Topic: Newbie from SoCal

Hi there! This seems like quite a friendly and helpful bunch.

I've known of Lemons for quite a while, but haven't yet mustered the courage (and, I guess, the $$$) to actually go out and race. I'm more of a two-wheel kind of monkey, but have also been an avid reader of Car and Driver for the past 30 years - which is where I first heard of this crazy band.

I actually met Jay Lamm a couple of weeks ago, and he seems a super guy, laid back but, at the same time, passionate about this deal.

Anyway, I'll be lurking out here, trying to learn as much as I can about this whole thing. I would like to make a documentary about this type of happening, and I'd love to hear some of the more interesting stories, both on and off the track.

I'm based in the Los Angeles area, and I know there will be a few races in California. I wonder if you guys know of any teams in this area that are quirky, or that have a special human element, or anything else that might set them apart, either during the races or outside of them.

Either way, I'll stay around and try to soak up as much info as possible. I find this phenomenon fascinating, and I want to get close, and figure out what makes you guys tick, as it were.

Cheers,
BK

Re: Newbie from SoCal

Welcome, BK!

I think that you'll be hard-pressed to find a team that isn't quirky or doesn't have a great story to tell about the way they found and built their car and team.  There are several teams in the LA area and I'm pretty sure that most of them will be at the Buttonwillow event.  You're planning on going, right?

I'd be interested to see a documentary make it to production!  There have been several proposed, but they never seem to make it all the way through, that I've seen anyway.

You're more than welcome to swing by our pits at Buttonwillow.  We'll answer any of your questions to the best of our ability.

In general, what makes us tick is a lack of pride, reasoning power and self preservation.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Going to buttonwillow will probalby be your best start to your project.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/arsefreeze2010.aspx

Although you should be warned, actually going and seeing these event often pushes the sane and rational over the edge and causes them to build their own teams and enter these events.  Mind you it would work well in the documentary since you can show your own build as part of it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

@bacon (can I call you "bacon"?),
Thanks so much for the prompt and warm reply!
I will most certainly attend the December event in Buttonwillow - wouldn't miss it. And thanks for the invitation to the pits, I'll make sure to bring some refreshments.

@BoB: LOL, I was afraid someone would point that out to me...

Thanks all,
BK

Blaque - Team-ing with bad ideas is, well, just that.
Spank is an interesting follow, too.
Anyone that brings on a majorily body-work mod'd car must be hoopty or unemployed, so there' that too.
Engine-graft wingnuts are usually under a car and greasy.
And then the usual casts - Eyesore et al with a practically professional approach.

come to Buttonwillow - or better come to Sacramento and help me build the beetle...

Come see it from the inside! There's a seat in the sChitroen still open... I'm in Escondido if you want to come take it for a spin around the block before deciding.

crazymike wrote:

And then the usual casts - Eyesore et al with a practically professional approach.

I can't tell if I'm being insulted or not...

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing

wrappedinbacon wrote:
crazymike wrote:

Cheater Miata!!!!   Is that better? tongue

squirrelly_z600 wrote:
wrappedinbacon wrote:
crazymike wrote:

Cheater Miata!!!!   Is that better? tongue

Thank you!  I know that one.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing

Blague wrote:

Hi there! This seems like quite a friendly and helpful bunch.

I've known of Lemons for quite a while, but haven't yet mustered the courage (and, I guess, the $$$) to actually go out and race. I'm more of a two-wheel kind of monkey, but have also been an avid reader of Car and Driver for the past 30 years - which is where I first heard of this crazy band.

I actually met Jay Lamm a couple of weeks ago, and he seems a super guy, laid back but, at the same time, passionate about this deal.

Anyway, I'll be lurking out here, trying to learn as much as I can about this whole thing. I would like to make a documentary about this type of happening, and I'd love to hear some of the more interesting stories, both on and off the track.

I'm based in the Los Angeles area, and I know there will be a few races in California. I wonder if you guys know of any teams in this area that are quirky, or that have a special human element, or anything else that might set them apart, either during the races or outside of them.

Either way, I'll stay around and try to soak up as much info as possible. I find this phenomenon fascinating, and I want to get close, and figure out what makes you guys tick, as it were.

