Re: Chump car kill switch location Lemons legal?

A trans tunnel mounted switch may be legal but is not ideal if someone needs to kill the motor and or fuel pump to drag you out of your burning crapheap.  Burning to death sucks.

The battery cable in our E30, like most BMWs, runs up the passenger side.  I mounted the kill switch to a bracket welded to the dash bar and passenger side a pillar bar where it is easily reach from the outside.  I then ran a bicycle brake cable over to the a pillar on the driver side within easy reach of both the driver and a corner worker outside the car.  I welded washers along the dash bar to guide the cable housing and made a pull by looping the cable with a tiny shaft collar.  The pull loop was painted red and put electrical kill stickers on each side of the car.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Same here on the dual switches, but our inside, center mounted switch is a simple toggle rather than a traditional kill switch.  The Chump staff OK'd it as long as it kills everything as is properly marked.

So a DPST toggle that cuts power to the ignition coil and elec fuel pump?
I like that, and it saves running more hi-amperage welding cable around the inside of the car.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

Same here on the dual switches, but our inside, center mounted switch is a simple toggle rather than a traditional kill switch.  The Chump staff OK'd it as long as it kills everything as is properly marked.

So a DPST toggle that cuts power to the ignition coil and elec fuel pump?
I like that, and it saves running more hi-amperage welding cable around the inside of the car.

Yes, but we have a mechanical fuel pump, so we have one less thing to worry about.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

29 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2010-11-20 06:26 PM)

I helped a bud redo a car recently where the kill switch was mounted on the hood. When I first saw it, all I could think was 1) the driver can't reach it 2) if the car's upside down it's inaccessible to emergency personnel 3) in the aforementioned upside down scenario it's very possible to crush the switch so it can't be turned. None of that is good.

I like the idea of the driver (who is always first on the scene in any crash big_smile ) to be able to quickly kill electrical power. So, like an earlier poster, we put ours (and his) between the A pillar and the dash, that way the driver can get to it and it won't get crushed in a rollover. We ran a T handle cable to the right side of the car, clearly marked of course, so emergency personnel can find it quickly as well.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

We found a accessible spot on the cowl for a second switch.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Ours is also our ignition switch, being on it activates the ECU, fuel pump (runs constant when ignition is on), and the other accessories. I just wired the accessory lead and ignition power leads to be always on, makes life easy and lighter to have one switch for everything!

When you get in, you sit down, furthest left is the kill switch, next to that is the starter button, and next to that is the steering wheel. Ergonomic, simple, and easy to use. Everything even is labelled.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

The cowl position did not work, the hood overlapped the switch so I welded a tab and mounted a second switch in the area of the passenger wing window, then put a sticker, painted everything red and marked where off is.

Good enough?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!