Topic: Jaguar Mk.X

So I was at a local hillbilly junkyard that I just learned about today.  Amongst the wrecked import cars is a half restored Jag Mk.X or 420G saloon.  It was actually in the going back together phase of restoration, when (i'm guessing) the restorer died.  After the heirs finished squabbling, the garage contents (ladders, rags, trash) were tossed in the car and towed to the junkyard.  It had just been painted, all the chrome & glass was still out of it.   Under the hood is a complete, freshly assembled triple carb 4.2L.  Unfortunately, it has been outside, with no windows for a year or two, so the walnut is all trashed, the dash is ruined, smith's gauges all rusted & full of water...

What do I do with this information?  Should I forget about it?  Post up on the Jag forum (there must be one, right?).  Buy the car and flip it?

Suggestions, cajoling or jeers all welcome.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Re: Jaguar Mk.X

Jim, want to make a new ewe? or perhaps another fine vessel to the Pillager fleet? big_smile

3 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-11-18 07:41 PM)

If you're a wussy you post it on www.jag-lovers.org. If you're not you build it. I'll sell you an EFI swap, complete with computer, wiring harnesses, and a burned-up engine and good transmission for $200. For $400 I'll throw in enough DOM to build a cage.

This car is definitely boatlike.  It is so boatlike, that the buick would seem to be a real racecar by comparison.

It doesn't need EFI.  It's got 3 ginormous SU's fed by a ram-air box.   cool
What it would need is some kinda stickshift swap in lieu of the terrible borg-warner slushbox.  (BW automatics: good enough for Rambler.)

Jim C.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

So I was at a local hillbilly junkyard that I just learned about today.  Amongst the wrecked import cars is a half restored Jag Mk.X or 420G saloon.  It was actually in the going back together phase of restoration, when (i'm guessing) the restorer died.  After the heirs finished squabbling, the garage contents (ladders, rags, trash) were tossed in the car and towed to the junkyard.  It had just been painted, all the chrome & glass was still out of it.   Under the hood is a complete, freshly assembled triple carb 4.2L.  Unfortunately, it has been outside, with no windows for a year or two, so the walnut is all trashed, the dash is ruined, smith's gauges all rusted & full of water...

What do I do with this information?  Should I forget about it?  Post up on the Jag forum (there must be one, right?).  Buy the car and flip it?

OK it doesn't have much of a market.. you might be able to sell the carbs to someone for as much as say $1500 but expect them to be extremely pissed when they don't fit on the XK-E that they bought them for.. (the manifold is differant, it looks the same but it won't fit an XK-E  (hits the frame rail)  Oh it's possible that the wood can be saved.. so don't throw it away  especially the little picnic tables on the back of the front seat.. those are simply too cool to waste..  Same with the leather!  I've seen some really nasty leather brought back with some scrubbbing and neats foot oil. .. They are cool seats to sit in the garage or recreation room. (need to be set up a little bit)..  The chrome might have a market.. not many Mk 10's left and if someone needs chrome they will pay dearly for shiney parts..  The guages have some value and can be taken apart and cleaned.. Do try to save the Tach.. twist the glass cover off,  drain the water,  spray WD40 in and gently with a nice soft piece of clean cotton wipe stuff out.. then respray rewipeetc.. until it looks new..
  The IRS is the same basic one as the later XJ6/12 front suspension is differant.. (needs major help in the sway bar department) 
You can upgrade the brakes several ways..
Well you got yourself a real racer there.. 265 horsepower!  Lots of bottom end torque..   I'll walk you through whatever you need.. I'll explain what fits and how to tune that baby up so it will run like a scalded ape.
  You'll want to do a quarter Jag though..  That Borg warner* transmission won't last  30 minutes in a  race if it's in perfect shape! You've got lots of options though, some really cheap and  some more expensive..
* Borg Warner transmission was used in Studebakers, Packards and  when GM's transmission factory  burned down some Pontiacs &Oldsmobles .. even a few Cadillacs.  (Buick had their own dynaflow, Chevy the powerglide)  Cheapest swap is with the aluminum bell housing of the Borg Warner modified to take a T5  (it's also the best swap)
Just E-mail me with questions.

