Topic: bending the rules

Hi All

I’ve got a question about the residual value after a race. Say we had a pretty heavy, poor handling car. And then we spent a lot of money on the suspension, to make it, you know, safer for the other racers around us at the Laissez Les Crapheaps Roulez. The money we spent far exceeds the residual from our previous race.. Would you suggest:

a-    Try to make the parts look as dirty and ratty as possible and act indignant when accused of cheating?
b-    Bribe the judges outright?
c-    Brazenly forge receipts for less than their actual value?

Apropos of nothing at all, do the judges prefer single malt scotch or bourbon?

thanks

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

Re: bending the rules

All of the above. The more penalty laps you get, the better chance we have to beat you.

Remember, if you're not cheating, you're not trying. And if you're trying to win, you definitely have the Lemons spirit.

Also - when you get black flagged for going off, make sure to tell the judges that it was because you were trying to avoid contact. They love drivers that are so good they can avoid contact by leaving the track and coming back on.

If you somehow manage to not avoid contact and get black flagged, make sure you blame the other driver.

Also, if you have some SCCA or NASA racers on your team, they should point out how awesome they are and that those penalties wouldn't happen in "real" racing.

</badadvice>

Probably not the best question to ask on a forum where the judges hang out.  I am pretty sure they prefer scotch.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

D-don't ask how to cheat on forums frequented by the judges, thereby foiling your plan.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

I would have suggested not saying you did such a thing on here at all since now the other teams along with the judges are wise to your antics. Always keep your mouth shut, trust me. At our last race while Jay was inspecting our car he assumed we had a run of the mill Grand Prix till I stupidly blurted out "it's a GTP" which let him know we had a supercharger under the hood.

And people have tried repainting new suspension parts, it has yet to fool the judges.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

"And with those answers in his pocket, Olaaf disappeared from the Lemons board, never to be heard from again.  The end."  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

First, let's be sure you understand how residual works.  Your statement that what you spent "far exceeds residual value" makes me wonder.

If you have a residual value of $150, that doesn't mean that you have $150 to spend.  It means that your car has been valued at $150 and you have the remainder of $500 to spend... $500-150 = $350.  If you were looking at it wrong, does that help any?

If not, I'd go with option C.  But, if your car is a big ol' heavy POS, they're probably never going to look at your receipts, anyway.  (you being able to say "yes, we put some better shocks on since the last race, they cost us $xx from a lower mileage car at the salvage yard, I have the receipt if you'd like to see it" without fumbling all over yourself could be all you need)

Don't make your suspension TOO good or they're going to start questioning it.  Not talking about how your parts look (though NEW parts will stand out... and judges are smart enough to look through any dirt or grime that you might add to them), but how they feel.  Is your big heavy car suddenly uber-stiff?  They'll notice.  They'll ask questions.

Your answer should NOT be that you improved the suspension to make the car safer for other competitors.  That line of BS won't fly, even though there might be a modicum of truth to it.  Just be honest, your car handled like crap and you threw some parts at it to make it better.  If you can at least make it appear that those parts fit within your budget, that's even better.

From the judge's perspective, we're all cheating.  They expect it.  They accept it within reason.  How much you get away with depends on how much you TRY to get away with and how much you insult the judges with your lies, or even with truths that are perceived as lies.  Like so many things in life, it's all about appearances.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Almost all cars get the "push" from at least one judge, to see how stiff the suspension is.

If your car rebounds and bounces a few times, they laugh and send you on your way.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

what car is this again? cause if it is something redonkulous like caddy, who cares. if on the other hand, it is a panther, you better bribe in cold hard cash. $2 for every $1 over budget

Judge Scott loves die casts.

if you were in an E30 and got some upgrades to handling, just bring some KY. you're screwed

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hi All

Thanks very much for the advice. There isn’t a chance of us winning, so nobody should here worry about that. I think we’ll compromise and keep some of the existing parts keeping us much closer to our residual value, and use them on the next race if we don’t destroy the car.

