Re: who do we ask for permission or approval?

Think less carbon fiber and more carbon fiber vinyl on the stock body panels, that's much more in the spirit of Lemons.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Judge Phil wrote:

If you want the IOE, just ask yourself while car shopping: What would Speedycop do?

That is the scariest idea I've seen yet here!   :-)

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

There honestly wouldn't be a problem with hand made carbon fiber body parts on a Jag.  There just wouldn't be.  People would click their tongue and shake their heads, wonder "why" aloud, but also probably spend a lot of time quizzing you on techniques so they can try to duplicate it themselves.

If you want to do it, just do it!  Rather than asking for permission, ask for forgiveness.  Just don't do anything questionable about safety because that is the one part of this race that's 100% serious.  The tech inspectors know what they're doing and will sweat you on iffy stuff.  They're not unreasonable, just knowledgeable and trying to keep everyone as safe as possible in these ridiculous heaps.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

There honestly wouldn't be a problem with hand made carbon fiber body parts on a Jag.  There just wouldn't be.  People would click their tongue and shake their heads, wonder "why" aloud, but also probably spend a lot of time quizzing you on techniques so they can try to duplicate it themselves.

If you want to do it, just do it!  Rather than asking for permission, ask for forgiveness.  Just don't do anything questionable about safety because that is the one part of this race that's 100% serious.  The tech inspectors know what they're doing and will sweat you on iffy stuff.  They're not unreasonable, just knowledgeable and trying to keep everyone as safe as possible in these ridiculous heaps.

Excelllant point.
  I happen to agree with the whole idea of BS judging.. Excellant way to keep the cost of racing as affordable as possible.. Sure you can run whatever trick piece you think is important.. however we'll make sure it doesn't give you an advantage..

The other part is a way to somewhat equalize impossibly unequal cars..
  A slow car would be allowed more mods than a faster car!
    I suspect my trying to nail things down before hand so I don't waste time, money, and energy is simply not possible.. for either of us.
The BS judges do not want to allow something before hand that they might later regret.  I on the other hand don't want to leave off potential improvements to allow me to run with everybody.. 
  The idea of Ghetto charging has a lot of appeal to me. simply as a challenge.  It's a very affordable modification.. Same with using ethanol..
I won't if it makes the car too fast because the fun is in the dicing not in simply going faster than others..
I guess I've got to try them out at a track day someplace  and see.. then either take them off or  somehow convince the judges to allow them..
OH with regard the Carbon fibre.. When I bring it I'll also bring some extra and show other just how easy it is to do.. Maybe make a part for someone .. (that Or I could paint it and tell everyone it's fiberglas. Unless they pick it up they won't be able to tell.)

PunisherBass wrote:

Think less carbon fiber and more carbon fiber vinyl on the stock body panels, that's much more in the spirit of Lemons.

When I watch these events run the one thing I notice..
even the groups with the most slap stick approach to humor take their racing seriously..
  The groups I like aren't so blantant about their humor.. It's there clearly but it's more sophisticated than slap stick..
I do Hope you won't be offended if I try to express humor that way.
Smokey Yunick had a dry sense of humor.  he also was terribly creative..
  I don't think it's possible to do a  Indy side car tribute but I do think a 7/8ths scale Chevelle is possible.
   I wanted the car black (easiest paint to match)
so I thought about pirate tributes and never seemed to come up with anything original
  A hearse was next, I kind of liked the idea of making a wooden coffin (I do a lot of wood working as a hobby)  but to carry it off I had to go too slapstick.. (suxemdry and bones mortuary on the door)  Behind it is a price list (suitably gruesome)
due to it's weight I considered calling it the titanic (yawn) queen elizabeth, (slightly better)
  Then a few lame Monte Pythons Flying Circus ideas which seemed too obscure to carry the sense of humor intended..

you missed it - Coffin is OK, do the Hearse mod to the back deck...
- go watch Harold and Maude...
that is plenty cerebral and dry for this bunch!

Judge Phil wrote:

Anyway, there's only one formula if you really care about an overall Lemons win: (reliable car that's quicker than 60% of the competition) + (team stacked with robot-consistent pro-quality drivers) + (luck) = win. The V8olvo is a great example of this formula; when the team switched from (mostly) slow drivers to some of the top Spec Miata drivers on the west coast, the car went from mid-pack to dominant.

