Topic: What's with all the fuel leaks at Gingerman?

Most races, we'll get maybe one or two fuel-dumping incidents bad enough to be noticed by the corner workers, plus perhaps a couple more "I smell gas, where's it coming from?" leak discoveries in the Penalty Box. Not at Gingerman last weekend. Pretty much every single American car— and we're talking well over a dozen vehicles here— got busted for spewing gas all over the place, in addition to at least five leaky-ass imports. We had to put several teams on the trailer for multiple fuel-leak incidents on Sunday, which we really hate doing. By the way, when you think the problem is a leaky gas cap, 99% of the time you're wrong. It's (almost) never the gas cap.

Why all the leakers? High levels of ethanol in Michigan fuel dissolving gaskets and seals? Midwestern rust clogging up fuel-system vents and lines?

Re: What's with all the fuel leaks at Gingerman?

After checking the evac lines, fuel lines and tank, we surmised we had an issue with the filler tube. Massive amounts of silicon and metal tape were applied in a fruitless effort to stem back the leak.

Such a disappointment as we were sure we were just minutes from blowing that engine to kingdom come!!

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

Dow 730 is your fuel leak friend.  At $70-ish a tube, it's not cheap, but it's been holding our fuel tank together going on 4 years now.  You just need time (overnight is good) to let it cure.

Now if we can just stop blowing up motors...we'd be doing better (punches self in balls)

Fukushima Sushi Delivery
POS 325e

We had a working theory on the way home. 

We know that our cap and basically our entire fuel system was sealed shut and airtight - early in the race we heated and pressurized our tank.  It vented for over 30 seconds when we took the cap off. 

Vented caps vent at some small pressure (1-2PSI).  That's big if you are talking about air pressure - but less when you are talking about fluid pressure.  You can get 2 PSI under about 4' of static liquid.  Add dynamic pressure of sloshing and some static in-tank pressure and you will get the cap to vent gas under a few inches of movement.  Add all those long right hand turns and you get fuel moving dynamically up into the filler neck, slamming into the vented cap, and then coming out through cap vents. 

That is our working theory because once we worked out our tank vent issue and moved our exhaust away from the tank, we were still trailered with a gas leak. 

Of course, the second part of this is that the starter was along the front straight just after a hard right hand turn and was in prime position to catch any spillage that occured - unlike CMP where the flag stations are all on the inside of the right hand turns and generally don't have a good view of fuel leaks.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I will do all the work on our fuel systems from now on, not that I can do it better but I can blame myself easier & without guilt. wink  Both cars flagged for fuel leaks. sad

It Ain't My Fault

RobL wrote:

We had a working theory on the way home. 

We know that our cap and basically our entire fuel system was sealed shut and airtight - early in the race we heated and pressurized our tank.  It vented for over 30 seconds when we took the cap off. 

Vented caps vent at some small pressure (1-2PSI).  That's big if you are talking about air pressure - but less when you are talking about fluid pressure.  You can get 2 PSI under about 4' of static liquid.  Add dynamic pressure of sloshing and some static in-tank pressure and you will get the cap to vent gas under a few inches of movement.  Add all those long right hand turns and you get fuel moving dynamically up into the filler neck, slamming into the vented cap, and then coming out through cap vents. 

That is our working theory because once we worked out our tank vent issue and moved our exhaust away from the tank, we were still trailered with a gas leak. 

Of course, the second part of this is that the starter was along the front straight just after a hard right hand turn and was in prime position to catch any spillage that occured - unlike CMP where the flag stations are all on the inside of the right hand turns and generally don't have a good view of fuel leaks.

Rob, I'd second all that. I raced a brand new Mustang in SSGT some years ago, and it leaked too when you corner fast enough (Mid-Ohio).... Not sure we can totally avoid that without a fuel cell at some tracks. We got bounced, and not sure we can fix it short of a fuel cell. Maybe an add-on trap door?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Welcome to the rust-belt!!  Both of my 92 mx-3s have marginal filler necks, one of which had to have the vent line replaced with a section of hose last fall before the lamest day.  After the spring Gingerman race, I was ready to step up to a fuel cell, but I'm waiting to see how many of my teammates are interested in next year's schedule.....