One last question, if we do get BS laps on this one and our car makes it to the next race- do we have a clean slate, as it were?

<Sarcasm> I appreciate all the advice </Sarcasm>, in this flame free forum especially you, zachreligious.

Thanks again

BS and finish position should be taken into consideration when determining your residual value.  If you get 100 laps, don't expect to get a less than $500 residual unless you car is a complete and total pile of crap that needs a bunch of new parts just to get back to the track again.

There's a thread somewhere around here discussing that very topic.

IF your cheater parts and penalty laps should happen to be overlooked in determining your residual value, it is entirely possible that you could have some trouble getting through judging with a clean slate at the next race.  Judges always reserve the right to change their mind.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I don't think anybody is flaming you, and how do you have a residual value if you are a newcomer?

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

olaaf wrote:

<Sarcasm> I appreciate all the advice </Sarcasm>, in this flame free forum especially you, zachreligious.

I thought it was pretty obvious my reply was tounge-in-cheek. It's pretty bold of you to come onto the forum and ask how to get away with cheating - and expect anything but funny / sarcastic responses.

Seriously, the real cheaters here aren't going to tell you how to get away with it, and the rest of us don't want to have to race against cheaters.

Having said that, I've seen a lot of BS inspections. Putting some effort into hiding the stuff, forging paperwork, etc...

None of that can hurt - the judges at least appreciate that you respect the process. The absolute worst thing you can do is bring a car that isn't documented with shiny new parts and no bribe.

So even though most of my response was not serious - you should definitely try everything you can. If the car is truly bad even with the upgrades, you might even get away with it. Probably not, but maybe.

But if you aren't trying to win, none of it matters - take your laps and go out and have a great time on the race track. That's actually one of the best things about BS inspection - in most other racing, if your car doesn't qualify you don't even get to race. In Lemons, you just don't get to win, but you are still welcome to join the madness.

Hi Zach

You are right, your reply was pretty funny, and i was asking some dumb questions.

sorry about the sarcastic response. we were in NL last year and only survived 7 hours till we broke down, but it was 7 hours of only getting passed, and we spent so much on the roll cage and safety equip we didn't have the heart to ditch the car.

your viewpoint about taking the BS laps and not caring is actually right on, since we won't win anyways...

thanks all

Suggestions:
Put twelve wings on it and all it Wingo - make sure you can operate them like venetian blinds.
Put treadwear 500 or great tires on it - better if they are whitewalls.
Extend the nose two feet with fake shark teeth (maybe even real ones), add a huge dorsal fin and a tail, dress as lawyers.
Put a Tiki bar on the roof. Make certain the blender is fully functional and there are permanently mounted steps to access it.

If the above or something eve more creative doesn't appeal:
Remove the doors, trunk lid and anything else of value left and sell them - document it well.
Or do as everyone else said, Bribes, Fake documents (include pictures of handshake deal with obvious idiots), scuzzify the items and Bribe the Judges (wait I think I said that twice - oh, yeah, bribe the judges twice... AND expect to get no less than 10 laps anyhow. It will help (curious non-judge onlookers will look less hard) if you only have bone-ass stock instrumentation and only a pit-board for communication.

...or ignore all that, drop in a 600Hp P&M SBC and get claimed - although that's no longer in style - it's been done :-)

Loren wrote:

First, let's be sure you understand how residual works.  Your statement that what you spent "far exceeds residual value" makes me wonder.

If you have a residual value of $150, that doesn't mean that you have $150 to spend.  It means that your car has been valued at $150 and you have the remainder of $500 to spend... $500-150 = $350.  If you were looking at it wrong, does that help any?

If not, I'd go with option C.  But, if your car is a big ol' heavy POS, they're probably never going to look at your receipts, anyway.  (you being able to say "yes, we put some better shocks on since the last race, they cost us $xx from a lower mileage car at the salvage yard, I have the receipt if you'd like to see it" without fumbling all over yourself could be all you need)

Don't make your suspension TOO good or they're going to start questioning it.  Not talking about how your parts look (though NEW parts will stand out... and judges are smart enough to look through any dirt or grime that you might add to them), but how they feel.  Is your big heavy car suddenly uber-stiff?  They'll notice.  They'll ask questions.

