1 (edited by LTDScott 2010-10-11 10:49 AM)

Topic: Lemons at SEMA!

Our beloved POS BMW Lemons racer will be a "featured car" at this year's SEMA show. I already mentioned it briefly in one thread, but I'm pretty damn excited about it so I figured I'd post it again.

http://www.dcmimages.com/Cars/2010-05-03/2010-05-03-86-of-134/857567983_QRCqP-L-3.jpg

The lovely lady in the photo is my friend who happens to be the PR person for Bilstein, and her husband is the "creative director" on our team and is the one most responsible for the execution of all of our themes.

Last year I had to go to SEMA for my company, and while there I spoke to her while she was working in the Bilstein booth. I joked that if she had asked nicely, they could have had our BMW in their booth. She then passed the joke on to her boss, who had known about our car and everything we had done to build it up (including the use of Bilstein shocks). To our surprise, he thought it was a great idea, and the joke snowballed into reality. Sounds a lot like the whole Lemons series itself!

So Bilstein sponsored up and paid for our entry fee, but we had to wait for SEMA to accept us. Our car is pretty anti-SEMA in its nature and budget to build. Their rules state cars should be "free of dents or cracked windows" etc. Um... that's gen-u-ine racing patina, not a dent! But I guess our pile is interesting enough, plus it does have several parts on it from SEMA exhibitors (Bilstein, Falken, Street Scene Equipment) because we got accepted. 

I'm very proud to fly the Lemons flag for the first time at SEMA. Our car is simultaneously perfect for the show (over the top ridiculous modifications) and the polar opposite of most cars there (our total investment is probably 1/10 the amount of any other car there), so I expect it to get quite a bit of attention. I have no idea where it'll be displayed at the show, although I hope it's at least under shelter (windows are for pussies!). We're currently working on prettying it up a bit (I can't believe I painted the interior floor) but it'll pretty much be in race-ready state.

The car is still registered and insured (only for the ability to flat tow it on the street because I don't own a trailer) and has working lights, so after the show we're going to try to make a few runs down the Strip for fun.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Re: Lemons at SEMA!

I will be out there...where will it be on display? Booth number?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

It won't be in a booth. It will be a "featured car" which means it will be out front or perhaps in one of the interior hallways. I have no idea where it will actually be until they direct me to park on the Sunday before the show.

Damn, this being there would make going to SEMA almost tolerable ("almost" being the operative word). I've already decided I was not going to SEMA this year  (after the previous five years each being mostly excruciating experiences) plus I opted for PRI and IMIS this year instead.

Have fun.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

Yep PRI for me as well...   I'll be sorry not to see the car at SEMA

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I go to all three for work so I have to be there.  I will try to find it when I am there in a few weeks.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Please tell me the car is street legal and that you'll be roading it there and not even bothering with a gas station car wash before you park it up. SEMA needs WAY more road and track grime.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Sorry to disappoint, but it's getting washed AND towed. It's street legal enough that I'm going to risk driving it on the Strip, but no way in hell I'm driving it 300+ miles through the desert.

Awesome. I'm sure it'll be nice to get some recognition for all of the hard work you dumped into that car.

Speaking of gas, check with sema and find out the fuel limit.  The Fire Marshalls are very very adamant (and rightly so) on a certain low fuel level to reduce fire hazard.  Normally its 1/4 tank or less but sometimes they don't even want that much.

As much as I'd love to see this driving around burning fuel on setup day outside, I don't think you'd like it as much.

Congrats on getting in, that is really cool!

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

Speaking of gas, check with sema and find out the fuel limit.  The Fire Marshalls are very very adamant (and rightly so) on a certain low fuel level to reduce fire hazard.  Normally its 1/4 tank or less but sometimes they don't even want that much.

As much as I'd love to see this driving around burning fuel on setup day outside, I don't think you'd like it as much.