Eric

Several of the leakers had fuel cells. The cell is not a cure-all for the leaky-race-car problem.

Dude-  It was off the hook.  I was managing the race from up in the tower and I saw gas spewing out of many cars.  We had drivers that had to come in because they were following a leaking car and were getting ill!       
   And I mean spewing!    not a few little drips, it was pouring out.     

RobL, I hope that you don't mean that you knew your car was leaking and were getting away with it before.  We have a one-chance policy on fuel leaks and it will be enforced.   

We are watching.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I've seen fuel leaks at every race I've done and often out of sight of corner workers-- outside of the last turn before the finishing straight at Thuderhill was the most recent spot that comes to mind. And as I mentioned previously, I have always seen a crown vic leaking fuel from it's filler neck-- at every race. Not trying to target them (and it may have been the same team -- but one had no trunk, I recall), but I wonder if there's something inherent in their fuel system/tank that causes it.

Someone suggested to me to wrap the fuel cell vent tube around the cell so that it would actually take a couple of rollovers to cause it to spill out of the vent tube. This is from an offroad guy. Our vent tubes have rollover valves in them, but it still doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'm interested to hear how the fuel cells leaked fuel so I can check ours for those weaknesses.

computergui wrote:

After checking the evac lines, fuel lines and tank, we surmised we had an issue with the filler tube. Massive amounts of silicon and metal tape were applied in a fruitless effort to stem back the leak.

Such a disappointment as we were sure we were just minutes from blowing that engine to kingdom come!!

Don, I think a new filler neck, with a trap door in line with the filler, and a check valve in the vent line should do it.... I'll consider how to make for you.... Send me a new filler and I'll fab something up. I think I have a spare check valve for the vent line too.

D.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Rob, sorry you guys couldn't get that issue closed out, but I sure enjoyed the work on that pseudo crown vic.  Great time hanging out as well!

If it helps you chase the issue, you did have gas spraying out on the 10-11 straight when I came by at around 4pm Sunday.  It was spraying out about 2ft and made for a nice water feature.

Lots of times we'll get reports of leaking cars from drivers of other cars, at which point we'll have Race Control instruct the corner workers to keep an eye on the suspected leakers. In the Penalty Box, we've got a standard policy of eyeballing/sniffing for gasoline leaks, in addition to checking for loose belts, sneakers instead of racing shoes, etc.

I'm still waiting to hear how the debodied Vic did other than the leak factor. Was it glued? Loose? Lap times?

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Evil Genius wrote:

RobL, I hope that you don't mean that you knew your car was leaking and were getting away with it before.  We have a one-chance policy on fuel leaks and it will be enforced.   

We are watching.

This was our first race with the Vic.  While we did have a leak during testing at the autocross, we fixed it, and the fix worked.  The filler neck leak first popped up at the track - we thought we had a legitimate fix for day 2, until I put too much gas in it.

As for our other cars, none of them have ever had fuel leaks.  We're not hiding anything.

FWIW, I followed a VW for about four laps that was dumping fuel out the filler neck in the left-hander at CMP.  They got called in four or five times but never got trailered because all the fuel had evaporated by the time they made it to the penalty box.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

16 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-10-11 04:21 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

I'm still waiting to hear how the debodied Vic did other than the leak factor. Was it glued? Loose? Lap times?

it corners and stops really, really well...better than the MR2, we think.  it's neutral and easily catchable if it gets loose.  the steering sucks, though; i noticed 2-3" of on-center free play.

it is quick enough but not especially fast in a straight line; part of that is the crap diff (really tough to put power down out of corners), part is the auto tranny (lots of hunting for gears), and part is that it sat in a field for two years before we bought it.  Dave set our fast lap at 1:50.8, IIRC.

weird that the MR2 is the "fast" car and the Crown Vic is the "handling" car.  the wing makes a difference; flattening it on the straights raised our top speed 5-7mph.  with it up on the stright, you could see the downforce compressing the rear suspension.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Evil Genius wrote:

Dude-  It was off the hook.  I was managing the race from up in the tower and I saw gas spewing out of many cars.  We had drivers that had to come in because they were following a leaking car and were getting ill!       
   And I mean spewing!    not a few little drips, it was pouring out.     

We are watching.

