Re: GREED IS GOOD?

You all want to know what?  Both series have their faults.  The person who started this thread is quite the racer and a killer guy, and almost always brings multiple cars to quite a few events in both Lemons and Chump in the south.  If you have pissed him off, you have done something.  I for one am glad he is going to run nothing more than ChumpCar races.  The competition is a whole lot better over there anyway. 

Who in the F wants to eat some stupid crap because someone else ran them off of the track?  While both of these series have their similarities, they are very different.  I have never understood the appeal of running on a track with that many cars in the first place.  Way too many, and yes, the black flags effectively keep some off the track at all times and I have never been able to figure those out.  Just adds to the spectacle I guess. Bottom line is both series can work together and actually benefit from one another rather than working against one another.  I have been in both races multiple times and I will pay my hommage to ChumpCar forever as well.  I like real racing on the cheap, not sitting static in the pits watching my money go down the drain.  Someone asked where else can you go and race for that cheap, come right on over to ChumpCar, we would be glad to have you.  Promise you won't be disappointed.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

JThw8 wrote:

Hey, guess what? no wrecks, noone going 2 or 4 off to "avoid a wreck"   You avoid the wreck by giving up the space early on.

This is something I don't agree with 100%.  For a little background I'm not a whiner, club racer, or a Lemons noob.  This past race at CMP was my 5th Lemons event and (knock on wood) I have yet to get a BF, so I'm not sore about being 'done wrong' so to speak.  However I have seen quite a few situations where going four-off would be the wise thing to do and a BF not be issued.  I have video from the May CMP race where the Batmobile Saturn spun in the middle of turn one right in front of me and it was all I could do to avoid tee-boning him w/o going off.  Yes, I did manage to avoid him, w/o going off, but given the choice I would have hit the dirt as a first choice.  We were in 2nd place at the time so I didn't want a BF to screw it up and I took a chance and stayed on...luckily.  I will have to say I was happy to see the OLPDF Civic NOT get a BF on this past Sunday when they went four-off after T14 to avoid two cars who spun on the straight at a higher speed.  Clearly going off for them was a safer route for all involved, IOW, no harm, no foul was the call, and the right one. 

Translation...I don't think you should make blanket statement that one should NEVER be four or two wheels off w/o a penalty.  Sometimes circumstances beyond your control dictate otherwise.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

JThw8 wrote:
jgorman wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Troy has not said anything that has not been said and documented many other places.  Including the Chump board, but they dont mind deleting a post rather than face the controversy.

As far as cheating, it exists in all forms of racing at all levels.  The real "sport" in racing is not getting caught at cheating.  Lemons at least has some fun with it. 

I have lots of friends who have run Chumpcar and enjoyed it, based on all their personal accounts it's not for me.  They are different series' based on a similar idea, one focused on fun, one focused on "real racing"  Choose your poison, do both if it suits you.  But please, review rule 2.4 before posting again.

Don't get me wrong, I just think that if you are going to trash the other series, and make PERSONAL attacks on someone, that you should have more than just heresay to go on.  Lemon's has been fun for us, had some great times, minimul BF's that we deserved, but the inconsistancy of the rules, and lack of a two sided debate, have ruined it for us. The series has changed and we're not changing with it, that's all.

The personal items about Mr Condren are pretty well established in news articles, not just hearsay.  If you are unaware of his past and suspect dealings I would suggest you do some searching.

Also, as I stated, most of my opinions about chumpcar are based upon hearsay from people who like the series.  All the things they like about the series are what turns me off of it.

Im not sure I understand your point about inconsistency of the rules.  The rules have always been this way.  The only inconsistency is that *this* time apparently they didn't work in your favor.  But in the realm of black flagging there have been no changes in the rules in a long time.

Which lack of a 2 sided debate are you lamenting?  The 2 sided debate that we are having right now (which would have long ago been deleted on the chumpcar forum)?  Or do you mean that you cannot have a debate about your penalties?  Again 2.4 has been in play since the beginning, its not new, its not inconsistent.  Man up, take the penalty, drive smarter.

