Re: Doors/Sheet Metal Chopdown Rule Updates?

Markdas wrote:

Do we need to run with bumbers in 2011 I wonder?  I noticed a lot of cars have done away with them.....we have been considering removing ours too?

people have been required to add bumpers in past races to pass tech.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

New rules for 2011 will include provision for additional mandatory safety equipment - this can be bought here

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

G7owl wrote:

New rules for 2011 will include provision for additional mandatory safety equipment - this can be bought here

you didn't post the link for the SFI-rated version. though you make me wonder how that would take to fiberglass...

The rules will be out soon, I just recommend that you keep your doors and don't hack on your car until you see them...   Simple, no?

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Nope not simple at all............

What about prior damage as already mentioned?  What happens if we pick up damage in the race and we distort a crumple zone, are we out?

Do people think its going to get harder to obtain genuine cars for $500 or less that have not been properly repaired?

I admire the drvie for safety and to be honest I think the tech inspection is more rigourous than other events I have been close too....but Im not clear on the reasons for the no shortening thing?  Is this for safety, to stop people gaining too much advantage due to wieght reduction etc?  Another example would be the amazing backwars truck....he reduced his rear dimensions by about 10 feet?  Surely that guy isn't going to find himself out in 2011 after such a monumental effort?

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

If I have to take a wild guess it's the crx that got mangled by an mr2 at autobahn.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

I heard that mentioned, but wasn't that a case of building the car with effectively nerf bars?  The rules already state, no nerf bars and I agree with that, we are not stock car and demolition racers, no contact is the object.

rpone605 wrote:

If I have to take a wild guess it's the crx that got mangled by an mr2 at autobahn.

+1

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

34 (edited by Mulry 2010-12-01 05:30 AM)

Pretty sure this rule change was on the drawing board well before that incident. Bear in mind that the CRX had its full factory crush zone in place. The MR2 did not have nerf bars or "effectively nerf bars." It had tubular steel bumpers made from leftover roll cage steel that were reinforced back to the shock towers which helped protect the MR2 driver. The reduced crush zone on the MR2 would have been a problem but for the lack of that reinforcement.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I don't have all the facts of that incident, so im not challenging anyone on this, Im just not clear on the reasons for the new rule or the implications.  Perhaps its the fabrication of after market bumpers that should be banned.  New cars have impact absorbing dampers but I guess big ol Lincolns and Pontiacs have iron girders in there to ram their way trhough traffic?

I'm totaly behind the leaders of this fantastic event in making it safe, but, as newbies with a couple of races under our belt and so many ideas inspired by the good folks of Lemons....we feel a bit in limbo as to what may change that will stop us racing in February......and it just doesn't feel right to say....best thing is to do nothing, leave your car as it is, don't change it, don't make it stick out or look stupid.....I just don't imagine Jayy Lamm standing in front of us all with his loud hailer.....telling us to keep it normal.....not after being inspired by his reasons for starting Lemons in the first place.....it wasn't to have yet another, normal race!

Markdas wrote:

I don't have all the facts of that incident, so im not challenging anyone on this, Im just not clear on the reasons for the new rule or the implications.

See post 8, above, for the reasons for the rule change. In short, safety + risk management.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Its motorsport...............

38 (edited by Mulry 2010-12-01 09:15 AM)

Well, sort of. It's Lemons, which is motorsport-ish. But it ends if the insurance goes away. That's just a sad fact of modern life. Once Lemons grew beyond a friends-and-family-event-at-Altamont, it's necessary.

Besides, it's not like not cutting down the crush zones really restricts your creativity all that much. Browse around for photos of your Org Choice winners -- those tend to be teams that go above and beyond in the theme department. Very few (if any) of those had cut-down cars. You can have a great theme and a ton of fun without jeopardizing your crush zones.

39 (edited by Serj 2010-12-01 09:54 AM)

a lot of people really take it to the MR2 (TARP/Condition Orange) guys but the whole intent with their bumper work appears to me like an attempt to mitigate a potentially worse problem, such as the fact they race on the same track as crown vics. imagine if their full stock nose was on there and the CRX was Randy Pobst's cheater vic. it would have weged itself up underneath that car in a heartbeat and the driver would have a face full of bumper. While the whole Autobahn occurrence was a one-off in my mind, it does illustrate the need to continually improve the safety of everyone involved. Jay really HATES adding rules to the list, as he admits; but the whole point is that everyone meets on a level playing field.

all that being said, my biggest concern with the possibility of these rule updates is that it may render 60-70% of the currently racing Lemons cars as non-compliant, and flush the toilet we all love to circle. This also may stagnate innovation like the bass ackwards F150/Crown Vic as mentioned previously. This could definitely be a huge game-changer, and perhaps even prevent zany monstrosities we all love (the Bradley GT and the Tyrell-Corvette mashup Speedy just picked up comes to mind) from ever seeing the track!

