Topic: Disc brake issues

We recently did a brake conversion from front drums to discs. Everything seemed to be great and it all bolted up perfectly but when we bled the system the pedal pressure was weird. When you press on  the brake pedal the first time it goes the floor but after three presses it gets a normal feel. Leave it for a couple seconds and it'll go back down to the floor when pressed. Its not off jackstands yet so I don't know the real driving feel, but everything that went into the conversion was new or remanufactured except the pressure distributor and there are no visible leaks in the system. What the he'll is going on?

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Re: Disc brake issues

Not sure, but I'm doing the same conversion.  Sounds like you still have some air in the system.  I know it's recommended to bench bleed the mc first, then gravity or vacuum bleed the full system after everything is installed and buttoned up.  I'm also vaguely aware there's a best practice in bleeding the system which starts with bleeding the caliper/drum furthest away from the mc and working your way to the closest to the mc.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

I half bench bled the MC by attaching the bench bleed kit to the MC after it was already bolted to the firewall.  Figured it was the same in the end.  Push it with a screwdriver or push it with the brake pedal.  Same outcome.  We just finished bleeding the brake system for the second time with the "furthest first" system.  Same pedal feel.

2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix

Air in the system.

Screw the furthest first. That only works when you are working with a previously pressurized system. And if you have a safety pressure bias valve, (front to rear shuttle valve that shuts off half the system in case of pressure differential) then it's a PITA.

My advice is to get an ez bleed or similar system that pressure feeds the master cylinder via the cap opening. Absolutely 100% worth every single friggin penny.

I crack the unions starting at the master cylinder and then my way out to the wheels. Once you're satisfied you have most of the air out, then do the furthest first thing.

Agree, pressure bleeders are amazingly quick and effective.  Dont apply too much pressure as the cap seals can fail?

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

If you've got.vacuum assist, check your brake booster for leaks. I've noticed similar behavior on our MR2 if/when we've messed with the brake booster vacuum line on the intake manifold & not gotten it attached back on correctly.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

7 (edited by Dave 2010-11-18 05:03 AM)

If you are sure there is no air left in the system, try clamping off the brake hoses and then see how the peddle reacts. Should be like pushing on a brick. Then take clamps off one at a time until the culprit rears its ugly head.(I have seen calipers retract too far causing the same symptoms) If the peddle is still reacting the same way then I would suspect the master cylinder. Good luck, hope this helps.  Dave

It Ain't My Fault

Mulry wrote:

If you've got.vacuum assist, check your brake booster for leaks. I've noticed similar behavior on our MR2 if/when we've messed with the brake booster vacuum line on the intake manifold & not gotten it attached back on correctly.

I'm not saying Pat is wrong about his car, but in theory the booster should not affect pedal TRAVEL, it will affect pedal FEEL.  A sinking pedal can only be air in the system if there are no leaks.  When we had issues it was the new master cylinder not being bench bled fully.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

If you stab the pedal hard the first time, does it stay up?

If the pedal is slowly, lightly pressed will it go to the floor?

If the answers above are yes, then a tired MC is the culprit.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Bench bleeding is best done on the bench where the MC is level and the air can fully escape, mounted in the car the master may be sitting at a angle trapping air.

Remove and re-bench bleed.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Wow. Thanks for all your quick replies. Ive been ripping my hair out this week trying to just get it to start with one issue after another. Everyone on the team is eager to help but most don't really "get" automotive systems and we don't have decades of experience.  I am the best at most of it so if something stumps me I have no one to spitball with.  I'm glad there's a forum like this for my dumbass questions. You guys are lifesavers. Come on by Friday.  If you let us pick your brains we'll feed you BBQ.

if it was doing it all the time, i'd suggest checking brake lines for flex, but because it stops after 2-3 pumps, it's got to be air.

you said it's on jacks; is it level? My guess is air in the master.

what year is the Gremmie? i'll bring what liturature i have to the track

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

No brake booster by the way. We have manual flavor brakes

I guess tonight is your last night for working on it, assuming you are heading off to New Orleans tomorrow!  If you are still stuck later and need an extra set of hands, I am west Houston, let me know if I can help (it may be later on as we still finishing our car too)!

Mark - 713 504 0871

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Spent weeks getting our front disc conversion to behave.

Is yours a single or dual circuit system?  If single, like ours, then adjustment of rear drums will be critical to this process. Make sure rears are set properly, as that will affect the whole magilla. You're working in the range of ten-thousandths.

Our rears are not self adjusting, so, with wheels bolted firmly on - jack the rear, have an assistant pump and hold pedal pressure to center the rear shoes in the drum. Adjust firmly until tight, then back off slightly. Release pedal, check for faint resistance when spinning the wheel. Do again for other side. That should have rears adjusted and thus good pressure in the entire system now.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

cmice wrote:

Spent weeks getting our front disc conversion to behave.

