Topic: Let the flames begin (kill switch question)

I *really* hated to post and ask this question, but I’ll take the flames over buying another alternator.

First off, yes, our kill switch DOES work as currently wired.  We have run the car in 5 races thus far.  However right before a race earlier this year our alternator up and quit.  Since it was almost new when we bought the car I thought it was odd, but whatever shit breaks right?  Recently it got me thinking that maybe it was due to the voltage spike due to our kill switch being wired incorrectly?  Take a look at the diagram below which show the way ours is currently wired.  The DPST style switch is from Longacre Racing.  Does our current setup lend itself to the infamous spike that can fry the diodes in the alternator?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/Prelude/KillSwitchSchematic.jpg

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: Let the flames begin (kill switch question)

here is the diagram from our kill switch.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/4 … ctions.pdf

It has a resistor going to ground so that current won't feed back into the alternator and fry it.  Not saying this is what happened to your but its possible.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

3 (edited by DaveH 2010-11-22 01:40 PM)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/5199075803_461408d29c_b.jpg

Do this.  Although I hope the big line is going to the starter, not the fuse block.

I also forgot a fusible link.  You should have a 100A or 150A fusible link between the battery and the alternator.  Most cars have these in the wiring harness.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

A few teams use a 3-pole (TPST?) kill switch, using one of the circuits to kill the alternator field coil. According to the super-anal freakos who use this setup, you'll spare the diodes if you kill the field at the same moment you kill the output. I suppose you could also accomplish the same thing with a DPST and a relay controlling the field.

+1 Phil!!!!!!

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Yep - the switch we have has 1 connection that closes when the other two are open. That has the resistor shorted to ground to save the diodes.

If you can wire your secondary set of poles (the primaries are for the battery circuit) so that the poles break the circuit that goes from the "on" position on your ignition switch to the main fuse box, then the kill switch will turn off your car just like turning it off at the ignition switch. This satisfies both the kill switch wiring rule (kill switch must kill both the battery and ignition circuits) and maintains whatever protection for the alt circuit that your vehicle manufacturer originally designed into the car. It's also a hell of a lot easier than figuring out how/why/where to wire in a resistor. YMMV, but this method has worked on my car for the last 2 years without frying any switch or alternator. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

DaveH wrote:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5128/519 … d29c_b.jpg

Do this.  Although I hope the big line is going to the starter, not the fuse block.

Did you look at this diagram? WTH? No don't do this. You have the positive going through the fuse block then back to the positive.  This won't do anything. Car won't run, car won't shut off, nada.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Judge Phil wrote:

A few teams use a 3-pole (TPST?) kill switch, using one of the circuits to kill the alternator field coil. According to the super-anal freakos who use this setup, you'll spare the diodes if you kill the field at the same moment you kill the output. I suppose you could also accomplish the same thing with a DPST and a relay controlling the field.

Plenty of extra relays in those un-used fuse blocks. Shouldn't be to tough to wire up.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

I just use a 2 pole 1 for battery 1 for + coil, alternator won't charge if engine won't run.

It Ain't My Fault

ours is a 2-pole Moroso wired in-line with the relay center on our fire wall. car shuts off and won't turn if none of the relays have a hot (+) connection, nor will the system charge. I sweated that thing pretty hard because there was like 4 models of Moroso Kill switches on jegs and i paid more for the one that was specifically listed for cars with alternators (i assumed incorrectly that this was a 4-pole) it sat in it's shipping box in the garage for a work day to come up and kicked myself when i found it wasn't what i was expecting, 2 weeks outside of the return window. Guess we lucked out!

I've also seen a thousand Lemons cars that don't fry the alternator when they hit the kill switch, so I suspect it might be wise to look elsewhere for the cause of your car's alternaticide.

We've used the nice Pegasus switch BoB linked to on the Neon and are happy with it, but our buddies with the #45 Jetta went a little simpler and did the 4-pole switch wired as Mulry said (battery wire through one set of poles, ign wire through the other) and it worked fine.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

One thing that may help is to have a real "ignition" switch on the dash that's just a replacement for the key switch.  You don't *have* to use the kill switch to turn the car off.  Turn it off with the "ignition" switch then, once the car is no longer running, turn the kill switch as well if you want to be double-safe.

We have a cheapie harbor freight kill switch in the CRX and it worked fine without killing the alternator.  Other issues killed the motor first.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.