John; The snow just started falling and my garage has no insulation so I'm more reluctant to get hacking on the buick. keep us in the loop, thanks!

40 (edited by Markdas 2010-12-01 12:28 PM)

Mulry/Serj, some good points and very balanced.....I shall stop sulking and get my creative juices flowing again, get Steve back on with his welder and Ray with the grinder.......maybe add some length and have a stretch E30 with extra crumple zones!

Cheers guys!

Mark

I think they'll be able to write it so that most of the cars racing now will still be eligible.  I expect an "original shadow" rule, by which you can't take significant amounts of structure out of the car.  Cut off the roof - fine.  Remove the trunklid - fine.  Just don't chop three feet off the back of your crown vic.

As far as the complaint about cars that have sustained damage - if the car has been hit hard enough that the crumple zone has crumpled, you won't be driving it on a track anyway (at least not for long).  That kind of impact will cause enough carnage with the suspension mounting points that the car won't really be very driveable.

FWIW, my car is one that will be banned by this rule change, and I'm not too broken up about it.  I had no problem taking the sawzall to it and putting parts up on CL.  This is Lemons.  These cars are disposable, remember?

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

\rant\

Sorry to drag this out guys, but I'm having a hard time understanding this.  Ok so say I don't chop any part of the car, factory crush zones are intact and everything is rainbows and tweety birds because the lawyers say that's good enough to race. Based on what has been written by others so far, I'd like to put the following to you....

I take my lawyer approved car and I swap the engine from a little 2 litre 4 banger to a 6 litre V8....the car is still the same dimensions, but now it's 400lbs heavier at the front and the design parameters never included such a lump in the engine bay and the crush zones are not adequate to cope with the addition weight and increased performance of the car.  Lawyers still say it's good to race with, but although the crush zones are still the right shape, they are not adequate enough for the modified vehicle.

Similarly, there is a post in the 'Cars For Sale' section of this forum with a link pointing to a tiny little Subaru that would make an epic Lemons car that, left as is, would be deemed safe to race - yet if I take a modest chunk out of the arse of my Crown Vic, it's still safer than the Subaru by a long way, but the lawyers say it's not?  Does that even make the slightest sense to anyone?

Somebody has said that Lemons has grown from a friends and family event to something much larger and must change to remain alive. I don't really agree with that, Lemons has grown so popular BECAUSE of the format, not in spite of it. Changing the formula will change Lemons and I don't think that the majority of LeMoners would welcome that. It seems to me that Lemons people cheer the loudest for the guy that take the most inconceivably inappropriate vehicle and makes it race. Take that out of the format and it would be all the poorer for it, both to watch and to participate in.

And another thing, while I'm on a rant I might as well go for broke..safety., yes, I'd like everybody that turns up to race to go home in roughly the same shape they arrived in, but it's Motorsport (not 'sort of'...it IS Motorsport) and there is inherent danger in that. If you can't accept that there is a chance you might get hurt then go suit up and drive bumper-cars, if your mom will give you the dollar for the ticket.

So what's my point?  My point is that I have a fear that this new rule about chopping is going to lead to some ridiculous irony between what is deemed safe and what isn't and as Markdas has already said, we'd like something more than just saying 'Don't Chop Your Car' because that doesn't explain why the rule is being introduced and what the aim of the rule really is and we need to understand in order to accept. 'No Chopping' doesn't solve the problem of how to regulate the structural integrity of a vehicle in a collision without expanding the rule to cover things like increasing the performance of a body shell beyond the original design or racing in an inherently more dangerous vehicle (e.g. cars made pre crush-zone technology, salvaged vehicles that were insurance write-offs due to chassis impact damage, etc).

Maybe it's time the lawyers really earned their money by drafting a document that I could sign that would indemnify Lemons from both me suing them and preventing anyone else suing them on my behalf. Perhaps then we could get on with the serious business of having fun without worrying what some suit-wearing legal-muppet with a bad moustache thinks.

\end rant\

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

43 (edited by DaveH 2010-12-02 10:10 AM)

G7owl wrote:

\rant\
I take my lawyer approved car and I swap the engine from a little 2 litre 4 banger to a 6 litre V8....the car is still the same dimensions, but now it's 400lbs heavier at the front and the design parameters never included such a lump in the engine bay and the crush zones are not adequate to cope with the addition weight and increased performance of the car.  Lawyers still say it's good to race with, but although the crush zones are still the right shape, they are not adequate enough for the modified vehicle.

The car your proposing has not had any pieces cut off of it and therefore has nothing to do with this rule.  Debating whether cars that have not been chopped are safe doesn't have anything to do with that fact that cars that have been chopped probably aren't.  You can do any number of things to a car to make it unsafe, this rule only deals with one of them.

I'm not sure what all the ranting in this thread is about.  This isn't a difficult thing.  No chopped-down cars.  Think of it like the "180+ treadwear only" rule.  Who cares why its a rule?  Its a rule.  Follow it.  Not cutting your car to pieces isn't that difficult. 