The only thing that has changed about the series is that it has grown, so much so that it has inspired others to copy its successes.  But the rules have remained fairly static (save for cage rules).  The accepted practices have always been the same.  And for the most part the people, although the names and faces may change, are always of the same sort, good people, there to help and have fun.

JT, let's keep the other series out of it, it's clear that you are all sold on "lemon's is the best" even though you admit never have tried Chump. Also, I think it's great that we can have a two sided debate now, without just randomly deleting posts that don't please everyone. The 1 sided debated I am not happy with are in the penalty box, Getting hit from behind under a yellow flag, getting hit in the side, transponder falling off (I really liked that one) 2 off for avoiding a spin in front of us, that's the stuff I wish could be debated with more intelligence at the track. Yes I know that Jay and the gang hear every excuse in the book, but now it's just quilty, shut up and park it. As for inconsistancy of the rules, tell me how one year a team could have 8 black flags and still race? We got 3 and had to park. ?? You keep refering to rule 2.4.... this is a default value that's getting old, man up and stop useing it. You and I simply dissagree about the accepted practices, and that's just it, they are different for everyone.

If foaming occurs, pull relief.

Judge Phil wrote:

As for the greed part, do you think issuing an Aston Martin Lagonda, with free repairs as needed, to every Lemons HQ staffer has been cheap? Sure, it may look like Jay drives a 10-year-old Volvo wagon, but that's just until the Lagondas get back from the shop. Again.

Lagondas?  ouch.  you guys need to unionize.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

55 (edited by RobL 2010-09-28 11:39 AM)

Buzz Killington wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

As for the greed part, do you think issuing an Aston Martin Lagonda, with free repairs as needed, to every Lemons HQ staffer has been cheap? Sure, it may look like Jay drives a 10-year-old Volvo wagon, but that's just until the Lagondas get back from the shop. Again.

Lagondas?  ouch.  you guys need to unionize.

They would get paid more. wink

(Buzz and I are flaming each other on another forum on this topic)

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

56 (edited by Mulry 2010-09-28 11:43 AM)

jgorman wrote:

As for inconsistancy of the rules, tell me how one year a team could have 8 black flags and still race? We got 3 and had to park. ??

I see where you're coming from. I don't know that I'd call it inconsistent, but I can see where you would come to that conclusion. The rule has always been that 4 BF's and you're done, but they weren't really enforcing the rule as written since a lot of us are just crappy at "racing," especially in cars with blown struts, crapped out junkyard steering racks, etc. But sometime either way late in 2009 or very early in 2010, Jay decided that it was time to start enforcing the rule. I know that it was enforced that way at Sears Point in March and has been at every race I've attended this year. We parked our car on Saturday early in the afternoon at ECR, but it gave us the opportunity to align the car properly and we went out on Sunday and did the whole day without a BF.

If you look in the rules, the BF penalties are actually much, much stiffer than enforced in terms of how long the cars sit. For example, it's pretty rare these days for a first BF to result in a 30-minute embargo, but that's how the rule (6.2.1) is written.

Sorry you didn't have a great time last weekend. I always have, but I can see how frustrating this would have been too, especially if you feel that it wasn't your team's fault.

FWIW, I've got a sticker on our steering wheel that mandates what our drivers are first to say if/when they pull in for a penalty: "It was my fault!" Why? Because it's our fault for even participating in this ridonkulous piece of crap race. So not only is it true, but it usually buys some goodwill with the judiciary too. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We got three BFs in our first (and only) race at T'hill, and deserved them. We didn't really care if others were getting any, or many. We were just there to have fun and be a part of this.

And the point was made several times and seems to keep getting lost in the discussion, the corner workers throw the flags, not Jay and company.

