Topic: Need seat suggestions - Extra large driver

We're trying to entice our crew chief into driving. Here's the rub. He's a giant of a man.  6'4" and minimum 350 lbs.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a drivers seat arrangment that can work for him as well as your average 5'10" 180 lb. driver?

Thanks,
Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Re: Need seat suggestions - Extra large driver

We've enjoyed our Corbeau seat.  I'm not quite that large, but our sizes range from 5'5 to 6'2 and 130 to 260 pounds.  They're comfy, have a wide variety of sizes, and are reasonably priced.

http://www.corbeau.com/

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Corbeau wide is an option.

We decided to take some measurements and get a kirkey seat that would fit, and put it on sliders. Kirkey has a seat to 21" wide.  I have seen some teams make ghetto versions of seat inserts like you see in some higher series.

Spud, are you running a seat on the stock VW sliders still?

If yes, I don't have to tell you that it takes 5 seconds to yank the seat all the way forward off the track, and about 45 seconds to put another (bigger) seat in& thread the belts back into their slots.

Might be better than trying to find a magic seat that can accommodate such differing sizes.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

The Crap to the Future Car at T-hill for Broken had a full size driver-- they completely swapped out the seat for him. If you're not going for the overall win, the missed time isn't a big deal.

And there's nothing saying you must have a race seat-- but you do need a means of securing all the belts properly, and you'll need to weld up the recline mechanism and brace the back safely.

I've got some Citroen front seats you can have...

When you find a seat that's big enough, you might want to look into making inserts for your smaller drivers. I reckon you could make some up by taking some of that expanding foam crap, filling and sealing a bag of it, and then sitting your driver in it before it starts to set up (and then feeding and watering the driver while it hardens around him, cocooning him into the seat). When it's set up, pull the driver and trim the foam as necessary.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

When you find a seat that's big enough, you might want to look into making inserts for your smaller drivers. I reckon you could make some up by taking some of that expanding foam crap, filling and sealing a bag of it, and then sitting your driver in it before it starts to set up (and then feeding and watering the driver while it hardens around him, cocooning him into the seat). When it's set up, pull the driver and trim the foam as necessary.

I absolutely LOVE that plan.  That is fantastic.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Spank wrote:

The Crap to the Future Car at T-hill for Broken had a full size driver-- they completely swapped out the seat for him. If you're not going for the overall win, the missed time isn't a big deal.

It was Arse-Sweat-a-Palooza in August.

I watched the first driver change, mouth agape. The big guy crawls out the passenger side door (faster) and three guys descend on the car with wrenches. Big seat out, average seat installed.

A better solution would be to get seat that fits the big guy with minimal padding, and then make inserts for each driver. Go rent Le Mans (the movie with Steve McQueen) and watch them change seat pads at the driver changes. That's what you want to build. Cotton sheeting for the front and back and some fire resistant expanding foam in between. Line the seat and the driver with plastic so they don't stick when  molding

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

komododave wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

We tried doing exactly that and it didn't work...at all.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The guys pitting next to us did the insert for their car and it worked pretty well for them.  Our drivers range for 5'10" to 6'4" but fortunately width wise we were able to use the non wide corbeau.  It was also really comfy.

I know Corbeau has a good selection of rails.  They had them for our Cutlass Ciera, athough since we waited until after we were accepted to buy the seat we really didn't want to wait the 6-8 weeks for them to build the rails, also not sure what height they would have been since we had to lower the seat quite a bit from stock so the tall guy would be safely below the cage.  We just found a spot where I  (5'10" guy) could reach the pedals and see fine and to tall guy could fit and not be uncomfortable. 

Cage clearance is the thing you also have to think about we assumed it would be fine originally until we mounted the seat since the race seat is much closer to straight up than the seats that came with the car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Our biggest guy is about 6' 300lbs.....and my "wide" Racetech is uncomfortable for him....just too tight in the hips.....in his racecar he went with a custom Kirkey that I think is 17.5" wide in the hips vs 16.5 on my Racetech.....  I'm 6-1 195lbs and I can fit in normal Racetechs, but at 14.5" in the hips, its quite snug!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

We have 5'7 and 6'3 drivers and the only seat we've found that works for the tall guy is the Sparco Evo 2.  It's the seat you see in the Reasonably Priced Car.

My drivers over the years have ranged from a petite female to several tall gorillas. Height range from 5'6" to 6'8" and weight range from 110 to 270ish. We have a Kirkey Road Race Intermediate 17" seat and it's worked for pretty much everyone except one of the skinnier drivers, who used some cardboard to snug himself into the seat side-to-side.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

We have a Kirkey Road Race Intermediate 17" seat and it's worked for pretty much everyone except one of the skinnier drivers, who used some *SFI-rated* cardboard to snug himself into the seat side-to-side.

Fixed.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

VKZ24 wrote:
komododave wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

We tried doing exactly that and it didn't work...at all.

So what was the failure mode? Sink through it? You may need to build some scaffolding under the driver's butt at and at his shoulder blades to prevent sinking through to the underlying seat. Of course, that's not necessary if you're not adjusting for height and just making side bolster inserts.

Team FinalGear

Here's a link to how the big teams accomplish seat inserts:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/docume … =TECH00005

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Oddly enough, the first of the two options is precisely what I described.

Team FinalGear

we have an 18" Kirkey Intermediate RR Seat. im 5'11 and over 300lbs. fits me like a glove. someone taller than that is only an issue where it's placed in the car. Mine's down really low to the point that I've had some drivers complain it's too low. for the most part though i find it quite comfy.

EyeMWing wrote:

Right Idea wrong method..  Foam expands too fast for him to insert himself.
Put a plastic garbage bag over the seat.. Have the smaller driver wear another plastic garbage bag. Smooth everything out No bunched up plastic..   Tell him to slide up to where the steering wheel is at the right distance and the pedals are each fully to the floor. now in the space between add expanding foam.
  Make sure the foam doesn't ever go to negative draft. Negative draft is when the foam wraps around the driver trapping him into the foam.  If it does carefully trim it away untill it no longer is trapping him and the foam can slide off.   
  It takes a few minutes to harden and remove driver.  Remove the foam insert, sand it smooth and remove about a 1/4 of an inch all the way around.  Make sure the seat belt holes are there and large enough.   Now put a layer of fiberglas  over the foam.. if you start with Matt finish with cloth,  you'll want strong and smooth.
Foam by itself will quickly fall apart. You'll need the fiberglas.

I am 6 2 300+. We are running a Corbeau seat, had to spread the bottom out a little. I run it with the cushion out of the buttom.

250 GTO

Any of you fine posters have a clue as to whether the 'typical' cam lock 5/6 point harness can accommodate a 60" chest?  Are you aware of a website that lists such harness dimensions/specs?

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Saferacer appears to list the specs. For example:
http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro-6p … ductid=953

Team FinalGear

Ask and ye shall receive Lemony answers.  Thanks FinalGear!

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

I'm running a Kirkey intermediate road rae seat 18"  i'm 6'3 300 barrel chested no  Ass and my shortest driver is 5'7 180  and other drivers range from up to 6'8  . we got a munch of memory foam .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

25 (edited by DC Doug 2010-11-10 09:39 PM)

fabtoys wrote:

I'm running a Kirkey intermediate road rae seat 18"  i'm 6'3 300 barrel chested no  Ass and my shortest driver is 5'7 180  and other drivers range from up to 6'8  . we got a munch of memory foam .

But the real question is: how much have you been drinking tonight!

Fyi, thanks for your garbled post - informative enough that I'm now comfortable that our new Corbeau seat at 20" is going to be fine for our fat-assed team.