Topic: what's more lemony? super beetle/750i/xj6

Hey Guys, now that Lemons is coming to NJ next year, I'm dragging my buddies along.  Well I'm not dragging them they are coming rather easily.  I'm starting to look for a vehicle of some sorts.  My question is, what's more lemony? 

I read a post from Judge Phil saying that he wants to see more v12 german barges, but they scare the ever-loving poop out of me.  Same thing with jag motors and their stellar reputation for reliability (and I've read that chevy 350's haven't faired very well either).  I know absolutely nothing about bugs, but they seem to be inherently simple (seem being the operable word). 

I don't want to be cheaty and get something that's all that common, but then again I guess common stuff is common for a reason. 

I'm kinda leaning towards a bug, especially in light of the fact that pre-bent cages are available, and it's perceived simplicity, but I don't know if it's lemony enough.

Re: what's more lemony? super beetle/750i/xj6

If you need simplicity, the VW is the way to go

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Stick the motor from the jag into the bug, with the suspension from the BMW=instant win!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Wait 'til after Arse Freeze - I'm fielding a 64 beetle and will have a post race report
Team "-ing with bad ideas"

davisriley wrote:

Stick the motor from the jag into the bug, with the suspension from the BMW=instant win!

I think I need a bigger b...welder.  And the ole lady would have my manbits in jars above the fridge for having three crapboxes in the driveway. 

I'm not afraid of odd crap...as long as it has a chance of actually running somewhat well.  I've always wanted a 12cyl tho...  Here's the ebay listing for one I saw.  I should be able to get most of the $500 back once I strip out the interior (maybe), but that whole severe miss issue kinda scares me.

$500 750i on ebay

Holy Crap, the same seller has a 1958 Jaguar Mark 1  ::drool::  Hasn't ran in 30 years...that shouldn't be a problem right?

30 years? Hell, the gas in the tank is probably still good!

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

7 (edited by Spank 2010-10-23 09:47 PM)

EyeMWing wrote:

I'm STILL trying to get rid of the 15+ gallons of gas that were in the sChitroen tank sitting 20 years... And where it spilled in my driveway still reeks of varnish (not to mention a hole eaten in the asphalt).

Spank wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

I'm STILL trying to get rid of the 15+ gallons of gas that were in the sChitroen tank sitting 20 years... And where it spilled in my driveway still reeks of varnish (not to mention a hole eaten in the asphalt).

Fire. Fire always works.

<3 middle of nowhere.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Put the old gas in the race car one quart or maybe a bit more at a fill
- the smell should impress Phil.

Realistically, the VW should be your best bet for simplicity and reliability... which is exactly why a  big BMW or a Jag would be considered "more lemony". (moreso the Jag because it's British)

Not saying that a VW will be "easy" by any stretch of the imagination, of course.  Unless you intend to baby it around the track, it's going to take some well-reasoned prep to ensure its reliability.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Seems to me that air cooled VWs are always high in the running for IOE, so if that's your goal, that's the way I would go.

There is definitely an advantage to the simplicity. Except for the last race, we haven't had anything sideline us out of the race completely. Having said that - there is always something breaking. Take spares of everything you can think of.

We ran a '73 Super Beetle at CMP last month, and will run it there again in May. I personally think there is real potential to be both competitive as well as, well, hooptie. The biggest thing you MUST do, that we did not (it's a long story), is to convert your bug to disc brakes and then upgrade the pads. We still had the stock drums on ours and it turns out its hard to go fast when you can't stop!

Also, you may want to add an extra external oil-cooler to the engine. The obvious engine swaps would be with a turbo Subaru (you have to make a couple mods to reverse the direction of the drive shaft) or if you want to stay air-cooled try and find an old 4-cylinder 914/type 4 engine.

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

Since you have some time and you know it will be a LeMon, you should just craigslist search for weird cars. We're running a car I got for parts but would have enjoyed something a bit more ridiculous...
here's a list of good starter words.
project
need
rust

Rally Rolla: 2010 American Irony 2010 25th, 2010 Blagojevich 500 11th
Nohow Racing Audi: 2010 Bull Oil GP 22nd?