If you really want to take the overall win— though God knows why you would, since an IOE trophy is so much more bragging-rights-worthy— you should watch what Eyesore or Red Rocket Ratnest Revival do: leave nothing to chance, make no mistakes, don't take chances on the track.

If you want the IOE, just ask yourself while car shopping: What would Speedycop do?

Yeah... that is just way too much pain and frustration for my blood.  I've won an IOE.  The race went surprisingly well, and it was still one of the most painful on-track experiences of my life (Crown Vic race excluded).  My reason for doing Lemons is because I get get on a track and do wheel-to-wheel racing for cheap, and have a great time doing it.  I'm too lazy to think up great themes.  I want to drive something that's fun, which means good handling and decent power.  I no longer give a crap about winning anything, I just want to bring a fun, reliable car and make three or four awesome passes during my time on track.

That's why Nelson Ledges was the best race I've done yet.  The car was fast and reliable, and we had some great racing while we were out there.  Then the motor blew up 11 hours in...

Lemons is a lot of things to a lot of people, but I think the teams who "get it", whether its from the "I just want to have fun on track" or the "I just want to clown around" camps, just don't take things too seriously.

Of course, then there's the Speedycop camp, where you bring a half-finished, ridiculous half-breed car, wrench on it for half the weekend, and have it blow up after half a lap.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

crazymike wrote:

you missed it - Coffin is OK, do the Hearse mod to the back deck...
- go watch Harold and Maude...
that is plenty cerebral and dry for this bunch!

I can't watch Harold and Maude, not without crying..  That's a perfect XK-E they do that to.. and when it goes off the cliff to it's total destruction I get the willies..
Just in case you missed it I'm a Fan of Jaguars!:D)D

DaveH wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Anyway, there's only one formula if you really care about an overall Lemons win: (reliable car that's quicker than 60% of the competition) + (team stacked with robot-consistent pro-quality drivers) + (luck) = win. The V8olvo is a great example of this formula; when the team switched from (mostly) slow drivers to some of the top Spec Miata drivers on the west coast, the car went from mid-pack to dominant.

If you really want to take the overall win— though God knows why you would, since an IOE trophy is so much more bragging-rights-worthy— you should watch what Eyesore or Red Rocket Ratnest Revival do: leave nothing to chance, make no mistakes, don't take chances on the track.

Yeah... that is just way too much pain and frustration for my blood.  I've won an IOE.  The race went surprisingly well, and it was still one of the most painful on-track experiences of my life (Crown Vic race excluded).  My reason for doing Lemons is because I get get on a track and do wheel-to-wheel racing for cheap, and have a great time doing it.  I'm too lazy to think up great themes.  I want to drive something that's fun, which means good handling and decent power.  I no longer give a crap about winning anything, I just want to bring a fun, reliable car and make three or four awesome passes during my time on track.

That's why Nelson Ledges was the best race I've done yet.  The car was fast and reliable, and we had some great racing while we were out there.  Then the motor blew up 11 hours in...

Lemons is a lot of things to a lot of people, but I think the teams who "get it", whether its from the "I just want to have fun on track" or the "I just want to clown around" camps, just don't take things too seriously.
Actually the whole consept is brillant..   
From the theme to ensure those who do come have a decent sense of humor and don't take things too seriously (thereby they don't ruin it for others)
and the BS judging to prevent megadollar spending on stuff without pissing off people with an phone book full of rules. 
The ultimate is the affordablity of the basic car $500.00 buy in instead of $200,000 or more..
If you want to be a winner in SCCA that's the buy in price to a lot of classes and then you likely need to spend a similar amount on professional mechanics, tires, track testing time etc..
Sure there is another way, You can be a spear carrier in one of the lower classes, run mid pack while you learn your craft and given enough time and luck manage a win..  Meanwhile you'll have spent your childrens college money endulging yourself in a hobby. 
  No $500 buy in, shared expenses,  makes Lemons and Chumpcar racing for the rest of us..

Of course, then there's the Speedycop camp, where you bring a half-finished, ridiculous half-breed car, wrench on it for half the weekend, and have it blow up after half a lap.