Is yours a single or dual circuit system?  If single, like ours, then adjustment of rear drums will be critical to this process. Make sure rears are set properly, as that will affect the whole magilla. You're working in the range of ten-thousandths.

Our rears are not self adjusting, so, with wheels bolted firmly on - jack the rear, have an assistant pump and hold pedal pressure to center the rear shoes in the drum. Adjust firmly until tight, then back off slightly. Release pedal, check for faint resistance when spinning the wheel. Do again for other side. That should have rears adjusted and thus good pressure in the entire system now.

Our system is dual circuit front and back.

One more thing - might need a larger diameter master cylinder - we did when we went from rear drums to rear discs. Sounds like the symptom we had.

Zachreligious wrote:

One more thing - might need a larger diameter master cylinder - we did when we went from rear drums to rear discs. Sounds like the symptom we had.

With no brake booster I hope he doesn't heed a larger one, otherwise he and his teammates may need larger legs to push the pedal.

Captain

Zachreligious wrote:

This is likely the cause.
Disk brake calipers have a bigger piston and so more fluid has to flow. A small MC will mean lots of pedal travel but better feel.

A couple items you should probably check.
A) did you rebuild the calipers or just slap them on from the JY? They could be old and kind of rusty/sticky. Strip the pistons out and clean all the seals, the bores, and the sides of the pistons. A scotch-bright pad works pretty good for the last two. I lube up the seals with STP son of a gun, its pure silicone and will help preserve the seals, and make the pistons slide in and out nicely.

B)You might also check on the MC from a similar car with disk brakes to see if there are check valves (these could be just rubber disks on the MC outputs), some cars have these to prevent the return flow of lots of fluid and keep the caliper pistons/pads close to the rotor.

C) See if you can find out if there is a similar bolt pattern MC in a another model of that manufacturer that has a bigger bore. Datsun cars are great for this, lots of choices in the same bolt pattern (510, 240z, 280z, 200sx). Bolt a bigger one in place to get more volume to the front calipers. But this will probably over power the rear drum brakes.
So there are two basic fixes for that. Run great pads up front and cheap pads in the rear to get some sort of F/R balance, or buy a proportioning valve and install it in the line to the rear brakes. If you are really smart you'll put it next to the drivers seat so your drivers can mess with it during the race (adjusting for the change in fuel load), which will result in the brake bias being all F-ed up when the next guy gets in the car

a TIP for bleeding the master. Take a couple short ~12" pieces of clear hose and put them on the bleed ports and then stick them in the fluid reservoirs, a short loop. open bleed ports Pump away and watch for clear lines, rap on the MC with a wrench a couple times - repeat.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

It's the Often Missed air in the system:
...If it has more than one piston in the caliper - the outside one can trap air.
"bench bleed" the caliper by removing the pad, giving the pedal a few pumps and then force the piston back into the caliper with the bleeder open.
~this also flushes the caliper quite well when changing/refreshing brake fluid.

Been down this road before.  Be 100% sure that all four calipers are square and not moving while being applied.  I had one flexing (street car, one bent caliper pin) that had exactly the same symptom.  when it would relax after a minute or so it would press lightly back on the piston.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Where are the bleeder screws on the kit?  My CNC disc brake kit for my dune buggy has the bleeders pointing towards the middle of the vehicle.  In order to bleed properly, I have to remove them, turn the bleeder screw up, then bleed as normal.  Bleeding them mounted to the vehicle, no matter how long I try, results in exactly what you're experiencing.

rockwood wrote:

Where are the bleeder screws on the kit?  My CNC disc brake kit for my dune buggy has the bleeders pointing towards the middle of the vehicle.  In order to bleed properly, I have to remove them, turn the bleeder screw up, then bleed as normal.  Bleeding them mounted to the vehicle, no matter how long I try, results in exactly what you're experiencing.

Forgot about that one I've seen a bunch of calipers installed on the wrong side of the car-- bleeders pointed down. Should be pointed up.

Spank wrote:

Forgot about that one I've seen a bunch of calipers installed on the wrong side of the car-- bleeders pointed down. Should be pointed up.

I've seen that too.  I have the calipers from a ZR-1 Corvette on my Cavalier Z24. Because the Vette has them mounted on the aft side of the rotor vs. the forward side on my FWD car, I had to swap the right and lefts to have the bleeder screw pointing upward.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:

I have the calipers from a ZR-1 Corvette on my Cavalier Z24

Really?

That is really awesome if so.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.