Topic: I got a new Welding setup...

So, me paying random fab dudes and shop class teachers is supposed to be over, Right?

Well, I lit my CC on fire this weekend and threw it at one of the local welding shops to outfit me with some proper MIG equipment. Here's what I wound up with;

Freshly wired up 220/230v welding outlet on a 40A breaker
Lincoln PowerMIG 180C (ooooo, diamond core technology, shiny!)
Fully Filled 125CF C-25 shielding gas cylinder
Lincoln VISTA1000 auto-darkening helmet
Gloves (weird that they gave me blue ones with everything being RED)
Ugly-ass Mint Green Welding jacket
11lb Spool of 0.030" Solid Wire
Spare gun tips

It was at this point that the card started to melt and I was unable to purchase a cart or some skills to go WITH all the cool shiny new equipment, so now I'm trying to line up a buddy to weld our 'fixed' backstays back in. I'll have noob welding vids thrown in with our little "Road to the 384Hours of Lemons" expose we're crappily recording as we go.

Re: I got a new Welding setup...

Awesome. One of our guys swears by Lincoln equipment because they pay their workers by the piece rather than on an hourly rate and they keep close track of which worker built which box by S/N. If/when a piece comes back for factory repair, the same worker has to fix it -- for free. Or something like that. So their rate of failure/repair is exceptionally low.

Look into trying to take a community college welding class if you can. I'm in one right now (well, on Sunday afternoons) and it's awesome. For me, I could watch all the videos in the world, but having an instructor there to show me in person and then help me correct the mistakes is a world of difference. And far less frustrating. Have fun!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

FYI, I rent my cylinders - $8/month/bottle.  The guy I rent from also let's me borrow one for the weekend when I have a project, like a rollcage.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Agree re. Lincoln equipment. Never had an issue, including some demanding in-plant use....built lots of cages before MIG with my AC225 "cathedral" stick welder. Great unit.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

So you bought all this equipment BEFORE you learned how to weld?  X2, on taking a CC class to learn first.  It takes practice to get good, but having proper instruction goes a LONG way.  Besides you get to burn up all their wire (at achool) and use all their metal for basically free.  I spent $60 on a 12 week class and it was the best $60 I have ever spent.

Having good equipment will help a ton (I have Lincoln stuff too) but don't fool yourself into thinking you can teach yourself how to weld.  Anyone can 'stick two pieces of metal together' with a MIG, which is not to be confused with just anyone can 'weld' two pieces together.  I'm sure Rob can attest to some of the horrible welding we have seen at some events.

What was the finally tally on all that stuff if you don't mind me asking?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

I'm sure Rob can attest to some of the horrible welding we have seen at some events.

Yeah...  I'm surprised that some of that stuff was standing on it's own and hadn't fallen apart on it's way to tech.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Anyone can 'stick two pieces of metal together' with a MIG, which is not to be confused with just anyone can 'weld' two pieces together.

+1
Give me some 6011 rod and something to stick together and I'll fire up the cracker box and get it done. But when it came time to do our rollcage, I called my welding instructor and paid him to weld it.

Yeah. I jumped in Head-Long to get the welding equipment. My dad's a certified Arc Welder from about 40 years ago, so he's good to tap for pointers. Also a Friend's brother is certified pipe all position/all technique, and I'm trying to get him on a free night for some cage work/practice help. I learn best by doing, and I wanted to buy something better than a cheapo Harbor Frieght deal that I could keep using as i grew in experience. It's a very nice setup, and more than i need in many respects. I went ahead and bought a used 125CF cylinder from an equipment service shop. Originally i was going to get an 80 but the guy told me he could get me the 125 for $25 more. Someone was asking for a price-out list, so here goes:

Used 125CF tank = $175
Lincoln PM180C = $764[currently has a $75 rebate] (actually was looking at a HH187 for $650 but the Lincoln had all Tweco connectors so it left open more upgradability like a spool gun w/o an extra controller or a nicer gun)
11lb spool of 0.030" wire = $27
Gloves = $8
Lincoln Vista1000 Auto-darkening helmet = $95 (does 9-12 shade adjust plus brackets for the larger auto-dark lenses.)
Chintzy ugly green Welding jacket = $22

after taxes this all came in @ under $1200. If i rented the tank, got the Hobart starter pack (gloves & helmet for $35) and went with the Hobart Handler 187 I could have saved around $300-$350 up front, but then if i wanted to goto the auto-dark helmet and try my hand with aluminum in, oh, a year or so? I'd spend more than the upfront cost difference to make it happen. owning a used tank just gives me one les bill to think about.

Classes are on the agenda but for now I've been camping Youtube for instructional videos.  It's kinda funny because most of the stuff I already knew before youtube even exsisted.

