Why? Because to register more than 6 drivers you need special permission, so beyond 6 drivers you are already treading in undesired territory. And if you are just letting drivers not registered to your team out in your car to avoid getting it parked, this will also help catch you and park your car.

Penalty box goes like this:
Car drives in, judge calls out car #, table announces offense and # of flags for the car. Judge checks wristband for previous marks/punches. If the driver has no punch, Judge punches or marks wristband (punch of marker on chain around neck). If driver has a previous punch, Judge announces repeat offender and confirms # of BFs with table announces. Table checks the cheat sheet (examples above) and says whether or not car should be parked. Only database change is the table at the BF area will need to record the # of registered drivers along side the car #.

probably a good idea but it loses me at "teams need to self-police"

on Sunday at CMP i listened to race control attempt to bring in a crimson civic with black flags waved in turns 11, 14 and start/ finish to no avail.

the civic went around for at least 6 laps before he came in to the pits.  the corner workers kept saying the dude never even looked their way.  obviously a bone head behind the wheel.

so after serving the penalty the car made about three laps before coming into the hot pit for a driver change.  i assume it was the bone head that got back in the car.  hard to tell as they were sharing one helmet and neck collar.

this team as a whole should suffer the penalty as they are obviously not too concerned with the rules.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Spank, I think that's a pretty good idea. It might need some massaging to make it easier to manage in the penalty box, but fundamentally it's probably more fair, especially since at 3 BF's on Saturday most teams are going to park it so that they can hit the track again for a full day on Sunday.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

rmcdaniels wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

The only words out of your mouth when you come in for BF should be "Im sorry, it wont happen again" if you try to make your case, no matter how politely you do it, they will come down on you, always has been, always will be.

This is a good point, and we've drilled it into our drivers.

It's written on our dashboard, lest they forget.

While Spank has put alot of good thought into the idea it is as one person noted a bit to manage.

Also, back to my point, you gotta sell the idea to the insurance man.  There are plenty of teams getting through with 0 or 1 flag so its not like this is an impossible task.

our team only had one really experienced driver, 2 whidh had seen a track and 3 which had never been on a track.  We managed 1 black flag for 4 off by one of the experienced drivers who admitted he was pushing the car too hard to test its limits.  You dont need to find the limits of the car in an endurance race.  He manned up, pitted before the flags even flew and immediately said to the judges "Im sorry, I f-ked up, it wont happen again"  and on his way he was sent.  Easy peasy.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Troy wrote:

I would hate to see this post get deleted.

I can not recall a controversial discussion getting deleted from the Lemons forum.  I think it kind of adds some integrity.

I had a post from the Chump forum deleted which very factually stated information about John Condren the founder. 

He formed Chump to cash in on Crap Cans, not to offer a better service to the community than Lemons.

John Condren is a marketing guy, not an engineer.  He may be a car nut too like the rest of us.  I have read posts that clearly showed he did not understand all the structural aspects of the roll cage yet he is supposed to determine what is safe.

The Integra that won the Chump race at TMS is a cheater.  I know the guy that built it and I am aware of the guys that race it now and they drive like pricks.

The Nudists SHO is a hardcore cheating machine and they have brought in hardcore drivers too.  They and their Tilton oil pumps for coolers were endorsed by Chump at TMS.  The blew a few wheel bearings and lost a master cylinder.  Of course according to John Condren, stock brakes are adequate for what we are doing. 

Those are two cars in the Gulf Coast region that are fast and they drive like pricks and most competitors and staff know it.  They are also two of the few cars that have run into my car out of many 100+ car events.

There seem to be cars that are always in trouble and other cars that never are.  It isn't because the organizers or corner workers are biased.  It's due to the quality of the drivers.

Chump allows more contact and bad driving because John Condren feels that's okay.  That does not make it right.  They also don't have enough cars in their events to be real picky.

Regarding real racing and competition in Lemons.  We typically set some of the fastest laps times in the events we are in.  Our best finish however has been 3rd overall and first in class.

