Topic: Kielbasa Kids Civic wins, Alfas come in 2nd, 3rd, 4th!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/07/504x_Winner_Kielbasa.jpg

You don't need tons of horsepower to win Lemons! The Kielbasa Kids took the win by a huge 72-lap margin, with the three Alfas coming in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Re: Kielbasa Kids Civic wins, Alfas come in 2nd, 3rd, 4th!

no surprise...that car was hella fast last year, too.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

ummm what was their "theme?"

FreeRange wrote:

Had I been judging that race, they'd have been given a lot of spray paint and ordered to create a theme on the spot.

5 (edited by BlackSheep1 2009-07-13 03:30 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

...The Kielbasa Kids took the win by a huge 72-lap margin, with the three Alfas coming in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Am I reading that correctly?  72 laps between 1st and 2nd?!?

There were only 70 laps separating 1st and 20th at CMP this past spring and seconds separating 1 and 2.

6 (edited by Tajracing45 2009-07-12 05:36 PM)

whoa...72 laps?  Damn you Black Speep I was just about to say the same damn thing!!   tongue

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Well, that just helps proove Murilee's point about there is no better Lemons racing than Lemons South at CMP!! 
Just wait till Jay comes down to Florida...we'll show you what real racin' is!

We are the people your parents warned you about.

BlackSheep1 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

...The Kielbasa Kids took the win by a huge 72-lap margin, with the three Alfas coming in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

The laps at Stafford were very short, like 30 seconds each. Still, that's more than a half-hour lead between the #1 and #2 cars. Avoid penalties and don't break, even in a car with double-digit horsepower, and good things happen!

9 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-07-12 05:40 PM)

Tajracing45 wrote:

Don't you mean you'll show us what real cheatin' is?

MurileeMartin wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

Had I been judging that race, they'd have been given a lot of spray paint and ordered to create a theme on the spot.

not only was their "theme" terrible, but the car is identical to the way it looked last year @ Stafford.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

MurileeMartin wrote:
Tajracing45 wrote:

I agree.  It's sickening how the other 93 teams at CMP cheated in the spring. 

It just made our 9th place finish that much more sweet since we would never, ever even consider bending a rule, much less breaking one.

They could have at least hung phony sausages all over the car and dressed up as butchers or something.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

BlackSheep1 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
Tajracing45 wrote:

I agree.  It's sickening how the other 93 teams at CMP cheated in the spring. 

It just made our 9th place finish that much more sweet since we would never, ever even consider bending a rule, much less breaking one.

Ha ha ha ha ha! I love that Southern sense of humor! See you at CMP!

MurileeMartin wrote:
BlackSheep1 wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

The laps at Stafford were very short, like 30 seconds each. Still, that's more than a half-hour lead between the #1 and #2 cars. Avoid penalties and don't break, even in a car with double-digit horsepower, and good things happen!

This is true, when we were on track the Fox FLEW....  However the black flags and the loss of our braking system cost us any sort of decent finsh!

Had a great time though, and we hope everyone enjoyed my black flag victory lap!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

15 (edited by shottgun20 2009-07-12 10:07 PM)

that thing was fast, yeah they were great chea...drivers, but damn that thing was flat and flat out

Pete -  fastISH and the FURRiest (cheetah fur Volvo wagon)

http://www.facebook.com/peter.granata

Yeah, VERY fast, and very well piloted, but definately NOT in the spirit of the thing. Flat white with a few plain red letters IS NOT a theme.

Oh, and no Civic with under 100 HP is gonna easily power past my 280+HP Mark VIII on the straight. The laws of physics dictate such. Kudos to them for the win and the excellent driving, but that thing has been heavily (and discreetly) breathed on.

Let's encourage them to make the car INTERESTING for next year, not just fast. They have an extra $1500 and a car that's still mint, they can afford it. smile

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

17 (edited by DaveG 2009-07-15 04:04 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

Oh, and no Civic with under 100 HP is gonna easily power past my 280+HP Mark VIII on the straight. The laws of physics dictate such.

Maybe, maybe not. smile Our cow had 115 HP when it came out of the factory, and 212K miles later probably has about 90 now, and I'd guess only about, oh,  70-80 at the wheels. Still, all weekend long we were driving past "faster" cars on the straight because we carried more speed coming out onto the oval. Of course it took us most of the straight to do it, but it did give the illusion of more power than we had.

Three times over the weekend people asked us what engine we had in that beast. They didn't seem to believe it was stock until we raised the hood and showed off our measly little scrap of rusty, wheezy 4-banger.

Dave -- member emeritus, Vermont Bert One --

DaveG wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

Oh, and no Civic with under 100 HP is gonna easily power past my 280+HP Mark VIII on the straight. The laws of physics dictate such.

Maybe, maybe not. smile Our cow had 115 HP when it came out of the factory, and 212K miles later probably has about 90 now, and I'd guess only about, oh,  70-80 at the wheels. Still, all weekend long we were driving past "faster" cars on the straight because we carried more speed coming out onto the oval. Of course it took us most of the straight to do it, but it did give the illusion of more power than we had.

