1 (edited by OMGuar 2010-11-11 06:08 AM)

Topic: alternative fuels?

May I use Ethanol instead of gasolene? Oops it's gasahol since it's required to have gasolene in it to denature it or you pay alcohol tax on it..
  (It's cheaper and has a 114 octane)

Re: alternative fuels?

I don't think there are any requirements on what fuel to use. I've seen some teams use diesel and others using race gas.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Street legal alt fuels, like E85 & biodiesel, have been used before in Lemons, no problem.

Dunno if the safety crew would accept anything more exotic(incediary), like nitromethanol or hydrazine...

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

The nearly invisible flame in alcohol fires means the safety crews need special equipment and training.  Anything with significant amounts of alcohol probably requires permission from the track.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

If anybody shows up with hydrazine I'm packing up and going home. It's like carrying around an armed WMD. Don't even think about it.

ask jay / nick directly in email. also call the track and ask them if they have the means to control it.
ECR was OK with alternates, as long as they knew ahead of time.
ask nick@24hoursoflemons

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

EriktheAwful wrote:

If anybody shows up with hydrazine I'm packing up and going home. It's like carrying around an armed WMD. Don't even think about it.

No no, hydrazine and NTO are great stuff. No toxic products once its burned, just nitrogen and water. its only the unburned stuff that's bad for you.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

I'm not sure why you would want to there isn't that much to gain H.P. wise in a stock car. Also it takes 2x as much alcohol to run than gasoline so you fuel mileage will go to crap. Also all that octane doesnt really help lower compression motors but if you insist on running it you need to get some dyno time but I think you would be suprised at the outcome. Just my 2 cents

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Also make sure you document all the parts you need to replace to run your car on whatever fuel you go with, since they will be part of your build budget.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

There was a civic that ran E85 and put a huge corn cob on their roof as part of the theme. I know turbocharged cars can take advantage of ethanol but power is so detrimental for endurance racing.

The only positive I see is the cooling properties that ethanol has but the fuel mileage trade off is so bad I don't see it as a net gain.  Plain jane 87 from the pump is most likely the best option.

steve wrote:

I'm not sure why you would want to there isn't that much to gain H.P. wise in a stock car. Also it takes 2x as much alcohol to run than gasoline so you fuel mileage will go to crap. Also all that octane doesnt really help lower compression motors but if you insist on running it you need to get some dyno time but I think you would be suprised at the outcome. Just my 2 cents

Well I want to make doubly sure that I can't finish a race.. so I've decided I'm going to ghetto charge the Jag V12
  I can buy junkyard turbo's and intercoolers for $75.00 each.. That's $150.00 and  aftermarket FMU's (used they sell for about $35.00-45, new they are only $85.00)   will allow me to enrich the fueling enough to take advantage of the boost..
  114 octane will keep the stock compression (7.8-1) alive
I'll need bigger injectors..  Stock is 38#'s/hr of which 24 is required to make the stock 300 hp. So If I switch to the 50#'s/hr injectors from the cars donating the turbo's I'll have plenty of ability to feed the ethanol..
There are a few other freebie things to do, ask me and I'll fill you in..
The cool thing is unlike most cars the injection system on a early  Jaguar doesn't work with a computer chip.. It's really easy to change.

BoB wrote:

Also make sure you document all the parts you need to replace to run your car on whatever fuel you go with, since they will be part of your build budget.

Well the stock injectors are 38#'s hr. of which 24#'s/hr is required to make the stock 300HP.   swap them with bigger 50#'s hr. injectors and I'll actually put a few dollars in the kitty..
  It's a matter of perception.. people will pay more for Jaguar injectors than cheaper cars injectors..
The really cool thing is early Jaguars  Fuel injection ECU's aren't electronic. there isn't a computer chip in them..  Adjusting them to longer dwell time on the injector is really straight forward..
There is a real advantage of knowing a car extremely well.

TeamDFL wrote:

The nearly invisible flame in alcohol fires means the safety crews need special equipment and training.  Anything with significant amounts of alcohol probably requires permission from the track.