We led our last race at MSR for about the first 2.5 hours until our water pump belt snapped.  We made our fastest lap under 2 minutes in the first two hours while there were 100+ cars on the track.  We had a good driver in the car.  That was the fastest lap of the race well into Sunday.

We ran most of the day Saturday in the top 10 until our engine died yet we had Zero black flags.  Why?  We had good drivers.

The one black flag I have earned this year, was legit.  I went wheels off when the car I was trying to pass went wide out of the turn and I ran out of track.  I don't think they saw me but it was my responsibility to make a clean pass and I failed.  I told the Judges what happened, we did a quick driver change and they sent the car back out while I paid for my penalty.

The Judges an Organizers are far more aware of what is going on than you may realize.  Of course they notice you more when you earn frequent flier miles to the penalty box.

Troy, have you run an event with Chumpcar? If not you may want to educate yourself a little before printing this crap. And as for cheating....  what no cheating in Lemon's??? Please,

If foaming occurs, pull relief.

jgorman wrote:

Troy, have you run an event with Chumpcar? If not you may want to educate yourself a little before printing this crap. And as for cheating....  what no cheating in Lemon's??? Please,

Troy has not said anything that has not been said and documented many other places.  Including the Chump board, but they dont mind deleting a post rather than face the controversy.

As far as cheating, it exists in all forms of racing at all levels.  The real "sport" in racing is not getting caught at cheating.  Lemons at least has some fun with it. 

I have lots of friends who have run Chumpcar and enjoyed it, based on all their personal accounts it's not for me.  They are different series' based on a similar idea, one focused on fun, one focused on "real racing"  Choose your poison, do both if it suits you.  But please, review rule 2.4 before posting again.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Xceler8x wrote:
RobL wrote:

We are the same guys and we wear that roll with pride.  We are on our 11th race and about 20th car entry.  We have also volunteered at a race  and do know Jay and Co. personally having hung out with them with dinner and drinks a few times.

So you have to kiss more arse to get a fair shake? By taking the crew out to dinner and drinks to get a fair shake? Should you really have to do that to be allowed to run after paying your half a $k?
I think that's crap.

Maybe what you meant is they're nice guys if you get to know them? If so, I'm sure they are. But the BF situation is pretty stupid when you pack 130 cars on a track the size of CMP. Hence the title of this thread. It comes across as greed first, racing run second. Everyone gets a bit testy when they don't feel like they're getting what they paid for.

Wow, that's a stretch.  I don't see where I said that we paid for anything.  I said that we hung out with them over dinner and drinks.  I wasn't paying attention to how they paid, but my team was completely "Dutch" and we paid for our own food and beer. 

Jonny actually takes a perverse pleasure in punishing his friends more than strangers.  And from everything that I've seen we're treated exactly the same as everyone else. 

If you can't play well in a croud, don't come to Lemons.  This isn't a 15 car sprint race. 

So your team paid $1000 and gets 14+ hours of track time (if you play by the stated rules) and you don't think that's a good deal???  Where else can you pay ~$70/hour for track time?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Just my 2 cents on a couple things....

This guy is complaining about CMP?  Try Stafford where we have almost as many cars on a 1/2 mile(?) bullring.  Its like doing an interpretative dance out there trying to keep your nose clean!  My team is of generally level headed guys but a couple of us (me included) are a bit too aggressive out there, and we get called on it.  Does it piss me off? yes.  But we know that was the name of the game coming in.  Hell last event the largest reason we were parked is cause we got hit, twice!  But whatever so were the other guys, and we wouldn't have been parked if I hadn't gotten 4 wheels off earlier and a couple of my other drivers hadn't done a few loop-de-loops.  Read the rule book its all spelled out in there, pay attention at the drivers meeting they will explain it. We spent enough time hanging by the penalty box (because it was entertaining to watch) to see they screw everyone equally, especially their friends who they expect to know better. 