I would!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx8OAKmsTCY

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

mikespeed95 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I've already read the rules - 1/4 tank or less, battery disconnected, gas cap taped, etc. Luckily our car finished its last race with less than 1/4 tank and I haven't refilled it, so we should be fine.

But that's a good reminder, I should get a can of gas for when the show is over.

LTDScott wrote:
mikespeed95 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I've already read the rules - 1/4 tank or less, battery disconnected, gas cap taped, etc. Luckily our car finished its last race with less than 1/4 tank and I haven't refilled it, so we should be fine.

But that's a good reminder, I should get a can of gas for when the show is over.

What a fantasticly clever use of a Lemons car!  Now you'll hobnob around with the big boys and they will want to play with your toy (er,.. car)  so much that I can see offers of swaps.. you'll get to drive the factory BMW at Daytona in exchange for letting them drive in the next Lemons 24 hour event!
   Well Done!

OMGuar wrote:

Now you'll hobnob around with the big boys and they will want to play with your toy (er,.. car)  so much that I can see offers of swaps.. you'll get to drive the factory BMW at Daytona in exchange for letting them drive in the next Lemons 24 hour event!

There is no way this plan can fail. wink

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

Now you'll hobnob around with the big boys and they will want to play with your toy (er,.. car)  so much that I can see offers of swaps.. you'll get to drive the factory BMW at Daytona in exchange for letting them drive in the next Lemons 24 hour event!

Clearly it's going to succeed.  Plus the exposure he gets from winning the class at Daytona will get him various invites from the pro teams!
Michael Schumacher is going to have to retire eventually so His ride in Formula 1 on the Mercedes team will be available..
OR Maybe finding the  real talent in Lemons racing BMW will get back into Formula 1  and that's a sure seat..

OMGuar wrote:

Maybe finding the  real talent in Lemons racing BMW will get back into Formula 1  and that's a sure seat..

Complication: The E30 doesn't meet the Formula 1 rulebook.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

17 (edited by LTDScott 2010-10-14 04:32 AM)

OMGuar wrote:

What a fantasticly clever use of a Lemons car!  Now you'll hobnob around with the big boys and they will want to play with your toy (er,.. car)  so much that I can see offers of swaps.. you'll get to drive the factory BMW at Daytona in exchange for letting them drive in the next Lemons 24 hour event!
   Well Done!

Wishful thinking!

I have made at least one connection due to SEMA, and that is with Bill Caswell, the rally racer who bought the $500 E30 on Craigslist and successfully raced it in the WRC event in Mexico. I am friends with a few people who know him (including my friend at Bilstein) and they informed me he'll also be at SEMA with a crazy new E30 project. He's also apparently moving to San Diego, so it'll be cool to possibly network with him.

My Step Dad's street rod was brought to SEMA as an Aeroquip display.  He was flown out after they fitted all hoses w/ their stuff.  They took him and the car to Daytona for the 500 too.  He really enjoyed it.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Jay/Nick have been nice enough to give me a bunch of Lemons swag to give away at SEMA. I have no idea where our car will be placed at the show, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Our crap can was featured in the SEMA News magazine previewing cars which will be appearing at the show:

http://catalog.proemags.com/publication … 4f59def/48

I'm pretty sure our car is the only one on the magazine with "foam bumpers covered in tape" mentioned in the modifications   smile

That's awesome.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Holy crap. We're big league now! Congratulations!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

OMGuar wrote:
FJ40Jim wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

Clearly it's going to succeed.  Plus the exposure he gets from winning the class at Daytona will get him various invites from the pro teams!
Michael Schumacher is going to have to retire eventually so His ride in Formula 1 on the Mercedes team will be available..
OR Maybe finding the  real talent in Lemons racing BMW will get back into Formula 1  and that's a sure seat..

I know!! We can have a competition!  Who wants to be America's Next Top Car Bl....err...Driver!

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Foam bumpers AND Rustoleum paint!

They forgot to mention the 100 zip ties.