Topic: transporting own fuel in California?

Does anyone know what I need to "learn up on" with regards to bringing my own fuel to a the B-willow race? I heard that CHP is having a big crackdown on "utility jugs" when it comes to the desert rats heading to east county. Basically, they are scouting for the filler tubes poking up out of trucks and/or trailered vehicles and pulling folks over to inspect if non-CARB approved containers  contain any fuel. 

I'm thinking to bring a bulk of fuel since I have 3 cars to support and waiting in line at the track (and they could run out ala Sears Pointless) I don't want to make 45 minute RT jaunts to the off site fuel.

Someone on my team suggested gettiing a 55gallon drum of fuel, but I only have an open bed pickup truck at this point (no enclosed trailer to put it in)...

What should I know?

Re: transporting own fuel in California?

DOT regs allow a private individual to haul up to 999 lbs. of fuel without needing a CDL, hazmat certification, or haz placards.  You should be ok with moving 2-3 55 gal. drums of fuel but as an extra precaution you might cover the drums and the rest of your gear with a tarp.
State regs can vary so I'd recommend calling someone at the California DOT and get a ruling.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Really? The CHP doesn't have anything better to do? Honestly, I'll believe this when I see it, and I don't think there are many desert rats heading up the Grapevine.

Having said that, I'll heed the head's up and take the filler caps off my jugs before loading them in the back of my truck so they don't stick up. Regular caps are $5 at Off Road Warehouse.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

4 (edited by TeamDFL 2010-11-24 11:11 AM)

Transport your refueling utility jugs empty and keep fuel in one or more of these legal cans.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/C … c15pfs.htm
15 gal capacity, about $100 plus shipping

EDIT:  $104.73 with free shipping direct from Amazon
Search for "Blitz 11055 Professional Fuel Station - 15 Gallon"

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

LTDScott wrote:

Really? The CHP doesn't have anything better to do?

This is California.  Of course enforcing greenie environmental regulations is more important than catching murderers (or deporting illegal aliens for that matter).

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

DaveH wrote:

This is California.  Of course enforcing greenie environmental regulations is more important than catching murderers (or deporting illegal aliens for that matter).

*rolls eyes*

7 (edited by "Sparky" Pete 2010-11-24 01:02 PM)

Has anyone else noticed that the CARB/EPA California approved "Enviroflo" gas cans that are supposed to keep "harmful vapors" from escaping end up spilling fuel all over your hands, car, shoes and the dirt? Glad no fumes get out.

Or the slight spill and fire danger when the chintzy fill-tube falls off, and the pourer drops the can because his/her arms give out after 20 minutes from fatigue thanks to the three-handed safety valve and the 0.25 gpm flow rate?

Or is it just me?

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

8 (edited by LTDScott 2010-11-24 01:07 PM)

No, it's not just you. The CARB legal cans suck and I have spilled way more fuel using them than a standard can.

I just got two new filler tubes for my standard 5 gallon jugs. Both have screw on caps at the ends of the tubes whereas my old ones did not, so at least that's something.

TeamDFL wrote:

Transport your refueling utility jugs empty and keep fuel in one or more of these legal cans.

http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/C … c15pfs.htm
15 gal capacity, about $100 plus shipping

EDIT:  $104.73 with free shipping direct from Amazon
Search for "Blitz 11055 Professional Fuel Station - 15 Gallon"

Seems to me that that's probably more expensive than the fine.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

just bring your containers empty and fill up at the track.  If memory serves, Buttonwillow is the one track I've been to that the onsite fuel service is pretty much the same cost as any regular gas station.
The worst? I think I recall $8 / gallon at Reno Ferney.
I don't buy any gas that costs more than my tequila

Paluck
Rooster Juice Racing
Bay Area, CA

Fill at the Buttonwillow gas-station Mecca at the 58 turn off - price is fair. Or better, fill at the Flying J in Frazier Park, price is better.
You aren't likely to be stopped north of LA... there are way too few patrols on five as it is.
and really unlikely to be stopped between 58 and the track.

Beyond that - I'm trying to find a supply of the 20g drums and a crank-type dispenser. haven't found any cheap tho'. (all I want is 80 gallons)

I've a line on 2 55g drums @ $20ea
Filled they will weigh 420lbs!
Best to fill at B-willow or 7th standard road.
and yeah, we can only transp. two full at a time.

I was only going to p/u one, let me know if you want me to get the other two.

If I can be assured to be able to get fuel from the track whenever we want it without the typical credit card router issues that I've encountered at the 2 B-willow pumps (with only 1 card terminial), I'd happily buy it all there.

But with 3 cars consuming a combined estimated 10/gallons an hour for about 14 hours... I'm going to need a LOT of fuel... I think I'll just try and bring the one 55gal drum up with me and then fill up jerry cans whenever someone leaves the track for any reason.

[man, I think I'm thinking about this stuff waaaaaay too much. Next thing ya know I'm going to be getting a tattoo or start sewing on patches or something]

14 (edited by Spank 2010-11-24 07:11 PM)

BTW: I called CHP office in Oceanside and the officer on duty didn't know anything about fuel hauling restrictions by private citizens. He said it might be a specific localized enforcement and possibly through the forestry service... Basically he said there's no CHP enforcement that he knows of.

Button Willow just put in new pumps a month ago with new card readers and in the last two trips there we have had no problems at all. Spank i guarantee you will not have a problem or i will personally run down the road and get fuel for you.

Pen

Yeah I really don't think it'll be a problem outside of bro country. There'll be 20k people heading out to Glamis and gordon's for the chp to harass.

Pendejo, what were the prices like?

LTDScott wrote:

Pendejo, what were the prices like?

I was there last month.   I can't remember the exact prices, but for 91 octane it was a lot cheaper to get it at the stations at the Highway 58 exit (10 miles south of the track).

That exit has all the popular brands and some of the cheap ones, plus all of the motels and fast food places within ten or fifteen miles.   For good meals I highly recommend the Willow Ranch restaurant, especially if you like meat.   They have a couple of large tables towards the back and are used to racers.

For more food and lodging info, go to http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ and click on "Food/Hotels".

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

I was mainly wondering what the price difference was between the track and outside stations

91 octane was 10 cents more than in Button Willow hotel area. Not worth the run into town

Pen

I called the CHP.

You can haul 110 gallons without a permit.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Pendejo wrote:

91 octane was 10 cents more than in Button Willow hotel area. Not worth the run into town

Pen

If that's true then I fully agree

Yeah, but Cornhooligans will need to haul from far away - I haven't seen E85 listed near B-willow at all.
Oh, I didn't see them on the team roster (as cornhooligans) either.
Oh well

I will be at BW testing two new Spec E30s on Weds so i will post up the prices of the fuel when we get there.

pen