Re: Number 43 Camaro claimed by Jay? Yes

it was fast in the straights, not crazy fast in the turns.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26N9yFo_QUI

Agreed. Action video (w/sound) of this thing TEARING down a strait, or it didn't happen.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

54 (edited by goddom 2010-10-14 06:25 PM)

Here the camero passes the saturn between turns 6 and 7 and you get an idea of how fast the car is.  I am in the "legs" neon just ahead of this car and I can tell you I am throwing all 134 ponies at accelerating out of that turn and the camero SCREAMS by.  Unfortunately no back fire in this video.  Check out the video at approximately the 2:10 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfjSSiEdcF0

Lemons Car: '96 "Legs" Neon #69
Track car: '91 MR2 with a 3.0L V6 swap
Blog: http://consummatedriver.blogspot.com/

I know that it is usually frowned upon to cheat, but in a case like this with what I would characterize as a 'star' team (I mean, Pratt n Miller... dizzamn!)... what would you -really- rather see?... them show up in some complete turd, or something like what they brought? 

So long as their attitude is in the right place, and they get the appropriate penalty laps and are given zero chance of actually winning (and -only- 200 laps?... should've been 2000, imho)... go ahead and showcase your racecar.

I mean, for fuck's sake, it's a -racecar building/racing- team... I -want- to see what their shit is all about up close and personal-like. 

I would personally be disillusioned, possibly to the point of punching a puppy, if they show up in a p.o.s. Neon (and I mean -all- offense to neons out there! lols).  Beyond that, can you imagine the carping and back-biting that would happen if they did happen to win/place-well in a legit Lemons car?  No one would believe it anyway... they'd get crucified as cheaters regardless.

I hope like hell they show up at the next Houston race, take their penalty laps, and still have a great time.

Someone posted about the Henessey car, and I feel like they get the correct amount of penalty laps... they still race, still have fun, and I'm sure they will keep coming back.  More power to them.  I know I'd be way more suspect of what they brought if it -really- looked like a legit Lemons car than the blatant cheater they currently bring.

Look at it this way, P&M showing up to a Lemons race is like Michael Jordan/"insert-other-star-here"  showing up at your local pick-up game... you wouldn't turn him away, but you would probably expect him to be cool about being who he is and the situation at-hand.  You wouldn't expect him to actually claim the prize for your dunk-contest at half-time... but you'd love to see him do that up-close, on your home court.

It all hinges on their 'tude though...

What are the full specs on the motor?

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

jamesohoh7 wrote:

Look at it this way, P&M showing up to a Lemons race is like Michael Jordan/"insert-other-star-here"  showing up at your local pick-up game... you wouldn't turn him away, but you would probably expect him to be cool about being who he is and the situation at-hand.  You wouldn't expect him to actually claim the prize for your dunk-contest at half-time... but you'd love to see him do that up-close, on your home court.

It all hinges on their 'tude though...

How about Tony Stewart showing up at a chump car race (VIR 4/2010)?  His car was a true crap can.

The P&M guys could've built a seriously fast engine by machining a pick n pull motor, doing some porting, and re-grinding a cam. Or just gone to their junk pile and built something nice. It would've cost nothing.  Or next to nothing.

The car was fun to watch, though.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

58 (edited by Jer 2010-10-19 10:45 AM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

How about Tony Stewart showing up at a chump car race (VIR 4/2010)?  His car was a true crap can.

The great thing about SHR was that they were somewhat approachable, drove fairly, and it was neat watching them work.  They had dueling motor swaps in progress at one point and that was pretty neat.  Both were done in a few hours, but one didn't take and blew up immediately while they other lasted slightly longer.  But they were, as much as possible, regular joes.  The Hendrick and Scott Speed guys were even moreso.  I love they guys coimng, and agree it's all about the attitiude.

I think Tony was surprised his Camaro wasn't the fastest car on the track, because he himself called it a cheater.  Imagine what he thought when the Enterprise and the Jetta stormed by him.  hahahaha

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

I think Tony was surprised his Camaro wasn't the fastest car on the track, because he himself called it a cheater.  Imagine what he thought when the Enterprise and the Jetta stormed by him.  hahahaha

Quite a few cars stormed by him, including ours too.  smile

I never actually saw TS myself, though a few of my team members did.  If he would have stopped by our pit and wanted to chat I would have, but there was no way I was going to seek him out like some teenager or autograph hound.  To me he was just another guy...on a race track...in a car I was trying to beat.  I'm not a guy who thinks celebrities are anything special, hell I'd bet TS feels the same way and wanted to just have a fun day at the track.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

60 (edited by gsmith2424 2010-10-19 12:04 PM)

Jer wrote:

Along with a Miata.