Jay and company however give the corner workers direction on when to call the black flags.  I can promise you that they just don't do it out of the goodness of their heart.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

cpmskinny wrote:

Jay and company however give the corner workers direction on when to call the black flags.  I can promise you that they just don't do it out of the goodness of their heart.

What's your point here?  Are you saying that Jay gets on the radio - watch out for the orange clown car, I want them flagged for every little thing.

No - what happens is that a car gets on the radar of the corner workers and gets watched.  If you made an ill advised pass, a corner will call in and recommend that a car gets watched because they are being agressive.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

So all of these arguements here are invalid then right?  Corner workers call in the infraction then the RACE ORGANIZERS make the call whether the infraction receives a black flag or not.  How is it not Jay and company who make these decisions then? I can promise you it is not the corner workers.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Because Jay and crew don't see the infractions they made a blanket rule to make it FAIR for everyone.  They have to assume the corner workers provided by the track are competent.  And because they aren't watching they just have to take their word for the black flag call.  To make it fair every black flag is worth a certain mark, and a certain amount of flags gets you parked.  I don't know how it could be fairer unless the Lemons crew got in a helicopter and watched every car.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

You can complain or try to make it better.  Here's my suggestion...

Make it mandatory to put a Camera in the car  (they're cheap).  That way if you balk you can go to "appeals tent" where the rest of us can watch and laugh at you or the hooligan that forced you to put a wheel off the track.  I mean what a bonus for the teams that are already blown up, or lazy not doing their share.  Get a big screen TV with in car race footage of someone doing something incredibly stupid, and add in Jay with a professor of dumb ass diving hat.  If you are in the right go back out and drag the other bonehead in.  If not the judges could radio ahead a spill of doe piss in your car and you are on your way.  Now that sounds fair.

Also its probably a tax deduction to buy a 55 inch LCD TV for playback...
Use the video on the website under "last week's bone head offending black flagged few".  Watch the hits roll in!

cpmskinny wrote:

So all of these arguements here are invalid then right?  Corner workers call in the infraction then the RACE ORGANIZERS make the call whether the infraction receives a black flag or not.  How is it not Jay and company who make these decisions then? I can promise you it is not the corner workers.

Just like any referee in any sport, the corner workers have a lot of discretion regardless of what they're told by the race org, and especially in a race like Lemons (versus F1, for example). A lot of stuff that gets called/flagged early in the race gets a pass later in the race. The hand check that is a personal foul in the first quarter of a HS basketball game isn't a foul when the score is tied 83-83 and the clock winding down in the 4th quarter. That's just the nature of calling the game.

Also, if your car generally isn't driven like you're a bunch of d-bags, then you tend to get the benefit of the doubt (and I'm not implying anything here or pointing fingers), so when you do f-up, you might get away with it once or twice. Waving at the corner workers under yellow and generally being polite goes a long way, just like being polite to the ref in any other game tends to result in fewer fouls being called on you.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Make it mandatory to put a Camera in the car  (they're cheap).  That way if you balk you can go to "appeals tent" where the rest of us can watch and laugh at you or the hooligan that forced you to put a wheel off the track.

Imagine how long that could take?  If it saves you from getting parked it may be worth it to your team, but otherwise it would take longer than it's worth.  Now imagine that X 200 black flag calls and you get the picture of just how much of an undertaking it would be.

A word of note, buy or borrow a scanner and listen to the corner workers at the track if you can.  You'll learn a little bit about how some calls are made. Sometimes it either helpful, other times just interesting.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

cpmskinny wrote:

Nope - the corner workers see the infraction, call it in, and the black flag station gets the flag out for the car that gets called in.  Jay and company don't control anything until the car shows up in the black flag area.  The Lemons crew does not make a decision as to who gets flagged - only what penalty gets served.

