Topic: Race Updates

I'm here at the track, with The Knights Who Say Ni-ssan, and will be providing updates as often as possible here:http://twitter.com/particle_man820
And here:http://knightsofnissan.blogspot.com/
Pictures should also be available.

Nick
Instigator of Naked Guy Racing, formerly The Knights Who Say Ni-ssan

Re: Race Updates

Datsun is in the pits... hood up... seems mechanical... course has not gone green yet.

Nick

Hey, send me a few photos and I'll use them for a Jalopnik post!

Course has gone green, with the Datsun in the pits. I just checked with the team and I heard some stuff about the alternator. They're doing a lot of revving every few minutes. Our number five Nissan is in the pits with a missing idler pulley.

Nick

I will get photos to you as soon as possible. I'm crew chief so we'll see how busy I am.

Nick

Thanks!

It would be especially helpful if you could get me shots of the top few cars, once the first standings sheets are posted.

Update:Kielbasa Kids in the lead, I have pictures of many cars (including the '63 corvair and Datsun 510. There are 20 some cars on track right now, and there seem to be a few cars that have been visiting the box a lot...
There were only four cars with negative laps when I checked the standings, with us 56.

Pictures should appear soon.

Nick

I'm uploading images to the blog, should appear in 15-20 minutes.

Nick

Thanks for the updates!  Good luck in the race!

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Thanks. As I write this we're running somewhere in the twenties, afterand the Kielbasa Kids are 33 laps ahead of the nearest competitor. Just finished a penalty + driver change.

Nick

We have rain coming. lots of it. 510 is in the pits again, looks mechanical. gotta go, will post pics later.

Nick

We're okay, just had to pack up do to rain. A hour long penalty came for getting for wheels of after the #77 car rear ended us, and 20 minutes after getting back on the track the car spun and we were done for the day. Tomorrow we get a clean slate and will get going again. In other news, the Datsun 510 had problems all day. They started the race with us and came in when we lost the idler pulley with alternator problems. They stayed in about as long as we did, (about a hour) but after a hour of running they were back in with a fuel leak through left handed corners, while one of our drivers got the judges a cheeseburger while wearing a whig, pig snout, and fake boobs. They battled with a fuel leak once more, solved it quickly, but were then plagued by something that required that they pitted every 10 minutes or so. The Corvair has been running pretty well, with no mechanical difficulties, but have not been fast nor able to keep there noses clean. They seem to have the IoE pretty well locked up. The Peugot 504 went home around 6:00 after being unable to get the thing to start, along with half the field.
The race leading Kielbasa Kids civic has not been seen even near the penalty area, and is rarely in the pits. They're leading by ~40 laps. The closest spots are around third place with 3+ cars all within 5 laps of each other.
I was talking with Jay and the consensus was that a bimmer 5 series or a Impala will be the people's curse "winner". I'm going to ask if I can use my lemon cannon to fire some Lemons at the car before it's crushed tomorrow.

Will twitter the rest of the race tomorrow, but right now I need sleep.

If you want to know about any car on the track post a message here or on twitter and I will get to you as soon as possible.

Nick

Particle_Man wrote:

The race leading Kielbasa Kids civic has not been seen even near the penalty area, and is rarely in the pits.

And that's how you win Lemons!

The people's curse was the 699 Pimpala, which was destroyed by an angry mob wielding hammers. I have the top ten cars after day one:
1, 29 Kielbasa Kids Honda Civic - has not been seen even near the penalty area.
2, 74 Scuderia Lemoni - Alfa Romeo Milano
3, 6 Suderia Testa di Spello - Alfa Romeo Milano
4, 240 Vermont Cow Tippers - Volvo 240 wagon
5, 21 Team Pro-Crash Duh Nation - Alfa Romeo Milano
6, 33 Team Submarine - Honda Civic
7, 100 Keystone Cops - Volvo 244 wagon
8, 48 The Crazy Swiss & Crazy Chic - Nissan 240SX
9, 83 Rhinoceros Racing Team - Honda Civic
10, 32 Police Brutality - Lincoln Mark VIII

We're preparing for the second day, and will post more pics when I get the chance. Will twitter of course.

Nick

16 (edited by Particle_Man 2009-07-13 07:32 PM)

And we're off. The race has started, and the Endurance Carting Miata is being driven rather recklessly. The Chard Beef car is back on the track, with a new engine in the car after an overnight swap. The Datsun 510 is still going, although it is pitting rather often. The Corvair is out there as well, and has run a good race. The 699 Pimpala trying to get out there again, but looks unlikely. (particularly since our guy did a thorough job on the wiring harness...)