You forgot the most important keywords of all:
Ran when parked.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I suggest an early-80s Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. Or, really, any Cadillac. We like luxury cars in Lemons. Here's a wish list of some not-yet-seen-in-LeMons cars that shouldn't be too hard to find. Bring one of these and you'll make us very happy:

Chrysler TC By Maserati
Buick Reatta
Oldsmobile Trofeo
GM "Dustbuster" minivan (Olds Silhouette, Chevy Lumina APV)
Mazda 929
Acura Legend
Subaru XT6
Cadillac Allante
Cadillac Catera
Plymouth Arrow (bonus points for Fire Arrow)
Merkur Scorpio
Triumph Spitfire

Now, if you really want to make us happy, go for the hard-to-find stuff. You know, Borgwards Hansas, Renault 12s, Kaiser Mahnhattens, that sort of thing.

You forgot the Stag.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Stags aren't easy to find. Reattas, however, are very easy to find.

My "friend" just sent a 929 to get crushed... sad He is no longer a friend.

Judge Phil wrote:

I suggest an early-80s Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. Or, really, any Cadillac. We like luxury cars in Lemons. Here's a wish list of some not-yet-seen-in-LeMons cars that shouldn't be too hard to find. Bring one of these and you'll make us very happy:

Chrysler TC By Maserati
Buick Reatta
Oldsmobile Trofeo
GM "Dustbuster" minivan (Olds Silhouette, Chevy Lumina APV)
Mazda 929
Acura Legend
Subaru XT6
Cadillac Allante
Cadillac Catera
Plymouth Arrow (bonus points for Fire Arrow)
Merkur Scorpio
Triumph Spitfire

Now, if you really want to make us happy, go for the hard-to-find stuff. You know, Borgwards Hansas, Renault 12s, Kaiser Mahnhattens, that sort of thing.

There will be a Spitfire at the Buttonwillow race. They used my bender a couple nights ago to get their cage hoops bent.

I'd say the most LeMony of the three is an XJ6. Don't run one.

Ours is still 4000lbs, and that's after we ditched 900lbs of interior crap. Parts costs are stupid-high ($70 each for 4 ball-joints? Get the front-end kit from FCPGroton for $280). Race brake pads are necessary on such a big car, and a $300 custom order (Carbotech via Amp'd Autosport). Tires are a PITA to find in a good size (Sumitomo HTR200s in 225/50R-15 fit on the stock rim). You'll need at least 60 ft of 1.75"x.120" tubing, whereas a smaller car can use about 40-50 ft of 1.50" tubing. Inboard rear brakes, and the stock exhaust rests against the left rear caliper - plan on dropping the rearend so you can replace the discs and rebuild the calipers. The wiring is far more complex than it needs to be - so keep it all intact and double-check in the wiring diagram before you remove anything. The Jag-Lovers website has all the information you need, but good luck finding it; their website is very unorganized, and apparently all the Jaguar lovers think this is the way it's supposed to be.

I'd go with the Beetle, or I'd rig up a carb and stand-alone distributor for the BMW.

21 (edited by yodogg 2010-10-26 06:29 PM)

Could there really be anything more Lemony than a Reliant Robin? That, I believe, would be the hopeless cause of all hopeless causes!

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

I'm in the process of building a 73" super Beetle for the Miami season ender. I used to run this car at a local dirt track many years ago, and it almost always kicked ass. Obviously it will need a different set up to go road racing. Anybody running an old VW have any tips? I've Got PLENTY of spares for every part on the car, and intend on bringing all I can haul with me. I figure an old VW has got to have some fan appeal, and is pretty simple to maintain.
Paul

J.B. Bugs Racing
1973 VW Super Beetle....Yeah,yeah I know - It's Not a racecar.
2010 Horas de Cuba del Norte -First in class C, The Ugly, 23rd overall!

yodogg wrote:

Could there really be anything more Lemony than a Reliant Robin? That, I believe, would be the hopeless cause of all hopeless causes!

True, but it's not eligible for this series:

2.1: Vehicle Eligibility: Entry limited to mass-produced, four-wheeled vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

What if you took a Robin and grafted a nice two-wheeled front suspension to it?  Certainly not the craziest feat to be attempted in the name of Lemons racing.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Judge Phil wrote:

[..]
Cadillac Catera
[..]

And the Catera is RWD!  Like any real race car!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.