Topic: Newbie bought a Lemons car -- '94 Acura Vigor

Bought a '94 Acura Vigor last night for $350.  The car glass was vandalized with a baseball bat, so there are no windows.  A new windshield would be considered safety equipment, correct?  Any reason we need the rear window?  And the car has a decent aftermarket stereo.  I assume we could sell this, along with the ac compressor and cats, to reduce our cost basis in the car?

Does anyone have any Acura Vigor suggestions?  We're hoping to have enough spread within the $500 limit to stiffen up the suspension with either stiffer springs or bigger sways.  The engine and tranny seem to be solid, but that will be something we'll have to confirm next year.

Any advice appreciated...

Re: Newbie bought a Lemons car -- '94 Acura Vigor

Bring extra head gaskets with you, lots and lost of head gaskets.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

5 cylinders of fury!

My friend in high school had one and I got to drive it spiritedly often. I was pretty impressed with its handling for a FWD sedan. I can't offer much more than that.

Yes, everything you mentioned can be sold and put back into the budget.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Forget any go fast stuff, make it reliable.  After an event or two start playing with it.  The diet alone when you gut it will make it handle better.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

A stiffer suspension will net you BS laps regardless how under budget you are.

Scott Barton

6 (edited by st_rage 2010-10-12 12:06 PM)

As punisherbass suggested, head gaskets are the typical honda weak link.  ARP head studs, a new head gasket and a 16lb radiator cap will help.  You can probably cut the springs some to stiffen it up.

The windshield can be replaced outside of the $500,

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

You can buy suspension parts for it, but you'll need to document the hell out of both purchases and stuff you sell if you hope to avoid BS Inspection laps. That means you need to print out all Craigslist/eBay/forum/etc ads, save all receipts, etc. Getting parts you had "just lying around the shop," or parts given to you by friends/employers/etc., doesn't mean they're free, by the way; we will want to see fair value for such parts applied to your budgetary total.

If you want to stiffen the suspension, just cut the springs.  It'll ride like crap, but it does improve the handling.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

As others have said...spend your money on making the car more reliable!  Look at things like the tune up parts, the fuel pump, etc, etc... 

Hondas eat head gaskets, so if you can swing it, swap out the head gasket and buy new headbolts to keep the head in place.

Also, you might save some money on a new windsheild by going lexan instead.   Most circle track race shops will sell you a large slab of lexan, and its easy to trace the frame, cut, and install.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

The best way to avoid blowing Honda head gaskets is to avoid overheating. Get a big ol' junkyard radiator and make it fit.

Lexan is the way to go, just remember that you'll have to make some metal braces to support the windshield. To cut the lexan, use a jigsaw with a really coarse blade. Be sure to put a couple layers of painter's tape on the foot and on the windshield to avoid scratching.

skip the headgaskets, just weld the head to the block, ta-da! no more annoying headgasket failures! smile

Seriously on welding the heads to the block?

lols

Judge Phil wrote:

The best way to avoid blowing Honda head gaskets is to avoid overheating.

I thought this was true of all engines.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Zoomzoom wrote:

Sure.  You have to use pure argon as the shielding gas, and a hybrid rod, to allow the aluminum head to stick to the iron block. 

Totally do-able.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:
Zoomzoom wrote:

Sure.  You have to use pure argon as the shielding gas, and a hybrid rod, to allow the aluminum head to stick to the iron block. 

Totally do-able.

Jim, at least put the smiley face at the end.....he might just try it

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

FJ40Jim wrote:
Zoomzoom wrote:

Totally do-able.

I thought brazing would be the way to go.  Don't forget the other advantages:not only do you get rid of the gasket but you also save the extra weight of head bolts.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

FJ40Jim wrote:
Zoomzoom wrote:

Totally do-able.

Why go through all that trouble when you could just gas braze it?

Honda's are great, but in Lemons they tend to blow head gaskets. What you can do to help prevent this is 3 things: Replace your gasket now, and put in aftermarket studs that are stronger, like ARP. Find a bigger radiator as stated, maybe from like a F350 or something (it's Lemons, make it fit).
Third, learn to be a better driver. I mean that in a general statement to the entire team. Don't use the transmission to downshift, your brake pads are much cheaper and faster to replace. Don't race so aggressively that you miss-shift and put it in 2nd when it should have gone in 4th. This will shoot the revs to 13000rpm. Guess what happens then? It would also be a good idea to stay away from redline. If you must, put in a shift light. Either that, or glue a block of wood to the backside of the gas peddle to help support your led foot.

Honda's have excellent handling and more would win if teams would keep from pushing it to out drag a T-Bird.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Honda's are great, but in Lemons they tend to blow head gaskets. What you can do to help prevent this is 3 things: Replace your gasket now, and put in aftermarket studs that are stronger, like ARP. Find a bigger radiator as stated, maybe from like a F350 or something (it's Lemons, make it fit).

i don't want to jinx our car, but have you ever seen a Honda blow a headgasket BEFORE it overheated?   FYI, we have ran our Honda in 5 races now, and it has yet to see 200F.  Most of the time it never goes over 190F.  The only laps we have missed were due to a brake issue, and an alternator belt...nothing engine related.  Either our car is magic, or we just got lucky and bought the best junkyard (stock) radiator ever.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Does anyone here have experience with the Honda 5-cylinder in the Vigor popping head gaskets, or is it just experience with the 4 cylinders speaking?

Definitely focus on durability, as others said.  We finished 8th in a stock base Neon this past weekend, even with 30-40 minutes in the pits replacing god awful hot brakes.  Once you get through a race, you'll have time to figure out what exactly your car needs to be more competitive (typically, it's the drivers first, then car mods second). 

Steve
#69 Legs Neon

LTDScott wrote:

Does anyone here have experience with the Honda 5-cylinder in the Vigor popping head gaskets, or is it just experience with the 4 cylinders speaking?

It's the 4-cylinder experience talking, but it is an issue that seems to be indiscriminate of cylinder count. at MSR last month, i know an E30 straight-6 that blew a head gasket, and a Ford V8 that blew a head gasket, as well as a Honda L4.

as long as Zoomzoom replaces his brake fluid, rotors, and uses race pads, addresses all cooling issues, any other problems will most likely be driver induced

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I didn't know Honda ever messed with a 5 cylinder engine..I thought only VW/Audi had that honour back in the heady days of the I5 engines in the Quattro etc....(WR, MB and 20V engines with fat turbos too)!  Volvo used in in the 850 too.....Honda had a terrible marriage with good old Rover and the K Series engine was born and quicly died thanks to the British half of the equation!  So.....I guess I can't offer any suggestions on a Honda 5 cylinder.....but its a combustion engine after all.....put some eggs in the radiator!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

25 (edited by LTDScott 2010-10-14 11:27 AM)

Not just a 5-cylinder, but a longitudinally mounted one in a FWD car!

http://webhome.idirect.com/~tkliem/House%20of%20Vigors/Images%20Folder/History%20Page/Vigor%20engine.jpg