Topic: Unbelievable Score!

So we were lucky enough to stumble across an ebay listing for a CHP PIT maneuver training vehicle. They have full roll cages that the state paid $11,000 to have custom built for the cars. We bought them for $999 a piece and got 4 of them. I not only wanted to brag about them, I also was wondering if we will be able to bs our way through tech standing on the fact that they already came with roll cages so that saved us at least $500 on the car build. So now we would be back at the $500 car purchase rule right?

Picture of the cars
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 … 1713987481

Link to the ebay purchase with more pictures
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Cro … ars_Trucks

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Pintoghini with turbo 2.3L
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Re: Unbelievable Score!

Sorry, $ 999 so already $ 499 over budget
4: VEHICLE PRICE

* 4.1: Total Investment in Vehicle Can Not Exceed $500: Except for items described in Rules 4.2 and 4.3, the total spent to purchase and prepare any car may not exceed $500.
                + 4.1.1: Lame-Ass Rationalizations: Cars that "should be" worth $500 don't count; cars that "were worth $500" before you spent another $2000 to fix them don't count; cars you've owned for 20 years and spent more than $500 on during that time don't count; "it would have been worth $500 if it didn't already have a cage" doesn't count. Five hundred dollars means five hundred frickin' dollars.

Or I could be totally confused
Unless you can get a receipt that says you paid $ 500 for the car and $ 499 for the cage
And are you sure the cage will pass tech ?

It Ain't My Fault

You have to leave the co-driver brake pedal!

You may be able to argue that you paid 499 for the car and 500 for the cage but hard to say.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

The cages look good. We will have to add the diagonal bar behind the driver seat but thats it. Looks like we may be having to pull that co-driver brake pedal out to sell it to lower the car cost. Selling all the metal for scrap from those giant crash bumpers will help too. Haha!

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Unless Im not seeing it you'll have to add a 2nd door bar too.  Not entirely sure the multiple bends in the a-pillar bars will be acceptable, might wanna email Jay just to be sure.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Nerf bars will have to come off - not allowed.

3.13: Nerf Bars Not Allowed: Added structural elements that extend past the original bodywork line are not allowed. In other words, no nerf bars, wheel-protection cages, or crash bars. (Worried about your car being damaged? Here's an idea--don't hit anyone.)

Also, if you can sell $500 of stuff of each you have absolutely no BS to do.

I love the nerf bars. Yes, they'll have to go, but perhaps you could build exact duplicates in PVC and mount those?

Yes we planned on removing the nerf bars. They are extremely heavy and incorporate 1/4 steel plate on the front bumper mounted nerfs. I missed the two driver door bar thing. it will be an easy fix and I also had some concerns about the front uprights being bent around the dash but I can say i looked one of the track cars at the academy that has the exact same cage in it that had flipped a couple times and it didn't deflect at all.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Old Spice Crown Victoria

By the by, they won't put those on the public sales list here in Sac - I get to see them drive from the classroom to the training grounds about once a month on Saturday... makes people slow down a bunch, even at 6am!

As already mentioned, I don't see there being any way the A pillar bars passing tech with that S bend. You look to have a very nice and sturdy cage to start with, but it will need some upgrades to make the techs happy.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

crazymike wrote:

By the by, they won't put those on the public sales list here in Sac - I get to see them drive from the classroom to the training grounds about once a month on Saturday... makes people slow down a bunch, even at 6am!

These all came from West Sac. I use to work at the Cummins dealership right next to the track. We would watch them run around the track all the time. It was torture to listen to them out there sliding around all day.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Considering how many Crown Vics go through BS unmolested, I don't see the "I paid $1000 for this heap, cage included" thing being an issue if the wheels of justice are properly greased. $500 CVPIs exist, and assuming these aren't immaculate examples you at least have a leg to stand on.

Although personally, I'd have a hard time cutting one up to use as a Lemon. Those nerf cages are just SO DAMNED COOL - there has to be SOMETHING you could do with them that would allow you to leverage the awesomeness, especially with FOUR of the damned things.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

With four of them, you have at least one to loan out as a judgemobile. I'd make it one with the nerf bars still attached.