Now lashing out at other teams and calling them kiss asses or questioning their driving... really???  Admittedly I am taking this a bit personally because I know the team in question and they are friends of ours and helped us a lot in our first year doing this, but thats pretty damn rude.  You don't like it you stated your case.  Apparently 99 other teams were fine with it because you don't have a bunch of backers showing up here for you.

Here, take your ball, door is to the left.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

JThw8 wrote:
jgorman wrote:

Troy has not said anything that has not been said and documented many other places.  Including the Chump board, but they dont mind deleting a post rather than face the controversy.

As far as cheating, it exists in all forms of racing at all levels.  The real "sport" in racing is not getting caught at cheating.  Lemons at least has some fun with it. 

I have lots of friends who have run Chumpcar and enjoyed it, based on all their personal accounts it's not for me.  They are different series' based on a similar idea, one focused on fun, one focused on "real racing"  Choose your poison, do both if it suits you.  But please, review rule 2.4 before posting again.

Don't get me wrong, I just think that if you are going to trash the other series, and make PERSONAL attacks on someone, that you should have more than just heresay to go on.  Lemon's has been fun for us, had some great times, minimul BF's that we deserved, but the inconsistancy of the rules, and lack of a two sided debate, have ruined it for us. The series has changed and we're not changing with it, that's all.

If foaming occurs, pull relief.

41 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-09-28 10:17 AM)

you're certainly entitled to your opinion.  if the series has changed, IMO it's been for the better (except for the fender rule!).  i wouldn't be interested in the old-style demo derby.  and as far as i can tell, every change has been driven by safety concerns, which generally arise b/c of bad driving.

RobL wrote:

Jonny actually takes a perverse pleasure in punishing his friends more than strangers.  And from everything that I've seen we're treated exactly the same as everyone else. 

If you can't play well in a croud, don't come to Lemons.  This isn't a 15 car sprint race.

yep.  and they will park teams they really like just as quickly as teams they don't know from Adam, or teams that are a constant PITA.

and having worked in the penalty box for a race, i know that they generally try to be fair with the penalties.  if it really wasn't your fault and they know it (from being told by a corner worker) they will usually take it easy on you as long as you're not an indignant d-bag.  the BF still coutns, but let's be honest...no one's luck is bad enough that they get 3 or 4 truly undeserved BFs in a weekend.  if you keep finding yourself in a bad position, you should reevaluate your driving b/c you're not playing enough defense.

as far as self-policing...that should take care of it without needing to worry about "penalties per driver."  i have known teams that yanked a guy out of the car b/c he kept getting flagged.

i do my best to not get flagged b/c i know that getting pulled in is letting my teammates down (in fact, our MR2 came back from Summit with "we are letting Rob down" written all over it).

everyone knows the rules going in.  if you disagree with them, feel free to run ChumpCar or start your own race series.  last time i checked, you're in the minority...the current formula seems to be working just fine for a whole lot of people.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Spank wrote:

I guess I'll chime in my .02 £ (long, complicated scheme follows)]

It's hard enough for us to keep track of car numbers. No way in hell are we going to keep track of individual driver offenses. Every member of every team is responsible for his or her team members' behavior, period.

Other things that never work in the Penalty Box:

1. Setting up the discussion so that your personal honor is at stake (e.g., "Are you saying I'm a liar? I'm an honest man, just ask anyone!"). Things always go downhill fast from this point.

2. Pointing to a dent on the car and claiming it "proves" that your driver was not at fault.

3. Claiming that (other team) is getting away with repeated offenses and not getting flagged, with the heavy implication being that this team has paid off the corner workers. Actually, paying off the corner workers might be a sound strategy, but do you think they'd tell us about it?