Well Since I don't want to pay alcohol tax on ethanol I'll have to denature it at the plant.. that means dumping the required amount of Gasolene into it to make it legally denatured.  So it will burn visably just like the gas that has 10% ethanol in it..  Or E85 that is 85% ethanol..
Indy cars  get a special exemption to burn pure ethanol at the track   (Otherwise alcohol taxes would be put on it and it would be like burning Jack Daniels.. except Jack Daniels is only 80 proof and ethanol  is 200 proof.) 

There are several reasons to use ethanol;
First it's 114 octane..
second is extremely clean burning.
third it runs really cool.
Fourth,  If you buy it direct from the plant that makes it it costs around a dollar a gallon.   Not $3.00 a gallon..
Now what do you do to an engine that's really cheap, needs Higher octane & cooler charge?

OMGuar wrote:

Well Since I don't want to pay alcohol tax on ethanol I'll have to denature it at the plant.. that means dumping the required amount of Gasolene into it to make it legally denatured.  So it will burn visably just like the gas that has 10% ethanol in it..  Or E85 that is 85% ethanol..

The gasoline in E85 makes the fire more visible than pure alcohol but it is not as visible as E10/pure gasoline.  Also, the gasoline burns off more quickly than the alcohol resulting in decreasing flame visibility as the fire burns.

http://www.google.com/#q=e85+fire+flame+visibility

Check with Jay before showing up at the track with fuel that contains a significant amount of alcohol.

"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."

CarRacer wrote:

There was a civic that ran E85 and put a huge corn cob on their roof as part of the theme. I know turbocharged cars can take advantage of ethanol but power is so detrimental for endurance racing.

The only positive I see is the cooling properties that ethanol has but the fuel mileage trade off is so bad I don't see it as a net gain.  Plain jane 87 from the pump is most likely the best option.

I suspect that either you've fallen for  the unreliability myth of turbos or haven't thought why turbos will make the engine live longer..
The Million mile engines ,Cummins big cam &Cat3406 are both turbocharged.. They rely on the boost pressure of the turbo to keep the engine running long past when a normally asperated engine would expire..
  First the reason turbo's have a poor reliability record is because racers want more,  and thus it's extremely easy to cross the line between enough and too much.
second untill Mark Donahue spent time at the Porsche facility to map the exact fuel requirements there was too much guess work involved in turbo's fuel requirments for any degree of reliability..
Fortunetly Mark Donahue was a fan of history and read the engineering data from the development of the turbocharged engine used in the Allison engine of the late 30's used in the famous P39. They developed the process where all modern turbo engines are fuel mapped.. 
  Today it's pretty easy with Computers.. the variables are entered into a a program and fuel requirements are  quickly printed out.. after that it is simple in early Jaguars to provide sufficent fuel that the engine will never go lean.. far simplier for a luddite like me than it would be to remap a computer program. 
The sweet part of all of this is the highest strain on an engine is during the intake cycle. that's when the engine is litterly trying to pull itself apart  where bearing loads are at the highest (yes far higher than during the power stroke)   plus during the power stroke the engine is loaded in the direction of the designed load (During the intake on noramla asperation engines  all that holds the engine together is the strength of the rod bolts.  In a turbo engine the loading is opposite, in the direction of strength, due to the pressure of the charge forcing the piston down.. (Normally asperated the suction is pulling the piston/rod apart)

TeamDFL wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

The gasoline in E85 makes the fire more visible than pure alcohol but it is not as visible as E10/pure gasoline.  Also, the gasoline burns off more quickly than the alcohol resulting in decreasing flame visibility as the fire burns.

http://www.google.com/#q=e85+fire+flame+visibility

Check with Jay before showing up at the track with fuel that contains a significant amount of alcohol.

