Topic: Pepto Bismol in the Tranny.

Or maybe it's strawberry milkshake, but it is thick, pink, slippery stuff, coats everything. All the gears and everything have pink stuff on them.  The stuff does not simply drain off the parts and pool in the pan. We found it in one of the trannys I opened up today. Seems to be impervious to Brakeclean. Does not smell like gear oil, thankfully. What is it? Should I flush it out, or get more?

This is an Opel GT tranny and was used in a race car (Manta, 10 years ago) before we got it last month.

We had tranny problems during the last race. Now we have five and are rebuilding them all. (They are only about the size of a loaf of bread.) One for each driver. Long pit stops. wink

Re: Pepto Bismol in the Tranny.

Marvel Mystery Oil mixed with gear oil?

Polished Turd Racing - 1974 VW 412 variant
www.facebook.com/polishedturdracing
It's 40% racing, 60% arts and crafts.

Sounds like water and tranny fluid mix

Amsoil? Redline MTL?   ATF?       There are a lot of red products out there and they will do that with just a little bit of water mixed in.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Transmission cooler in radiator is cracked.

I'm gonna agree with posts #3 and #5.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

7 (edited by m610 2010-11-14 11:37 PM)

I thought about the possibility of water, but it's a manual transmission and it didn't have a cooler, and there is no rust in the tranny. Everything looks clean.

Edit - pics
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/tranny/DSC_0217-1024.jpg
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/tranny/DSC_0218-1024.jpg

Never mind my post.

Was the car flooded? That sure is a weird color. Maybe it's some kind of industrial lube?

almost looks like someone used ATF+ motor oil and let it get really hot, then age for a decade

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Water + Redline?

If there were water mixed in there would be rust, you could heat some up and see how the fluid behaves.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

12 (edited by EBudman 2010-11-15 05:41 AM)

Looks like Redline Shockproof gear oil.  I think there are a few different colors to identify the viscosity, but that is definitely what it looks like..... (and how it acts)

Eric

Does look similar to redline shockproof, looks alittle more red that shockproof.http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/INDYSUPRA1/car/IMG952010110995181839.jpg

Here is some redline to compare it to.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

Correct.  That is Redline Shockproof MTL.  Great stuff for shockloaded gears, because it applies the thick waxy film to the gearteeth.  I don't know if it is good for long distance racing, because it's questionable if it will flow into bearings & bushings as needed.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

15 (edited by m610 2010-11-15 08:52 AM)

Thanks all.

The Redline web site also noted that it was not recommended for most synchro transmission due to slipperiness. Opel folks have also recommended against synthetics for the same reason.

The previous owner probably ran the transmission in his Manta on the oval tracks here in Nor Calia. Short, intense races. Definitely not endurance racing.

I guess now I have to find a way to get all that goo out of there. Maybe I can borrow the parts washer at EGR. My carport is not so well equipped. Just the usual hand tools, a jack, and I took apart the planter thingy to make a work bench.

SoFlacrapcan wrote:

Yup, oil and water stirred vigorously = emulsion.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Yeah,  bring it by the shop, you can use the parts washer (standard payment of one six pack of good beer may be required)    Most synthetics over-lubricate the syncros and cause shifting problems and premature wear on older transmissions...   Get that stuff out of there.

I'm up at Thunderhill today, but will be in the shop Tuesday and Wednesday and then will fly out to New Orleans on Thursday.... 

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

mackwagon wrote:
SoFlacrapcan wrote:

Yup, oil and water stirred vigorously = emulsion.

Read all previous posts before adding two cents. Compound has been identified.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

I managed to contact eh PO and he confirmed it was Pepto... Redline Shockproof. The garage he worked at had Redline products out the ears. I've yet to get his impression of how well it worked. Supposedly it i not recommended for synchro transmissions.

I'll be taking the tranny to EGR today to clean the stuff out.

There's a Spec Miata/MX-5 Cup team at MSR Cresson that uses a mixture of shockproof (or light shockproof) and MTL (or MT-90?) in their Miata transmissions. Might be you have a "custom" blend like that?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I've used Redline Ultra Heavy Shockproof (what you have) to keep a FWD SE-R trans happy under almost 500whp of gear-shredding power.  Never had synchro issues either.  Yours is probably a little darker because there was probably still some old, dead, regular gear oil in there.

The Light Shockproof is blue.

We also use the stuff in our G20 racecar.  No problems there either.  Once it gets up to temperature, it pours/moves pretty easy.

BTW, I once accidentally spilled a drop on the compressor housing on my SE-R, and forgot about it.  The stuff stayed in the EXACT SAME SPOT for THREE MONTHS before I noticed it and washed it off.  Amazing stuff.  Much like the ProMAX stuff, I know a guy who cracked his case, dumped all of his Pepto out, and drove it that way for a week before pulling the trans.  Again: amazing stuff.

rockwood wrote:

I've used Redline Ultra Heavy Shockproof (what you have) to keep a FWD SE-R trans happy under almost 500whp of gear-shredding power.  Never had synchro issues either.  Yours is probably a little darker because there was probably still some old, dead, regular gear oil in there.

The Light Shockproof is blue.

We also use the stuff in our G20 racecar.  No problems there either.  Once it gets up to temperature, it pours/moves pretty easy.

BTW, I once accidentally spilled a drop on the compressor housing on my SE-R, and forgot about it.  The stuff stayed in the EXACT SAME SPOT for THREE MONTHS before I noticed it and washed it off.  Amazing stuff.  Much like the ProMAX stuff, I know a guy who cracked his case, dumped all of his Pepto out, and drove it that way for a week before pulling the trans.  Again: amazing stuff.

Noted... Shockproof for every tortured tranny I have. Do they make ATF?!

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

23 (edited by Mulry 2010-11-19 07:29 AM)

Redline does make ATF fluids (including a Racing ATF) but I don't see that they make shockproof for ATF.

I'd recommend that you call them on the phone though and see if they have a product that does the same thing without clogging the ATF internal passages. Their phone support is incredible for racers. I called with an off-the-wall question one time (go figure) and they couldn't answer it right away but a couple of their engineers got together over lunch and then they called me back the next day. Didn't make a lick of difference in the end (we went in a different direction on that project) but it sure did make me a customer for life.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.