Your answer should NOT be that you improved the suspension to make the car safer for other competitors.  That line of BS won't fly, even though there might be a modicum of truth to it.  Just be honest, your car handled like crap and you threw some parts at it to make it better.  If you can at least make it appear that those parts fit within your budget, that's even better.

From the judge's perspective, we're all cheating.  They expect it.  They accept it within reason.  How much you get away with depends on how much you TRY to get away with and how much you insult the judges with your lies, or even with truths that are perceived as lies.  Like so many things in life, it's all about appearances.

I have a night mare about the possibliity of winning..  (Yeh!  like a 34 year old  Free Jaguar that's ghetto charged  would have a chance in hell no matter how much I cheated)  I suppose stranger things have happened.  Is it possible to sign up non-contende?  I'd hate to put all the work into the car needed to put it on the track only to generate the ire of those running for season long prizes etc..
My real goal would be to compete for the nonexistant prize of either DLBF (dead last but finished) or Spear Carrier for the guy who finishes exactly in the middle..
HMM it sounds like I should spend some time making trophies smile

"I have a night mare about the possibliity of winning..  (Yeh!  like a 34 year old  Free Jaguar that's ghetto charged  would have a chance in hell no matter how much I cheated)  I suppose stranger things have happened.  Is it possible to sign up non-contende?  I'd hate to put all the work into the car needed to put it on the track only to generate the ire of those running for season long prizes etc..
My real goal would be to compete for the nonexistant prize of either DLBF (dead last but finished) or Spear Carrier for the guy who finishes exactly in the middle..
HMM it sounds like I should spend some time making trophies"

Dont worry about it.... Is that Jag getting built or not?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

18 (edited by OMGuar 2010-11-06 06:48 AM)

Team Infinniti wrote:

"I have a night mare about the possibliity of winning..  (Yeh!  like a 34 year old  Free Jaguar that's ghetto charged  would have a chance in hell no matter how much I cheated)  I suppose stranger things have happened.  Is it possible to sign up non-contende?  I'd hate to put all the work into the car needed to put it on the track only to generate the ire of those running for season long prizes etc..
HMM it sounds like I should spend some time making trophies"

Dont worry about it.... Is that Jag getting built or not?

I work on it all of my spare time  I'm planning on it being finished for the Brainerd race.. (you know about plans though.. :0=)

Brainerd, MN?

cheat flagarantly! if you have a malaise-era lincoln continental it won't matter. If you have something less boat-like, just spend twice as much time on making a KICK-ASS theme and theme-related bribes. We had no reason to need to bribe anyone @ Summit but I walked up to Jay & Jonny with a pan full of HUGE-ASS Turkey legs (we rock a Viking theme smile) and they were like 'holy shit' Which i think is just as much fun as racing smile

As I always say, there's cheating and then there's effective cheating. A car we like and a good theme will make things a lot easier on you.

And, to answer your bribe booze question, I prefer good bourbon and Judge Jonny (who will be at the New Orleans race) generally prefers single-malt.

However, my liquor cabinet is very well-stocked with whiskey of all sorts. Having just gone out for Hungarian food last night, I've realized that I have absolutely zero Eastern/Central European-style fruit brandy in stock. No cherry brandy, no slivovice, no rakia! Hint, hint.

Phil, you make it so easy on people!

It's a wonder you have to give out any penalty laps at all.  And yet... you do.

Judge Phil wrote:

And, to answer your bribe booze question, I prefer good bourbon and Judge Jonny (who will be at the New Orleans race) generally prefers single-malt.

Jonny and Phil. How could we be soooo lucky!!!!

Sort of stealing the topic - but what can you do to a drum-brake beetle with a 1600dp pancake to make it cheaty?

replace it with a porsche gt3 RS, nobody could tell the difference without diagnostic equipment.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!