Three times over the weekend people asked us what engine we had in that beast. They didn't seem to believe it was stock until we raised the hood and showed off our measly little scrap of rusty, wheezy 4-banger.

I have to agree here, our VW Fox had all of 80 HP from the factory and while its quite light we were able to power past almost everyone coming through nascar turn 4 to the straight from carrying our speed out on to the oval.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I just want to say congradulations to anyone that finished at Stafford. These events are great and I look forward to doing more.

I was one of the drivers on the #29 Kielbasa Kids car.

Horsepower is not the key to passing, being able to handle the turns with never using the brakes and never backing off the throttle is how you pass. We could stay on the floorboard from the middle of the last s-turn to the start-finish line. Momentum builds fast!!

Having a 280hp car that weighes over 3000lbs that body rolls and can not stay in the throttle without spinning is not the fastest way around the track. Our car is around 100hp and weighes less than 2000lbs. And it handles great!! Horsepower does not win endurance races.

Those Hondas are surprising on the track!! We also entered the #33 flat black Honda. That car would have been in the top 5 if the distributor did not break and a driver did not have a penalty.

Penalties hurt you at this event, drive clean and stay on the track and you will do well at Lemons.

We all had a great time at the event!! We look forward to next year!!

Good luck to anyone else entering a Lemons race!!

Kielbasa Kids
89 Honda Civic

20 (edited by sbarton 2009-07-16 09:28 AM)

Exactly.  Our E30 318 4cyl had about 135hp from the factory (probably slightly less now at 150k miles).  Not having a whole lot of horsepower worked to our advantage as we could put the throttle down from the apex of the bus stop just before entering the oval and keep it down until just before the start/finish line.  With all the weight removed from the rear end, the car would start to oversteer around 3/4 way around the oval, but a little countersteer allowed us to keep the throttle down and keep the car at the limit of adheason the whole time. 
It seemed like a lot of the faster cars could not accelerate around the oval as they would either push or oversteer (or both), making it easy for us to drive around them.  Had it not been for our exit speed on the oval, they probably would have been able to overtake us on the straight. 

We had an absolute blast on this track as our little car seemed to be made for it.  I never had to take it out of 3rd gear unless we got into a yellow flag situation. 

It was great meeting and racing with all of you guys. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

HondaPowered wrote:

Having a 280hp car that weighes over 3000lbs that body rolls and can not stay in the throttle without spinning is not the fastest way around the track. Our car is around 100hp and weighes less than 2000lbs. And it handles great!! Horsepower does not win endurance races.

This I know, yet it seemed as though, even when matched with our speed, you guys could pull away with ease. Like I said, kudos to you for bringing a kickass race car, and driving the wheels off it!

We'd have a far easier time going faster with a lighter car, but we wanted to have the first Mark VIII in the History of Lemons (and still the ONLY one), and I think we did pretty well with the big sloppy pig we have. We'd like to get at least one more race out of it, so those of you who make South Fall will see it again. Expect some changes, though it remains to be seen if they will help us much at CMP. We were about 5 seconds off the winning pace there, which is a lot, even at lap times of over a minute. We've never even tuned the car up! I think we'll start there...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

The KK Civic drove one of the most textbook Lemons races ever. That said, it definitely wouldn't hurt to beef up the team concept for next time. Kielbasa for everyone would be a simple start....

23 (edited by UDMan 2009-07-16 06:23 PM)

This was really our first time testing the Corvair, and yea, it was slow, but it was reliable. Now we know what she will do, and what needs fixing. In reality, it can all be traced to the carbs, and it was my decision to do a crappy rebuild instead of stepping up to the plate, and installing new ones. The other thing is to replace the braking system with a true dual master cylinder, and (front) disc brake conversion. And the last thing will be to convert the rear suspension to a 1964 unit, that fixed the wheel tuck under problem we all (including the rest of you) experienced circling around the track.

In conclusion, this was one kick ass race, and I want to congratulate everyone who competed. Special shout outs to the Kielbasa Kids for doing a textbook finish, The Jackal and Hyde Volvo for watching our rig on Friday Night, the Adopted by Jets Saab 99 for really making the IOE so competitive, The Chard Beef boys for being themselves all weekend, the Victors of War team for hanging out with us on a rainy Saturday Night, and Cap'n Slow Racing for, well, you know what you guys did. I wish I had the time to sit back and get to know every one else who competed during the weekend. See you all next year.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

The KK Civic drove one of the most textbook Lemons races ever. That said, it definitely wouldn't hurt to beef up the team concept for next time.

http://www.klements.com/racing_sausages/racing-sausages-color.jpg

I like the sausage guys!!!

Nic, we did  hand out kielbasa sandwiches to the tech guys. Are you telling me you and Jay did not a kielbasa sandwich!!!!! We also had a grill bolted to the exhaust, we were grilling kielbasa going thru tech.

We may work on the theme alittle.

Honda lawnmover maybe..........

Kielbasa Kids
89 Honda Civic