4. Picking out some other team with a similar car number or paint color and claiming you're getting zapped for their bad behavior. Do this enough times and we'll make you repaint your car and/or change your number, and we'll make it take a long time.

jgorman wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
jgorman wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I just think that if you are going to trash the other series, and make PERSONAL attacks on someone, that you should have more than just heresay to go on.  Lemon's has been fun for us, had some great times, minimul BF's that we deserved, but the inconsistancy of the rules, and lack of a two sided debate, have ruined it for us. The series has changed and we're not changing with it, that's all.

The personal items about Mr Condren are pretty well established in news articles, not just hearsay.  If you are unaware of his past and suspect dealings I would suggest you do some searching.

Also, as I stated, most of my opinions about chumpcar are based upon hearsay from people who like the series.  All the things they like about the series are what turns me off of it.

Im not sure I understand your point about inconsistency of the rules.  The rules have always been this way.  The only inconsistency is that *this* time apparently they didn't work in your favor.  But in the realm of black flagging there have been no changes in the rules in a long time.

Which lack of a 2 sided debate are you lamenting?  The 2 sided debate that we are having right now (which would have long ago been deleted on the chumpcar forum)?  Or do you mean that you cannot have a debate about your penalties?  Again 2.4 has been in play since the beginning, its not new, its not inconsistent.  Man up, take the penalty, drive smarter.

The only thing that has changed about the series is that it has grown, so much so that it has inspired others to copy its successes.  But the rules have remained fairly static (save for cage rules).  The accepted practices have always been the same.  And for the most part the people, although the names and faces may change, are always of the same sort, good people, there to help and have fun.

Having just run a Chump event this weekend (sorry, it was a 3-hour drive vs. a 9-hour drive... and it was Sebring... I LOVE Sebring!), my second Chump event (sorry again, but they're doing races in FL), I can chime in a little bit.

First, yeah, they are a LOT more liberal with the black flags.  You generally don't get one unless you really earn it.  They'll flag for passing under yellow, but otherwise, you have to make a REALLY boneheaded move, or habitually make the same mistake to get flagged.  To use myself as an example, I was passing people two-wheels off on the inside (and occasionally the outside) all day long.  It was just a modified line that I took in a few places to give me an edge to get around people... and occasionally, it was just me maneuvering around a driver that was getting loose at the last second.  FWIW, I drove EXACTLY the same way at the Lemons race at Nelson Ledges and never got flagged for it there, either.  I think the Lemons black flag for two off is a fairly new thing.

At the Chump race, I even drove 4 off once (nudged off track by a Crown Vic), spun once, and blew a braking zone and drove off-course (stayed on pavement, but went between some cones marking no-mans land) once, all without being flagged.  I have to say that I DO like the way the Chump races are flagged.  However, the Chump races that I've done have had 12 cars and 35 cars.  THINGS ARE DIFFERENT when there are 90+ cars on a race track!  I believe Lemons has to be more strict to avoid complete chaos... and they've learned that from experience.

But, to say that Chump is any more "consistent" or "fair" in any other way is a false statement.  They do things a little differently, but trust me, there are plenty of faults with their system, too.  Just TRY to make sense of their logic behind who gets penalty laps and who gets bonus laps, I dare you!

Bottom line is that it's all crap-can racing, it's all fun... and the organizers of both series invariably do a great job of letting you know what's expected of you at their driver's meetings and in their rules.  If something is not clear to you, just ask and it will be clarified.  Do what they expect you to do on the race track and you'll stay on the race track until your car blows up.  Violate their rules or expectations and you'll get flagged.  BITCH about getting flagged and you'll sit out even longer than you would have otherwise.  Pretty sure that goes for any race series, yelling at the chief steward is never a good idea if you want to get back into his race.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I think its funny that all the best posts for leaving it the way it is come from the
north east guys (fuggetaboutit).
Myself included!!!!!

We only get two races a year.

Manny.
Elmo's revenge.

NY all the way!

jgorman wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I just think that if you are going to trash the other series, and make PERSONAL attacks on someone, that you should have more than just heresay to go on.