I need to get back to racing, but should be able to fill most requests.

Nick

I'm on my way home, and will see what I can dig up for news. Suffice to say that the Kielbasa Kids were the winner on distance by a large amount. The Charred Beef car had to change engines three times and finished the race running. The Corvair won the IoE. I will post more later when I'm not as busy trying to figure out what to do with the car.

Nick

A correction on the Jalopnik post about the curse. It was not wire cutters that were used on the harness, but just a file + strength. How do I know? It was our guy who did that fine job on the harness, and I was there when he suggested using the file. Someone else was using snips under the dash for a bit, but I will not out him as he was rather nice to us.

The team was really good about it, and almost got it running again, and even asked the race officials to black flag Vlad so they could get the airflow censor off, but the driver ignored the flag since there was twenty minutes left in the race. The job would have been a lot easier if the harness wasn't cut.

I just want to say (not whine, as this isn't my team and I'm not that stupid.) that they only got ten minutes of warning instead of thirty (which I think is rather short) and someone ended up slashing the window net and belts. They said when I talked to them that they paid more for the belts than the car. I checked and they were not the Pyrotect belts from the Lemons store.

Oh, and here are a some pictures:http://gallery.bithose.com/main.php?g2_itemId=20160

Nick

Wire cutters were using on the harness, I had to stop hammering for him to get in there and cut some of the thick wires - off the alternator, main relays, etc.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Particle_Man wrote:

... and someone ended up slashing the window net and belts. They said when I talked to them that they paid more for the belts than the car. I checked and they were not the Pyrotect belts from the Lemons store.

not whining either but, that was some messed up shit...  Whoever did that lost the spirit of this is just for fun, out on the track.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

21 (edited by TeamDFL 2009-07-12 09:33 PM)

I also want to correct the post on Jalopnik.

I was the one wielding the 18" bolt cutters for Duct Tape Motorsports.  In the minutes leading up to the Curse, we settled on a simple plan: cut a couple soft parts to disable the car.  We wanted to make it difficult to return the car to service but not impossible.  We definitely did NOT want to make it impossible for the car to ever return and specifically discussed avoiding safety equipment and the cage.  I spent way too many hours putting the cage into my car to destroy the cage in someone else's car.

I initially wanted to sever a battery cable and a cut brake hose (not a hard line).  After ducking a sledge hammer and a long handled axe, I managed to find enough room to cut one cable at the alternator without losing my head.  I then lay down on the ground to take a stab at a brake hose but could not reach.  Instead, I cut one piece of engine harness that ran across the top of the engine.  These two items slaked my thirst for destruction so I backed off to avoid the carnage.  No wiring was removed and all damage inflicted could have been repaired in an hour with a soldering iron and a battery cable from their spare car.  Someone walked out of the crowd with a handful of wiring but I have no idea where on the car it came from.

After the Curse,  I stopped by the car to talk to the one Pimpala team member I knew.  He informed me that someone cut the racing harness (a giant dick move in my opinion) so I offered them the use of a spare G-Force 6 point harness if they got the car running.

Ed

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Cutting the belts was a supreme dick move.  I didn't notice the belts were cut.  I gave a quick look to see if the aluminum seat was damaged, and it didn't look like it was to me... but after hearing the belts were cut I wonder if someone also damaged the seat.

That's pretty horrible stuff to do to someone.

On a brighter note, the cone chicane that was at the beginning of the front straight was gone this year - which made the event much more enjoyable.

brownMINI wrote:

Cutting the belts was a supreme dick move.  I didn't notice the belts were cut.  I gave a quick look to see if the aluminum seat was damaged, and it didn't look like it was to me... but after hearing the belts were cut I wonder if someone also damaged the seat.

That's pretty horrible stuff to do to someone.

On a brighter note, the cone chicane that was at the beginning of the front straight was gone this year - which made the event much more enjoyable.

Till our lack of prep ended our day because we didn't expect to need so much brakes... lol

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I saw that later (belts cut) as I walked by to see the carnage.  Serious dick move of hurting the safety equipment/belts.  I was very surprised to see the seat still in the car and avoided the passenger section of the car completely during the curse.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I wasn't there, and agree the belts shouldn't have been cut...but explain to me why the car should have been damaged just enough so it could possibly return to the race?  I thought the whole point of the People's Curse was to do just that...make the car undriveable FOREVER.  The crush attempt on the Mustang was lame and they saved the motor...on purpose IMO, so it sounds like this new method is much more destructive.

From the other thread, most, if not all, agreed they vote on People's Curse based on track driving behavior.  Basically, don't drive like a complete ass and you won't have to worry about what will or will not be done to your car.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!