The corner workers/track is working independantly with the only line of communication between the track and the black flag area is a chat session on two PCs between race control and where the cars come in to serve the flag.

cpmskinny wrote:

the typical radio traffic sounds something like this.............. corner worker: "control ? car 54 two off continued on"  race control: "station 11? black flag car 54"    or.........  corner worker: "control? contact car 54 & car 45"   race control: :corner 14? black flag car 54 & car 45"

so race control decides who is coming in.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Judge Phil wrote:

You get free repairs on yours?   whose di... ummm, how'd you get that deal...    Guess the greed struck the latter-day staffers....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

harddriveracing.com wrote:

You can complain or try to make it better.  Here's my suggestion...

Make it mandatory to put a Camera in the car  (they're cheap).  That way if you balk you can go to "appeals tent" where the rest of us can watch and laugh at you or the hooligan that forced you to put a wheel off the track.  I mean what a bonus for the teams that are already blown up, or lazy not doing their share.  Get a big screen TV with in car race footage of someone doing something incredibly stupid, and add in Jay with a professor of dumb ass diving hat.  If you are in the right go back out and drag the other bonehead in.  If not the judges could radio ahead a spill of doe piss in your car and you are on your way.  Now that sounds fair.

While working the penalty box at Stafford we had a team complain about a call that was made They asked if there was video replay in the booth and if so could we review it. We told them yes and that our crew was already working on getting the video recorder to rewind to the incident in question. Their car sat in the box for 20-30 minutes while we "reviewed" the incident...Ah, good times.

As has been pointed out ad nauseam...Jay "and crew" don't make the BF calls....they instruct the corner workers on _what_ to call, not when or who. Corner workers call in what they see. The calls that are being made (contact, 4O, 2O, PUY) are required, just like all the safety gear, by lawyers and insurance companies. Do you really think Jay gives a shit that you put 2O and created a tire mark on the grass? Eff no...he's more worried about keeping the Lagonda out of the repo man's hands.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

jgorman wrote:

The 1 sided debated I am not happy with are in the penalty box, Getting hit from behind under a yellow flag, getting hit in the side, transponder falling off (I really liked that one) 2 off for avoiding a spin in front of us, that's the stuff I wish could be debated with more intelligence at the track. Yes I know that Jay and the gang hear every excuse in the book, but now it's just quilty, shut up and park it.

There are exceptions, but most of the time it's one sided because the only accessible witnesses are the corner worker and the accused.  There's not really much room for debate when you have only one credible witness.

Maybe you're completely innocent and you've just got really bad luck, but generally there's plenty of blame to share with the "victim" of every black flag.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

70 (edited by RogueLeader 2010-09-28 12:39 PM)

st_rage wrote:
jgorman wrote:

The 1 sided debated I am not happy with are in the penalty box, Getting hit from behind under a yellow flag, getting hit in the side, transponder falling off (I really liked that one) 2 off for avoiding a spin in front of us, that's the stuff I wish could be debated with more intelligence at the track. Yes I know that Jay and the gang hear every excuse in the book, but now it's just quilty, shut up and park it.

There are exceptions, but most of the time it's one sided because the only accessible witnesses are the corner worker and the accused.  There's not really much room for debate when you have only one credible witness.

Maybe you're completely innocent and you've just got really bad luck, but generally there's plenty of blame to share with the "victim" of every black flag.

And by agreeing to the race and to enter and drive there you are agreeing to allow the corner workers to judge your on track incidents.  You are also agreeing to a modicum of confidence in their abilities, and unfortunately you just have to take them for whats there, you win some you lose some, they aren't all perfect.  If you don't like it don't agree to it and don't race.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

71 (edited by Mulry 2010-09-28 12:44 PM)

Video review would probably make this worse. Every time I watch our videos, I see tons of stuff that could have been flagged (us and the other drivers) but wasn't. Spins, offs, contact, general douchebaggery, etc. I'd hate to have a video review and wind up with the judges having more material against me than less. It's kind of like that saying about it being better to keep your mouth shut and appearing stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

The two races we ran this year were very different as far as BF were concerned.
Summit point had very few....The penalty box was empty for hours at times.
Stafford, on the other hand.... You had to wait in line to get your penalty.......
The number of cars at each was similar (90 ish)
But the size and technicallity of the tracks was the difference......
Stafford, 5/8 oval pinched into a road course.....
Summit point, highly technical 2 mile road course....