I want to know who in the world thought those a pillar bars would be good in any capacity.  Otherwise I am sure you can recoup $500 in those cars.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

16 (edited by Winging it 2010-10-17 10:03 AM)

Well unless some of you guys are interested in standing in a make shift line to PIT maneuver your friend / wife / possibly the judges, for an undisclosed amount of money, I dont see a whole lot we can do with the damn things. Our v8 BMW and Pinto are hardly worthy of making it both days but it never stops us from trying. We just thought it would be cool to actually have a chance at finishing with one car. Maybe the 2 of these we're trying to bring will make it the whole race.

If this were a thunderhill or infineon race we would most definitely be offering one for the judge mobile. Unfortunately Buttonwillow is a tad too far for us to bring a 3rd car to. Now if someone from the sac area has the means to tow one of them down there for them it could happen. I'm pretty sure they would have some fun with the passenger brake pedal much like we did. It's fun to hit at unexpected times when your buddy is trying to carefully back the car out from in between cars of actual value.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Maybe you could just do something like the FIA requires for the rally cars and tie it in with gussets to the existing bottom portion of the A-pillar bar:

http://assets0.hubgarage.com/photos/0360/8960/CrownVicApillar_detail.jpg?1287343152

How has nobody else yet pointed out out that these cars are the perfect starting point for this?  If you build it, they will come!

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Damn! I've been eyeballing those for a while and they always  said no way.

Just sister the front bars, leave the original in.

If you could find a donor to pay gas and maybe gate fee I have a friend that would love to
tow one down - he's not cheap tho' (diesel from Hollister to Sac, to B-w x2, 16mpg)

Part one entirely out and use that as the compensation for the other three!

crazymike wrote:

Damn! I've been eyeballing those for a while and they always  said no way.

Just sister the front bars, leave the original in.

If you could find a donor to pay gas and maybe gate fee I have a friend that would love to
tow one down - he's not cheap tho' (diesel from Hollister to Sac, to B-w x2, 16mpg)

Part one entirely out and use that as the compensation for the other three!

I would stay on them about the actual track cars. They are being replaced by the 500+ hp dodges. And yeah we have the means to tow them down there but just cant afford to do it. It looks like 2 of these will be turned into Lemons cars and the other 2 will be turned into dirt track cars for a new class starting up at our home track. That's a great idea with the front down bars. Cant wait to see what these will do at buttonwillow. I know the blue whale tail car has always been fast when we have ran with it.

E=MC Hammered
E30, 302I (ME car)
Old Spice Crown Victoria

Interesting that these can't be sold for street use. Back about 8 years ago I was in the market for a P71 and found a dealership in L.A. that had several for sale, including one which had a complete internal roll cage (but no external bash bars).

I can't say for sure it was CHP though.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

Interesting that these can't be sold for street use.

Eh, they probably can be if the nerfs are cut off unless they did something funky with the titles, or hacked up emissions or the frame. CHP's normal cars are all over the damned resale market. They're the 'run down horrible $500' ones. Seriously, CHP chews those things to pieces. I'd thought they practice PITs with their actual road cars the beating they get.

Small towns and departments tend to provide the good ones reasonable human beings would want to drive.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I wonder how soon we will start seeing CHP-beat Hemi Chargers?

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

I say you combine both nerf cages as the basis for an Eiffel Tower theme.

Bonus points for actually using it as an antenna for team communication.

Amateur Welder, Professional Grinder

No seriously, what could go wrong?

25 (edited by LTDScott 2010-10-19 09:05 AM)

EyeMWing wrote:

CHP's normal cars are all over the damned resale market. They're the 'run down horrible $500' ones. Seriously, CHP chews those things to pieces. I'd thought they practice PITs with their actual road cars the beating they get.

Small towns and departments tend to provide the good ones reasonable human beings would want to drive.

I respectfully disagree. When I was in the market for a used cop car, the CHP cars were typically more expensive because they had lower mileage and had been better maintained.

I used to work at a Ford dealer that would frequently perform repairs on CHP cars that were outside the work done at their own garage, and their cars all seemed to be in good shape and had maintenance schedule stickers inside. I even got to drive a few on the street, which was a fun experience, heh.

I ended up buying a '97 P71 that was from the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office because the CHP cars were out of my price range at the time. I suspect it was a supervisor's car or something because it never had a cage and the interior was damn clean. Just sold it a couple months ago after owning it for about 8 years.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.