And a LINCOLN!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

TS built real $500 cars.  P&M showed up with a cheater car and got caught.  For all I care, the Stig could race with us as long as he's in a true $500 car.  Crapcan racing is all about POS cars, not POS drivers.  TS's reception at VIR proved that all DRIVERS are welcome.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Mulry wrote:

. . . 200 laps in honor of Petty's 200 wins) and he said that when Jay told them to pull the valve covers, their faces all just fell to the floor. From that, I take it that they certainly thought they were going to get away with it.

As to why: these guys are hard-core racers. I respect the hell out of them and what they do at Le Sarthe year in and year out. It would be nearly impossible for them to not try to push the envelope. . . . . if they are at Joliet, I wonder how much more hidden will be their cheaty... smile

I hope they bring that car to JOLIET this weekend!  They were fun to race.

Mike Sprovtsoff, Jr.
#2 Topless Asset Racing Program (TARP 2) MR2 @ Nelson Ledges '09
#20 Tobacco Advocacy Racing Program (TARP 3) MR2@ Yee-Haw '09
#2 Topless Asset Racing Program (TARP 2) MR2 @ GingerMan2 '10

yeah we raced against the enterprise LTD here at CMP i sure would like to know what he has under the hood of that beast.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

steve wrote:

yeah we raced against the enterprise LTD here at CMP i sure would like to know what he has under the hood of that beast.

I think it had the LS-1, but it could have been the iron Duke truck motor.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

not to be a buzzkill but if there's a performance difference *that big*, it becomes a bit of a safety issue what with closure rates and so forth.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

By Sunday afternoon the barely running cars become rolling chicanes to the ones that are still racing. Closure rates are scary.

sergio wrote:

By Sunday afternoon the barely running cars become rolling chicanes to the ones that are still racing. Closure rates are scary.

For real!  We have never been running well near the end of an event, and being near the top of the leader board sunday afternoon was eye opening.  But I must say I was amazed at how courteous most everyone was.  I would say 90% of the people that saw me coming got out of the way, which I greatly apprecieted.  That allowed us to make up some laps on 3rd, but unfortunatly not enough.  But I had a great time doing it!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

steve wrote:

It's a 5.x? 32V out of an Escalade.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Not that another me-two-cents is necessary:

Mostly +1 for claiming anything this cheaty.

+1 A little for being so over the top and taking their lumps but...

+1 How fun can it be to out-class the field like that? I have no respect for it. Especially if they're pro drivers and should already have a skill advantage. The team of driving instructors from Miller Motorsports Park that won the first THill in a Mazda 323 win my respect.

HP is the LEAST important aspect of street car based racecars....  handling, braking and reliability are FAR more important...  Its also the easiest "cheater" item to spot..... 

Just look at the winners list at Lemons...how many have more than 200HP?  How many have more than 300? I think only 1 winner was rated at 322hp....the Mercedes..

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

HP is the LEAST important aspect of street car based racecars....  handling, braking and reliability are FAR more important...  Its also the easiest "cheater" item to spot..... 

Just look at the winners list at Lemons...how many have more than 200HP?  How many have more than 300? I think only 1 winner was rated at 322hp....the Mercedes..

+1 Also having a car that handles the same thru the whole race makes for an easier time behind the wheel. Knowing that you can take a turn and have the car perform just as it did the last lap is worth a bunch.

davisriley wrote:

I would say 90% of the people that saw me coming got out of the way, which I greatly apprecieted.  That allowed us to make up some laps on 3rd, but unfortunatly not enough.  But I had a great time doing it!

the volvo wagon was in that 10%.

Rally Rolla: 2010 American Irony 2010 25th, 2010 Blagojevich 500 11th
Nohow Racing Audi: 2010 Bull Oil GP 22nd?

Speedycop wrote:
steve wrote:

It's a 5.x? 32V out of an Escalade.

i don't think there is such a beast as a 32v LS motor.  it might be the 5.3L (285hp), but given the speed of the car, it might be the 345hp 6.0L.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Yeah, I think it's the latter. I don't speak GM.