Topic: The overall points standings race is getting mighty interesting

The Red Rocket Ratnest Revival Taurus SHO gained two points on Eyesore in the season-championship standings last weekend, and both teams will be appearing in at least one more race apiece. It's 44 points for Eyesore, 39 for the Ratnests!

Let's hope we see both contenders at the Fulgencio Batista race in December!

Re: The overall points standings race is getting mighty interesting

I think the point system needs revisiting for next year. If the real winner is IOE, yet you get zero points for being the real winner, that doesn't seem fair. Also, if you earn other awards, some points should be assessed. We did Feb. CMP, April Gingerman (Epic Repair Failure),  June Summit Point with two cars (I Got Screwed, fastest lap) July Stafford (IOE), Fall CMP, and now Joliet (another IOE).  Six races, seven cars entered, four epic IOE builds just this year, and four awards, two of which are the ultimate award. Our total points so far this year?

Zero.

I'm not complaining. This is the way the system was set up for 2010. I'm just saying I'd like to see it revised for 2011.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

You've won my heart Speedy, does that count?

The other awards will be taken into account when deciding on the 2010 Legends of Lemons Awards.

CarRacer wrote:

You've won my heart Speedy, does that count?

That's the ONLY thing that counts... wink

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I think it's great that there is a championship but the system is a bit flawed.  In order to make it a tad more fair (I know, fair and Lemons are rarely in the same room together.) it seems there should be a cap on the number of races a team can do to earn points.  Also, Jay should look into the idea of giving points to more places to reward teams that consistently do well but have never been quite good enough to win.

Just a thought.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

...reward teams that consistently do well but have never been quite good enough to win.

"First Loser Award"  tongue

http://gabrielutasi.com/080707.first_loser.gif

hahaha, I think the Track Pillagerz! could get a nice fat first loser award!

CMP Feb = IOE (23rd place after a caliper failure)
Gingerman April = no awards (12th place best finish EVER for the team)
Summit Point = no awards (17th VERY hard-fought through the heat)
Gingerman October = no awards (15th with suspension complications, brake failures, and a broken subframe)
Autobahn = Lemons history made with a 90s Buick LeSabre LEADING the race; dragon head and all; Iron Nadz award (15th place)

6 races so far on the Buick. looks like we need more than just our skill and reliability now. time for dual engines?

Judge Phil wrote:

The Red Rocket Ratnest Revival Taurus SHO gained two points on Eyesore in the season-championship standings last weekend, and both teams will be appearing in at least one more race apiece. It's 44 points for Eyesore, 39 for the Ratnests!

Let's hope we see both contenders at the Fulgencio Batista race in December!

DLBF award!
  Dead last But finished.  for the ones who sholdier on  in spite of no chance..
  Spear carrier award for the mid pack runner..

I'm also not sure if multiple cars should count.  Sure the chances of you fielding 2 cars in the same race and both getting points is low but I'd rather the 2 cars be considered separate with the points going for what determined before the race starts.

I also think that fielding the same car the whole season for points is a bit more epic of an achievement than gathering points by having a bunch of cars all under the same team name.  I guess the best chance for winning is by having a team of drivers spread throughout the country each with cars to hit their region and list them as one team.  You could hit almost every race and if you are consistent just rack up lots of points the whole season.

Of course with that all said who really cares about championship points.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

You do realize running 2 cars in 1 race doubles you chances for failure.

It Ain't My Fault

Is it possible to double the chance for failure for the bradley?

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

I'm also not sure if multiple cars should count.  Sure the chances of you fielding 2 cars in the same race and both getting points is low but I'd rather the 2 cars be considered separate with the points going for what determined before the race starts.

I also think that fielding the same car the whole season for points is a bit more epic of an achievement than gathering points by having a bunch of cars all under the same team name.  I guess the best chance for winning is by having a team of drivers spread throughout the country each with cars to hit their region and list them as one team.  You could hit almost every race and if you are consistent just rack up lots of points the whole season.

Of course with that all said who really cares about championship points.

+1

We thought we would race 4 races this year. Then we got luckly and won the first race, then a second place, another win, a third place, and we start thinking about the championship. So now it looks like we will race 7 times if we go to Miami. The racing budget got blown to pieces. Some teammates can't afford to do all the races and the wives, although they understand there's a trip to LeMans on the line, are stressed out about the overall costs during the year.

