Topic: Freegan Lemons car idea...

Ok - I had a wacky idea for the 24Hrs of Lemons car -- do it in the style of Freegans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

Freegan is vegan taken to a whole new level - basically its people with dreadlocks who eat out of dumpsters because 1. Its good for the planet and 2. you never have to argue about who pays on the first date...and I'm always the first to suggest that other people become freegans, much in the same way I suggest other people drive hybrids, gas efficient cars, take the bus...etc...save more gas/meat for me...but I digress.

My idea is to run a Freegan Lemons team (perhaps with a Vanagon, so the team can be Freevanagon...).  The concept would be that you cannot purchase ANYTHING for the race...car would be donated, or found on side of road, (technically you can assume ownership of abandoned cars in california - so this would be a good way to do it)

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Title-to-a … ed-Vehicle

Or you could 'beg' for a free car. 

Tires would have to be used rubber that you got from other teams or the junk on the car.

I would use used oil from another car (perhaps a used synthetic from the guys who drive like grandmas and change oil at 3k intervals).

Safety:

Cage would be tricky -- if you could find someone converting their car from race-back-to-stock you could get a 'free bolt-in' cage that you could then weld into place...but you may have to actually buy the tubing and make a cage from scratch...but I think you could get a nasty used racing seat and a 5pt harness that was about to expire...but you would probably want to keep all safety from the freegan theme so that you don't become a dead freegan.

Brakes pads/rotors would be used parts -- again from those guys who throw away pads that have 35% life remaining just because its maint time.

The only thing you would REALLY have to buy is gas...unless you could send 1/2 your team out begging at the nearest gas station to the track.

The point is to race a car that ONLY costs the $1k entry fee....

Nutz or just dumb?

Re: Freegan Lemons car idea...

I like the idea, but the practice of freebie safety equipment (like brakes, tires, cutoff switch, fuel cell, exhaust) could endanger others on the track. If you want to go this route, I'd prefer to see the safety exempted from the freeness. [pet peeve-- folks who drive until their caliper pistons hit the rotors-- just asinine and inexcusable]

The other thing is free doesn't necessarily mean penalty-laps free. Lots of stories abound of free cars being handed over, but one still could be declared a "cheater" even if the cost was zero.

I'd rather you do an accelerated form of what Speedycop does (my brother suggested it to me at the Sears Pointless event and suggested calling the team "Lemons Concentrate"). Buy a car on craigslist on the way to the race and cage it/prep it at the track on Friday/Friday night. You guys resurrected a "cursed" car so why not make it a habit-- do it every race from scratch. Bonus if you let others pick the car out for you and you have no say*.

*I've been waiting for the judges to to do this to the 2x and 3x winners-- tell them what car they have to prepare and bring to the next race in order to gain entry.

3 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-11-02 10:54 AM)

Cool idea, but I think you should only freegan the racecar.  The things that count to the $500.

Free safety equip, tires, cage, brakes = I don't want to be on track w/ you.  And it's not because of the stinky dreadlocks.  It's 'cause I don't want your worn out stock Oldsmobile brakes plowing into my car.

Start with a post on local Craigslist and car BB's, telling exactly what you want: a free car that could be resurrected for an endurance race.  I'm guessing you'll have several to choose from.
Do it!

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Hell, I just scrapped an RX-7 shell. I'd have thrown in a junky motor and stock suspension for free to a Lemons team doing a Freegan theme.

Ok, get this and if you survive, then proceed with the rest of your idea.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/zip/2074149787.html

6 (edited by Mulry 2010-11-22 08:06 PM)

I like the "or ?". In case it disappears:

http://tarpblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sdclcapture.jpg

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.