FJ40Jim wrote:

Interior shot? Put in a cage in it. Bring it to a race. Be more legendary than you may be now.

The Borg Warner trans maligned above shares its internals with the Volvo 242 series...
Trustworthy and rebuildable on yer own, but yeah, not very good w/o cooling and care.

World of differance between a 4 cylinder engine of modest power and a snarffy 6 cylinder with DOHC, and triple carbs..
Then when they stick it behind the torquey, high reving V 12 in a car nearly twice as heavy.. TsskTssk..
  I'm sorry but the rambler transmission isn't up to the task.

Jim, any second looks at this beast?

No, I had to go to a different PnP JY today to finally get a decent brake reservoir for my wabbitruck.

If I have a chance, I'll mosey back down there w/ a camera.

Jim C.

FJ40Jim wrote:

No, I had to go to a different PnP JY today to finally get a decent brake reservoir for my wabbitruck.

If I have a chance, I'll mosey back down there w/ a camera.

ask if they'll take scrap value for it while you're there...ya know, like...$300?

FJ40Jim wrote:

Jim if you want I'll talk you through a trans swap using common American transmissions..   A Jag 4 speed is worth too much and they are getting really long in the tooth. 
  I've used a Muncie behind that six, I've also seen a Saganah 4 speed behind it as well as a number of T5 swaps.. IF you can buy a 4-5 speed cheap (and given the number of them out there you should be able to)  it's not all that hard to adapt one to another..

13 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-02 04:27 AM)

A Jag 4 speed is worth too much and they are getting really long in the tooth.

I take it the Jag 4-speed you're referring to isn't a BW55? I've had our engine/transmission/ecu posted for sale on Jag-lovers for over a month now for $300 and only had one email response. It sure would be nice to sell that lump of junk.

I'm thinking OMG is referring to the Jag 4-speed stick.

T-5 trannies from S10 trucks go pretty cheap.

Jim C.

15 (edited by Serj 2010-12-02 11:39 AM)

FJ40Jim wrote:

yeah, and I think he's doing a little tongue-in-cheek about the value of the jag 4sp unit, as he appears to have been trying to sell the whole bulk of iron for little more than scrap value and the jagophiles aren't touching it. I like the T5 idea, lets get some pics of that bad boy and start plotting something. A British sheep perhaps? we could all show up in overalls and flannel shirts!

EDIT: just thought about that one, it'd have to be a british cat, complete with a fat, lazy, garfield-esque cat on the roof.

You should totally do it.  Not sure 'weathered' trim will be picked up by anyone.  Seems to be a huge chunk of the restoration value of them.  I had looked into doing it a few years ago when there were some mk i and mk ii floating around here.  Passed one in a field a couple of weeks ago, sans bonnet, and wanted to turn around for Lemons.

I remember seeing a matte black one doing an autocross, and it was pretty wicked.  Just think, flat black hipster cats!  Garfield could ride the roof.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Serj wrote:
FJ40Jim wrote:

yeah, and I think he's doing a little tongue-in-cheek about the value of the jag 4sp unit, as he appears to have been trying to sell the whole bulk of iron for little more than scrap value and the jagophiles aren't touching it. I like the T5 idea, lets get some pics of that bad boy and start plotting something. A British sheep perhaps? we could all show up in overalls and flannel shirts!

EDIT: just thought about that one, it'd have to be a british cat, complete with a fat, lazy, garfield-esque cat on the roof.

A jaguar manual 4 speed has a high market value.. the automatic's can only be sold in bulk..
  If you had read a little more carefully you would have noted all of the"iron" was engines only.. no transmissions..
By the way everything has been sold at prices far higher than I thought possible.. Turns out there is a serious market for Jaguar engines in South America, and New Zealand.. in bulk if details about shipping etc. can be worked out..
Engines I wouldn't have paid $300 generated $1100 plus shipping and crateing charges.. The XK 140 MC engine sold for $9300.   Even 4.2 sedan engines were $600 each..