Next year I'll be luckly to go to the store in my race car....

14 (edited by doctawife 2010-11-02 07:10 PM)

Sergio - you MUST go to Miami, and LA!  If you don't I'll be heartbroken.

Srsly, Eyesore are like the Yankees, and y'all are like our poor, sad Astros.  The Eyesore guys aren't winning via spending, unlike the Yankees, but they are as dominant as anything in Lemons could get.  Besides, who doesn't want to see a Miata and a SHO duking it out?

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

There's your new theme, Sergio. Paint the car in the good old colors of the Superdome Astros. Wear the old rainbow jerseys when you roll through tech and judging.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

doctawife wrote:

Srsly, Eyesore are like the Yankees, and y'all are like our poor, sad Astros.  The Eyesore guys aren't winning via spending, unlike the Yankees, but they are as dominant as anything in Lemons could get.  Besides, who doesn't want to see a Miata and a SHO duking it out?

You want to come drive in LA? I don't think I can get all my team to go to LA.

sergio wrote:
doctawife wrote:

+1 driver here -- I've even got a shop where you can "fix" the car in LA before heading up to the race.

sergio wrote:
doctawife wrote:

By LA, do you guys me Los Angeles or Louisiana? I didn't know there was a Cali race in LA. RRRR better be at the Grand Circuit Bayou, otherwise, they might loose the regional points standings

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

BlackIronRacing_V wrote:
sergio wrote:
doctawife wrote:

+1 driver here -- I've even got a shop where you can "fix" the car in LA before heading up to the race.

Alright! Probably won't need any "fixin" but it's good to know. And I know you guys drive the shit out of a car.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
sergio wrote:
doctawife wrote:

By LA, do you guys me Los Angeles or Louisiana? I didn't know there was a Cali race in LA. RRRR better be at the Grand Circuit Bayou, otherwise, they might loose the regional points standings

We are going to Louisiana. Cali would be only if we bomb in Cajun country.

sergio wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:
sergio wrote:

We are going to Louisiana. Cali would be only if we bomb in Cajun country.

Haha - sorry, I thought you were referring to Buttonwillow as LA (since its about 2 hours away), and although I did live in LA (the state) for 6 years growing up - I now live in LA (the city).  Offer still stands if you need drivers for Cali.

squirrelly_z600 wrote:
GnomeFabTech wrote:

...reward teams that consistently do well but have never been quite good enough to win.

"First Loser Award"  tongue

http://gabrielutasi.com/080707.first_loser.gif

They also need a DLBF award! (dead last but finished) with points) and a spear carrier award for the gentleman exactly in the middle of the pack.. (similar points)..
Let's reward medicority !!!!!!

sergio wrote:
doctawife wrote:

I'll be driving the TetanusNeon at NPR, but there is that happy driver portability rule...  smile

But given your last message (that I didn't quote), y'all won't need me - yer LA bound!  I expect to see you charging up my rear view mirror on every straight, just like you always do.  And I expect that I'll have my usual worry that, "Lemons come and Lemons go, but nothing blows up like a SHO!"

Anyhoodle, Eyesore (if they were to come to NPR, which they aren't scheduled to do) would beat me in the corners.  Y'all kick my pants in the straights.  Therefore, I wish I could spectate Miami, just to see what happens.

Damn work!  (And go Texas!)

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

24 (edited by sergio 2010-11-04 04:52 AM)

We got enough drivers now. So we are set driver wise. The car? It's kinda good. No telling what's gonna blow next. Since we started racing this car we've put about 10k miles on it, most racing, the rest getting to and from the track.I'm more worried about the penalty laps we'll get from the Holy Ones. They gave us 1 penalty lap at Chicago for not getting a residual. Why do we need a residual when we did get one they gave us a $499.98 value. Anyway if for some reason we are out of the points you and your hubby are welcome to drive the car if you want. It's really an easy car to drive 10/10ths.

Team Ziptie came up with that SHO saying. They would know about blowing up engines, seems like it's one per race.

sergio wrote:

They gave us 1 penalty lap at Chicago for not getting a residual. Why do we need a residual when we did get one they gave us a $499.98 value.

Teams that got residual values before the race make the BS Inspection go more quickly and easily. It takes one email to get a residual value, so it pisses us off when former race winners don't bother to take the 60 seconds to write that email.