Wow...really????  You think an established team like Schumaker were aware of an obvious safety issue and ignored their own personal safety for the glory of the Lemons win??  Really??

Sounds to me, based on the posts that this is a bigger issue.   We've never had an issue in the past, and couldn't find any indication we had a fuel leak, other than the smell of gas.  We assumed our issue was filler neck because we ran out of other options.   Having run multiple events, it's not uncommon to see fuel coming out of a cap/filler tube.  We'll put something in place to prevent this in the future.

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

18 (edited by Jer 2010-10-11 06:09 PM)

Evil Genius wrote:

We are watching.

How did you read that into what Rob posted?  They were hundreds of laps down and were not going to risk health and safety to run a car leaking gas.  They were black flagged Saturday from leaking fuel.  I was on the phone and texting with the guys and they thought they had the problem fixed when Sunday started.  Nobody on the STS would knowingly run with a gas leak.  The risks are way too high.  We've probably run a combined 20 car/races in three seasons with no gas issues until now.  We are watching too.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Don't know if it will help, but I used to use one of the old in-line PCV valves as a vent tube rollover valve.....if the problem comes from a vent tube is in the filler neck, this might work as the centrifugal force could shut the valve during the long corners. OTOH, I only tried it turning left but it's Lemons cheap to try...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

The turbo bird was gasoline tight, fortunately.  As far as water, we had a pinhole weeping in a line to the oil cooler with only a few hours to go.  Brought it in every 20-30 minutes and topped it off.

I talked to the starter after the race, as he was looking closely at the car as it passed for a few laps.  He didn't see anything, so no foul.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I heard about the fuel leaks but only saw one car dump half a gallon in front of me.  I'm pretty sure it didnt even have a cap on it.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

We weren't there with our "brake-rotor-shedding-alfa-fuel-tank-opening" Mustang so you can't blame us for the excessive leaks.

23 (edited by RobL 2010-10-12 05:26 AM)

Evil Genius wrote:

I don't know where you got that from my post either.  We had an issue at an autocross where the seal at the neck to tank was leaking.  I fixed that at the track before tech. 

We got busted for gas on day one - we addressed this by fixing our in tank vent (the vent line was clogged).  We went out again and on one of our stops discovered the tank was still pressurizing but not leaking gas to our knowledge.  We called it for the day.  To fix that, we got under the car and redirected the exhaust out the sides of the car vs. the stock routing which goes over the axle and comes close to the tank.  We also made a better/larger vent line (with a rollover valve - we may be dumb but we're not stupid).  We got busted again for gas and were booted from the race with no objections from us.  We had no leg to stand on even if we wanted to appeal to Jay, since none of us could come up with a good explanation as to why we were leaking much less how to fix it.

Except for the RTV at the aforementioned seal, our fuel system was stock from front to rear including keeping the trap door on the filler neck.

And nobody should say that because we are an established team that we wouldn't do some stupid fix to get back on track.  I like to think (and we all know how well I think) that because we are an established team that we hold ourselves to a higher standard because we want to be invited back to the next race, but we should be questioned and distrusted just like every other team at the track.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Buzz Killington wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

it corners and stops really, really well...better than the MR2, we think.  it's neutral and easily catchable if it gets loose.  the steering sucks, though; i noticed 2-3" of on-center free play.

it is quick enough but not especially fast in a straight line; part of that is the crap diff (really tough to put power down out of corners), part is the auto tranny (lots of hunting for gears), and part is that it sat in a field for two years before we bought it.  Dave set our fast lap at 1:50.8, IIRC.

weird that the MR2 is the "fast" car and the Crown Vic is the "handling" car.  the wing makes a difference; flattening it on the straights raised our top speed 5-7mph.  with it up on the stright, you could see the downforce compressing the rear suspension.

Everything that Buzz said... 

I think that the Vic stops better than the MR2 and has better corner entry grip, but the MR2 had better corner exit speeds.  I don't know who set our fast lap - it says lap 6.  Our transponder was mounted incorrectly (first time it didn't work like this and I think that the track wires weren't picking up a lot of cars) so I don't think that we got any of Daves laps.  So it would have been either Mike or Kurt - I don't know who got into the car after we fixed the transponder.

BTW that wing moving up and down was wild to see.

The first time I saw it I thought it was coming off the car.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.