I guess what i'm saying is less cars and more driving = less Black Flags.....

Manny.
Elmo's revenge

73 (edited by Speedycop 2010-09-28 12:53 PM)

We got put out for the rest of Saturday because of bf's. Two were earned (new drivers went four off in T1), and the other was because someone the outside of me in the first hour in T1 didn't look to make sure it was clear. They skidded out, I didn't, so it was assumed I was at fault. I was flagged, they weren't. Kinda hard to have the driver own up when their car isn't brought in. It wasn't my first black flag. In 9 Lemons races, I've had about a half dozen or so, only one of which I earned (four off in T1 at CMP in Feb, driving at the limit and the brakes faded). When I pulled into the penalty box I shouted "I finally got a black flag I deserved!!!" Phil just laughed at me.

We had one other BF that was dismissed once Jay determined it was the fault of another car and unavoidable. This brings me to an important point, one I've made before: OWN YOUR MISTAKES. If you bump someone, or run them off track, own it. Lemons judges understand that no matter how defensively you drive, there are a lot of cars on track, and not always a lot of skilled/cautious drivers. Red mist is contagious, apparently, and not everyone understands the "endurance" part. We all make mistakes on track. Don't let some poor sap take a penalty because of what you've done.

I've raced Chump Car as well. I enjoyed not worrying about flags, but then with a few dozen cars on a two mile track, contact isn't as big a problem, and when the corner workers go home at dusk but the race goes on for 24 hours, you can't get flagged anyway. Jay's system is designed to discourage asshattery on track to the point where people are unwilling to risk being trailered. I never thought we'd be trailered, but it happened Saturday. Still, three hours off track after 3 black flags isn't the end of the world. You get to return the next day, and you aren't booted for good unless you reach four, or endanger lives. We were black flag free on Sunday, despite zero visibility (no windshield in a downpour) and a slightly faster car (rear gear swap). Was it due to the time-out, or was it just luck?

I say both. The new guys chilled a bit and drove cleanly, and the other cars seemed to be more behaved/less reckless. You can argue that both are a result of the BF system. I liked the trial Jay held in the penalty area. He determined fault by having both teams testify as to what happened and why. We need a volunteer jury for contact cases where both cars claim the other is at fault, just like in real life. Make the team requesting the Jury trial pay $50 towards the Lemons charity (refundable if they win the trial, of course). Let the jury render either a guilty verdict for either team (winning team goes back out immediately with black flag stricken from their record, other team does penalty, regardless of who paid the $50 and requested the trial), or a mistrial (both teams take penalty). That would be both fun and entertaining, beneficial to the team who didn't deserve the BF, and beneficial to the charity.

It IS tough to navigate a field of racers as large as CMP was (101 cars) this weekend without black flags. Even the winners had a couple. Maybe the two/four off rule can be modified to read "Except in obvious cases of avoiding contact". That would cut down on some of the "undeserved" flags. I'd rather see a car go off a few feet then see it hit/be hit by someone not racing cleanly.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I say its only a optional thing.  If you come in for a black flag and think you are wronged you can fight it and take the time to that..that's why it is called appeals.  If you know you did bad, take your punishment and walk around with some brake rotors around your neck...If you got screwed, roll it back and prove it.  At the very least it would be entertaining.  Beats getting parked wrongly.

The jury idea would be entertaining. I'd add this twist, sort of a variant on the loser-pays rule: if the team that calls for the jury loses, they still get only one BF on their Permanent Record, but they have to serve a double-penalty while the other team gets to go racing again immediately. Makes it a little higher stakes and thus a little more entertaining.