I'm glad to see that at least someone has done some research on the subject even if it is superfical and incomplete as my engineering professor would write in big red letters across my papers.. Congradualtions, well done. Well stated and clearly not simply an opinion..
  What is not said is what actaully happens in a fire in the real world.. Unlike a labratory dish where flame properties can be analized for color content, fire in the real world is a messy thing..  flame (any flame, regardless of the source) travels along various parts of the car and starts the rest of the car burning as well.  paint, bondo, rubber junk etc. all burn once flame comes in contact with them and that debris adds to the visibility of the fire. If you've seen the fires at Indy (foretunely very few over the last years,  pure alcohol doesn't burn colorless and smokeless. Oil, paint rubber etc. all increase it's visability..
  That is why when E85 was made a street legal fuel that very subject was clearly covered in the paperwork authorizing it.. The conclusions arrived at relected that sort of research..
Since E85 is already accepted I can race with only 15% gasolene.. all it does is raise the cost of the fuel by the cost of the base stock (15% that is 3 times as expensive as ethanol) 
  There is a common way to increase visability of even pure Alcohol.. with the simple addition of say a pint of upper cylinder lube oil the flams become more visable than even gasolene.
The reason that isn't done is because nobody can agree on the exact specs of upper cylinder  lube.  It would be extrely easy to add a supliment that would contain power boosting ingrediants.

OMGuar,
I like you. You are weird and knowledgeable. If you help others at the track as much as you talk here, you will be in line for the Lemons Competitor of the Year Award, but you really need to be asking permission for a lot of these things from Nick / Jay. When you get your answers, post them here so we can all benefit.

John

P.S. What is your real name?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

OMGuar wrote:
CarRacer wrote:

I suspect that either you've fallen for  the unreliability myth of turbos or haven't thought why turbos will make the engine live longer..
The Million mile engines ,Cummins big cam &Cat3406 are both turbocharged.. They rely on the boost pressure of the turbo to keep the engine running long past when a normally asperated engine would expire..

I suspect you have no idea what you're talking about. I daily a turbocharged car and live in the heart of ethanol country. Like stated above, it's easy to talk in circles but a better idea to get a concrete answer from the promoters and then share that info. It'll help prevent any misconceptions about what is and isn't allowed.

19 (edited by TeamDFL 2010-11-12 08:21 AM)

OMGuar wrote:

Boost is meant to replace compression lost to leakdown due to engine wear?  I'm glad you edumacated us.

I look forward to the video of you setting Jay and the boys straight on all sorts of tech issues.  Don't forget to explain your engineering knowledge as it relates to cage design and fire safety.  Bring a lawyer buddy to intimidate them at BS inspection and during any trips to the penalty box.

EDIT:  Dear Lemons staff, please greenlight this team's application to any race.  I look forward reading about the penalty named for this participant.

We may have found a replacement for the Talk to Troy penalty...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

OMGuar wrote:

The sweet part of all of this is the highest strain on an engine is during the intake cycle. that's when the engine is litterly trying to pull itself apart  where bearing loads are at the highest (yes far higher than during the power stroke)   plus during the power stroke the engine is loaded in the direction of the designed load (During the intake on noramla asperation engines  all that holds the engine together is the strength of the rod bolts.  In a turbo engine the loading is opposite, in the direction of strength, due to the pressure of the charge forcing the piston down.. (Normally asperated the suction is pulling the piston/rod apart)

Sorry, you're wrong. No way to sugar coat it. Air is 14PSI at sea level, so a turbo car putting out 7 PSI of boost is a 1.5:1 precompression ratio. 1.5:1 vs an engine's compression stroke of anywhere from 8:1 all the way up to 12:1. Far more load is put on the engine in the compression stroke then the intake stroke. As for cranks and journals not being able to take a load in that direction, the crank is machined to be symmetrical. Otherwise, there would be great friction in any motor.

Turbo's can be reliable, but putting a turbo on an engine that was mass produced with bottom dollar in mind is not reliable. Manufactures use head gaskets, studs, and torque with the greatest profit per engine possible. That is why warranties are void on cars if you add any performance parts. Jag didn't make the car for you to change it.

22 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-11-12 09:20 AM)

They rely on the boost pressure of the turbo to keep the engine running long past when a normally asperated engine would expire.

A turbocharged engine is still NA until it gets up enough rpm to produce boost. So how would a turbocharger help a worn engine start? Or are you saying it keeps them producing enough power for the job long after a NA engine would need rebuilt?

CarRacer wrote:
OMGuar wrote:
CarRacer wrote:

I suspect you have no idea what you're talking about. I daily a turbocharged car and live in the heart of ethanol country. Like stated above, it's easy to talk in circles but a better idea to get a concrete answer from the promoters and then share that info. It'll help prevent any misconceptions about what is and isn't allowed.