It's far more than hearsay at this point regarding Condren. You may not have been around when this was discussed before, but it's a long story. If you want to know the facts, google "john condren riverside motorsports park" and read everything in the Merced newspaper from the start of the project until it was foreclosed upon, the outrageous promises that were made and not kept, and the dozens of folks who extended hundreds of thousands of dollars in credit to the project who got stiffed in the end. Make sure to follow the rabbit trail about the deceit in the resume submitted to folks funding the development, the kind of thing that if federal funds were involved could have resulted in federal charges (just ask Henry Cisneros how that works). I'm not trying to be a downer here, but there's a lot of history and this isn't the thread for it. But Troy's right.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Awesome thread! In a perfect world I'd have that Johnson Boy's seat over in that stupid NASCRAP series.....
But since I don't, I'll whine as I pat almost everyone on the back.
Paricularly Spank and that Gorman dude who started this.
Why?
Straight up as to how they felt, and offered solutions/suggestions!
This was my 1st experience with this event - I loved it. The people, and the poor organizers of the thing were awesome.
I despised the litany of BF's. Cause, it will influence how I direct my funds next time.
The cheatin' was creative as well as hilarious.

You put 100+ cars on that track, contact, offs, etc. gonna happen. I got BF'd twice, once for an off cause I chose not to crush the clueless bozos who were determined to fold space & time in POS race cars (in the 1st hour?). 2nd time, because rubbin' is racin' and in the crowded bathtub that was CMP on Sunday - two of us shared a wash cloth....and .... OOPS!
But, they did miss it when I really did FUP! (to fast, too furious.... damn, brain poop!)
So, did it even out?
How bout all the Kyle Bush wannabees out there, how'd yer race go?

I completely agree some effort needs to be made to improve the situation. The volume of cars on track, substantially eaxcerbated by the natural disparity in car performance ("crap can", a broad series spec, eh?), then damn it all by a factor of x10 for driver talent/skill/experience, and it is all going to lead to some contact and offs of one variety or another. With that situation cumulative penalties against teams can only be subjective, and in the end, unfair & disappointing.

Spank's suggestion is good - and how about some variation of a series of long heat races to cut down on number of cars on track at a time? I'm involved as an organizer of HPDE's and open track days, and this can be managed - but in the end.... act a fool, get the fool treatment! On the other hand, many time on a race track, the right choice is to do a little landscaping, and that should not be cause for "a penalty", but it does deserve a trip to the paddock for inspection, explantion and to help you get your focus back (or determine if you even had one to begin with).

Those not spewing venom at the starter of this thread and indiciting "the other series" were likely the racers over the weekend [it is a "race" right?] the rest of the contributors, well.... were you guys scooter racing Sat. night  ?  C'mon, fess up?

As for the greed part, do you think issuing an Aston Martin Lagonda, with free repairs as needed, to every Lemons HQ staffer has been cheap? Sure, it may look like Jay drives a 10-year-old Volvo wagon, but that's just until the Lagondas get back from the shop. Again.

I'm sorry you feel we were spewing venom at the original poster, but ya gotta admit, ya come into someone's sandbox bitching about its condition and extolling the virtues of the box next door and you're gonna get a bit of backlash.

That said, I have done my best to keep this on the topic and removed the personal attacks against posters from both sides.  It is an open discussion, feel free to come up with ideas.  Spank had a good idea but it would need much more flushing out to be workable.

My daddy always said dont come complainin about what's broke if you dont have an idea how to fix it.  The OP did just that.  Not throwing the flag isnt how to fix it.

You want less folks on the track, cool, but when they put the cutoff at 75 cars and you're team #76 how will you feel?

Heat races?  Most folks are in this for maximum track time so I dont think that idea will float.  Im not belittling your idea, at least you came with one.  Just trying to point out the realities.

And the final reality as I stated before, Jay and Company only control this as far as the insurnace man allows it.  Maybe other series have different insurance, or maybe they are willing to risk that insurance by looking the other way.  I'm glad Jay chooses not to put it on the line becuase if he looses that policy none of us are racing.