Cheers,
BK

It's likely far better to join someone's team than attempt your first event on your own.. The sole exception is if you are a recent escapee from someplace that dresses people in really long sleeved shirts that buckle the arms around back..
  Vague disconnected stares and a tendency to drule around old junk cars also qualifies you to start your own team..

+1

My team didn't get our $#!+ together to make it to the first race we paid for, but I got a fill-in spot on Mulry's team. I learned an immense amount that helped us when we went to MAM.

EriktheAwful wrote:

+1

My team didn't get our $#!+ together to make it to the first race we paid for, but I got a fill-in spot on Mulry's team. I learned an immense amount that helped us when we went to MAM.

for racing joining another team is easier, but for the movie the sense of possible failure adds to the overall drama.  Then again I really enjoyed Plane Crazy so I might not be the best to listen to.

On a side note some teams make their first race some don't so its not impossible to do it, its just finding the right car with the skills of the people you have to work on it and how long you have to build it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Wow - I'm overwhelmed. I stay away for a measly couple of weeks to attend to family and Thanksgiving holiday and all kinds of offers crop up! This is right up my alley!
Again, thanks a lot, guys, for the warm welcome.
As it happens, we'll be going to the Buttonwillow race (yipee!) We'll have a crew of three. Where do you all stay when you race there?

Cheers,
BK

PS: thanks so much for your offers, Spank and Crazymike - we'll stick with getting to know you all and shooting for the time being...

Blague wrote:

As it happens, we'll be going to the Buttonwillow race (yipee!) We'll have a crew of three. Where do you all stay when you race there?

Choice 1: Bring your own RV or trailer.   It is going to be cold: overnight lows in the 30's.

Choice 2: Motel in "Buttonwillow".   Not in the town itself, but at the highway 58 exit (Exit 257) on I-5, about ten miles south of the track.   There are four or five choices, along with food and fuel.   For more details, go to http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ and click on "Food/Hotels".

Choice 3: Motel or Hotel in Bakersfield -- follow the same link.   Further away, but fancier digs.

According to Google Maps, there are also some motels at the highway 46 exit (Exit 278), about ten miles north of the track, but I've never been there.

Personally, I'm staying at the Motel 6 at the highway 58 exit.   Many of the SCCA racers stay at the "upscale" Super 8 motel down the street, but I'm cheap.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

15 (edited by m610 2010-11-29 10:52 AM)

Choice 4: Tent on the pavement, next to the car.

Choice 5: Sleeping bag on the ground, next to the car. That will be me, unless it rains, then I'll haul out my bivy sack.

There are actually two Motel 6s at the Hwy 58 exit now. The one at the north end of the street (cheapest), and one further south which I think used to be a Travelodge.

My team is cheap, so that's where we're staying (except for the few guys who are bringing their travel trailer - unfortunately that's not big enough for the 15+ people on our team).

Last year at Arse Sweat, on Friday night we set up camp on the Motel 6 lawn with lawn chairs and coolers full of beer, heh. I don't foresee us doing that this time around, though.

Camping outside? You're nuts, but then again there are plenty of mentally questionable people at this race.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

You're nuts, but then again there are plenty of mentally questionable people at this race.

Name one who isn't.   :-)

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

m610 wrote:

Choice 4: Tent on the pavement, next to the car.

Choice 5: Sleeping bag on the ground, next to the car. That will be me, unless it rains, then I'll haul out my bivy sack.

Choice 6: Under the car on the creeper, wrench in hand, pretending to vie for the heroic fix trophy. Sleep is for sissies.

pretending to vie for heroic fix? Poser!

if I'm in for the cheap, I have my cot and sleeping bag, there's plenty of room in the trailer when there's no car in it smile

It's warm under the car for at least an hour after it blows up. Hell, it could stay warm all night if you don't put the fire out.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

21 (edited by Blague 2010-11-30 11:56 AM)

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
I'll post again tomorrow or Thursday, once we know our plans - would it be too much to ask to request a helping hand as to get around at the track, etc., once we're there?

TIA,
BK

Guys, we'll be at Buttonwillow this weekend! We'll have the Dynamic Duo of the two Alexes, in action with all the gear to capture the action.
Unfortunately, I had to leave L.A. for another assignment, but I look forward to meeting some of you real soon.
Kyle, I'll take you up on the offer to visit you at the pits. Who should we ask for - or, more precisely, what should they be looking for?

TIA,
BK