Thanks dad. smile

Serj wrote:

Yeah. I jumped in Head-Long to get the welding equipment. My dad's a certified Arc Welder from about 40 years ago, so he's good to tap for pointers. Also a Friend's brother is certified pipe all position/all technique, and I'm trying to get him on a free night for some cage work/practice help. I learn best by doing, and I wanted to buy something better than a cheapo Harbor Frieght deal that I could keep using as i grew in experience. It's a very nice setup, and more than i need in many respects. I went ahead and bought a used 125CF cylinder from an equipment service shop. Originally i was going to get an 80 but the guy told me he could get me the 125 for $25 more. Someone was asking for a price-out list, so here goes:

Used 125CF tank = $175
Lincoln PM180C = $764[currently has a $75 rebate] (actually was looking at a HH187 for $650 but the Lincoln had all Tweco connectors so it left open more upgradability like a spool gun w/o an extra controller or a nicer gun)
Gloves = $8
Lincoln Vista1000 Auto-darkening helmet = $95 (does 9-12 shade adjust plus brackets for the larger auto-dark lenses.)

after taxes this all came in @ under $1200. If i rented the tank, got the Hobart starter pack (gloves & helmet for $35) and went with the Hobart Handler 187 I could have saved around $300-$350 up front, but then if i wanted to goto the auto-dark helmet and try my hand with aluminum in, oh, a year or so? I'd spend more than the upfront cost difference to make it happen. owning a used tank just gives me one les bill to think about.

Classes are on the agenda but for now I've been camping Youtube for instructional videos.  It's kinda funny because most of the stuff I already knew before youtube even exsisted.

Thanks dad. smile

Isn't that mig kind of on the low end of amperage? You want to make sure you have a dedicated circuit for that with no or at least short/heavy duty extension cord, or your power output may be too low. Before you weld on your car, cut up some tube sections and weld them together.  Then cut them in half and see how your welds penetrated (they call 'em "coupons"). MOST of the pictures I see of welding on this forum are pretty bad, with too fast a gun speed, and low penetration, not to mention voids and occlusions. I used to MIG weld professionally, and have a nice Miller Tig welder now, but still want some professional supervision before I do my own cage - Maybe we should experiment on the lex wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Serj wrote:

Used 125CF tank = $175
Gloves = $8

Thanks dad. smile

Sounds like a decnt price for what you have.  FYI, everyone learns to weld by 'doing', but you can learn to do it wrong as well. smile

Captain

Spinnetti wrote:

Isn't that mig kind of on the low end of amperage? You want to make sure you have a dedicated circuit for that with no or at least short/heavy duty extension cord, or your power output may be too low.

180 amp should be enough for .095 or .120 tubing.  If you have to use an extension cord, use a thick one like 8 ga. or so.

I did a lot of looking on welding forums about output and different features and duty cycles. I was really vying for an MM212 and was going to be getting a screaming deal on one...until that deal disappeared. still kicking myself on that one!

From what I've read, a 180A unit should be right in their rated duty cycle range for 1/8" thick tubing (.125") since our cage is .120" thick I don't see any problem welding on it with a unit rated for 3/16" (.375") material in a single pass. I actually cracked open the electric box in the garage, and ran a 6Ga. lead to a welding socket on the wall with a 40A dual-pole breaker. Right now I'm wishing i had an extension cable but no time now. maybe sometime after we get back from Gingerman...or Chicago...

The output is great. I have some scrap .120 tubing to tinker with and I actually started melting the tube steel. I'm probably moving too slow but I want to move slower and more methodically than the "recommended" settings the chart provides for (at least for my skill level)

Serj wrote:

a 180A unit should be right in their rated duty cycle range for 1/8" thick tubing (.125") since our cage is .120" thick I don't see any problem welding on it with a unit rated for 3/16" (.375") material in a single pass.

I hope your welding is better than your math skills there Serj.  0.375" = 3/8", not 3/16". wink /smartass mode

Captain

14 (edited by RobL 2010-10-07 05:43 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:
Serj wrote:

a 180A unit should be right in their rated duty cycle range for 1/8" thick tubing (.125") since our cage is .120" thick I don't see any problem welding on it with a unit rated for 3/16" (.375") material in a single pass.

I hope your welding is better than your math skills there Serj.

I know Serj and nothing is better than his math skills.

RobL wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
Serj wrote:

I hope your welding is better than your math skills there Serj.

I know Serj and nothing is better than his math skills.

ouch! hey just because I'm a Viking and can Cook Epic Dead Thing doesn't mean you have to take pot shots at my higher reasoning skills! I mean, after all, we all are VOLUNTARILY doing this race series!

I have no time right now Otherwise I'd post some video.

Any hints for welding in spreader plates that doesn't involve putting more holes in the Unibody?

