1 (edited by harddriveracing.com 2010-10-11 08:03 AM)

Topic: Number 43 Camaro claimed by Jay? Yes

So I was curious if it ever happened before and why no one is talking about Jay claiming the number 43's STD Camaro and their "700HP roller rocker small block"?  I don't remember Jay claiming another car before...

Anyway Jay if you are reading this, and you did snatch it for the motor, we have dibbs on the body.  Turbo Iron Duke anybody?

Re: Number 43 Camaro claimed by Jay? Yes

Jay previously claimed a V12 mercedes at a race in California.

as far as the body, i think that is first between Jay and the team...he said he only wanted the engine and they could keep the rest if they wanted.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

3 (edited by Spank 2010-10-11 08:11 AM)

Jay "claimed" a Mercedes last year.

http://jalopnik.com/5410613/for-the-fir … -500-bucks

Yes, but last year's claim wasn't due to cheating, it was because the team volunteered to have him claim the car. This one seems to be cheat-related. Bravo to Jay for reminding us that you can spend big bucks to cheat and lose it all.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

If you could get a Pratt & Miller-developed SBC for only $500, wouldn't you do it in a freaking heartbeat? These guys have won LeMans (the real one) 5 FREAKING TIMES!!!

It is a good reminder though. It's easy for things to get out of hand if the refs don't enforce the rules of the game in any sport.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

It was a little strange having a solid 300 HP disadvantage out on the track.   Also, it was rather well hooked up cornering wise for a RWD F-Body.  Jay may not have needed that suspension, but he would have certainly benefited from claiming it as well.

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

7 (edited by m610 2010-10-11 09:55 AM)

The Mercedes got the "Most Heroic Fix Award", then right after that, got claimed.

Skip ahead to 4:55

Link: http://vimeo.com/8093170

Not to mention that is sounded like a cannon when they let off the throttle right next to your car and it backfired.  Scared the crap out of me many times.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I'm kinda glad it did backfire, he came up on you so quick there would be no-one there and you would be driving your line and suddenly you'd hear this crack...That was the get out of the way backfire because you just had no hope.  Not that we didn't have any hope against everyone else...

Just seeing it scream up in my rearview scared the crap out of me a few times.

http://murileemartin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/lemons_detroit_fall_10-bs-34-600px.jpg

Actually, Jay only claimed the engine.

DrunkMike wrote:

It was a little strange having a solid 300 HP disadvantage out on the track.   Also, it was rather well hooked up cornering wise for a RWD F-Body.  Jay may not have needed that suspension, but he would have certainly benefited from claiming it as well.

That rear end probably had a LSD and every fbushing replaced in the arms.

So, what's it going to go in?

Team Seppuku
1979 Toyota Celica GT Liftback

Judge Phil wrote:

http://murileemartin.com/wordpress/wp-c … -600px.jpg

Actually, Jay only claimed the engine.

He did claim it? Good! Claiming is no threat unless you use it once in a while wink What did he do with it? not like he could take it on the plane?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

clowntrigger wrote:

So, what's it going to go in?

If Jay still has the 944 that blew up on him a couple of times he should toss that Porsche POS motor and put that chevy in there. The small blocks fit nicely in that car. You can order the kits online and just drop it in.

He better put some real brakes on it at the same time. It will have a LOT more GO than STOP with 700 ponies.

those guys have big brass ones.  and i say good for them...if you're going to cheat, cheat your ass off.  and, uh, don't be shy about it.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I agree with the above comments that there needs to be some claiming just to keep everyone in check..else the rulebook eventually goes out the window.  I think the applause upon Jay making the claim told the whole story.

We definitely also had a surprise or two when they popped up next to you in turn 5 after closing up at 40mph on the straights.  Thank god the car backfired.

The look on the team captain's face when Jay asked to pull off the valve cover was priceless!

I have to say being in the car at the start of the race and not having any warning that the camaro was backfiring, that thing scared the crap out of me going down the hill to turn 5 the first time that thing blew by me. but man what a car around the track

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

It was fun running with them in the turns, but it was all over on the straights.  They come out of the turn, the nose lifts about 2-3", and there they go!  It was cool to watch in the rear view, side view, then from behind.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Got a post up on the subject.

They must have expected to be claimed....nobody could be that blatantly cheaty and expect to get through tech....what I don't understand is why they needed all the race crap. You can build a reliable 350HP SBC with a Q-Jet, stamped steel rockers and cast iron exhaust manifolds...and how much power can you put down anyway?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Jim, one of our team members was there the entire time it was in tech (in fact, he's the one who suggested 200 laps in honor of Petty's 200 wins) and he said that when Jay told them to pull the valve covers, their faces all just fell to the floor. From that, I take it that they certainly thought they were going to get away with it.

As to why: these guys are hard-core racers. I respect the hell out of them and what they do at Le Sarthe year in and year out. It would be nearly impossible for them to not try to push the envelope. Now if they are at Joliet, I wonder how much more hidden will be their cheaty... smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

It occurs that if their car performed impressively, that doing so would be good advertising, and getting caught at it only makes it better.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

Akaishi wrote:

It occurs that if their car performed impressively, that doing so would be good advertising, and getting caught at it only makes it better.

+1

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I think the corner workers in 3 saw me duck when it backfired right next to me.... my ear is still not quite right.

Thumbs up on claiming the motor. I'd much rather see that go to good use then get crushed, although with the lack of cursing lately that would have been a perfect candidate.