Everyone seems to be focusing on the crumple zones, but I think the bigger piece of this is how exposed you are when you start removing body parts (especially doors).  I'll post it again:

http://www.murileemartin.com/LDF10Uber/Detroit_Fall10-0726.jpg

This isn't safe.  I drove it anyway because I'm a frakking idiot.  The first time I autocrossed this car, I strapped in, set my drink on the ground, and put my helmet on.  We added the driver's door back on after that.  Either way, I have a feeling this is the type of thing this rule is meant to prevent.  Its purpose will not be to make sure you have adequately engineered crumple zones.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

DaveH wrote:

Everyone seems to be focusing on the crumple zones, but I think the bigger piece of this is how exposed you are when you start removing body parts (especially doors).

I hope "door skins" are viewed in the same light as complete doors. 

And what about a 4 door w/ the 2 rear doors removed? 
Or a wagon w/ the rear hatch removed?

those 2 things would probably disqualify 20% of existing cars.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

45 (edited by G7owl 2010-12-02 10:51 AM)

DaveH wrote:

Who cares why its a rule?  Its a rule.  Follow it.  Not cutting your car to pieces isn't that difficult.

I care why it's a rule, a lot of others probably care too. Not cutting your car to pieces is easy if you're talking about a future event...but what if it's already happened and your car that you have put hundreds of hours into is one of those that don't meet the new requirements. Wouldn't you want to know a little more about why that's the case to make it a little easier on your soul as you contemplate starting the whole process all over again?

Yes, Lemons cars are disposable, but it's one thing to have your car die on track as is its destiny, it's another thing when some rule change means your race chariot is now no more than a pile of scrap, dribbling oil on your garage floor.

A car that has been chopped probably wont be as safe as it was pre-chop, but it could still be on the track with un-chopped cars that despite being whole are nonetheless not as safe as the chopped car. You don't see that as an imbalance at all? You don't think that we should be looking at cars, not in terms of has it been chopped, but in terms of 'as it is, is it safe to race'?

This is why people (organizers) don't like to give out hints about upcoming changes.  Wait until the actual rules are released then debate it.  Ranting about it right now is ranting about an unspecified, unreleased rule.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

This is why people (organizers) don't like to give out hints about upcoming changes.  Wait until the actual rules are released then debate it.  Ranting about it right now is ranting about an unspecified, unreleased rule.

I think though, that this one has some importance and people are taking advantage of the relatively open forum here to ponder, postulate, and provide input on the issue. We all know by now that making an uninformed or even misinformed decision can cause a lot of crap to go down (the curse rule changes, for example were resultant from a misinformed and under-attended vote. Maybe it was bound to happen, but that's one Lemons "tradition" that's been all but erased. When was the last successful vote? cmp spring?

This upcoming rule change may have similar repercussions, albeit one that may not easily be seen in foresight. I for one, heralded the superlight Vic, although i did feel a bit uncomfortable tailing it the few times i did. Dave's certainly glad it's over, but it's that wild oddity that lends itself to the spectacle of Lemons!

I am very happy so far that we've had a very mature discussion from both sides of the fence on this issue. It shows what a great community has been built around this race series, and it illustrates everyone's concerns to balance safety with fanfare.

G7owl, I think you raise some fine points. I also think you should take it up with Jay.

One note, though. There's no such thing in our legal system as an ironclad indemnity agreement and/or waiver/disclaimer of rights. It cannot exist anymore than I can fuel my car with unicorn tears. There are lengthy legal and public policy arguments both in favor of and in opposition to an ironclad disclaimer, but this is neither the time nor the place for them, as most everybody around here would be bored silly within the first paragraph. I agree with you in your wish that it did exist, but it doesn't and all the pointy-headed lawyering in the world won't change that.

49 (edited by G7owl 2010-12-02 12:30 PM)

dculberson wrote:

What would be the good in a debate after the fact? Now is the time for debate when there is a chance that concerns and ideas, if they have merit, might actually influence the wording for the good, surely?

WELL,  in my late tech arrival, I got GOT for needing a few more bars protecting my gas tank.  IT IS a crown vic chassis, most of the floor to the rear footing area, and of course the firewall, THATS it for crown vic.  I have full body SKIN, it was that backwards truck!!  I needed more pading on the bars, better mounting for my fire extinguisher, and more protection for the tank..  I have found a larger tank that will sit diff, so some fab will take place but I was going to ad bars anyway..  I have cut at least 12" off the "rear" frame rails.  I also had to cut about 8" off the bottom of the cab, and some off the skins, so it wouldnt drag the ground..   My structural support is a complete roll cage front to back. Im protected significantly and undoubtedly..   I have a pic before the body got put on, if that would help???

Team Azz Backwards Yankee,  Nick