16 (edited by VKZ24 2010-10-07 01:10 PM)

Serj wrote:

Any hints for welding in spreader plates that doesn't involve putting more holes in the Unibody?

Well you have already said (IIRC) you have your Dad and another qualified welder, so I'll just say this.  Generally speaking (IMO, but Rob may disagree) the the thinner the metal (i.e. unibody car) the more difficult the welding.  Throw in welding a 3/16" (that's 0.1875" for you Serj wink) to a thin gauge sheet metal and you have even greater difficulty.  That said, of course it can be done, but it takes practice to weld thick-to-thin.  The machine has to be set to penetrate the thicker metal, but the trick is to focus the right amout of heat on the thick rather than the thin otherwise you'll blow right through the thinner stuff.  I'll wager nobody got it right on their first attempt.

I do have one other tip though...get rid of ALL the sealer, primer, paint, undercoating, etc. in the area you are going to weld.  Grind it off until you see shiny metal.  Ask anyone who's struck and arc on the infamous BMW primer and they will tell you it burns like gasoline.  The undercoating (opposite of where you are welding) will catch fire too and give off some toxic fumes.

There are several other things to avoid you won't know unless you are taught as well.  I'm not pulling your chain about your real need to attend a class.  Rob is pretty knowledgeable so I'll let him tell you about dangers such as phosgene gas and other stuff that can KILL YOU when welding.

Seriously man, be careful and make sure you know what you are doing.

-Sincerly
  Dad

Captain

my best advice for any form of welding with any metal is: the cleaner the better, and fit-up as tight as possible before welding.

Every metal has a different cleaning method. Steel is OK with grinding. Aluminum requires an acetone bath. Iron is almost OK to just will it clean.

If you can get the pieces to fit together so tight, feeler gauges wont pass, it will be
hard to do a bad weld.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

i also highly recommend a welding class at a local tech school.

I was mostly self-taught, and have been mig and tig welding for 15+ years. (personal projects only, nothing professionally)  I just recently took a class.   After taking it, i realized i should have done that 15 years ago.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

wow. back from the dead!

I got a few Tips from Spinnetti. he rocks!

Otherwise, I have about 5 community colleges near by that offer programs. been too busy to sign up though sad

Zombie thread! Moar brains! smile

I took a welding class all last fall at a local community college. It was  called "Oxy-Flue and Gas Metal Arc Welding Techniques for the Craftsman" and was technically part of the Fine Arts curriculum, which led to some amusing interactions. Most of the folks in there were working on sculptural or arty projects whereas I was always working on building a new lower radiator mount or a replacement rear bumper. But it was the best 3 hours of my week every week and I learned a ton. Not that my endorsement means much, but if you're going to weld and you haven't received any hands-on instruction, doing so makes a world of difference in your welding quality. Plus it's just a hoot, especially when you get to weld with bigger machines that will just turn even .120 wall DOM to mush if you're not careful. That's when you start to feel like a master of the universe.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I have a HH140 MIG on order right now.  I know it isn't big enough for a cage or heavy welding, but I needed an affordable setup to learn on and be able to make small repairs on the car and around the shop.  I have never used a MIG, so I too am looking into the community college training.  This term had already started and schedules didn't work out.  Hopefully I'll be able to take a class next term.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Home Depot sells a welders handbook or something like that. they keep it near the welders and consumables. it is worth it. it's got lots of illustrations for us dumb ones.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Thanks John, I'll check out HD for the book.  I've actually found some great instructional videos on Youtube.  One was done by a welding instructor and he was using a high school or college aged girl as his student.  It was clear that she was not mechanically inclined at all and she had never done any welding before the video.  The instructor started from scratch and taught welding safety, then proper techniques for tack welding and weld penetration before she ever tried to lay a bead.  It was worth a watch.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

24 (edited by Serj 2011-01-10 06:39 AM)

jeff; that sounds interesting, i 'd like to see those links. most of my current experience and thoughts come from a blend of my dad (he was a certified arc welder about 30 years ago; he said he was awesome at TIG and wishes he had some of his old work to show me) and youtube vids. a lot seem to be by students at a trade school or something where there's like 100 comments of telling him what he's doing wrong. The only other ones i could find easily were "instructional" vids that had 3minutes of talking about safety or what the types of welding there is, then 10seconds of them showing how to hold the gun etc, but NO WELDING...it's like, gee, i've heard all that before... I wanted to see techniques "IN PROCESS" and what to look out/look for.

Bottom line i think is that Doing > watching someone else.

EDIT: we're close enough that if you wanna come by and tinker on my 180 I wouldn't mind having ya by, I don't have much of any kinda bench setup though, my practice welds used a brake caliper on the hood of my lemon as a bench, heh.

I took a couple of classes at my community college and it was a blast. Nothing better than playing with new toys. The only problem was the instructional videos were about 20 years old.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat