Topic: Buttonwillow Track Configuration for Arse Freeze

Just checking in to see if the Judges, or anyone, knows whether or not we will run the Lost Hill.

Based on this link:  http://www.jagpromotions.com/images/but … owmap2.jpg

Any news yet?

Re: Buttonwillow Track Configuration for Arse Freeze

If we don't run lost hill, we can all blame Krider Racing!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Just to avoid confusion, Lost Hill at Buttonwillow is also know as Phil Hill.   The names seem to evolve over time.   The hill is lots of fun!

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I was very much worried about running Lost Hill last year because it is a bit hairy, but it really wasn't much of anything once we got going. Krider is the exception, of course.

Frankly, I think the blind hill at Thunderhill (Eagle's nest??) is much worse/scarier. However, you don't flip over if you have an off, but the potential for massive pileups on the downhill side is much higher.

I hope it stays because at a recent test session with the mini, I figured out that without traffic I don't even have to lift-- I can just keep the foot planted on the floor around Riverside and then all the way around up and over Lost Hill. Yes, our car is that slow.

Spank wrote:

I was very much worried about running Lost Hill last year because it is a bit hairy, but it really wasn't much of anything once we got going. Krider is the exception, of course.

I hope it stays because at a recent test session with the mini, I figured out that without traffic I don't even have to lift-- I can just keep the foot planted on the floor around Riverside and then all the way around up and over Lost Hill. Yes, our car is that slow.

I agree about the hill.   It seems scary at first, but after a few laps it is actually fun.

As for Riverside, that is my favorite turn.   My Volvo is a bit faster than your mini, but if I keep just the right amount of throttle I can cruise right at the limit of my tires all the way through Riverside, then floor it towards Lost/Phil Hill until I have to brake, just before the top.

I was working as a newbie flagger there last weekend (SCCA regionals) and there were lots of "oopsies" coming out of Riverside.   Most of them seemed to happen with heavy traffic, but I still don't understand why.   It seems like such a benign turn.

I thought it was called "Magic Mountain".

I've taken to calling T5 at T'hill the Glen County Corkscrew.

The bypass at T'hill is scarier. It's blind, you carry much more speed over it (4 wheels off, as up in the air), and it is not straight.

I've run Buttonwillow once, counter-clockwise, so in this configuration it will be a new track for me.

m610 wrote:

I thought it was called "Magic Mountain".

I have heard that name applied to the one marked on the map as "Grapevine".   If you are running CCW, that name certainly fits the roller coaster-like ride as you approach the turn!   :-)   If you have a powerful fast car, watch out!

It may be that "Magic Mountain" just refers to that up-and-down feature, and not the turn itself.   I don't notice it at all going CW because I've just come out of the turn and am going slow.

You can find the "official" turn names on the track maps at http://buttonwillowraceway.com/

They ran it last time they were there.

I figured it was called Magic Mountain because it was artificial, like, you know...

The GrapeVine name makes sense for drivers coming up from the south part of the state.

Spank wrote:

Frankly, I think the blind hill at Thunderhill (Eagle's nest??) is much worse/scarier. However, you don't flip over if you have an off, but the potential for massive pileups on the downhill side is much higher.

Agreed.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Going CCW it would be turn one then the chicanes on to ether the sweeper or star mazda then over magic mountain around Taladega into the buss stop around to cotton corners and then straight to the button hook and then back down to the right before the front straight

Pen