Topic: Fueling at Buttonwillow

We're new to Lemons, and Buttonwillow will be our first race.  Can someone tell us what the rules are for refueling there?  From cans in the pits, or cans in the paddoock, or at the fuel pumps?  Any rules on the type of dump cans we can use?  Thanks.

Ken

Re: Fueling at Buttonwillow

Last time we were able to fill up in your pit/paddock space but were required to have a drip pan underneath. Anyone fueling up has to wear full race gear and there has to be someone manning a fire extinguisher.

Any container legal to carry fuel should be fine.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

The someone manning a fire extinguisher also has to be in full race gear. Either a large drip pan or fuel in the dirt.  No fueling in the hot pits, only in the paddock.

One way...

The next driver all ready to jump in the car grabs the fire extinguisher. The driver getting out fuels the car.  This way the next driver will not have fuel on the driver suit of shoes. Everyone else is well away from the car and fueling.

magpiemini wrote:

Everyone else is well away from the car and fueling.

This is VERY IMPORTANT.  No one else is to touch the car while it is being fueled.  They don't F around with this and, if you are caught, you and your car will spend the next hour getting friendly with Phil and Jonny.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

magpiemini wrote:

The next driver all ready to jump in the car grabs the fire extinguisher. The driver getting out fuels the car.  This way the next driver will not have fuel on the driver suit of shoes. Everyone else is well away from the car and fueling.

This is exactly how we do it, works well for us. Having a third person suited up would be even better but we don't have enough people for that.

Yeah, I shoulda mentioned that both the person refueling and the person with the extinguisher have to be in full gear.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

Yeah, I shoulda mentioned that both the person refueling and the person with the extinguisher have to be in full gear.

Dumb question: Does that include helmet also?   I can see good arguments both ways on that.   Without a helmet, peripheral vision and crew communications (e.g. hazard warnings) is better.   With a helmet, fire safety is enhanced.   I don't have strong feelings either way, I just want to know what the rule is.   Even if it isn't required, I think I would opt for at least a Nomex head sock.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Yup, helmet on, shield down and safety pin out of the extinguisher.

In other words, you need to bring 2 extinguishers: 1 for the car (if no fire system) and 1 for fueling.

We do what was suggested above, the sweaty driver who is not getting back in the car fuels, the next driver stands by with the extinguisher. But since this rotation changes with each fuel stop we will also put a third person in charge of making sure it is done right, that gloves are on, visors are down, etc., everything, details and all. And yes, that person will have a checklist in their hand. It's easy to get distracted and get caught up in the action and forget part of your job, simple as it is.

Thanks all.  That helps a lot.

Ken

lcrken wrote:

We're new to Lemons, and Buttonwillow will be our first race.  Can someone tell us what the rules are for refueling there?  From cans in the pits, or cans in the paddoock, or at the fuel pumps?  Any rules on the type of dump cans we can use?  Thanks.

Ken

Let me add my thanks.. It's nice to have details like this clearly spelt out.  I assume that's how it's done at every track? 
  Would say NASCAR style dump cans be OK?