Well I guess you need to see things from a differant perspective..
First The Chance of a 34 year old car not known for reliability running in a race for 24 hours should have you rolling on the floor laughing..
Second if that's not enough, the chance of it finishing a 24 hour race with a ghetto charger system built from scrap  should cause you great glee.. snot blowing out your nose and tears flooding from your eyes..
Third most of the cars competeing get between 30-40 MPG driven normally.. the Jag V12 (early ones) got between 8-11 MPG 
Under racing conditions  while most competitors will be able to run about 2 hors that Jag will be in the pits every 40 minutes or so.. Cut that in half for ethanol and it would be in the pits every 20 minutes or so, maybe less if it actually made the full horspower the computer says it will.  So roughly speaking the car would have to make up  for 96 pit stops compared to 12 by most other cars..
  That's my secret.. I'll get them laughing so hard they will all fall off the race track and all I'll need to do is complete one lap..
  :0=)

OMGuar wrote:

I can buy junkyard turbo's and intercoolers for $75.00 each.. That's $150.00 and  aftermarket FMU's (used they sell for about $35.00-45, new they are only $85.00)   will allow me to enrich the fueling enough to take advantage of the boost..

hm,   let me work on some simple math here.

Used Jag = $400
2 junk yard turbos and intercooler =$150
Plumbing costs to connect all that together =$100
2 FMUs x 35 = $70
Transmission mods from previous e-mails $50
Cheater suspension mods = $150
Total = $820

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

Sorry, you're wrong. No way to sugar coat it. Air is 14PSI at sea level, so a turbo car putting out 7 PSI of boost is a 1.5:1 precompression ratio. 1.5:1 vs an engine's compression stroke of anywhere from 8:1 all the way up to 12:1. Far more load is put on the engine in the compression stroke then the intake stroke. As for cranks and journals not being able to take a load in that direction, the crank is machined to be symmetrical. Otherwise, there would be great friction in any motor.

Turbo's can be reliable, but putting a turbo on an engine that was mass produced with bottom dollar in mind is not reliable. Manufactures use head gaskets, studs, and torque with the greatest profit per engine possible. That is why warranties are void on cars if you add any performance parts. Jag didn't make the car for you to change it.

Well as I said  engines are designed for  the load under power and the only thing holding the engine together under intake is the con rod bolts..  Look at the size of them in comparison to the size of the connecting rod transmitting the power to the crankshaft.. '
   Aside from that I wish you would take a Jaguar V12 engine apart.. The block is hell built for stout.. In fact it looks a lot like a top fuel engine block that makes 5000 horspower. Same massive strength look.. The crankshaft is factory Nitrided.. Forged and not a casting.. Forged rods completely machined.. no raw castings.. 
The studs used to assemble the engine look like they werre designed for Formula 1 use instead of a street motor.  Long before ARP came up with their high strength steel bolts/studs/nuts  Jaguar was having them made by the same company that built bolts for the formula one engines..
  Each cylinder has 6 studs holding the head on.. not 4 or 5.
  Head gaskets are not an issue for Jaguars.. In fact if the engine doesn't overheat it will last an extremely long time..
IT does have a minor design flaw in it that is extremely easy to correct.. It's main flaw is the rubber hoses Jaguar use often fail. when they do water rushes out and without any water the temp sensor won't provide a warning that the engine is about to sieze..  The car is hauled in and the hose replaced.. Unfortunately the extreme heat probably loosened up a Valve seat or two.
  Take apart a V12 engine and I promise you, you won't see corners cut.. 
   Now before you get too serious please consider this..
  Most of the cars racing in Lemons get 30-40 MPG or so.. the Jaguar when it was new got 8-11 MPG.
  switch to ethnol and fuel usuage roughly doubles..
Right now most of the cars can run about 2 hours on a tank of gas.. The Jaguar would do well to be able to run 40 minutes.. switch to ethanol and we're talking about 20 minutes..  that would require something like 96 fuel stops in a 24 hour period.. Compared to 11 or12 or so? 
Let me ask you a question..
Would you take a 34 year old car not known for reliablity, ghetto charge it with scrap parts, change it's fuel to ethanol knowing you could be stopping for fuel nearly 100 times and expect to win the race?  smilesmile